Maya Chan or Tropicante?

canuckcruiselover

I just wanted to let everyone know, if you are looking for yet another option, there is a new place (opened this year in January or February) and the place is gorgeous. It's called Almaplena.

I just finished a complete review of our visit there a week ago with every little detail and complete with tons of pictures. This place is getting great reviews so far, but just not many people know about it yet. They only take 20 people per day here, so plenty of room to relax and they beach is just gorgeous.

You will find my complete review in my NCL Star review, the part about Almaplena starts at post 190.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1755846&page=5

I have read both of your reviews online and your pics look great. Just wondering if you had to choose between Maya Chan and Almaplena... Which would you choose???

After reading your posts on Almaplena, I am left with many questions:

1) How do you get to Almaplena? Do you take the $2 bus from Costa Maya ... is alternate transportation required?

2) How far away is Almaplena located, as compared to Tropicante and/or Maya Chan?

3) I found very little information in your posts about Almaplena, itself. Please let us know if the beach is a private or public beach (likely public), and whether there are other facilities next to, or near Almaplena. As is the case with other Tropicante, the beach is public, and the "reserved" area directlyin front of Tropicante is indeed not an expansive area, but all guests have access to the beaches.

4) If you have contact with the owner, would you be able to inquire as to whether the "drop-off" of the sand (near the tide) was an anomaly, or whether is it present most of the time. If the latter, I would think that would be a deficit.

5) As is the case with Tropicante and Maya Chan, the eating area appears to be covered and offers a nice view (albeit, the view at Tropciante is filtered with tables and chairs on the beach). How large is the eating area at Almaplena? Are guests able to eat on the beach (ie: tables)?

6) Does Almaplena offer massages? If so, would you know the length of the massage, and price?

7) Does Almaplena take or require reservations?

8) What is the cost, if anything, to stay at Almaplena? How and when is payment made?

9) With regard to palapas ... most would agree ... a palapa is an open-sided dwelling (or bedding) with a thatched roof. In your pictures, we see what looks like a thatched roof umbrella (of sorts). While I understand the idea is for sun protection, it isn't really a dwelling. Does Almaplena have other covered structures on the beach? As an example, a thatched roof umbrella would indeed shield guests from sun, but if there is no seating or tables under these areas ... it would appear the only resort would be to huddle (stand) underneath the umbrella(s).

10) Based upon the pictures, there does not seem to be many guests at Almaplena ...nor does there seem to be tables and chairs. Are there chairs, loungers, or tables in the beach area ... or is that restricted to the eating area? If there are tables, chairs and/or loungers on the beach, are any offered in an area protected from the sun (either naturally protected, or man made)?

Steven

After reading your posts on Almaplena, I am left with many questions:

1) How do you get to Almaplena? Do you take the $2 bus from Costa Maya ... is alternate transportation required?

Almaplena emails you instructions on where to catch the cab at (which is the taxi station outside the port) and they pay for your cab there and back. It's all included with the price.

2) How far away is Almaplena located, as compared to Tropicante and/or Maya Chan?

They are exactly 20 minutes away.

3) I found very little information in your posts about Almaplena, itself. Please let us know if the beach is a private or public beach (likely public), and whether there are other facilities next to, or near Almaplena. As is the case with other Tropicante, the beach is public, and the "reserved" area directlyin front of Tropicante is indeed not an expansive area, but all guests have access to the beaches.

It is private. There's not much around and there will be no one walking up and down the beach there. It's secluded and they only allow 20 outside guest a day. There's no "reserved" area. The entire beach and area is all yours.

4) If you have contact with the owner, would you be able to inquire as to whether the "drop-off" of the sand (near the tide) was an anomaly, or whether is it present most of the time. If the latter, I would think that would be a deficit.

When we were there, there wasn't a drop off. The water gradually declined. My 3 year old swam and played in it with no problems.

5) As is the case with Tropicante and Maya Chan, the eating area appears to be covered and offers a nice view (albeit, the view at Tropciante is filtered with tables and chairs on the beach). How large is the eating area at Almaplena? Are guests able to eat on the beach (ie: tables)?

My review and pictures shows the covered eating area. The 2nd picture in the review was taken there. You can see the tables. There is another picture later on. Then they also have hammocks under that area as well.

6) Does Almaplena offer massages? If so, would you know the length of the massage, and price?

I don't do massages, so I wouldn't know about this.

7) Does Almaplena take or require reservations?

Yes, they take reservations.

8) What is the cost, if anything, to stay at Almaplena? How and when is payment made?

We paid $59 for adults and $30 for kids, which included all you can eat and drink and transportation. They sent us a paypal invoice when we booked.

9) With regard to palapas ... most would agree ... a palapa is an open-sided dwelling (or bedding) with a thatched roof. In your pictures, we see what looks like a thatched roof umbrella (of sorts). While I understand the idea is for sun protection, it isn't really a dwelling. Does Almaplena have other covered structures on the beach? As an example, a thatched roof umbrella would indeed shield guests from sun, but if there is no seating or tables under these areas ... it would appear the only resort would be to huddle (stand) underneath the umbrella(s).

If you look at my pictures, they have the thatched roof umbrellas and they also have the big things with the sheet like structure over them with pillows under them. They also have the area up at the building where you eat that has the table and chairs and hammocks to relax in.

10) Based upon the pictures, there does not seem to be many guests at Almaplena ...nor does there seem to be tables and chairs. Are there chairs, loungers, or tables in the beach area ... or is that restricted to the eating area? If there are tables, chairs and/or loungers on the beach, are any offered in an area protected from the sun (either naturally protected, or man made)?

