New Cruisers on the Silhouette

robharper

Hello, I could be guilty of being lazy and not looking through the threads but I thought this would be the best way to get relevant answers to questions. I have gone for the 'Celebrity Forum' over the newcomers as I thought the people in the know would be around here!

It is our(my wife and I's) first cruise and we have booked for a belated honeymoon after marrying last December. We are both in our mid to late twenties and with neither of us being big drinkers and falling outside of your stereotypical 20 something holidaymakers, we decided to go for a cruise.

I have recently returned from 7 months away with the military and we would like to have a relaxing cruise coupled with as many good experiences as possbile, any answers to the below questions would be very helpful(some are not directly related to the cruise);

• How far it is from JFK airport to central manhattan and how far(and easy) it is from Manhattan to the ship sailing from Cape Liberty.
  • We are staying in aquaclass(cabin 1587), any thoughts on this? We arent overly fussed what time we eat and will stay flexible but enjoy good food and want to mix it up between the main dining room, blu and murano
  • What exactly does formal mean, for my wife and for myself. I have a 3 piece suit I would describe as formal or does this mean black tie? Anyone know what we could expect from Blu on formal nights?
  • Is the gym 24 hours and what are the facilities like, I havent seen much in the way of photos online?
  • We are on the eastern caribbean cruise, any excursions anyone would reccomend as a must?

Thanks for any help and apologies if this isnt in the right place.

Rob

If you are in Aqua Class, Blu is your dining room. You might be able to eat in the MDR but would have to ask, as you wouldn't have a table assignment there. Generally those in Aqua Class do not eat in the MDR except at breakfast and sea day lunches (if they wish). Have a look at the recent thread about dress code in Blu -- there's lots of discussion there. But a suit is definitely fine for any formal night, although if you would like to wear a tux you would not be alone by any means.

If you could possibly fly into Newark rather than JFK, you should do so. It is a long, long cab ride from JFK to the cruise port.

Hello, I could be guilty of being lazy and not looking through the threads but I thought this would be the best way to get relevant answers to questions. I have gone for the 'Celebrity Forum' over the newcomers as I thought the people in the know would be around here!

It is our(my wife and I's) first cruise and we have booked for a belated honeymoon after marrying last December. We are both in our mid to late twenties and with neither of us being big drinkers and falling outside of your stereotypical 20 something holidaymakers, we decided to go for a cruise.

I have recently returned from 7 months away with the military and we would like to have a relaxing cruise coupled with as many good experiences as possbile, any answers to the below questions would be very helpful(some are not directly related to the cruise);

• How far it is from JFK airport to central manhattan and how far(and easy) it is from Manhattan to the ship sailing from Cape Liberty.
  • We are staying in aquaclass(cabin 1587), any thoughts on this? We arent overly fussed what time we eat and will stay flexible but enjoy good food and want to mix it up between the main dining room, blu and murano
  • What exactly does formal mean, for my wife and for myself. I have a 3 piece suit I would describe as formal or does this mean black tie? Anyone know what we could expect from Blu on formal nights?
  • Is the gym 24 hours and what are the facilities like, I havent seen much in the way of photos online?
  • We are on the eastern caribbean cruise, any excursions anyone would reccomend as a must?

Rob

First of all, congrats on your marriage and a great big thanks for serving our country. :) I'm also booked on the Silhouette and although I haven't sailed her yet, I've sailed on Celebrity's other ships so I feel I have enough knowledge to give you some advice.

JFK is about 45-60 minutes away from Bayonne. Is it possible for you to fly into Newark instead? If you are planning to go to NYC to visit a few days prior, it probably makes sense. Otherwise I would fly into Newark.

I also booked Aqua Class which meaqns Blu is your assigned dining room. Of course you mat select a specialty dining room any night that you choose, but it's my understanding that the main dining room may only be possible on a space available basis.

Your 3 piece suit will be perfectly acceptable for the formal nights. You will see a combination of suits as well as tuxes on men. Your wife can wear a dressy cocktail dress or gown. Either is fine.

