Tipping in New Zealand/Australia/Rarotonga

KCSungirl

Can someone advise me on what to do about tipping in NZ, AUS, RARO? I understand these are non-tipping cultures. Do they expect tips from Americans since we are a tipping society?

Give me the rules please! Taxis? Porters? Waiters?

Cheers, Sungirl

Can someone advise me on what to do about tipping in NZ, AUS, RARO? I understand these are non-tipping cultures. Do they expect tips from Americans since we are a tipping society?

Cheers, Sungirl

It is a case of when in Rome.... In the US, I tip because it is the local custom although this is not customary in Australia. Nor is it customary in NZ - not sure about Rarotonga (?). The only places , occasions where tipping may be expected - regardless of accent and nationality - in Australia would be multi starred restaurants, but even then only if you were very pleased with the service or if someone provides a special service that is above and beyond reasonable expectations and you are very grateful for this. You will not be hassled for tips or disrespected for not tipping.

Relax and enjoy the tipless experience.

Colleen

Have lived in NZ all my life and have never ever tipped here. It is absolutely not expected. :)

While we tip when we are in US, and we know that sometimes folk from there may tip here, no one will expect you to tip. No one.:)

We have a minimum wage here for all workers. The costs of food etc will reflect that.

We have travelled to both Aussie and Rarotonga and their cultures are the same. No tips expected, so relax and enjoy.

Our problem is learning who to tip when in US and not to forget anyone!

Cheers, Sungirl

No, please don't tip. It isn't expected, and people are paid a decent minimum wage, so are not dependent on tips to earn a living. For the most part, a smile and a "thank you" will suffice.

Some hotels in large cities may anticipate tips from Americans. They've been "corrupted" ;). There is no need to tip.

There's no need to tip porters.

It is quite common to "round up" a taxi fare to the nearest dollar. For example, if the fare is $29.50, give $30 and tell the driver to keep the change.

Many restaurants add a Service Charge to your bill, and claim this is for the staff - maybe it is? Some cafes have a jar for tips on the counter - it's not required to put anything in the jar, but some people take the opportunity to rid themselves of small denomination loose change.

I hope this helps and that you have a great holiday.

When in Rome do as the Romans do .

You only tip here for outstanding service, and no hospitality staff will blink an eyelid when you leave the exact amount as per the bill .

Australian hospitality staff are well paid by International standards and do not have to rely on tips to generate a decent take home wage .

We were in Australia in September and October. I never gave a tip. My Aussie friends threatened to cut off my hand if I even thought about it.

LOL just added a cruise to Oz and Nz in 2013 and I promise in my signature not to tip :)

We are on the Oceania Regatta feb 21.Coming into Sydney 5 days in advance.Being a NEW YORKA I will find it hard to NOT tip.Do I not tip the bell hop that takes my luggage from the cab to the lobby. Do I not tip the bell hop that brings my luggage to my room? Do I not tip the Concierge who makes a reservation for me at a restaurant or for a tour? Very confused thanks

We are on the Oceania Regatta feb 21.Coming into Sydney 5 days in advance.Being a NEW YORKA I will find it hard to NOT tip.Do I not tip the bell hop that takes my luggage from the cab to the lobby. Do I not tip the bell hop that brings my luggage to my room? Do I not tip the Concierge who makes a reservation for me at a restaurant or for a tour? Very confused thanks

No, you don't tip. These people may look for a tip, simply because you are American. And you know why? It's because Americans can't do as the people who live in our countries do. In other words, they are not respecting our culture, but are "Americanising" it - and we don't like that!!

There is no need to tip, because our countries have legislated a decent minimum wage and tips are not necessary to supplement this income.

Please don't tip

No.

No.

No.

Here in SoCal, of course, we have gotten accustomed to adding a "standard" 20%, sometimes more...

So, when traveling, we often get a little confused...

In Europe, for example, we've been to restaurants where you give them your credit card and the slip comes back with no line on which to even add a tip if you wanted...Yet other restaurants give you a bill that clearly says "Service not included"...

In the second instance, I usually end up giving a tip...though maybe not as large as I would here at home...

In countries such as Australia and New Zealand, my basic understanding is that it is, for all intent and purpose, SERVICE INCLUDED...so, the cost of your meal already includes the tip--it's just embedded within the price...That Cheeseburger you may pay $10 for here in the US and then leave an additional $2 as a tip will, in Australia cost $12...and no additional tip expected...The cost is really the same...it's just a cultural difference as to how you pay it...