Steven

There are loungers under each thatched umbrella and they have a small table under there as well (to use like for putting your drinks or food on-as we did shown in my pictures).

No there are not many guests. It's a private eco resort. They only allow 20 outside people a day there (which there is never that many people because not many people know about this little gem that just opened up a year or 2 ago). The resort only has 8 rooms, which also limit the amount of people that would be there. They are an eco friendly resort and the owners live there as well.

There's also a reef out in front of the beach that you can swim to.

Hopefully that answered yours questions. :)

I just emailed Steve at Tropicanted and reserved 4 loungers and 5 Adirondak chairs for our cruise stop in AUgust, there are 9 of us all 18 and over, decided that cost wise this was the best choice, and the reveiws are great, food menu looks delicious, cant wait, his response was quick and detailed, we can even phone home to Canada to say hello,

Well I assume everyone on here must think I work for Almaplena (or Maya Chan)...or for that matter Maya Key, Little French Key, Sapphire Beach, Maho Beach, Chankanaab, Playa Mia....and the list goes on. :D I could be a spokes person for several of the wonderful places I have been. (I think they should pay me for this. :p)

Well I assume everyone on here must think I work for Almaplena (or Maya Chan)...or for that matter Maya Key, Little French Key, Sapphire Beach, Maho Beach, Chankanaab, Playa Mia....and the list goes on. :D I could be a spokes person for several of the wonderful places I have been. (I think they should pay me for this. :p)

Actually mitsugirly! I personally am so thankful for your reviews and photos! Thanks to you we have reservations at Maya key for May. I hope to return the favor and do a review of all my port experiences.

We have been to Maya Chan we fell in love so much that we even named our cat Maya Chan.... LOL. It is owned by an American Family and they are the NICEST people you will ever meet. We had a wonderful day. Actually when we were there there was only us a family of 4 another couple that we shared the day with and another group with 4 ladies. We all shared the same van ride there.

They made the kids non-alcoholic pina coladas and stawberry daquiris the bartender even made them an oreo cookie smoothie drink that could be made virgin or not. They will even come out in the water and serve you on your little floating piece of heaven.

I can't say I have ever had a better day! Almost the best day of my life besides the birth of my kids of course!

I am sure any choice you make will be fine since you will already be in paradise.

Isn't it all basically the same beach? I went to the Tropicante and I doubt they'll go under. All the entertainers from the NCL Epic go there every time they visit! It's free, the food is good, drinks cheap and tasty, and you can get a massage for $25.....what's not to like? Downside: no fancy marble bathroom....just clean and serviceable.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Im booked with maya chan. I just dont know how we get there from the ship?

If you booked Maya Chan, they provide the transportation. They should have given you directions on what to do after you booked. Did you receive an email? They usually have you walk outside the port and catch a bus that is going there with everyone else booked.

My GF and I loved this place..... You wont be disappointed... Steve will hook you up for a great time.

If you're nervous about leaving the main Port area, don't be..... There's plenty of Security just outside where the taxis are.

here's some photos

Steve (on the left) and I

NorwegianDawnCruiseFeb2014162_zpsb038f350.jpg

NorwegianDawnCruiseFeb2014151_zpsedc1ae63.jpg

NorwegianDawnCruiseFeb2014150_zps356db24c.jpg

NorwegianDawnCruiseFeb2014144_zpsff0dc7ef.jpg

Me and GF being silly in the beautiful water

NorwegianDawnCruiseFeb2014137_zpsbd040491.jpg

Edited by Hey Wang

My GF and I loved this place..... You wont be disappointed... Steve will hook you up for a great time.

If you're nervous about leaving the main Port area, don't be..... There's plenty of Security just outside where the taxis are.

here's some photos

Steve (on the left) and I

NorwegianDawnCruiseFeb2014162_zpsb038f350.jpg

NorwegianDawnCruiseFeb2014151_zpsedc1ae63.jpg

NorwegianDawnCruiseFeb2014150_zps356db24c.jpg

NorwegianDawnCruiseFeb2014144_zpsff0dc7ef.jpg

Me and GF being silly in the beautiful water

NorwegianDawnCruiseFeb2014137_zpsbd040491.jpg

Thanks for the photos, the beach looks great!

Edited by wantocruisemore

• 1 year later...

I can't compare since I've only been to Tropicante but I can't say enough about it. Steve and the staff were fantastic. Food was really good and reasonably priced, had nachos & onion rings plus a couple cokes and 2 buckets of beer for $51.00. Easily one of our favorite days on the cruise and an excursion we would certainly do again.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
After searching through many reviews, I decided on Tropicante for me and my DH on our last cruise. I don't think we could have made a better choice. Reserved chairs ahead of time w/ Steve. He and his staff were great! Great day, will go back if we are in Costa Maya again.

How did you get there?

Went to tropicante and we didn’t like it at all. Super boring no music menus is expensive compared to other restaurants around, slow internet. I see on the pics they now have new chairs n tables but when I went the place was ugly. Next time I’m going to Krazy lobster for sure. I live in a big city and some of his menu items are expensive compared to restaurants near me ( give me a break his business is in Mexico but his prices are crazy)

From his website

Bowl of soup 9$

Virgin pina colada 6$

Fajitas 15$

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Edited by mcatmcat

Well each to their own...I do want to try Krazy Lobster as well. We were going to walk down there but never made it. I didn't think prices were that bad and I personally don't worry about internet when I'm on vaca...that's the last thing I want lol.

Interesting . . . We went to Tropicante and for 8 people our bill including quite a few drinks was $175. That’s about $22 a person and included a t shirt for my son. I thought that was pretty reasonable. We had a Bluetooth speaker for music, a frisbee and the ocean. Not a bad way to spend a day.