Difference between Australian and American style cruising

The point I have tried to raise is that these ships P&O Australia operate are no longer with their original lines for good reason. They are no longer marketable and cannot compete with the ultra modern competition.

In the last few years we have seen giants like Oasis of the Seas, QM2, lengthy roll outs of new cruise ships.

The ships P&O Australia have are the ones that have been run through and rejected as old, out of date has beens by their respective lines. That is why we have them.

As I said I will not sail with P&O Australia - I will back that up based on my Grandparents and Parents reviews. They have both been with Princess. They are ordinary people, they dont do fine dining and their night out is to the local bowling club or RSL club for a meal and old time dancing.

Based on prices and what is offered on board has also strengthened my desire not to sail with P&O Australia.

However the above reasons about why we have these ships is indisputable. Unfortunately we are not getting new ships for that fleet as peopel are used to the hand-me-downs. We should consider ourselves extremely lucky that Royal Caribbean is sending out Radiance, Voyager, Solstice, Carnival responding with Spirit. Now 2011/2012 we are getting state of the art ships. The US and UK had new ships 20+ years ago.

Looks like I've started a lively debate. Didn't meant to be controversial.

And I'm afraid this might end up stirring the post even more but I think that Carnival made the right decision in doing away with tipping on the Spirit. I'm sure they'll just build what they normally add on top of the fare as tips actually into the fare. So they'll figure out what the fare should be and then add $11 a day to that and charge that at the fare. Personally, I think the president of Celebrity was very misguided in his statement that "Celebrity would teach Aussies how to tip."

Who has the right idea Carnival or Celebrity?

Hi Sutho,

Yes - we know that the ships that P&O and Princess have based in Australia were formerly part of other cruiselines' fleets. That is a fact. However, it is not reasonable to state the reason this has happened when we do not know. Unless we were in the boardroom (or planning department) of Carnival we cannot know all the reasons and it is not reasonable to state your opinion as a fact.

Please consider that these ships that have been re-located to Australia have been replaced by larger ships that are suited to (for instance) the Caribbean ports where they can cope with four or more superliners, whereas the larger ships cannot dock in many of our Pacific ports. Another factor could be our smaller population and how many people want to book on a particular cruise. It would not be good business to base a 6,000 passenger ship here if they could only fill half the cabins and at nearly all the ports they had to use tenders.

All I am sugggesting is that there are probably many factors that were taken into consideration when planing the placement of ships.

AND - to call all P&O AUS ships "rustbuckets" (especially on HEARSAY for family/anybody) is nonsense.

or a matter of "don't confuse me with the facts - I've already made up my mind!"

Hasn't been there - hasn't done it - will never do it - but doesn't like it!!

Barry

We should consider ourselves extremely lucky that Royal Caribbean is sending out Radiance, Voyager, Solstice, Carnival responding with Spirit.

Don't get too excited - apart from Carnival Spirit, the rest of these are "fly-by-nights!" Carpetbaggers!

Barry

Don't get too excited - apart from Carnival Spirit, the rest of these are "fly-by-nights!" Carpetbaggers!

Barry

Exactly! And Carnival Spirit will be managed by the same team that manage P&O Australia. If they had brought these older ships to Australia, as they were and made no improvements or did no renovations, I could understand Sutho's "logic" (and I use the word "logic" loosely). But Pacific Dawn, Jewel and Pearl were all renovated beautifully. The Sun wasn't but, if the many rumours are true, she's on her way to being sold and leaving the fleet early next year anyway.

Nothing wrong with taking guidance from a parent or grandparent. But it's incredibly ignorant to write these ships off having never experienced one. If anything, your grandparents advice tells me you simply shouldn't try the Sun. But how about the other three ships in P&O's fleet?

The ships P&O Australia have are the ones that have been run through and rejected as old, out of date has beens by their respective lines. That is why we have them..

But they have not been rejected, all these ships were built for Carnival Group companies and remain firmly in the Carnival family.

However the above reasons about why we have these ships is indisputable. Unfortunately we are not getting new ships for that fleet as peopel are used to the hand-me-downs. We should consider ourselves extremely lucky that Royal Caribbean is sending out Radiance, Voyager, Solstice, Carnival responding with Spirit. Now 2011/2012 we are getting state of the art ships. The US and UK had new ships 20+ years ago.

