Difference between Australian and American style cruising

P&O Australia have isolated themselves down here and offer inferior ships at premium prices mainly to the Australian market. The main UK, US lines offer premium ships to an international client base at regular prices. When I do the P&O UK World Cruises there are up to 300/400 Australians on at any time. You would never get that many British on P&O Australia.

The Sapphire Princess based here in 2005 had a few hundred Australians, a few thousand Americans and close to a thousand British. It even attracted the Japanese market as well as a substancial European number.

A line like Princess can come here and pull in that many international guests on a state of the art ship then they are doing something right.

P&O Australia sadly do not have a record like that or the pulling power to attract so many international customers. Even when Princess based the Sun and Dawn Princess down here (light years ahead of P&O Australia) they were very carefull not to associate themself with P&O Australia.

As I said if people have not experienced better, they do not know better.

I object to the statement I have highlighted. Many people (ourselves included) have cruised on a wide variety of ships. For us that includes four Princess cruises and two HAL. To state that we don't know better is insulting. :) Someone who posts on her a fair bit has cruised on P&O UK and also on Cunard, but he doesn't look down on P&O.

I agree that the Princess 'product' is a bit better than P&O, but I would not call it 'light-years' ahead. I would put it at half a star (at the most) above P&O. Items like free room service, pizza restaurant and the glitzy look of the Atrium contribute to this extra half star. Food & service are similar on Princess to P&O, but Princess cabins and bathrooms are smaller than on P&O.

I think there is a simple reason why P&O Aust don't have many overseas passengers. P&O doesn't market their product overseas. Similarly, Princess Aust doesn't market its cruises elsewhere in the world and if, for instance, American passengers want to book on these cruises they pay a higher price than we do. When we have visiting ships (eg Diamond Princess) it is marketed in the US as well as in Aust.

Not to worry, we've sailed with many Aussies on Celebrity and they all fit right in. What we really have to worry about is me being like Linda Koslowski during my visit to the land of OZ. Hopefully I won't need saving from any impending crocodile attacks!!!;) Probably more likely to be punched out by a kangagroo.

No need to worry about the crocodiles or the kangaroos. No need even to worry too much about the snakes ...

It's the SPIDERS!!!!!

Barry

Just for the record I think it is very easy to judge and make an informed decision of cruise lines that would not "suit me" Anyone has the ability for that.

As for me prsonally I would not try or fit in on HAL, Costa, would probably avoid Cunard (hate class distinction) but would love to try QM2. The Carnival brand in the US is probably not for me either. Royal Caribbean - given that I liked the activities on Radiance, I think I might be tempted to try their full on giants that offer endless physical activities. I do not think I will fit into the style of Celebrity either, but I am taking a big risk in 2013 by trying the Solstice due to all the hype about the ship.

It is not hard for anyone to make decisions about what suits them whilst knowing what the different cruise lines are known for.

As I said if people have not experienced better, they do not know better.

This is the kind of statement that puts people 'up in arms'. Who says what you like is necessarily 'better'? I consider myself intelligent and knowledgeable enough to know what I like, and that is a ship to feel and act like a ship. I do not particularly like glitzy holiday resorts that float, but I don't look down my nose at people who do. Unfortunately, P&O bashing seems to be a subject that keeps reappearing on this board. Let's agree to disagree and concentrate on enjoying the good things of life and how lucky we are to be able to cruise at all. :)

No need to worry about the crocodiles or the kangaroos. No need even to worry too much about the snakes ...

It's the SPIDERS!!!!!

Barry

Ahhhh yes, the spiders! I think the season has started at our place. I walked between two of our bushes a while ago right into a giant spider web. Uggghhh. It never ceases to amaze me how far they have to jump/fly/whatever to make their first contact between two points. :eek::eek::eek:

Just for the record I think it is very easy to judge and make an informed decision of cruise lines that would not "suit me" Anyone has the ability for that.

As for me prsonally I would not try or fit in on HAL, Costa, would probably avoid Cunard (hate class distinction) but would love to try QM2. The Carnival brand in the US is probably not for me either. Royal Caribbean - given that I liked the activities on Radiance, I think I might be tempted to try their full on giants that offer endless physical activities. I do not think I will fit into the style of Celebrity either, but I am taking a big risk in 2013 by trying the Solstice due to all the hype about the ship.

