smell of sewage on Regent Voyager Nov 2011

rosewood jo

I have sent many emails on this issues and been told to upgrade and pay to get off of either of these floors....they should be moving us based on our poor experience from Nov 2011...getting our TA on it this Monday.....jo ann & richard:eek:

We were on the Mariner last month on the even side of 8th floor and never smelled anything unusual the length of the hallway on the even side of 8 .We never really walked on the odd side of 8 but never heard of any issues. Several times we did smell a sewage odor on the hallway outside of the most aft cabins on the odd side of 7. I think from about 769 back to 779. My sister was in that part of the ship. We noticed it intermittently the first few days but not later in the voyage and never inside their cabin.

TA and Regent regional rep...they say we have to wait till 2-3 days before sailing for them to move us more mid cabin on 7th or 8th floor. That's absurd!

I agree that sewage smells are unacceptable. (And it's odd we currently have multiple reports of this on both Mariner and Voyager, when it doesn't seem to have been a problem in the past.) But Regent's inability to move you doesn't seem "absurd", if the other staterooms in a similar class of room are currently booked. The hopeful thing is that it's likely one or more suites will free up due to cancellations/upgrades, and you'll be able to be moved.

-- Eric

As a follow-up to my previous post regarding the sewage smell on the Voyager, the smell was only for one morning. After four days at sea we had just docked and I suspect that they were off loading waste (still don't think it is necessary for us to smell it). On the 19 or 20(?) days we have been on board, this is the only time I noticed a sewage smell and it did not last for very long.

Here's the issue: We all mostly agree that there is a sewage issue on board the ships, at least on deck seven aft. I have experienced it in the hallway by the aft staircase on Mariner, pretty consistently during our very smooth crossing in March. The issue is not what steps Regent will take to move people to the No Smell Zone; it's what is the reasons for odor leakage, and what is the company going to do about it? Regent, do not try and ignore the issue! Communicate recognition of the problem and outline your plans for repairing the system. It's PR 101. Get the truth out, or the word of mouth will kill you. There is very little as unsettling as a sewage issue. People, rightly or wrongly, conclude the worst, or at the least, speculate on it. Perhaps if the Smell (think 1950's movie The Blob) creeped to the Atrium area on both ships, management would be more forthcoming!

No need to call in the troops or bother Mark Conroy as The staff pays incredible attention to detail. The Voyager is fine...just a 5 minute blip. Nothing to worry about. On this cruise, even the G.M. Walks around making sure plates are placed correctly. There is no way they would ignore a sewage issue.

Enjoy the holidays.... Everything should be taken care of:)

BTW, the 5 minute odor on the Voyager was on deck 5. Deck 7 was fine. Must be a different issue.

This is a bit like beating the proverbial dead horse....I'm glad there is no problem on the Voyager. There IS a problem on the Mariner and this has been confirmed again and again. It was barely detectable at times, unpleasant at other times and occasionally absolutely awful. We talked to Reception about this on numerous occasions and had maintenance come to our cabin a few times. They are well aware of the problem and hopefully it will be resolved soon.

We are on the Mariner 1/6/12 Fll to Lima, in an even G on Deck 7. Given all the talk herein, we are concerned with a nasty sewer smell in "the hood" or frankly anywhere on board. Our TA reports all is well, and not to worry, but the reports are disconcerting. Has anyone heard if Regent has acknowledged the issue, much less been reassuring re; a fix??? And to Col. Wes, Cal Class of 1975, I am but a pup, Class of 1976/JD 1980.... Go Bears!!!

I'm sorry. I am very easy to please in general, I assure you.

However, being greeted with the smell of human waste upon leaving my cabin would be a solid deal-breaker for me. (*Inside* the cabin, strongly, for one poster!)

Of course I am not unfamiliar with the scent of my own species' waste; I am after all a human being, with the biology we all share. However, I am fairly certain that, as light as my expectations are, I would be well put off by such.

If it is not fixable while under sail, I would hope that they would pull the ship from service for a week to deal with it. This being obviously difficult (expensive) for them, I would expect severe discounts on all affected fares to compensate until the next drydock.

Pretending that the problem doesn't exist would strike me as unacceptable. One of the accomplishments of civilization in general is the fact that we no longer have to smell our poo and pee in daily life. On a "luxury" cruise, breaking that barrier is just too much for the money involved, period.

I'm afraid to post this, for fear of jinxing our cruise, but we

boarded the Voyager today. I'm currently in room 739,

about 6 cabins away from 751, and haven't noticed any

odor.

Perhaps the problem was fixed when the ship docked, but

there is currently no smell problem.

You can tell I'm still suffering from jet lag -- It's currently

3 AM here.

Les

Thanks for the report, Les. We're on Deck 7 for the 3/12/12 Singapore to Dubai cruise - so I hope you experience nothing but the fresh tang of air-conditioned ocean air while on-board!

I'd love to hear your impressions of the ports. We are gold-level and have enjoyed so many areas of the world with Regent and with other tours. But this will be a first in the Indian ocean.

Have a great time!

We are in 751 for an upcoming cruise. Now we are wondering

whether to request a change if it's possible. Does anyone know

whether the smell is a chronic ongoing problem or whether it's a short

term thing that should be fixed by the time of

our cruise (several weeks from now)? I hate to change because

most of the desirable cabins are taken but certainly don't want to be

subjected to that smell.

There was a temporary odor on the Voyager last week when sewage was being offloaded in Oman. Possibly the hook-up was faulty:confused: We were on the Voyager for three weeks -- on many decks (was on deck 5 when the odor was present). I do not believe there is a problem.

Enjoy your cruise.:)

Wes just sent me a post from another chat group board about odor on Mariner. I hope that Regent fixes this situation, asap, since we board in less than 14 days.

If anyone at Regent reads the CC threads, can you tell us what is being done? If we encounter the problem and have it for 72 days, we will forget about doing Regent again.

Dorothy

Just heard back from our travel agent in response to my inquiry about the smell in the vicinity of Voyager suite 751. Regent told her that someone had flushed something that didn't belong, causing the problem which now has been corrected. If anyone has another update or recent personal experience, I would appreciate it. Happy New Year!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived