Really?

greeneg

From RCCL Investors:

http://www.rclinvestor.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=103045&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=1639200&highlight=

This combined with the previous blurb about how RCCL is going to stress "The Sea", makes me think that the "new" emphasis is not going to be on itineraries, but rather on generating increased revenues by keeping people on board.

Surprised? Not at all. Besides, "Excite the Senses" is the meals on board after you come back from your excursion. This is just another "theme" cruise. The itinerary is still the same.

It is well known some other cruise lines with their "super" ships have full intention to keep you on board and make no bones about it. They want the ship to be the destination.

When we did our first cruise on and S Class ship ( it happened to the Equinox), I was surprised at the design and layout of the Cabin that we were in ( 6212). I thought that the cabin was much less well equipped and much less comfortable than our previous experiences on other Celebrity Ships. I drew the conclusion that part of the reasoning behind the design and purpose for the "changes" was to get people out of their cabins and into the body of the ship in order to generate more revenue. Although I was accused of being a little cynical at the time, I think that this idea proves my point, that it is and is going to be less and less about the cruising experience, and more and more, about finding ways to generate revenues above and beyond the usual cruise experience on the ship.

I rest my case.

When we did our first cruise on and S Class ship ( it happened to the Equinox), I was surprised at the design and layout of the Cabin that we were in ( 6212). I thought that the cabin was much less well equipped and much less comfortable than our previous experiences on other Celebrity Ships. I drew the conclusion that part of the reasoning behind the design and purpose for the "changes" was to get people out of their cabins and into the body of the ship in order to generate more revenue. Although I was accused of being a little cynical at the time, I think that this idea proves my point, that it is and is going to be less and less about the cruising experience, and more and more, about finding ways to generate revenues above and beyond the usual cruise experience on the ship.

I rest my case.

Equinox is a new ship so I don't understand what "changes" you are alluding to.

Theme cruises are part of every cruise lines repertoire, nothing new there.

I agree, you are being cynical. ;)

As I have stated in several other threads, IMHO, the Cabin layout and design of the S class ships is far inferior to the M class and that of Century as well. The thought occurred to me that perhaps this was done with the aim of getting people out of their cabins and into the ship by making the cabin less comfortable. My point here is that I think that this is purposely done and I don't like it. I don't think the point is cynical, I think that Celebrity continues to prove it.

Ed, in what way do you feel that the S class room is designed to get you out of the room? The shower is nicer than the older X ships, & the other differences that I noticed, such as no line in the shower for hanging swim suits, no balcony light, & poorer storage, doesn't make you want to leave the room. If anything, I think that the S class in general, is an inferior design to the M class, with the exception of the buffet area. Micheals Club is poorly laid out, comfortable place for pre dinner cocktails & dancing like the Rendezvous Lounge, & no night club aft like on M class. In addition, the grill area is located away from everything with a woefully small seating area.

You may be cynical, but remember, the whole purpose of them getting on the ship is for you to spend money & them to make money, Occupy Wall Street notwithstanding.

After reading so many threads about the shortfalls of the S class rooms I too fell into a dangerous frequent cruiser trap:

I found myself in a wonderfully elegant stateroom on board the spectacular Equinox thinking about things like how the nightstands had less storage than those on the M class rather than enjoying the room.

I had to laugh at my self and adjust my attitude and from then on I just enjoyed the wonderful ship and cabin.

Too often those of us lucky enough to cruise every year (more or less) find ourselves comparing different cruises/ships in much to critical a way. The bottom line is that I always find some things I like more and others I like less on every cruise in comparison to previous ones. But I've never had anything short of a wonderful cruise overall.

Ed, I have to disagree with you on a few points. Firstly about the cabins. I'd agree about the storage, but the bathroom is much better than other classes of Celebrity ships. More roomy with great storage and a very good shower stall. There is a greater percentage of balcony cabins on the S-Class and those balconies in my view are more accommodating than the M-Class, the standard ones being larger (deeper) with more comfortable furniture. There aren't those huge C1 and FV balconies though, so if you are used to those you do have to adjust your expectations accordingly. That doesn't equate to trying to get you out of your room.

I think it is all about giving a greater choice. I was on one of the culinary cruises this year on Solstice and it was hosted by Angel Palacios, a chef from the La Broche restaurant in Madrid. It was enjoyable to be able to cook with him and taste some of his food. I am glad I did it. The fact it was a culinary cruise wasn't shoved in your face though. Rather it was an option for those that wanted to take part.