It is not hard for anyone to make decisions about what suits them whilst knowing what the different cruise lines are known for.

I think you must be winding us up- Surely this is a wind up as nobody in their right mind could be so objectionable and pretentious and not realise it.

Personally I am glad you don't want to sail on either P&O or Carnival because I 'd hate to have to sit by you for a meal at anytime or have to bother about conversation with such a truly objectionable person.

You have turned an innocuous thread into something truly objectionable.

I hope you are satisfied with your sport.

To answer the original question of this thread "what is the difference between American and Australian style cruising?", I have a few points (especially after reading all of the reply posts:

- If you come down to OZ and try and Aussie ship, you will certainly get more of an Aussie experience.

- It is true companies "aussify" their ships, and you know why? Because they want Aussies on them! They want to make us feel comfortable and at home. They know we want a laid back Aussie atmosphere, with our currency, no tipping, our beers, and Aussie style food.

- People will say G'day, and make friendly conversation with you. If you want to travel to the other side of the world to be surrounded by people from your same country, I think you're missing out on the culture of Australia. Isn't part of the fun of travel immersing yourself in the culture.

- You will be treated as an equal. No class distinction like on other "posh" ships.

- You will get to try more Aussie food (sausage on bread for lunch is such an aussie thing I love it)

- Aussies have a laid back, casual nature. We like a good laugh (love the comedy nights on board).

- Being so laid back, we don't care too much for fancy tuxedo's too often. A nice pair of slacks and collared shirt is considered dressed up.

- We enjoy our fancy dress up nights - island, pirate, cowboy themes just make the party more fun

- We are not pretentious, we don't care too much for the shiniest of new things. Why do you need the newest, biggest ships to have a great holiday?

Our casual, friendly nature is easily offended by pretentious people who look down their noses, which may be why there has been so much debate on this thread? Because it goes against our values and culture in general.

I think you must be winding us up- Surely this is a wind up as nobody in their right mind could be so objectionable and pretentious and not realise it.

Personally I am glad you don't want to sail on either P&O or Carnival because I 'd hate to have to sit by you for a meal at anytime or have to bother about conversation with such a truly objectionable person.

You have turned an innocuous thread into something truly objectionable.

I hope you are satisfied with your sport.

What is so wrong with my statement? Surely anyone can use a bit of intuition to determine the style of cruising that would suit them based on what the lines present themself as.

Suggusting I am pretentious or look down my nose as others have said is offensive.

I am just a truck driver - multi drop, hard worker. I have delivered to fancy restaurants to pubs, clubs, bowling clubs, RSL's, coffee shops from the Central Coast all the way up to Taree, Forster, Tuncurry, Hunter Valley Vinyards, Newcastle, Scone...the list is endless. I often work random hours ie mornings only, afternoons, or nights. I certainly know about the different styles and how different Australians are.

There is certainly nothing upper class or pretentious about me. I am the type of person that knows what I like, I consider myself to be a good judge of things.

Obviously judging cruise ships/lines is very subjective. There are many Australians who love Bali as a holiday destination, I have been there on a cruise and would not consider it at all as paradise, yet others love it. Point is that you can judge a line if it would suit you or not. It is certainly not bashing the line to declare you would not like it.

What is so wrong with my statement? Surely anyone can use a bit of intuition to determine the style of cruising that would suit them based on what the lines present themself as.

Suggusting I am pretentious or look down my nose as others have said is offensive.

I am just a truck driver - multi drop, hard worker. I have delivered to fancy restaurants to pubs, clubs, bowling clubs, RSL's, coffee shops from the Central Coast all the way up to Taree, Forster, Tuncurry, Hunter Valley Vinyards, Newcastle, Scone...the list is endless. I often work random hours ie mornings only, afternoons, or nights. I certainly know about the different styles and how different Australians are.

There is certainly nothing upper class or pretentious about me. I am the type of person that knows what I like, I consider myself to be a good judge of things.

Obviously judging cruise ships/lines is very subjective. There are many Australians who love Bali as a holiday destination, I have been there on a cruise and would not consider it at all as paradise, yet others love it. Point is that you can judge a line if it would suit you or not. It is certainly not bashing the line to declare you would not like it.

Good on you, mate! My wife and I used to sail P&O Oz....not any more! :D

And who are the pretentious ones, might I ask? Looks like it's those who disagree with others' views!

