Where is it?

Need to Know

My wife and I will be going on our first cruise this spring. To understand all the nuances of cruising I have been watching the TCM movies on Thursday night in November.

I have learned from a Doris Day movie that you do not dress in a Tuxedo for dinner on the first night of the voyage. Also that as part of your shore excursions you get to sing with the natives.

I will be on the Statendam which is one of the oldest ships in the Holland America Line. I was watching the movie "The Last Voyage". Since I can not find the answer anywhere on these boards though admittedly I have not read every post. My question is where do they keep the acetelyne torch on the Statendam.

Thank you for your help.

My wife and I will be going on our first cruise this spring. To understand all the nuances of cruising I have been watching the TCM movies on Thursday night in November.

I have learned from a Doris Day movie that you do not dress in a Tuxedo for dinner on the first night of the voyage. Also that as part of your shore excursions you get to sing with the natives.

I will be on the Statendam which is one of the oldest ships in the Holland America Line. I was watching the movie "The Last Voyage". Since I can not find the answer anywhere on these boards though admittedly I have not read every post. My question is where do they keep the acetelyne torch on the Statendam.

Thank you for your help.

i have no idea but i am sure that i don,t want to be on that cruise when you go, asking a question like that

Dear Need-to-Know, perhaps you should avoid any cruise movies beginning with the letter 'T.'

Good point but I have already seen The Poseidon Adventure and Titanic. I discounted the relevance of these two movies since this is not the Statendam's maiden voyage and I am not cruising on New Year's Eve. But now you have me wondering.

We will be in Alaska and I have heard that there sometimes is ice and sometimes there are tidal waves in the seas up there.

It also increases my need to know the location of the acetylene torch. I would hate to be stuck banging on the hull of a ship hoping someone could hear me when I could be using the torch.

I can not swim but I have made a pact with my wife who was an excellent swimmer in her youth. If she needs help, I will save her with an Acetylene torch and if I need help she will make some effort to help me. Perhaps she could haul the aceteyne tanks on her back if we need to swim under water for long periods.

In any case it appears that I am not the only one who considers better safe than sorry in advance planning. I noted that TCM is having a group cruise in December and are taking Ernest Borgnine with them.

I don't know but you can buy one at Amazon for $178 and store it in the overhead as Jim said (having never heard of this torch before, I googled it and it brought me to Amazon).

Where's Pipedreams when we need him? ;) :rolleyes: :eek:

There would have to be a shop on board for repairing parts. Check there first. Maybe you could bribe an engineer to get you one, tell him it's for lighting your cigars.

If you weren't headed to Alaska, I'd suggest doing what I'm doing on my next trip: bringing scuba gear. I used to practice holding my breath as long as Shelley, but figured scuba gear was easier. (A little "pony" tank that's good for 15 minutes or so can easily be carried aboard - let's see Shelley hold her breath that long!)

That, and an underwater flashlight, and you're good. Just swim down instead of up, make your way to the promenade deck or the lido deck and out you go. Practice memorizing the deck plans upside down (or stand on your head, whichever is easier).

Anyone else have the tune to "There's got to be a morning after" running through their brain?:eek:

Not until you mentioned it. Thanks a lot, now I'm humming and singing along.

Hey, I just realized that I'll be coming around Cape Horn on December 30. Is that close enough to New Years to be worried?

I don't know but you can buy one at Amazon for $178 and store it in the overhead as Jim said (having never heard of this torch before, I googled it and it brought me to Amazon).

Where's Pipedreams when we need him? ;) :rolleyes: :eek:

I have not seen PipeDreams post here in a long, long time. I miss Pipedreams and that great sense of humor.

Thank you for all your helpful responses. I guess I will just pay for the excursion of the "ship tour" on boarding and ask that they show me the location of their Acetylene torch.

I also noted that all those people in the picture who are also on the Cruise Critic Roll call for my cruise have opted for the same excursion as me while we are in Juneau. It is a whale watching tour and is expected to last three hours. It was not the one provided through Holland America but the price was right.

Again, thank you everyone.

Thank you for all your helpful responses. I guess I will just pay for the excursion of the "ship tour" on boarding and ask that they show me the location of their Acetylene torch.

I also noted that all those people in the picture who are also on the Cruise Critic Roll call for my cruise have opted for the same excursion as me while we are in Juneau. It is a whale watching tour and is expected to last three hours. It was not the one provided through Holland America but the price was right.

Again, thank you everyone.

Just one more thing befor you go. If you take a close look at that Cruise Critic photo, it may have been taken by the fasion police. The two on the far right are smart casual, the three in the center are dressed for formal night, and the two on the left, well....no MDR for them tonight!:D

Archived