But are the Royal Caribbean ships not hand me down's too? Realistically if they had not been displaced in their prior markets by new tonnage, or those markets were growing at a pace that would sustain them, then they would not be sent here. With a population of around 23mil, we are a long way - read long way, from justifying the investment in a new build by a cruise company. Under 500,000 Australians take a cruise each year, that represents 2.17% of the population. If a similar percentage of the American population took a cruise then the market size is 5,859,000 - 11 times the Australian market - Europe is similar. That is why the cruise companies will invest there and pay only a passing glance at Australia, dipping a toe in the market to see what happens.

As a final point, if you want to cruise in the South Pacific then good luck with Royal Carribean, Celebrity or Holland America in our winter months, these ships are here for the European and American off season, when the profits are there to be made in the northern summer, then they chase the dollar and head north again.

David

Your mature and logical points are well made.

There is another possible reason why these ships are coming here at this time . Because newer ships have indeed been introduced to the US/UK/European markets - all mostly large and "glitzy" and VERY expensive to build - perhaps they can no longer fill these older ships ( imagine calling Voyager "older" :) ) as everybody now wants ONLY the latest and the greatest?? I made reference elsewhere about experience being like a one-way ratchet tool. Once you have ratcheted upwards, you cannot go backwards. But following that logic, it would mean that all people everywhere would only ever want to cruise in the latest huge cruiseliner launched this year - anything else to some here would be passé.. But this is impossible. We are too small a market - and juvenile "bashing" of a cruiseline who has established a PERMANENT base here and sticks with the fickle market here will not achieve anything.

Barry

Maybe Australia could follow the lead of these brands, which are not new ships, quite the contrary. Mein Schiff 1 and 2 are former medium size Celebrity ships -

More and more people are discovering the attraction of a holiday at sea. With Hapag-Lloyd Kreuzfahrten and TUI Cruises, TUI AG’s portfolio has two quality brands offering the maritime holiday experience for different target groups.

Hapag-Lloyd Kreuzfahrten is the leading expedition and luxury cruise operator in the German-speaking area. The fleet includes the cruise ships MS Europa (5-star plus*), MS Hanseatic (5-star*), MS Bremen (4-star*) and MS Columbus (3-star plus*).

Hapag-Lloyd Kreuzfahrten offers a broad range of cruise experiences: hundreds of destinations, on-board and excursions to suit every taste, short cruises to recharge the battery, cruises for bons vivants and connoisseurs.

A permanent player in the luxury segment, MS Europa was awarded the ‘5-star plus’ rating for the eleventh time in succession by the Berlitz Cruise Guide 2011. The ‘world’s most beautiful yacht’ offers cruises for sophisticated travellers. Holidaymakers boarding the MS Hanseatic and MS Bremen will leave on an expedition cruise that shows them the world in a different light. Destinations in all continents are also offered by MS Columbus, with tours offering plenty of fun and entertainment.

* According to Berlitz Cruise Guide

Picture gallery

Click here to see the complete picture gallery.

The formation of TUI Cruises in the financial year 2008 paved the way for entry to the premium volume market for cruises.

The joint venture between TUI AG and Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. has offered sea tours for the German-speaking market since the spring of 2009 on board its ‘Mein Schiff 1’.

’Mein Schiff 1’ is the fleet’s first ship and has been designed for well-being and relaxation from fore to aft. With this format, TUI Cruises is primarily targeting couples and families who appreciate plenty of space, quality and generous personal service. The ship has undergone extensive conversion to offer state-of-the-art fittings with numerous service restaurants, a spa area covering 1,700 square metres, spacious balconies and loungers on deck to relax.

The second ship will be named “Mein Schiff 2” and is to be commissioned in May 2011.TUI Cruises expanded its fleet in May 2011 when it put its second ship to sea – the "Mein Schiff 2". Just as its sister ship, which has an identical design, the Mein Schiff 2 is a feel-good ship. Besides the established facilities and services that guests already appreciate on the Mein Schiff 1, passengers on the new ship can discover many more highlights on board. And the cruise line is continuing its fleet expansion: In September 2011 TUI Cruises sealed a contract with Finnish shipyard STX for delivery of a new ship in 2014.