MP.

At least you've been to Bali and experienced it for yourself. That, in itself, makes you qualified to say whether it's good or not (I hated it when I went). You seem like a nice bloke but once again, you've never sailed with P&O Australia, and you therefore can't make such definitive statements about them. You don't know what you're talking about. :)

If the Aussie experience is so laid back and casual, why won’t Princess understand that and offer Anytime Dining on their Aussie ships – Dawn, Sun, Sea.

Yes, I’ve heard the excuse that there are only 2 Dining Rooms. Well that’s all it takes - one for Traditional and one for Anytime.

As you can tell I LOVE Anytime Dining and the forced Traditional Dining is the only thing I’m not looking forward to on my 2 upcoming cruises to OZ and NZ on the Sun and Dawn.

If the Aussie experience is so laid back and casual, why won’t Princess understand that and offer Anytime Dining on their Aussie ships – Dawn, Sun, Sea.

Yes, I’ve heard the excuse that there are only 2 Dining Rooms. Well that’s all it takes - one for Traditional and one for Anytime.

As you can tell I LOVE Anytime Dining and the forced Traditional Dining is the only thing I’m not looking forward to on my 2 upcoming cruises to OZ and NZ on the Sun and Dawn.

I agree with you. P&O Aust have Anytime Dining. We have made it work well for us but a lot of cruisers don't like it. I think it is the way it is run that causes the problem, not the concept of Anytime Dining.

Those Princess ships were designed way back in the early 90's popssibly late 80's when anytime dining was non existant. They do have anytime dining, but it does not work as effectively as the newer Princess ships where they have put allot of thought into it.

The best anytime dining I have tried was on Sapphire Princess and Azura (another Grand class).

I am only guessing that there is still a substansial amount of passengers that want traditional dining which makes it harder to make such changes on the smaller Princess ships.

I like the "anytime dining" as it is done for breakfasts and lunches in the MDR's of ships we have been on. But for the evening meal, I think that I have come to the conclusion that I prefer fixed dining. Bit hard to explain why - but (provided we have some luck in getting good table companions), we find it to be very enjoyable.

Barry

The "Sun" and the "Dawn" both do have anytime dining - that is the P&O Pacific Sun and Pacific Dawn. Another example of what I said about P&O AUS - they have nailed their target market perfectly, they really do know about Aussie cruising.

Don't know about Princesses Sun and Dawn - never been on them.

Barry

I like the "anytime dining" as it is done for breakfasts and lunches in the MDR's of ships we have been on. But for the evening meal, I think that I have come to the conclusion that I prefer fixed dining. Bit hard to explain why - but (provided we have some luck in getting good table companions), we find it to be very enjoyable.

Barry

Yes. I suppose every time we have sailed with Anytime Dining we have virtually converted it into our own version of Traditional Dining when we found a waiter we liked. Sometimes it worked on the first night, but sometimes we and our new-found friends (table companions) voted to dine together, but at another table. We then booked for the following night. There is more flexibility.

However, I have seen Anytime Dining when it hasn't worked well. There can be long queues if the Maitre d' insists everyone line up every night and no-one can just go to their booked table. That is a major advantage of traditional dining - after the first night everyone just goes straight in and goes to their own table.

I think some people are getting unnecessarily upset...:) All any poster can do is offer their subjective opinion...no one can speak for what others may or may not like. Liking a particular cruise line is like preferring a particular hotel chain or brand of car. It does not define you as a snob or anything else just as being fond of P & O does not mean that you dont know any better...you like what you like..and that is totally fine.:)

So it would be good to relax before we lose our reputation as laid back and easy going.

But I admire the passion shown..obviously there are a lot of dedicated lovers of cruising on here.

I have a preference at this point but am happy to try other lines and maybe my preference will change in the future.

I have a preference at this point but am happy to try other lines and maybe my preference will change in the future.
Is it Princess...? ;) :D I can't wait to go on a Princess cruise. Like I said earlier though, I wanna try all the P&O Australia ships first, then work my way through a few Princess ones. :)

Is it Princess...? ;) :D I can't wait to go on a Princess cruise. Like I said earlier though, I wanna try all the P&O Australia ships first, then work my way through a few Princess ones. :)

Currently it is Princess (not necessarily the Sun or Dawn) I felt the Dawn was very crowded on a six week cruise in cooler weather but could be different with a different demographic ...but I do love the US based ones..again it is totally subjective..it could be that I am more familiar with Princess...working my way through the fleet Diamond 3 times, Star, Pacific, Dawn, and a month on the Ocean Princess (formerly Tahitian Princess) coming up. I have been diverted a number of times to other ships...honestly I love them all...the Voldendam was very nice..pretty sedate though..the Radiance was beautiful..I cant wait to sail on the Aegean Odyssey..

