Do Ships Not Blow Their Horns At Night?

will773

Just watched the Navigator leave, and it didn't blow its horn. I've seen this before with a few other ships, (Liberty on her first Port Everglades cruise for instance). Just wondering if this is normal, or just a coincidence.

I think it has more to do with the particular captain. I love it when the horn blows. On one of our cruises on Adventure the captain seemed to really like the horn too! When we were on Oasis I don't think they used the horn at all other than when we were going by the condos at the Port Everglades inlet. It made for somewhat disappointing sail-a-ways from the ports of call.

Legally it's required... However I've never really seen any enforcement action for failure to do so but some companies will get after their crew for failing to. Mostly it's just for grins as ports are now secure areas and you don't have to worry about some clown in a boat cutting near you.

Coast Guard regs say horn must be sounded when altering to port, altering to starboard and operating astern. Nothing is required for sailing forward unless overtaking another vessel or danger. "Horns on ships are not toys, they are international signals for communication while at Sea!"

(DH is retired Coastie and laughed at some of the responses on this thread!)

Coast Guard regs say horn must be sounded when altering to port, altering to starboard and operating astern. Nothing is required for sailing forward unless overtaking another vessel or danger. "Horns on ships are not toys, they are international signals for communication while at Sea!"

(DH is retired Coastie and laughed at some of the responses on this thread!)

Well, what is your retired "coastie" husband laughing about? It is quite common for cruise ship captains to have horn battles with each other when leaving ports. Has he ever been on a cruise?

Well, what is your retired "coastie" husband laughing about? It is quite common for cruise ship captains to have horn battles with each other when leaving ports. Has he ever been on a cruise?

And they can last for several minutes. It's really neat when Disney gets involved.

Oceanboy,Yes we have been on Several cruises. Cruise much more then we post on Cruise Critic.

I have posted a link for you to study for future reference. The horns must be used at certain times other then leaving port. I hope you have the time to study and become proficient.

http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/?pageName=navRulesContent

Please enjoy your studies!

Oceanboy,Yes we have been on Several cruises. Cruise much more then we post on Cruise Critic.

I have posted a link for you to study for future reference. The horns must be used at certain times other then leaving port. I hope you have the time to study and become proficient.

OB, I believe this comes from the RI residents handbook...:D

Never see anyone use horns leaving the breachway...one reason I'd not kayak from the house around to Watch Hill although I could probably do it on a one way basis...too much time to do a round trip. I did circle Q pond at a decent pace...nearly 2 hours circle, was surprised nobody at the house was concerned.

Rancher Dave.....your safe!!!

"(b) A vessel of less than 12 meters in length shall not be obliged to carry the sound signaling appliances prescribed in paragraph (a) of this Rule but if she does not, she shall be provided with some other means of making an efficient signal."

Rancher Dave.....your safe!!!

"(b) A vessel of less than 12 meters in length shall not be obliged to carry the sound signaling appliances prescribed in paragraph (a) of this Rule but if she does not, she shall be provided with some other means of making an efficient signal."

Not worried about making noise when on the kayak, but would like to hear someone is coming around the bend before I see them...I actually kayak pretty well equiped with my personal EPIRB so I can kayak all over and if an emergency comes up, open the antena and hit the alert button. I also take a hand held marine radio...so as long as someone doesn't run me over, be it on my kayak or Sunfish sail boat I am able to hail help sould I need to.

Thanks so much. But I am hardly ignorant about such subjects.;)

OB, I believe this comes from the RI residents handbook...:D

Never see anyone use horns leaving the breachway...one reason I'd not kayak from the house around to Watch Hill although I could probably do it on a one way basis...too much time to do a round trip. I did circle Q pond at a decent pace...nearly 2 hours circle, was surprised nobody at the house was concerned.

Funny!:D or maybe sad?:( :D:D

Little condescending, eh? We just wanted to know why Navigator's Captain did not blow her horn during Sailaway as basically every other ship does.

I think it has more to do with the particular captain. I love it when the horn blows. On one of our cruises on Adventure the captain seemed to really like the horn too! When we were on Oasis I don't think they used the horn at all other than when we were going by the condos at the Port Everglades inlet. It made for somewhat disappointing sail-a-ways from the ports of call.

I agree I think it has to do with the captain. I've sailed the Oasis three times & during two sailings the Captain sounded the horn leaving each port. During that one particular cruise I think we heard the horn leaving Port Everglades only. :(

Little condescending, eh? We just wanted to know why Navigator's Captain did not blow her horn during Sailaway as basically every other ship does.

Not to mention the fact that the rules for when a ship MUST use its horn have absolutely nothing to do with the subject of this thread..... having FUN!:):):):D

Archived