Exactly! And Carnival Spirit will be managed by the same team that manage P&O Australia. If they had brought these older ships to Australia, as they were and made no improvements or did no renovations, I could understand Sutho's "logic" (and I use the word "logic" loosely). But Pacific Dawn, Jewel and Pearl were all renovated beautifully. The Sun wasn't but, if the many rumours are true, she's on her way to being sold and leaving the fleet early next year anyway.

Nothing wrong with taking guidance from a parent or grandparent. But it's incredibly ignorant to write these ships off having never experienced one. If anything, your grandparents advice tells me you simply shouldn't try the Sun. But how about the other three ships in P&O's fleet?

I agree with your comments, but the Pacific Sun was extensively renovated before coming to Aust. We cruised on her to Alaska when she was the Carnival Jubilee and she was rather delapidated with the carpets threadbare in places and looking very worn out. By the way the ship was full and nearly all the passengers were Americans. They were obviously prepared to sail on the ship in that condition. :)

Hapag-Lloyd Kreuzfahrten is the leading expedition and luxury cruise operator in the German-speaking area. The fleet includes the cruise ships MS Europa (5-star plus*), MS Hanseatic (5-star*), MS Bremen (4-star*) and MS Columbus (3-star plus*).

German speaking area = Germany and Austria?? Total population 90 million, GDP per capita approx $40000.

Australian speaking area = Australia , Tasmania and NZ :) Total population 27 million. GDP per capita approx $40,000 (New Zealanders and Tasmanians can wish here :) )

You can do the maths!! regarding what/how many "luxury" ships we can sustain.

Barry

Interesting views from people.

I only done 3 cruises being with P&O. On the Sun , Dawn & Jewel. I know P&O ships are a 3.5 * rating compared to the newer 5* ships from the USA.

To me, cruising is all about having fun ,a relaxing time, meeting new friends, exploring new destinations. We have just returned from a 16 night cruise on the Jewel and have some lovely memories from it. Next year we are on the Jewel again with friends we met on the Dawn last year. In April ,2013 we are sailing on the Celebrity Solstice from Sydney to Honolulu. This is furtherst we have travelled so looking forward to talking to Americans about their counrty etc for when we eventuallly visit.

I've always found the staff onboard to be lovely people. Its great getting to know them and about their families and homeland cultures. They work long hours for little pay but always have a smile to greet you with. Unfortunately , I have seen some passengers treat them like slaves :( I always treat them as I would like to be treated.

As long as I have a clean cabin ,comfy bed, meals, entertainment and happy people to talk to I will have a great time regardless of the * ratings !!

Interesting views from people.

I only done 3 cruises being with P&O. On the Sun , Dawn & Jewel. I know P&O ships are a 3.5 * rating compared to the newer 5* ships from the USA.

To me, cruising is all about having fun ,a relaxing time, meeting new friends, exploring new destinations. We have just returned from a 16 night cruise on the Jewel and have some lovely memories from it. Next year we are on the Jewel again with friends we met on the Dawn last year. In April ,2013 we are sailing on the Celebrity Solstice from Sydney to Honolulu. This is furtherst we have travelled so looking forward to talking to Americans about their counrty etc for when we eventuallly visit.

I've always found the staff onboard to be lovely people. Its great getting to know them and about their families and homeland cultures. They work long hours for little pay but always have a smile to greet you with. Unfortunately , I have seen some passengers treat them like slaves :( I always treat them as I would like to be treated.

As long as I have a clean cabin ,comfy bed, meals, entertainment and happy people to talk to I will have a great time regardless of the * ratings !!

I agree with your attitude. My enjoyment of a cruise is made up of many factors, the star rating of the ship being only one of them. I feel that the people I meet, how the staff treat me, the ports of call and the weather are each as important as how new the ship is.:)

Wow Sutho, you really dislike P & O don't you which is strange to hear someone so vehemently opposed to something with out even trying it first hand.:confused:

We went on Pacific Sun last year and although she is the oldest of the P&O ships, we had a fantastic time. We found the crew were fantastic and couldn't do enough for you the entertainment was great and the activities varied and plentiful, it was spotlessly clean and the food was just fine. Also, being an older ship, the cabins are very large by industry standards.

Have you seen photos of the tasteful refurb Pacific Pearl has had she looks beautiful and elegant and has heaps of deck space. I have had two friends who have cruised on her and loved it, one has been twice.