I honestly agree with you that you are being a bit cynical in your view. It's a tough market out there and adding programs like this are worth a go. How successful it is remains to be seen, but I wish them luck with it.

Phil

Just off the Silhouette and the MDR food/variety was mediocre at best compared to years ago.

I think they should focus on improving their food in the dining room instead of creating cookbooks and food theme cruises. Those may have fit well during the previous dining room management (Mr. Roux), but not today.

After reading so many threads about the shortfalls of the S class rooms I too fell into a dangerous frequent cruiser trap:

I found myself in a wonderfully elegant stateroom on board the spectacular Equinox thinking about things like how the nightstands had less storage than those on the M class rather than enjoying the room.

I had to laugh at my self and adjust my attitude and from then on I just enjoyed the wonderful ship and cabin.

Too often those of us lucky enough to cruise every year (more or less) find ourselves comparing different cruises/ships in much to critical a way. The bottom line is that I always find some things I like more and others I like less on every cruise in comparison to previous ones. But I've never had anything short of a wonderful cruise overall.

All good points, Larry. As a frequent cruiser, it's sometimes hard not to make comparisons. It's not thst I dislike the S class; they are elegant ships. I just think that they dropped the ball in eliminating some of the best features of their older ships. The Rendezvous Lounge has been a mainstay of every Celebrity ship; with pre dinner music & dancing & post dinner entertainment. There is no place like that on the S class ships. On our solstice cruise, they used the lobby or atrium as a place for entertainment, & there are not enough seats to accommodate evryone, resulting in people standing on the stairs to observe. The aft lounge on their older ships is also missing from the S class, with nothing to take its place.

In addition, the grill area on M class provides ample seating to enjoy the food. On S class, you have to order your food & walk down a flight of stairs in order to sit & eat it because there are only 5 or 6 small tables close to the grill.

As far as "Excite the Senses" program, it may or may not prove to be successful, but I don't see it as a making much of a difference in the Celebrity experience.

As far as my problems with the S Class ships are concerned ( and I full acknowledge that these are my problems here is a listing:

1) I am living proof that you get shorter as you get older; hence the storage over the bed requires me to get on the bed to access it. Not only is this a stretch for me ( literally) but there actually is an element of danger in doing this on a moving ship.

2) There is no place to sit and read or relax in the stateroom. The couch ( 3rd berth) is not intended for sitting, it takes up a respectable percentage of the available cabin space, and combined with the reduction in in-cabin storage functions best as a place to pile things on. I do not like or enjoy a junked up room, despite a long career as a pack rat; piles on the couch are not acceptable to me.

Hence you are left with going out onto the balcony to read or sit quietly. Fine in the daytime, but there's no light if you want to read on a warm evening.

3) Removing the clothesline from the bathroom is silly. Unless of course, you are trying to increase laundry usage...

4) As for the vaunted improvement in the shower, yes, it is there. How much time do YOU spend in the shower on any given day......

5) The general noise of the Atrium ( and the specific clacking of the elevators) disturbs the quiet in the Library, so it is less than optimum to read in there. ( Guess you can't make any money from readers.)

I should make it clear that I am comparing the room amenities between the CC class staterooms on the M class ships to the similar rooms on the S class.

I would agree with those cruisers who have noted that the S class ships are upscale in decoration and by and large very attractively done. This does though, I think, reinforce the point that the intent is not for you to be in your cabin, rather for you to be "out and about." It brings to my mine the old quote from Willie Sutton who when he was asked why he robbed banks replied, " because that's where the money is".

It probably boils down to why do you cruise: I think that the Celebrity's ( and they are probably no different from any of the other major lines) aim is to make the ship the "destination". Hence the stateroom becomes a place to sleep, bathe, change clothes, etc. Otherwise, it's hit the shops and the bars.

From my perspective, however, I cruise because it's a very nice way to go to interesting places without having to repack and haul luggage every few days. I want food that is well prepared and served, not half a lobster tail swimming in a pool of glop with two shrimps and a pair of scallops for company. Hot food should be hot, cold food should be cold, and seasonings should enhance flavors and not dominate the dish.

