Epic Uncovered and Extended Balcony Listing

sdmike

Wow! You put a lot of effort into this, and I hope to use it soon.

I see you're a Carnival junkie :) Welcome to the NCL board.

There's a ton of information here on NCL, so feel free to ask if you have any questions. I WILL tell you, however, that there are lots of threads on the differences between CCL and NCL. Seems there are a lot of folks considering changing lines after Carnival's recent problems. To get a wealth of information try putting "CCL NCL" (without the quotes) in the search box (top of the NCL forum listing on the right) and you'll get a ton of reading. After you soak that in we'll be glad to answer any outstanding questions you might have.

Edited by sdmike

Thanks sdmike,

Wanting to switch from Carnival has less to do with the recent "issues" and more to do with then taking the "Fun" out of their Funships. No live bands at the pool? A DJ leading the pax in the electric slide? Not my kind of "Fun".

Choosing a room on the Epic seems a little more labor intensive than on CCL. Okay, I see how to pick a balcony room that has the bed closer to the Verandah, I see now (Thank you) how to pick a room with a fully covered Verandah. Next question: with rooms forward on deck 13 or 12 is there plexiglass from the railing to the floor so that one has an unobstructed view, or is it metal so that you cannot see with out standing up? We like the forward rooms with less foot traffic (noise).

I'm still searchng the boards to discover the differences between BD, BF, BE, BX, B4 ect.

Thanks again!

If you get WAY forward you will have "hull" balconies that are partially enclosed by the ship superstructure. They are what you describe...you would not be able to sit back and see through the glass like normal, although they are not floor to ceiling glass.

There is actually a SECOND thread on Epic rooms in my signature on these hull balconies. Check it out.

Having said all this, the vast majority of rooms on the Epic are great and don't have these quirks. You'll get almost no foot traffic forward of the elevators. We were in 14022 and I can't remember hearing anyone walk past.

Just wanted to add a little more info on the hull balcony. We had cabin 8005 March 23-30 on the Epic. It was very private, which was ok by us.

We could still see, when seated on the balcony, view was just fine, and I am short. I did take pictures, but will take me a bit to figure out how to post that, ha. Cabin was quiet, no obstructions, as a matter of fact, we would not hesitate to book a hull balcony again. Hope this helps.

Let me know if you can't figure out how to post the pictures and I'll find a way for you to send me some. I've not seen any of an Epic hull balcony and it would be a great add to the hull balcony thread

Edited by sdmike

My family and I are now happily preparing for our Epic cruise this November. We are in two B6 balcony cabins (11100 and 11104) and an inside across the hall (11098).

Too funny - we just booked cabins 11100 and 11104 for the Feb 23, 2014 sailing! :D

Our concern was the uncovered balconies. We sailed the Epic in Feb 2011, on deck 8. Every single morning we had "presents" on our balcony: cigarettes, half eaten pizza, half eaten everything. :rolleyes: It didn't ruin our trip, but we knew we wanted a roof this time.

Thanks for this thread, OP!

• 5 months later...
Nice balcony room on the starboard side with the bed by the balcony (preferred by most). Even though you're mid-ship you are not real far from the rear elevators (there are no midship elevators or stairs).

Have a great trip!

Hi Mike,

We are going on the Epic Nov. 30th, 2013, and have cabin 8193, do you know if that is covered or not? thanks for all the help

• 3 weeks later...

Well finally booked, but on the Breakaway not the Epic. Life kept getting in the way of cruise planning and with our vacation time approaching quickly we just booked for Nov 24, 2013 with almost no pre-planning. Room 13890 towards the aft not the our usual preferance of a forward room.

Hi Mike,

We are going on the Epic Nov. 30th, 2013, and have cabin 8193, do you know if that is covered or not? thanks for all the help

If you look at the list on the first page, 8193 is fully covered. Have a nice trip!

• 4 months later...
Hi Mike!

Thanks for all the info! I think I figured it out, pretty sure I did get a covered one (fingers crossed, no surprises)! So helpful!!:D

Yes. I looked. Your balcony is mid-ship and covered. Have a great cruise

• 7 months later...
Hello,

I was hoping I could get some information on the Epic balcony Cabin 9004. Has anyone ever stayed in this room? What are some pros and cons? I understand it is a hull balcony.

No issues, really. It's an extra large balcony, which is a bonus, and the bed is near the balcony, which is the preferred location

Edited by sdmike

• 1 month later...

Hi Mike, Thanks again for all your posts! I've read this one for several years. I am a bit confused about the Aft balconies on the Epic... is uncovered the desired choice? Do you know for the Med cruises if there is a lot of sun on the Aft or Port side? I booked port but my friend is thinking Aft now and I think shady and covered in case of rain would be the preferred choice. Thanks for your help on this.

Hi Mike, Thanks again for all your posts! I've read this one for several years. I am a bit confused about the Aft balconies on the Epic... is uncovered the desired choice? Do you know for the Med cruises if there is a lot of sun on the Aft or Port side? I booked port but my friend is thinking Aft now and I think shady and covered in case of rain would be the preferred choice. Thanks for your help on this.

I'm brilliant, I figured out I was looking at the front of the ship, the back is all covered desk.. and I've been on her before... I'll blame the Prosecco :D:confused::D

• 3 weeks later...

I am planning to cruise to Europe and looking at Spa Balcony Cabins on the 14th Floor.

Has anyone stayed in Cabin 14041 or 14043. Which cabin has the bed nearer to the balcony. What are the pros and cons of booking a B9 (Spa Balcony) as opposed to a B1 (Aft Cabin).

Appreciate all comments and feedback.

Thanks

Sandy

• 1 month later...

First, MANY thanks for this thread - it is very helpful. We just booked a B6 for next year and our agent said he got us the "best" one (12096)....but we really like the idea of having half the balcony uncovered. Which I take it to mean decks 8/ 9....and obviously 9 looks better by being a little higher above the side boats. We also want a bed by the balcony, which I *think* means I want the down part of the wave by the balcony.

Is my logic sound?? 9026 the best?

• 10 months later...

Just booked a last minute cruise on Epic and was given cabin 9221. While doing research on this cabin i came across this thread and very glad that i did. I do like to sit on the balcony first thing in the morning in my Jimjams having a coffee so do like my privacy.

Thanks Mike for putting all this info together it's been very useful.

• 5 months later...

HI Mike,

Thank you for all the great information.

I am no stranger to cruising or to Cruise Critic but I never knew about these uncovered rooms on the Epic. My family and I are cruising on the Epic in late August and I just found out our 4 balcony rooms are all uncovered! No wonder we were able to get 4 in a row!

I've been so busy researching the Med ports that I never gave the room too much thought, other than the bathroom setup! It is too late for us to change as our category is sold out and there aren't 4 cabins in a row anywhere, so we will make the best of it.

If anyone has sailed in one of the uncovered balconies, please let me know how you fared. I know we won't be spending too much time there, but will sit out in the evening with a glass of wine.

Thank you.

Marilyn

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We have cabin 8100 booked for our cruise and it looks like that one has an uncovered balcony. Is that correct? Has anyone stayed in that cabin? Do the lifeboats block much of the view? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app