We are going to try Pacific Pearl ourselves in June 2012, can't wait!!:D

P & O still offer a great holiday and cruise experience and just remember that not everyone wants to cruise on a huge, glitzy, flashy Las Vegas inspired ship. To my mind new is not necessarily better, just newer. .....To each his own but I would not sledge a cruise ship or line that I hadn't cruised on.:rolleyes:

The point I have tried to raise is that these ships P&O Australia operate are no longer with their original lines for good reason. They are no longer marketable and cannot compete with the ultra modern competition.

In the last few years we have seen giants like Oasis of the Seas, QM2, lengthy roll outs of new cruise ships.

The ships P&O Australia have are the ones that have been run through and rejected as old, out of date has beens by their respective lines. That is why we have them.

As I said I will not sail with P&O Australia - I will back that up based on my Grandparents and Parents reviews. They have both been with Princess. They are ordinary people, they dont do fine dining and their night out is to the local bowling club or RSL club for a meal and old time dancing.

Based on prices and what is offered on board has also strengthened my desire not to sail with P&O Australia.

also Sutho how can you pass judgment on a company like p&o that you have never cruised on....we have been on the whole AU p&o fleet and we had a good time and made friends and the cabins are so much bigger than the princess AU ships or even the Rhapsody of the Sea

the prices on the p&o fleet are competitive with any other cruise line and if you require a transfer from Darling Harbour to Sydney airport the prices are very good

I have sailed with P&O, Star and HAL, and HAL has won me over. It is not so much the age of the vessels (I loved my cruise on the Pacific Sky), but the attention to detail that I feel HAL has over P&O. I recently tried P&O again after a poor experience on the Sun several years ago, and I am afraid I found the experience lacking.

I cruised on the Pac Dawn in October and I found the service to be aloof and the food poor to adequate, with the exception of Salt Grill. (I had the misfortune of getting one very surly waiter both evenings in the dining room. My husband, tablemates and I were horrified at his attitude towards us. One diner commented that we had been efficiently processed through dinner!:confused:).

I decided to fork out a bit more for the minisuite and was disappointed. The room was OK, but the bed was old, lumpy, and for the first time EVER I slept badly at sea. The verandah was filthy and rusty, as was the furniture. It is these experiences that make a difference to me. Good food, quality bedding and furnishings, and friendly service are important to gain my cruising loyalty. But see, thats me. It is just my opinion.

Having said that, it is different strokes for different folks. I respect the opinions of those who love P&O, just as I would hope they would respect my preference for 4* or better cruising.

That's the best part about the cruise industry at the moment, we all have a choice. :) If you know what you like, then it makes it easier to choose a cruise experience that makes you happy.

Cheers,

I respect the opinions of those who love P&O, just as I would hope they would respect my preference for 4* or better cruising.

Cheers,

Ceejay

I don't think it is simply a matter of "those who love P&O" - more a matter of those who believe that P&O AUS are unfairly targeted and denigrated here. (in this particular thread, by someone who has never ever been onboard a P&O Ship. For such vitriol to come from somebody who has made assumptions based on hearsay only, it is NOT ON!)

I am one who believes that these ships are all the same - except that they are different. I also believe that they all have their good points and bad points.

I just loved Queen Mary 2 ( 5* ??) - for a number of reasons - but my wife wasn't as keen because she thought it was just "too big". A LOT of other Aussie men also wouldn't like it because you HAVE TO ( well, almost :)) wear a Tuxedo every second or third night!!!!:eek: For these men, the VERY relaxed atmosphere on P&O AUS ships is very desirable.

I also JUST LOVED Pacific Pearl for a number of reasons - as did my wife.

It IS very much a matter of "horses for course" -- and everybody has their personal thoughts, opinions and requirements. BUT - unfair bashing of any cruiseline , and especially that of P&O AUS which has introduced many of us here to cruising and which many of us here remember and regard with affection will ALWAYS bring out an antagonistic attitude to those who do it - and even more especially those who do it consistently here.

I usually stay out of This P&O bashing saga but I am driven to comment,

Cruises downunder are getting cheaper and if I had the money and wasn't already committed to paying off this years holiday (been and gone but still on credit card)

and next year's Hawaii trip I'd book another P&O cruise in a heartbeat.

I saw on the 7 day sail away sale a 10 night South Island cruise from Sydney and at $1200 NZ a piece twin share- it was a steal- even better if you live in Australia.

The ships are older but they have their charm and they are steady as you go and you know what you are getting for your dough.Food is adequate and service is consistent.