We spent 26 days last year on the Equinox and we have learned that the S class ships are just not our cup of tea. We started cruising seriously in 2001 and have been with Celebrity almost exclusively since then; I am beginning to wonder if X "spoiled" us years ago and that we just haven't adjusted to the passage of time. But the bottom line is still that the S class ship just aren't for us.

Ed,

Vis-a-vis your food complaints, I would assume that you have not visited Blu.

By the way, we also love the M class, but we now prefer the S class for many of the very positive reasons which have already been posted.

Hi Jack, I didn't complain about the food; my comment about food and service was directed towards what I though that it should be, not what it was ( or for that matter, wasn't), just what my expectations are. But now that you mention it, I still don't think that you should have to book anything above a basic inside to meet those expectations. Celebrity's history and reputation are not about having to "upgrade" in order to have decent food, service, accommodations and an overall wonderful experience. Perhaps that's changing or has changed, but that doesn't make it either right or good for Celebrity's future.

Book an S1 suite - you get lots of room, a nice balcony and decent storage space

Sort of beggars the question, doesn't it. I'm sure the suits are very nice, but way beside the point.

Hi Ed. I appreciate your thoughts. It occurs to me that your feelings are running deeper than your first post gave hint to! I guess we aren't going to agree on the major stuff because I really do enjoy the S-Class experience. I first cruised on Celebrity in 2002 on Mercury. A smaller ship, there were areas I really liked and the food and service was more personal. However the mix of venues for me couldn't compete with what is offered now on Solstice, Equinox et al. Even the M-Class have a Specialty Restaurant (and increasing to three now if you include Bistro on Five). I do really like Constellation since she has been Solsticized (that might be a swear word for you;)).

I think the suite option raised by another poster was tongue in cheek because of the :D in the post, but your comment about the price is well taken. That is something I have noticed with the advent of the S-Class. The suites aren't cheap!

Finally, I was going to suggest you consider Azamara. I know they are looked upon as more expensive, but there are some good deals to be had on certain sailings if you search. I cruised with them for the first time in September, took another last month after booking onboard that one (for a really great price) and booked another for February to Asia (not such a great price, but hey!). Smaller ships with no attempt at selling extras to you they are closer maybe to Celebrity of old. I thought the food in the MDR was pretty fine too.

Get me on a ship and I'm pretty happy though.

Phil

Ed, we have had a few wonderful cruises on the Equinox in AQ. Our prior Celebrity cruises were on the M class in C-1, and the larger balcony cabins before CC. Our first Celebrity cruise was in a SS on the Century in February 1999. We have also cruised other lines, but we prefer Celebrity.

We have no problem in paying for what we receive; and we believe in a free market system. We do not approve of income, wealth, and property redistribution.

Hi Phil, thanks for the suggestion, they're certainly good ones. We've actually done three Azamara Cruises and like the ships and the total product very much. I don't like their pricing policies because when you work out the per diem cost it becomes apparent that their method of determining two for one pricing is to double the original price and then market it as a two-for-one which it clearly isn't. I know that some of the other Premium Lines do it also, but to me that's essentially a bait-and-switch and that offends me.

Correct me if I am wrong, but I still think that we need to somehow end up on the same cruise so that I can buy you that drink that I promised you a while back.

Best of the Holiday Season,

Ed

Hi Jack, I would agree with you on a fundamental basis. What I don't like are some of the Clever Tricks that some of the Smart Boys in Management think that they can pull. ( And they can and do pull them too as I am sure you know also.) What I want is a superior product at a fair price and I am a happy camper at that point. I fully subscribe to the " Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me" School of Philosophy so I don't knowingly like to play games as I mentioned to Phil above.

Ed

I'd like to represent a different perspective. If you go back a few decades, there were no balcony cabins, outside cabins had portholes, not big windows, and the ships had lots of areas in which to socialize. There were multiple pools with enough seating area - and many more areas inside and outside.

And people did not spend that much time in their cabins, preferring to sit and mingle. Tables in the dining room were for 6-8 people. I think we've lost something in this transition to newer ships with nicer cabins. While I certainly prefer the large beds to the single beds of those days - and the larger windows - and better stabilizers, I do miss the way people socialized and were always meeting new people.

We've enjoyed the time we have spent in the piano bar(s) on the recent sailings and have had opportunities to meet people there, as well as those we've met here on CC. However, concerns I expressed a few years ago have come to fruition when I read comments such as these complaining about being "forced" out of the cabin and into ship activities.

Just my two cents...

j

Archived