Most detailed Australia/New Zealnd cruise

bdruzin

My husband and I are looking to see as much of Australia and New Zealand as possible. We are willing do do a cruise that is anywhere between 24 and 35 days in length. Can anyone suggest the best itinerary and cruise line for us?

There are a few cruises that cruise around Australia and many that go to New Zealand. You could join two of those cruises together with maybe a few days in Sydney between them. I haven't looked at specific dates, but the New Zealand cruises are only in the summer.

Another suggestion is the Sea Princes, 18th October from Sydney on a 33 night cruise. They travel anti-clockwise around Australia and after leaving Melbourne they head across the Tasman to several ports in New Zealand. The timing of this cruise is quite good. It goes to northern Australia before the monsoon/cyclone season and it goes to NZ at the start of the summer season.:)

Check out Celebrity as they do have longer cruises that cover both - or you can do a B2B.

Just remember Australia is HUGE and New Zealand is MAGNIFICIANT (sure I am biased!! ;)) and you will only ever get a taste of both.

I agree with the suggestions that by driving they will see more of the country, but do they have three or four months available to travel. Not everyone wants to or feels comfortable taking long road trips. New Zealand isn't too large, but Australia is vast with long distances between attractions.

I agree with the suggestions that by driving they will see more of the country, but do they have three or four months available to travel. Not everyone wants to or feels comfortable taking long road trips. New Zealand isn't too large, but Australia is vast with long distances between attractions.

You're correct there Aus T. I've been put off long road trips for life after living for most of it in Nth West Qld and having day long drives, with not much to see, just to get the first glimpse of the SEA! Cruising is sooooooo much more relaxing. :)

Something else that could be factored in - contemplated it myself. Take the 3 day Indian Pacific Train from Sydney to Perth.

There are then some options on cruising back to the east coast and on to NZ

The train trip is as relaxing as a cruise and you do get to see some of the diversity of the Australian landscape

cheers

Something else that could be factored in - contemplated it myself. Take the 3 day Indian Pacific Train from Sydney to Perth.

There are then some options on cruising back to the east coast and on to NZ

The train trip is as relaxing as a cruise and you do get to see some of the diversity of the Australian landscape

cheers

Have to disagree about the train trip...I did Indian Pacific to Adelaide and Ghan to Darwin as one trip before getting on the Star Princess..while I did not hate the train..I certainly did not love it either...tiny little beds, tiny little ladders and miles and miles of well basically the same scenery. The train rocked and rolled and not in a good way..the food and service were great but it was nothing like as relaxing as a cruise and a damn sight more expensive.

Circumnavigating Australia and NZ is pretty representative of the diversity of the towns and cities. NZ is definately worth a road trip as is Australia but it you cant spare the time to do the thousands of kilometres involved..take a ship!

Have to disagree about the train trip...I did Indian Pacific to Adelaide and Ghan to Darwin as one trip before getting on the Star Princess..while I did not hate the train..I certainly did not love it either...tiny little beds, tiny little ladders and miles and miles of well basically the same scenery. The train rocked and rolled and not in a good way..the food and service were great but it was nothing like as relaxing as a cruise and a damn sight more expensive.

Circumnavigating Australia and NZ is pretty representative of the diversity of the towns and cities. NZ is definately worth a road trip as is Australia but it you cant spare the time to do the thousands of kilometres involved..take a ship!

I agree with you. :) The Indian Pacific rail trip (or the Ghan) are very expensive and you will see endless miles of virtually nothing.

The cruise I suggested (circumnavigate Aust & also NZ on Sea Princess) see some of the highlights of both countries. If time and finances permit, they could spend a few days in Sydney pre-cruise and also maybe fly to Uluru (Ayers Rock).

Check out both Princess and Holland America lines. They both have now forward several years excellent extended duration itineraries that take in full circumnavigations of both Australia and New Zealand. Round out the cruise with a few extra days in Sydney before cruise departure, and in Melbourne after your cruise. Most countries have direct International flights into and out of both Sydney and Melbourne . That way you will get a pretty good look at both countries from your travelling hotel .

We were very happy with Princess's 19-day "Ultimate Australia" cruisetour - basically a cruise of NZ and land tour (with air) of Aus. Saw all the famous sights in the shortest time possible (for work reasons). (Added on 3 extra days in Sydney to visit cousins.) Princess did a wonderful job of organizing and keeping us on schedule.

The cruise I suggested (circumnavigate Aust & also NZ on Sea Princess) see some of the highlights of both countries. If time and finances permit, they could spend a few days in Sydney pre-cruise and also maybe fly to Uluru (Ayers Rock).

I am glad to read that you recommend what we are going to do: Arrive in Sydney 2 days before Sea Princess leaves with us on Feb 20th for a cruise to NZ, use 11 days between this cruise and the Dawn Princess circumnavigation of Australia. Fly to Uluru, rent a car, round trip King's Canyon, Alice Springs, Uluru. Fly back to Sydney, sightsee on our own and board the Dawn Princess.

This trip costs us an arm and a leg. I am now trying to figure out how to avoid expensive ship's tours without sacrificing sight-seeing highlights.

I am glad to read that you recommend what we are going to do: Arrive in Sydney 2 days before Sea Princess leaves with us on Feb 20th for a cruise to NZ, use 11 days between this cruise and the Dawn Princess circumnavigation of Australia. Fly to Uluru, rent a car, round trip King's Canyon, Alice Springs, Uluru. Fly back to Sydney, sightsee on our own and board the Dawn Princess.

This trip costs us an arm and a leg. I am now trying to figure out how to avoid expensive ship's tours without sacrificing sight-seeing highlights.

This sounds a great trip. Some suggestions - When you are at Uluru, go to Kata Tjuta (formerly known as the Olgas). I suggest you do the Valley of the Winds walk if you have time. It takes a couple of hours. If you don't then just enjoy the view of the dome-like rocks. Uluru is really spectacular at sunset. Although Kata Tjuta is lovely at that time also, sunset at Uluru is better.

At Kings Canyon, if you can do the Rim Walk (3 hours). By the way, when driving from Alice Springs (or returning) don't take the Ernest Giles Road. Looking at a map this might seem a good idea, but it is 4WD only, and even if you hae a 4WD it would be faster to take the longer route that goes through Mt Ebenezer.

I don't know how much time you will have in Alice Springs. If you can, drive along the Western MacDonnell Range stopping at the various canyons and gorges. Standley Chasm is spectacular at about 12.15pm when the sun shines directly down, but if you want to 'do' the Western MacDonnells in one day you can't wait around to be at Standley Chasm at midday. It is probably better to go there earlier and just continue further west. It is possible to do all the sights on this road in one day if you don't do any long walks.

What ports does your cruise call at? There will be plenty of posts that will give you ideas on what to do on your own, but if you can't find them I suggest you let us know here and several people will undoubtedly give you ideas.

Archived