Although I haven't seen the Silhouette's gym in person, I've seen photos and video. It's quite spacious and has a nice variety of equipment. You may want to check Youtube as there are a number of Silhouette tours posted.

The gym is open at 6:30 or 7am until approx 11pm.

The Eastern Caribbean is a great itinerary and if you give me an idea of the types of activities you and your wife enjoy, i can recommend some great options. Two excursions that immediately come to mind are snorkeling at Trunk Bay in St John (St Thomas port) and Ziplining in St Maarten. You may not have have the same itinerary as I have (sailing 4/10/11), so let me know your ports of call and I'll give you a list of my recommendations.

Hi Rob, congatulations and welcome to Cruise Critic:)

If you post the date of your cruise, we can show you another forum

called "Roll calls" and you can meet other folks on the same sailing.:)

I see you are in the UK....in the RAF? 7 months away? I am

betting you are very glad to be home!

Welcome to Cruise Critic and congratulations on your upcoming wedding!

The Silhouette is a beautiful, elegant and fun ship, great choice!

We did Aqua Class on a prior sailing and loved it; it comes with some really nice perks. Most find Blu to be a step up from the main dining room (as Blu is more like an actual restaurant, the main dining room is like a banquet hall) so my advice would be to skip the main dining room. As others have said, Blu is your assigned dining room - so to eat in the main dining room you would have to check with the Maitre'D in the select dining area to see if space is available on the night(s) you would want to dine there (usually space is available). Murano and the other specialty restaurants are outstanding (Qsine is my other favorite, but Lawn Club Grille is fun too) - I highly recommend you try at least a couple of these. Great way to celebrate your honeymoon.

The gym is not 24 hours, but opens around 6am; it closes by the end of dinner (not sure the exact time). It is well equipped (cardio and weights) and offers stunning views of the sea.

For formal night, Blu no longer has a formal night so you would not need to bring any formal attire (i.e. no suit, tie, or jacket needed at Blu on any evening). Same with the specialty restaurants. Only the main dining room now has a formal dress code on some nights. You can of course dress up more if you would like to.

Have a great cruise and a great wedding! :)

On Summit this summer the gym closed at 11 P.M. -- is an earlier closing just a Silhouette thing? The staff left around 7 but the gym itself was open later.

It could have been open that late; I thought it closed sometime during dinner, but may be incorrect on this - I never actually attempted to go that late.

How far it is from JFK airport to central manhattan and how far(and easy) it is from Manhattan to the ship sailing from Cape Liberty.

Rob

Rob,

If you're planning on staying in Manhattan and going from NYC to Cape Liberty, you may want to look into TransportAzumah

http://www.transportazumah.com/

There are various scheduled pick ups in Manhattan and the fare was $20 per person one way. Reservations are required. We were very pleased with them. You can email them at -info@transportazumah.com

for information and/or reservations.

A great big thank you for your service to our country. We are free because of people like you! God Bless and I hope you have a fabulous cruise!

Did I miss something? Are we a colony again?:D

Just kidding....even though OP is from the UK, I'm sure the sentiment is understood and shared by those of us from both nations.....:)

Thanks all for the advice and helpful comments. These forums are brilliant for quick and concise answers, if only every holiday has them!!

Lois.....RAF? Army of course, I work for a living:D

Hi Rob, I work for a living too:D

I was just asking....it wasn't meant to be an insult:) I guess when

I think of the military in the UK I think of the Royal Air Force:o

Rob

Hi Rob, could I ask you when you are cruising, we too are from England, and are travelling on the 5th of January 2012, If you are flyig back from jfk and we are on the same cruise I wonder if you would like to share a transfer, I have been checking prices and they would work out much cheaper if we could share as they are expensive xx if your on a different cruise I hope you have a fabulous belated honeymoon xx

As a New Yorker, I can tell you that flying into Newark, whether going straight to ship or spending time in NYC, is the better choice. It's much closer and the traffic from JFK can be horrible. Also, taxi prices at Newark are fixed. An attendant on the taxi line will ask you where you're going. He will give you a paper voucher with the fixed price so that you know how much it will cost and the cab driver must honor it.