You will always find fault if you are looking for it.

We have been twice on Pacific Sun and once on Pacific Dawn and if you can get a good price or a bargain you can't beat the cruises for an all inclusive holiday.

None of our cruises have been at great prices because we have to plan so far in advance. I look forward to the day when we can go on holiday at short notice. You just have to book and suck it up when your life has to be planned out.

The 10 night South Island cruise next year from Sydney appealed to me because we could just get off the ship and still have a great day in each port without the added expense of shore tours. Unfortunately we are committed but if we had the time and the spare cash We'd go in a heratbeat.

There has been no better to time to look for last minute deals as there are so many cruise ships sailing down under and all those beds have to be filled.

Even with discounted prices they are better to fill berths as passengers will probably spend even more money on board.We alway spend at least $2000 on board with shore tours etc, photos and that is trying to be restrained.

I think there is a degree of cruise snobbery on these boards,

and it is just a shame that some people are so FICKLE.

Oysterfriend

The current additional capacity in the Aussie market is certainly good for consumers -- in the short term!! I just hope that it doesn't ruin the market in the longer term. This is what can happen in any market when "opportunists" recognise that they can make a quick killing in a market that someone else has painstakingly established .

We should all be careful of what we wish for - we might get it - and having got it, realise we don't want it!!! :rolleyes:

Oysterfriend

The current additional capacity in the Aussie market is certainly good for consumers -- in the short term!! I just hope that it doesn't ruin the market in the longer term. This is what can happen in any market when "opportunists" recognise that they can make a quick killing in a market that someone else has painstakingly established .

We should all be careful of what we wish for - we might get it - and having got it, realise we don't want it!!! :rolleyes:

Isn't really going to change our spending habits as, as I said we can't travel at a moment's or even 6 months notice.

I have a silly question which I hope some of you can help provide me with what the specifics are.

I was watching a promotion video for Princess cruises for the Australian market on YouTube, and the voice over said something like "Princess brings you luxurious American style cruising to Australia"

Several years ago I was chatting with an Australian on a Celebrity Mexican Riviera cruise, and he made the specific recommendation that if I ever take a Cruise in and around Australia, to do it on one of the American lines.

Wo can anybody tell me what the difference is between "American Style" cruising and "non-American style" or Australian Style cruising in and around Australia??

Oh, dear, I feel my comments may have been taken out of context, or perhaps misread. I was, in fact, responding to the OP as much as to the general context of the thread, and I felt that the thread had been kind of hijacked and I just wanted to let her know that there is a difference, and where I find that difference to be.

The OP was wondering what the Australian she had met meant by cruising on one of the American lines, and I feel that there is a definite difference between the cruising experience on P&O compared with some of the the "American lines" such as HAL, Princess, RCI and Celebrity. (Using the words of the OP).

I feel that some Americans, used to the "higher standards" of some cruise lines (in inverted commas for want of a better expression), may find the P&O experience disappointing, especially if they have spent a lot of time and money to get to Australia in the first place.

I choose other cruise lines over P&O for my own personal reasons. I do not go on any cruise to find fault. I am usually a "glass half full" kind of person and try make lemonade if I have lemons. However, I feel we are doing visitors to our country a disservice if we are not honest about the differences and acknowledge what P&O itself acknowledges - that they are 3 star cruising at 3 star prices. If I were to travel to America for the purpose of cruising, I would choose a line that suits my style, too (ie, I wouldn't be likely to choose Carnival or NCL).

Nuff said, apparently personal reflections of the P&O experience that do not present the company in glowing terms are not welcome here. It was not my intention to target P&O, but to offer a personal insight that answered the OP's question from my perspective. Strange, since this is the kind of attitude I might accept on the P&O Aus board, but not the AUS NZ cruisers section.

Cheers,

I have recently just got home from a 2 nighter on Radiance of the Seas - Brilliant ship with lots to do.

Re Pacific Sun, as many would know that ship has been based in Newcastle a bit. I live in Newcastle. The stories coming back about that ship are absolutely disgusting. There has been allot of media attention about it due to a Februrary trip to New Zealand that was cancelled because the ship broke down. Passengers were not adequately compensated. It broke down on further occasions.

The reports coming out from media and people I know was that Newcastle was being shafted with a shabby, out of date ship that should have been already on its merry way to Alang.

Archived