My wife has a bit of trouble with this...She will usually comment to me "But our waitress was SO nice!", hinting to me that she deserves a large tip...and then she looks askance at me when I don't add one...

OTOH, I've seen her give a server an extra 20% when the service was already included!

Just so that you can see that we are not kidding:-

Do I not tip the bell hop that takes my luggage from the cab to the lobby.
No!
Do I not tip the bell hop that brings my luggage to my room?
No!
Do I not tip the Concierge who makes a reservation for me at a restaurant or for a tour?
No!

The most important thing is that you must leave behind your social/cultural upbringing which says that you are a bad person if you don't tip (actually, many Americans seem to think that they will burn in hell if they don't tip).

If you went to a supermarket and the price tag said $2 for a carton of orange juice, you'd expect to pay $2. Think like this: it's exactly the same if you go to an Australian restaurant and the price tag is $10 for your meal.

On our Aussie cruise in September, in Darwin we took a private tour. Our guide mentioned that she works some as a waitress. She said she would not consider and waitress job that paid less than $25 per hour.

That's the first I've heard of such rates. Local waitress rates are more typically around the $15/hour mark. May be some penalty rates involved, but that's often expected/included in such hospitality roles.

That's the first I've heard of such rates. Local waitress rates are more typically around the $15/hour mark. May be some penalty rates involved, but that's often expected/included in such hospitality roles.

I believe that the adult minimum hourly rate set Federally is $15 or 16'something an hour and casual loadings add an extra 25% to that. Very few wait staff would be permanent so most would be earning the base rate plus casual loading which makes the hourly rate for a casual somewhere between $20-$21 per hour (plus an additional 9% superannuation). $25/hour is pretty rich but if one works in an environment where good staff are hard to find then you can pretty well set your own price to meet the demand.

Ok, I am way over the tipping thing! The expensive pricing is much more than I would spen in the us evern after tipping. I am acutally enjoying the concept. No need need to change your system for us silly Americans. Auckland rocks, wish I had more time to explore before boarding the ship tomorrow.

cheers, sungirl

Thank you for the clarification on tipping etiquette.

As this was not discussed yet, how about tipping for organized tours?

Very rare on tours in Australia and NZ - usually only on long tours with O/N stops. At the end the passengers may take up a collection and present a gift to tour leader and driver at the farewell dinner if they have enjoyed the experience. There is no expectation of this whether the tour is a large group tour on a coach or a smaller group in a van or taxi.

Colleen

We plan on taking a full day tour to Hunter Valley from Sydney. Would you give the driver or tour guide anything or is the price of the tour enough.

Thanks for your help.

IMHO I would tip about $5.00 for the tour guide and $2.00 to the driver.I am from the states and thats what I would do.There are a few non Americans on this thread who think our tipping is a little whacky and stupid.That I think is a little narrow minded if you ask me.I do not know if there cheap or it was ingrained in them from birth now to tip.

IMHO I would tip about $5.00 for the tour guide and $2.00 to the driver.I am from the states and thats what I would do.There are a few non Americans on this thread who think our tipping is a little whacky and stupid.That I think is a little narrow minded if you ask me.I do not know if there cheap or it was ingrained in them from birth now to tip.

I am an American...and one who is fairly generous WHEN TIPPING IS WITHIN THE SYSTEM...

It's not a question of tipping being "whacky and stupid"...Rather its a question of what the local custom and system is...

In the US, we tip because that is, generally, how certain service professions are compensated...

In some cultures, however, that is not the case...the service providers are compensated with a higher base wage and the cost of that is incorporated within the pricing.

In many cultures, US and abroad, some services are provided with bills which state "Service included" or "Service NOT included", giving you the hint to tip or nopt to tip accordingly...

The "default" in the US is service not included...but, in Australia/New Zealand, the default position would be "service included"...

Ever go to a US restaurant where, for parties greater than 6, they add an 18 or 20% gratuity onto the tip for you? do you still tip on top of that? THAT would be "whacky and stupid"...

True it would be whacky to tip on a 18% restaurant check. I do agree. But I was mearly talking about a tour guide and driver.Or for that matter a bell hop who carried your bags to your room.If my tipping in Australia or New Zeland is going to upset the balance of power then I assume the person who I offer the tip to would very nicely tell me no thank you, and I would respect that.

I have been to wedding's and hotel affairs where I attempted to tip the car valet, but was told by him that the tips where taken care of by the host.So I thanked him and did not tip him.

Archived