Principally I haven't sailed on P & O because I am more interested in different itineraries having been to the Sth Pacific a number of times..that does not mean that I would not in the future.

My family says if it floats I would be on it..and that's probably true.

Australia has to put up with old hand-me-down rust buckets that have seen better days. People who have not experienced anything better absolutely love these floating hotels of scrap metal.

US, UK and the more astute minded Australian traveller know that there are brand new state of the art ships in existance that offer a far better cruising experience than the ships P&O Australia operate.

The Sun Princess and Dawn Princess which operate here regularly leave nothing to be desired compared to the bigger newer ships Princess operates like Sapphire Princess, the other Grand class and the Coral and Island Princess.

Some Australians will love what P&O Australia have on offer. The ones with the time, means and money to travel on the better ships when they visit know they are far superior and will never bother to try the rubbish P&O Australia has on offer.

My Grandparents have recently tried Pacific Sun, and they described it as nothing more than a dank, scummy, mouldy, slimey piece of scrap metal - They have been used to ships like Diamond Princess, Star Princess (2003), Island Princess (2007). There are worlds of difference apart between the ships.

I could not more strongly disagree with what you have said here. Having travelled RCI, Princess and Celebrity on larger ships I can honestly say the product offered by P&O Australia is the same if not better then some of the aformentioned. It doesn't have ALL the bells and whistles that some of the others have but you get what you pay for.

I'm not going to deny that these overseas companies do have larger and newer ships but the best cruise experiences I've had are actually on smaller and older ships with some of the worst experiences on the real glitzy new ships.

P&O Australia definitely offer a better standard of product then what Royal Caribbean offer in my experience, especially when it comes to entertainment and food.

Pacific Sun still holds a fond place in my heart as one of my favourite cruises, however, to compare it on a standards level to Diamond Princess is simply unfair as the fares on Pacific Sun are sitting at around half what DP is charging right now. Once again you get what you pay for, in saying this I would happily sail on Pacific Sun over many of the US liners I have experienced which left a lot to be desired.

The "Sun" and the "Dawn" both do have anytime dining - that is the P&O Pacific Sun and Pacific Dawn. Another example of what I said about P&O AUS - they have nailed their target market perfectly, they really do know about Aussie cruising.

Don't know about Princesses Sun and Dawn - never been on them.

Barry

Unfortunately, the Dawn Princess and Sun Princess do not have Anytime Dining. :(:(:(

That is a big disappointment for us. We love the flexibility of Anytime Dining, no rushing back to the ship after an excursion, or if you’re watching a movie, you can finish it and still have dinner in the dining room. Oh well, it’s not in my control

You should read back over your old posts - consider the language you have used to describe P&O ships - consider the manner in which you have described people who do enjoy sailing on P&O.

Barry

I agree,

It is the manner of how your posts were written that I thought it must be a wind up, and I am still not convinced that you are not purposely baiting people.

I agree,

It is the manner of how your posts were written that I thought it must be a wind up, and I am still not convinced that you are not purposely baiting people.

My last comment was for Sutho, sorry if you have been offended, but you have actually offended others in some of your own statements.

I really don't care if people think I know no better, and sail on P&O and Carnival only because I know no different.

I base cruises on affordability and destination and the ships cabin etc is just that , a room and a means of travel.

Any time dining, dining rooms and decor are considerations but for my husband and I -not that particularly important- we just like to travel and the more affordable it is the more we can do.

I base cruises on affordability and destination and the ships cabin etc is just that , a room and a means of travel.

Any time dining, dining rooms and decor are considerations but for my husband and I -not that particularly important- we just like to travel and the more affordable it is the more we can do.

Despite them being affordable, P&O Australia's (and Carnival's) ships are still very nice ships. They're not dank, mouldy rustbuckets. Plus the vibe about the ships is great and the staff are wonderful.

Archived