how to adjust the daily service charge with HAL?

Dennis75

Has it occurred to you that English may not be this poster's first language? Your s******ing makes you sound like a school bully.

Those of us who have been around this forum for several years can recognize recycled troublemakers when they make a new appearance.

Under normal circumstances, yes it would be bullying to make fun of spelling. You are quite correct.

Also, although not in this case----sometimes when we "know" a poster well and have enjoyed banter with them in the past, we can also have a little friendly fun with a typo.

Hello!!

The crew members don;t have checking accounts all over the world!! So writing a personal check is worthless to them!!

???

You do realize you don't need to be a member of the same bank as the one the cheque is drawn on to deposit it right? In my business I receive personal cheques from all over the world and deposit them in my account without issue.

Thank you for clearing that up. I'm glad, because I would have hated if he had to turn it in. It was meant for him alone. I did not reduce our service charges.

Sapper, I thought your post was amusing, it made me giggle....not bullying....some people need to lighten up.

???

You do realize you don't need to be a member of the same bank as the one the cheque is drawn on to deposit it right? In my business I receive personal cheques from all over the world and deposit them in my account without issue.

Whether a cheque in general would or wouldn't be of use to someone working on the ship isn't the real point here. A cheque is a paper trail, one that in this case would contain the name of the guest(s) who removed their auto-tips as well as the amount that the crew member received. If they're concerned about breaking the rules with cash, imagine the hazards that a cheque would pose!

Whether a cheque in general would or wouldn't be of use to someone working on the ship isn't the real point here. A cheque is a paper trail, one that in this case would contain the name of the guest(s) who removed their auto-tips as well as the amount that the crew member received. If they're concerned about breaking the rules with cash, imagine the hazards that a cheque would pose!

I see your point here. Which is why I'm sure they have many ways of tucking tips away.

:confused: You do realize that their bank is most likely in Indonesia or the Philippines, right?

Add that to the probability that the home bank will make a hefty charge for honouring a deposited US cheque. I know that Canadian banks charge through the nose for US cheques. Since the staff members don't get home for months they also run the risk that the cheque will be stale dated by the time they get to deposit it.

Since it is a personal cheque it is doubtful that the front desk will cash it for them.

???

Obviously you have easy acess to your bank account...The workers on the ship may have banks back in their home country which they may not visit for some time...And these banks may not have branches all over the world...I can understand why they would prefer cash instad of a check.

So? You don't think an Indonesian or Philippino bank will cash a cheque drawn on a US or Canadian bank?

Banking systems are different in different countries

Many countries (and their banking system) don't have the clearing systems that we do. They would most likely send the cheque on collection and levy a large fee for it. The fee could possibly be more than the cheque is worth. :rolleyes:

So? You don't think an Indonesian or Philippino bank will cash a cheque drawn on a US or Canadian bank?
No, of course not. Not without making it uneconomic to do so.

In fact, you don't even need to go as far as Indonesia or the Philippines. Here in London, one of Europe's leading financial centres, we occasionally get sent personal cheques by well-meaning US acquaintances to celebrate (shall we say) life events. Nice though the gesture is, these cheques just go into the shredder. There is no way that, even in London, we can get any reasonable value out of a US cheque. Trying to cash a $100 cheque would result in the banks first taking $60-70 in fees.

I have read through most of this thread and I totally agree, cash is the only way. I am an accountant and issue many payroll checks. Many of the employees I issue checks for do not have a bank account and go to the corner check cashing store to cash their paychecks. I can only imagine the logistics for a cruise employee trying to cash a check. The service fees would be astronomical.

Add that to the probability that the home bank will make a hefty charge for honouring a deposited US cheque. I know that Canadian banks charge through the nose for US cheques. Since the staff members don't get home for months they also run the risk that the cheque will be stale dated by the time they get to deposit it.

Since it is a personal cheque it is doubtful that the front desk will cash it for them.

I seem to recall hearing about Crew having their own Purser who is able to help them with their cash/pay/banking needs.

I seem to recall hearing about Crew having their own Purser who is able to help them with their cash/pay/banking needs.
But even if they do, that would rather tend to defeat the object of the exercise of giving the crew member a cheque to help them evade the requirement to put tips into the pool.

Those of us who have been around this forum for several years can recognize recycled troublemakers when they make a new appearance.

Under normal circumstances, yes it would be bullying to make fun of spelling. You are quite correct.

Also, although not in this case----sometimes when we "know" a poster well and have enjoyed banter with them in the past, we can also have a little friendly fun with a typo.

Not to mention that it is a bit difficult to take seriously someone who identifies themselves as being from the location "Mars".;)

• 2 weeks later...

Oh my goodness:eek: same old......... Doesn't matter which board it's all the same!

Cruise company's should pay a real wage for the job in hand, and add it to the fare. That way people would know the cost regardless of where they come from. Ie America/ Europe, and they can then decide if they can afford it or not. Not everybody cruises every year! Some people have saved up a long time for a once in a lifetime trip, and dont even realise the cost of 'so called tips'. Tips could then be given for what they are intended.

I have been on a few cruises in the Carribean where certain people think that throwing money at the bar staff, is the correct way to act, just so that they either get served before other people or not have the drink added to their bar bill!!

Shoot me.....

Oh my goodness:eek: same old......... Doesn't matter which board it's all the same!

Cruise company's should pay a real wage for the job in hand, and add it to the fare. That way people would know the cost regardless of where they come from. Ie America/ Europe, and they can then decide if they can afford it or not. Not everybody cruises every year! Some people have saved up a long time for a once in a lifetime trip, and dont even realise the cost of 'so called tips'. Tips could then be given for what they are intended.

I have been on a few cruises in the Carribean where certain people think that throwing money at the bar staff, is the correct way to act, just so that they either get served before other people or not have the drink added to their bar bill!!

Shoot me.....

As you say - same old. I have little sympathy for anyone that is about to spend a significant amount of money for ANYTHING and can not be bothered to do a little research first. The information is readily available from a variety of sources. BTW, the constant whining abut the tipping thing also gets old. Its just a cultural difference and in the end, the cost to the consumer is about the same. We have been fortunate to have visited England a couple of times, did our homework, and were not surprised by the higher prices with no tipping, especially in the pubs. I remain unconvinced that one system is better than the other.

As you say - same old. I have little sympathy for anyone that is about to spend a significant amount of money for ANYTHING and can not be bothered to do a little research first. The information is readily available from a variety of sources. BTW, the constant whining abut the tipping thing also gets old. Its just a cultural difference and in the end, the cost to the consumer is about the same. We have been fortunate to have visited England a couple of times, did our homework, and were not surprised by the higher prices with no tipping, especially in the pubs. I remain unconvinced that one system is better than the other.

It comes down to "when in Rome (or on a cruise ship)". It doesn't matter if you "like" the way cruise lines pay their employees - it isn't up to the passenger how the company runs their business.

The automatic daily service charge (gratuities) was initiated by the various cruise lines because

passengers were stiffing the staff and not leaving tips or being cheap about it.At one time you dropped tip envelopes into a "tip box" at the front desk.An officer on one ship told me it wasn't unusual to open envelopes that were empty.

People know in advance (or should know) what the tipping policty is and should plan accordingly.If you can't afford it stay home.

Personally I think the cruise lines should include gratuities in the pricing so you know what you are going to pay.If service is sub par they could reimburse after receiving a signed complaint.

You pay for port charges even though you may not leave the ship while in a port.

They advise of possible fuel surcharges and if imposed you can't have them reversed.

It's all well and good to say increase the staff wages but we wind up paying anyway you slice it.

You will still be expected to tip for decent service.

Archived