Royal Caribbean Secrets They Don't Tell You

Hank1468

Well I just returned and as per usual I tipped cash. My room attentend thanked me and gave me a huge hug. He explained when you pre pay your tips. Not only does that money get pooled and tipped out to assure everyone gets the same amount. Rccl also takes a portion for themselves as a fee. I gave him $50 for 4 days cash. He would have only received around $45 and change if I prepaid.

My understanding was that Royal takes the $1 per person per day from the room steward no matter how tips are paid. In other words, if you pay tips in cash, Royal takes the $1 from a future check. So it should come out the same.

No one, DP. They might instead use "dear" or "darn".

Nice comeback! :) I love it.

Even "dear" is a bit of a stretch. If no one under 100 uses "darling", the threshold for "dear husband" is probably 85.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/faq.php?faq=vb3_reading_posting#faq_acronyms

Says "darling or dear"

Even "dear" is a bit of a stretch. If no one under 100 uses "darling", the threshold for "dear husband" is probably 85.

Says "darling or dear"

My boss always used to call me darling and I use dear all the time. Neither she nor I are anywhere near our 70's let alone 80's!

My understanding was that Royal takes the $1 per person per day from the room steward no matter how tips are paid. In other words, if you pay tips in cash, Royal takes the $1 from a future check. So it should come out the same.

Well that's not what the room attendant told me.

Other reason that makes no sense at all what happens is I don't tip at all? They are taking money from them regardless? Rccl doesn't know I handed cash to anyone.

Other reason that makes no sense at all what happens is I don't tip at all? They are taking money from them regardless? Rccl doesn't know I handed cash to anyone.

What I've been told by room attendants and another officer is that there is a form the room attendant fills out after every cruise and lists the staterooms that did not tip. The attendant is then not charged for staterooms that did not tip.

Glad it wasn't just me. I was wondering what this DW,DS,DD was all about and came up with some possibilities on my own:

Dear Wife

Devoted Wife

Diligent Wife

Doting Wife

Dotty Wife

Dreadful Wife

Delerious Wife

Dramatic Wife

Despicable Wife

Dreamy Wife

And, yes, even Darling Wife.

Does this cost extra and how do you go about doing this?

Yes, it does cost extra, but isn't available on all ships yet. It should show in the dining options for your cruise.

It is very worthwhile if you enjoy a wonderful meal and wine paring. I believe the cost is around $95 per person. You can purchase (on certain ships only) a dining package which includes the Chef's Table and 4 other specialty restaurants for a little more than just the cost for the Chef's Table.

Glad it wasn't just me. I was wondering what this DW,DS,DD was all about and came up with some possibilities on my own:

Dear Wife

Devoted Wife

Diligent Wife

Doting Wife

Dotty Wife

Dreadful Wife

Delerious Wife

Dramatic Wife

Despicable Wife

Dreamy Wife

And, yes, even Darling Wife.

Drunk Wife??:confused:;)

Drunk Wife??:confused:;)

Well, yeah, but not very often. One memorable time was when I was researching the perfect margarita. She and her best friend offered to be test subjects. After about the third one she announced, "Holy poop! I'm drunk!", and promptly went to bed, at 3:00 in the afternoon. Margaritas were a big hit later on when we had guests though.

Always trying to watch our bread intake. But in the MDR they have these yummy Savory Bites. Small rolls which vary from day to day, about the size of a ping pong ball. So you can watch your calories while enjoying your dinner rolls. Well thats if you can only eat 1!!!!!

These are my downfall also. I always eat too many.

• 1 month later...

Says "darling or dear"

Am I the only one who sees "DH" and immediately goes to "Designated Hitter"? Then, seeing the context..... perhaps "Designated Husband"?

I don't even like baseball.

does anyone know for a fact, an absolute fact that rcl takes a $1 cut from their tips. why would they have the right to do that?

Irie, I've never heard that one before. If there's any truth to it, I certainly can understand why it qualifies as a "ROYAL CARIBBEAN SECRET THEY DON'T TELL YOU". What unmitigated gall of RCCL! Sure hope that's a bad rumor.

Irie, I've never heard that one before. If there's any truth to it, I certainly can understand why it qualifies as a "ROYAL CARIBBEAN SECRET THEY DON'T TELL YOU". What unmitigated gall of RCCL! Sure hope that's a bad rumor.

I have personally heard it from a room attendant I had. I always pay cash. They explained rccl takes a "portion" of their tips when you pre pair. I don't know anyone that works for rccl corporate that could answer from the other side

I have personally heard it from a room attendant I had. I always pay cash. They explained rccl takes a "portion" of their tips when you pre pair. I don't know anyone that works for rccl corporate that could answer from the other side

I had a server at a restaurant (here on land) tell me the other night, after our dinner, that she prefers tips in cash because they take a cut when you put it on your credit card.

I ignored it. She mentioned it again after she brought my card out. I said "I heard you the first time, but I don't have any cash AND I believe the 'cut' you are referring to is that they report your tips as earned income for your taxes."

"Yeah, that SUCKS so bad" she replied.

I left it alone. She is young and stupid and probably broke, but I wanted to slap her upside her head. Seriously, kid. Pay your taxes. You need to shut your pie hole before your next customer is the wrong person and you have to find a new job or worse.

I had a server at a restaurant (here on land) tell me the other night, after our dinner, that she prefers tips in cash because they take a cut when you put it on your credit card.

I ignored it. She mentioned it again after she brought my card out. I said "I heard you the first time, but I don't have any cash AND I believe the 'cut' you are referring to is that they report your tips as earned income for your taxes."

I left it alone. She is young and stupid and probably broke, but I wanted to slap her upside her head. Seriously, kid. Pay your taxes. You need to shut your pie hole before your next customer is the wrong person and you have to find a new job or worse.

Restaurants are required to report their employees' estimated tips to the IRS, regardless of whether they are in cash or on credit card. If the restaurant fails to do that, they are potentially subject to significant penalties. Your waitress was probably referring to the 2-3% fee that credit card companies charge vendors, which is likely deducted from the tips that she receives. I agree, however, that that is an inappropriate thing to say to a customer, especially multiple times.

OMG...I would have stood in line behind you, and slapped her again. What kind of do-do bird tells a patron HOW to tip them? :eek: