One man's review of a cruise on the Ruby Princess

lovelearnteach

Great review so far...quick question. What time did you arrive at the port and how long did it take you from the time you dropped off your bags to when you were getting on the ship? Thanks for the info!

I believe we were dropped off at about 11:50a.m. and I know we were in the MDR at 12:30-p.m., so I'm not sure exactly how long that process was because I was so busy running my mouth with the new couple I had just met I was not paying attention to the time. Within 40 minutes after being dropped off from the taxi we were in the MDR for lunch. The line to get on board was moving the whole time, we never stood around waiting, I was impressed at how smooth that whole process was.

Terry got a bacon cheeseburger and fries. When I asked him how it was he said okay. I was a little surprised, as a lot of people have raved about the hamburgers in the MDR, saying they are far superior to the ones on the Sun Deck. Terry had banana ice cream, which was yummy and I had the apple pie that was really good.

My goal on this cruise was to take a pic of everything I ate, and I did. Here's where I insert my disclaimer :o, I broke my camera the Thur. before we were leaving for our cruise. When I took it to the camera store to see if it could be repaired I was told to just buy a new camera, because the cost to fix mine would be about the same and would take at least a week if not 2. So off to Walmart I headed to get a cheap digital camera for the cruise. I got one for $50, and I got what I payed for. My old camera knew if it needed the flash or not, this cheapo didn't and it whited out a lot of my food pix, as well as other pix. My cousins new husband says he might be able to fix them, I just haven't had time to get over there for him to mess with them. I'm keeping my fingers crossed he can save my pix, if not lesson learned. I'm a foodie and I love to look at pix of food, so I will post all the pix that turned out.

The service was excellent from the waiter and her assistant. I know some people have complained that they received poor service because they did not buy a beverage from the waiters. I never once experienced less service because I didn't purchase a beverage. Which reminds me of something I forgot to mention earlier, we got stuck with anytime dinning. I'm a late traditional person, but due to the large group of Chumley Bears it was full. We were forced into AD and I was sad about it. Now that all is said and done I'm more confused than ever. I did like being able to go to dinner whenever we wanted, but I also like having the same table mates and same waiters every night. Not sure which we will do on our next cruise.

10326437_Picture978.jpg.e0db92c6f0d46851a6e663bc19fd38bd.jpg

34934563_Picture979.jpg.c13232dfb53a7ced43e1759b66121ae6.jpg

844165876_Picture980.jpg.8122f3194c7a2949b61c7025c90d50c0.jpg

129324581_Picture981.jpg.84a5a6499ac3bfcef143f635d688e611.jpg

Hi Ken!

We were part of your CC group! Enjoying your review. Hope all is well.

Donna (kendon)

Hi Donna, glad your reading along, please feel free to interject any of your opinions, as you were on the same cruise :). We're doin' good, how about you guys?

After lunch we decide to head back to the cabin and check it out and read the Patter to see what are plans are going to be. We are on Deck 14 the Riviera Deck in cabin 331 on inside cabin. I'm a firm believer in an inside cabin, we can take more vacations. I tried a balcony last year on the Emerald and it was nice, but not necessary for me. I know some people, our friends from Canada, will only stay in a balcony room. I just feel for me the money from the price difference between an inside and a balcony is better spent elsewhere. To each his/her own, if the balcony is your thing go for it, I don't feel we are in the room enough to make the extra cost worth it.

2129470622_Picture964.jpg.f9345857ac1a0c1871fb39345a8218a2.jpg

1030107163_Picture965.jpg.f160a14d1f9a1f914acaf261b8c26e32.jpg

279473149_Picture967.jpg.104961c94af416ab4b39f04392b9c680.jpg

282242547_Picture986.jpg.1ae9daa21aa77afe30990121872b4522.jpg

Ken - it looks like there is a brown blanket on your bed. Did you bring that from home or is it something new that Princess is providing. I've been reading that they only supply a duvet.

I'm guessing you also brought the pillow. Nice touch - makes the stateroom "homey".

Ken - it looks like there is a brown blanket on your bed. Did you bring that from home or is it something new that Princess is providing. I've been reading that they only supply a duvet.

I'm guessing you also brought the pillow. Nice touch - makes the stateroom "homey".

Both the blanket and the pillow were provided by Princess, but both disappeared after the cabin steward turned down the beds at night.

Our cabin steward, Jonel, came to the door and introduced himself told us what hours he was available and asked if we needed anything. Our cabin steward on the Emerald last year never did introduce themself to us and I never really knew who they were. Jonel did an excellent job for the entire week and always promptly responded to our requests. I asked him for 2 extra bed pillows and a foam bed topper for my bed. By this time it was almost time for the muenster drill, so we grabbed our life vests and headed to our station which was the Wheelhouse Bar. By the end of the drill I'm having a hard time keeping my eyes open, with only 6 hours sleep since Friday, it's really starting to catch up to me. So I head back to the cabin and take a little nap. I really love to go to the sail-away party, but I was just to tired. We also were supposed to meet our RC group in Crooner's from 4:30p.m.-5:30p.m. for a drink before dinner.

697714965_Picture983.jpg.1066f42c52fd08a97e285bbf6d05f7fa.jpg

1982609534_Picture987.jpg.2de20c187d0458de1f409cfba62793d9.jpg

1658953870_Picture992.jpg.842249c2f5dcb4904605d7fa83e00809.jpg

Edited by lovelearnteach

Ken, I am enjoying your review. Thank you. About the blanket: we always ask our room steward for two blankets (for naps, so we don't mess up the bed) along with a top sheet and the foam topper. :rolleyes: I think that was a blanket in the photo and not the rubber luggage thing.

Ken, I am enjoying your review. Thank you. About the blanket: we always ask our room steward for two blankets (for naps, so we don't mess up the bed) along with a top sheet and the foam topper. :rolleyes: I think that was a blanket in the photo and not the rubber luggage thing.

Thank-you so much, I was looking at the pix and there are 2 different color objects on the beds, one might be a blanket. :confused: I'm more confused than ever, :D!

Edited by lovelearnteach

The first level of of the Main Piazza has the International Cafe, Vines Wine Bar and tapas and sushi bar, the Internet Cafe, the Future Cruise Sales office and the Michelangelo Dinning Room. I did not try the sushi or tapas on the Ruby but I did try it last year on the Emerald and it was awesome. The line to get a beeper for dinner was so long and not moving hardly at all so we decide to head up to the buffet for dinner. The Di Vinci Dinning Room was only open from 5:30p.m.-6:00p.m. for AT dinning for some reason, someone said it had to do with the big group that was on board. I stop by the Customer Services Desk to drop off invitations to the crew to attend our Cruise Critic Meet & Mingle, and then we head up to the Sun Deck.

1089087606_Picture1007.jpg.e8baa0de0803a7d94319a2b0caac06ab.jpg

712999543_Picture1008.jpg.cf80c3907dbf894cd9ddafee98878a3d.jpg

966591804_Picture1009.jpg.7a47418543519571cb22654a56301220.jpg

647165761_Picture1010.jpg.cbc3b745c7625347075332b61b43c0e9.jpg

1747988244_Picture1141.jpg.bd45cb0208c2ef2f5d99c41c17f919c3.jpg

142005129_Picture1145.jpg.6b2878275b012ae54b246df3b98d93a7.jpg

Here are some pix of the Sun Deck as you come off the glass elevators. This is the Calypso Reef and Pool, Movies Under The Stars (MUTS), the Pizza & Ice Cream Parlors, Neptune's Reef & Pool and Horizon Court. I learned this cruise the 2nd reason why I prefer the dinning room over the buffet, I way overeat at the buffet :p. I have 6 pix of 6 plates of food, unfortunately only 1 turned out. I kept going back even though I was full, wanting to try different things. Okay 1 pic is a cup of soup :p, in the 1 that did turn out it's a crab cake and remoulade sauce and a garlic roll. They were both quite tasty as well as most other foods I tried at the buffet. The Biggest reason I prefer the dinning room is getting served. It's just nice to be pampered and waited on, it makes my vacation feel more luxurious.

Any deck noise coming from above your room? I'm booked in 336 on my upcoming cruise and looks like we both landed right underneath a pool area. Thanks in advance!

Yes, but the only time I heard noise was around 8:00a.m. and we were always up by then. I'm a heavy sleeper and I was never disturbed by any noise while sleeping at night, or napping during the day. My uncle is a very light sleeper and he said he never heard any noise that he can remember and certainly was never woke up by any noise from above. The noise I heard sounded like deck chairs being dragged, although why I always heard it at that time and not any other I'm unsure.