If you're you're using Celebrity air, the transfer to airport is included.

Hope that helps a little.

Thanks all for the advice and helpful comments. These forums are brilliant for quick and concise answers, if only every holiday has them!!

Lois.....RAF? Army of course, I work for a living:D

Hi Rob

I noticed your posting on the forum and that you are from England. My husband and I are also travelling to New York from England to sail on Silhouette. When are you sailing? We are on the Eastern Caribbean sailing on 17th March 2012. This is also our first cruise (and our 2nd wedding anniversary) so I have been asking lots of questions on our roll call forum. The people on there are very experienced cruisers and offer honest advice so if you haven't already, do add yourself to it, whether it is for the same sailing or a different one.

All the best

Sharon

Hi Rob

Congrats on the wedding!

You will love shilouette, its a great ship. The food in Blu is much nicer than the MDR, lighter and different choices. In case you have not found this, check this link out which has great pictures of shilouette. Enjoy the cruise, you'll have a great time.

http://www.depping-design.de/test/index.php

Hi Rob

Congrats on the wedding!

You will love shilouette, its a great ship. The food in Blu is much nicer than the MDR, lighter and different choices. In case you have not found this, check this link out which has great pictures of shilouette. Enjoy the cruise, you'll have a great time.

http://www.depping-design.de/test/index.php

What do you mean about the food being lighter? Is it cooked healthier? Would you still be able to get steaks? We are booked on the Silhouette next Oct. in the Concierge class are are thinking about changing th Aqua because we have heard so many good things about Blu. My DH is a little concerned that he won't be able to get a steak or a good dessert which is why I am asking about the food. We aren't big eaters so less food is fine with me. I would appreciate your opinion. I love aft cabins, which we now have and will be giving that up for the Aqua class cabin. So, before I make a change, I do want to make sure that we are making the right decision.

Hi We are doing the 13 night Rome to Venice. July 1th 2012 Our travel agent doesnt have a clue really. Is there an extra $$charge to dine at Blu?? I started to worry about Aqua Class and wondered if we should drop to balcony so we have more dining options. What does use of the spa amenities mean? Again my travel girl doesnt know. I realize if you have any treatments or massage you have to pay. Just wondering what perks Aqua means. Any info would be much appreciated. Seems they are a long way behind here in Tasmania with info cheers Liz

What do you mean about the food being lighter? Is it cooked healthier? Would you still be able to get steaks? We are booked on the Silhouette next Oct. in the Concierge class are are thinking about changing th Aqua because we have heard so many good things about Blu. My DH is a little concerned that he won't be able to get a steak or a good dessert which is why I am asking about the food. We aren't big eaters so less food is fine with me. I would appreciate your opinion. I love aft cabins, which we now have and will be giving that up for the Aqua class cabin. So, before I make a change, I do want to make sure that we are making the right decision.

They have three everynight items, a steak, a chicken dish and a fish dish, I believe Salmon in addition to the regular menu...

Hi We are doing the 13 night Rome to Venice. July 1th 2012 Our travel agent doesnt have a clue really. Is there an extra $$charge to dine at Blu?? I started to worry about Aqua Class and wondered if we should drop to balcony so we have more dining options. What does use of the spa amenities mean? Again my travel girl doesnt know. I realize if you have any treatments or massage you have to pay. Just wondering what perks Aqua means. Any info would be much appreciated. Seems they are a long way behind here in Tasmania with info cheers Liz

There is no charge for Blu if you are in Aqua Class, Blu replaces the Main Dining room for Aqua Class patrons. It is the main perk of AQ, the dining room is smaller, items are cooked more to order because they have their own galley and it is anytime dining, you go whenever you want. Use of the spa amenities really means the same as everyone else on the ship, you can make appointments if you wish.

Archived