After a lot of research, I'm still not sure what beach?

Mike981

We are two couples in the 45-55 age range.

We are looking for a nice beach that has some life, but not a crazy party atmosphere. We would like to have drinks and some decent food.

No one is a huge snorkel fan, but we do like to walk around on the beach and in the water and take in the sites.

Although not a big deal for us two guys, I am sure the ladies would like to have access to a decent bathroom. :D

We are all willing to walk a fair distance, or pickup a cab.

I was thinking of Brandons beach, but not sure.

Any suggestions?

Thank you,

Mike

We went to Accra/Rockley Beach a couple of years ago and loved it very nice, only thing , dont get off where the masses go , asked to be let off at the very end , there is a beach bar at the end , our cabbie suggested it. It was very private had nice shade trees and sun nice restrooms food beer , chairs were free as long as we bought something . I don't remember the name of the bar but its at the very end the next thing is a wall and there are houses.

Frito, just a quick question. Were cabs easy to find for the ride home?

Thanks again for your help.

Yea as stated , ours wouldnt even accept any money for the trip there , said pay me when i pick you up. It was a little pricey as recall , but what the heck it was a beautiful beach and a nice location and your on vacation and here i sit in 20 degree weather :p:)

We went to Rockley Beach last year and it was great. The name of the bar that we stayed near was Bar Kan'ei. We asked the cab driver to drop us there and pick us up at a certain time. We didn't pay him until he came back. The bar charged us for chairs and umbrellas, but the amount paid was a credit toward food and drinks. The food and drinks were a little pricey but you see that at most beach bars. The beach is beautiful. We would go there again in a heartbeat.

We went to Rockley Beach last year and it was great.

The name of the bar that we stayed near was Bar Kan'ei. ===> Ownership and name changed,now..but still the same place.

We asked the cab driver to drop us there and pick us up at a certain time.

We didn't pay him until he came back. ===> A common arrangement, but not real necessary, at this beach.

The beach is beautiful. We would go there again in a heartbeat.

Listen to the man! ;)

BarK-072.jpg

This is the place...

BarK-071.jpg

It's at the quiet Eastern end of the beach. ;)

Thank you tlund and aplmac!

With the recommendation and those great pictures, my quest is done.

Glad to help.

Here are a few more pics from the Eastern end of Rockley Beach

to keep you keen until you get here..

Rockley-088.jpg

This is about as far East as one can get, on Rockley Beach!!

Rockley-084.jpg

This one's taken a bit closer to the beach-bar, now visible at right

Rockley-083.jpg

-and THIS...is the kinda hurried stressed day you might expect... :D

That would be it , couldnt remember the name of it. They never charged us for chairs our cabbie was friends with them as long as we bought some stuff. Its a great place , like I said when we where there there was my wife and and couple from NY and that was it. You look up the beach and there were just people everywhere abd we had this whole section to ourselves.

• 2 weeks later...

Aplmac,

We went to this beach two years ago and it was great. Do you know the new name of the bar and if they offer the same deal of giving you a credit towards food and drinks for the price of the chair/umbrella rental? To get there, we decided to get a taxi to the Hilton so we could walk the (long) boardwalk (right along the ocean) to the end and there it was.

Last year we went to Carlisle beach, near the Yacht Club, and liked that beach even better. Not so much drop off and calmer water when we were there. We set up a few bars away from the Boatyard and it was quiet. We bought a Banks beer at one of the bars and used their washroom. An awesome day.

Does anyone know how far it is where they drop you off to the area with the chairs? We're travelling with my mother who can't walk very far. Thanks.

Very close, you can get dropped off right by the restaurant area at the end. I'm sure your mom would be fine. :)

Take note, right off the beach, this is a very, very congested area, with heavy traffic and a lot of exhaust fumes. We thought we'd try to do a little

"shopping," walked for about 5 minutes and went back to the beach, too dirty and did not feel at all like being on an island, it was not nice.....

The beach was okay, takes nice pics, but it was very crowded and well-used by cruise tourists when we were there. It was our least favorite of our cruise, in fact.

We visited Barbados on Carnival in August 2008 and loved it so much we went back to the island for 2 weeks in August 2010.

It was one of the best vacations we've ever had. We loved the island and everything about it - the people, the food, the beaches...

Yes, there are some areas where traffic can be a little crazy, but no worse than what I've experienced on other islands.

Rockley Beach and Bar Kanei were our favourite spots to just hang out and chill. If you like to snorkel, there's a small reef straight out from the bar. We saw turtles at that reef most mornings, except on days when the water was a little rough.

Taxis are plentiful and their transit system is great (and cheap). Some of our best entertainment was taking the bus (especially the white ZR's).

Cheers, P:)

• 2 weeks later...
*snip*

Rockley Beach and Bar Kanei were our favourite spots to just hang out and chill. If you like to snorkel, there's a small reef straight out from the bar. We saw turtles at that reef most mornings, except on days when the water was a little rough.

Taxis are plentiful and their transit system is great (and cheap). Some of our best entertainment was taking the bus (especially the white ZR's).

THanks for the info!!! I was intrigued by the beach but wasn't sure about the snorkeling--- is the small reef close to shore? Or do you have to swim out through deep water a good while before you hit it? I don't mind it, but my husband isn't too comfortable snorkling/swimming in deep (15 ft+) water for too long.

The reef is only about 150 yards out. Stand on the beach with your back to Bar Kanei and you'll see the 2 flags that mark either end of the reef.

Once there, the depth of the water is around 15' or so, but the top of reef is generally within 3-4 feet of the surface. There is a bit of a current on the outside of the reef, but it's not that bad.

You can actually walk out about halfway to the reef.

Here are some of our pics from Aug 2010. Most of the turtle photos were taken at Rockely:

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.472934985680.246435.567405680&type=3&l=7a121683da

You really can't go wrong with ANY of the beaches in Barbados, they are all beautiful...

We were just there last week. The name of the bar is now called Side Shore Beach Bar & Bistro. You pay $5 for a beach chair and you get a ticket. Use the ticket at the bar for a drink, so you get the chair for free. We really liked the beach.

The price of the taxi is $7.50 pp each way. Our driver even picked us up from the beach at the time we requested, for the return trip to the port.

Archived