'Dining' suggestions near FLL Embassy Suites

bigreckster

We're staying at Embassy Suites on 17th St. for pre-cruise and needed suggestions of a dining venue (no pizza/burger/etc chain) within walking distance. My wife needs gluten-free menu offerings which tend to be accomodated better at more upscale restaurants. Any input is greatly appreciated since we are unfamiliar with this location/port.:)

We're staying at Embassy Suites on 17th St. for pre-cruise and needed suggestions of a dining venue (no pizza/burger/etc chain) within walking distance. My wife needs gluten-free menu offerings which tend to be accomodated better at more upscale restaurants. Any input is greatly appreciated since we are unfamiliar with this location/port.:)

There are a ton in the immediate vicinity. We've made extensive lists but the first couple that come to mind are Outback Steakhouse, CoCo Asian, and China Grille.

PF Changs has a Gluten free menu but they are at the Galleria.

Bistro Mezzaluna and Coco Asian Bistro are the closest nice restaurants to the hotel. You can also walk to Bimini Boatyard, Taza, Market 17, Outback, and China Grill. Chuck's Steakhouse is across the street (old fashioned family steakhouse with salad bar). Most of the other restaurants in the area are diner, Mexican, pub, burrito, pizza, burger, raw bar, sports bar, etc.

Also, check the restaujrant right in the lobby of the Embassy Suites hotel. Not sure about the special diet, but worth a look.

Jan

We are considering this hotel too. Love embassy's... Free good breakfast, happy hour, good stuff!!

We like the pub across the street - Waxy O'Connors and we have eaten in the hotel restaurant (it was okay, but not great, in my opinion). I don't know what either offer that would fit into a gluten free diet, but you can go online and look at their menus and see what your options are.

Overall we were not at all impressed. But re dinner we went to Chucks across the street which was just ok good food with mediocre service. And we went to Bimini Boatyard. Pretty good food but high pressure sales on the service and we were very unimpressed overall. I wrote to the resto re their approach. And watch for the 18% service fee we asked what it was for and got a vague answer. I said "so it's your tip?". Then he semi-agreed. Not very straight forward

Or honest.

Overall we were not at all impressed. But re dinner we went to Chucks across the street which was just ok good food with mediocre service. And we went to Bimini Boatyard. Pretty good food but high pressure sales on the service and we were very unimpressed overall. I wrote to the resto re their approach. And watch for the 18% service fee we asked what it was for and got a vague answer. I said "so it's your tip?". Then he semi-agreed. Not very straight forward

Or honest.

What do you mean by high pressure sales on service, are you talking about the tip? Fill me in... Enquiring minds want to know.:confused::confused:

As soon as we sat down and had not even looked at the menu the waiter was suggesting we try their famous calamari. When we ordered our meal he offered us both a side order of lobster to enhance our meal. We ordered a Caesar salad to share and he suggested adding chicken. And the one I remember the most my husband finished before me and he cleared his plate while suggesting dessert. Thought he could have waited for me to finish!! It wasboverbthe top and left an overall bad taste in our mouth.

So they applied an 18% service fee on a tab for the two of you??

Do either of you speak with a British accent? :)

Sometimes the servers assume that someone not from North America isn't familiar with tipping standards. Pretty pushy of them though. We ate at the Bimini Boatyard in March. I recall maybe having suggestions given various times (they didn't feel pushier than suggestions) but we were allowed to determine the tip on our own.

Yes, 18% service charge. I asked the waiter what it was and again was less than impressed with his "forthcoming-ness" on the answer. He said its a charge they apply here. I said, so its your tip. He said, sort of. He did say - if its too much I can ask the manager to reduce it. No, its fine I said, and I left less than that anyway and left him to figure it out.

And, while I think of it, I recall when we went in to the restaurant and said we were "two for dinner" they took us to a nice table by the water. I asked to see the menu for the Happy Hour. Not available at these tables I was told. Oh, ok, I said. I heard three other tables get the same response. The restaurant must realize most are tourists who have read about the place, and the Happy Hour special menu, etc. and when people come it it would not be difficult for them to say "are you here for dinner or Happy Hour" and let people decide instead of forcing them to have to ask to be moved once they are seated.

Overall, as I said, pushy and high pressure sales and not very open/forth-coming about their modus operandi.

josie..sorry you had a bad experience there....

not to be argumentative at all....but, as a single female diner, i often run into odd service for lack of a better term, and here i felt welcome....perhaps things have changed-sort of sounds that way! :mad:....i can understand some suggestive selling as they are trying to increase their average check, BUT the attitude of your server was really over the top, and i certainly would have said something....

i was quite happy with my food though......but it's been about a year so i can understand that things may have taken a turn south....

thanks for sharing your experience though...and it is something for people to keep in the back of their minds....

Archived