RCCL Refund Policy

cathylene

Has nothing to do with OP's situation.

It has EVERYTHING to do with the OP's situation. OP wrote:

"Right after my final payment was made, the cruise price dropped. I immediatle called my TA".

That is a CLASSIC example of when to take advantage of the Best Price Guarantee. I'm sure the TA was right on top of it, explained it to the OP, or even went the extra mile and took 2 minutes out of his/her day to go ahead and take care of it right then and there.

Right?

It always makes me laugh when I hear about people complaining about this.

Think about it. In which other case do you get a refund for a price dropping in travel? Any airline I've worked with certainly doesn't refund for a difference if the price drops. Hotels won't. No other cruise line does to my knowledge.

So why do people feel like they're entitled to a reduction/refund?

I always fly southwest airlines when possible and have gotten price reductions quite often. I always check hotel prices and get reductions up until the day of arrival. If you are pre-paying for your hotel, you won't get the reduction in most cases. Anyone who thinks you are stuck with the price of a hotel at the time of booking isn't very travel savvy. When I last cruise carnival, I booked the early saver fare and got around $600 back in on board credit which was fully refundable on board - in cash - which we took back over $300.

Gina

Huh? Regardless of how far out when you book the cruise with deposit, after FINAL payment you have 48 hours to catch a price drop and get 110% of the difference.

No, it's 48 hours after BOOKING. So basically the guarantee is only good for those who book after final payment and pay immediately - they have 48 hours to watch the price.

Forget about it being good on a next cruise booking made on board. The booking date is the date the open ended booking is made. Also, those next cruise bookings aren't good on "new bookings" only prices. I've tried that....nope, no OBC and balcony discount for those.

Gina

I will say the OP never said it went down within 48 hours after final payment, did they?

OP has had it booked since at least early November. Final payment was probably the end of November. Price drops occurred on Dec 6 - anyone who knows the tracking website can see this. "right after final payment" to me is Dec 6 - since that's not long after final payment was due. Maybe since it's a short 4 night cruise it wasn't due until early Dec...which would mean it WAS right after final payment....I haven't looked up the final payment deadlines for short cruises.

But the point is that it was booked about a month prior to final payment so that is why they will not make the reduction.

That being said, I am on the OP's side. I think the policy is insulting because they always do this right after final payment is due.

cathylene, I have no idea what category you have booked. But there is a whole lot of availability on that cruise. Prices may drop more. Keep your eyes open for a reduction in a category higher than you are booked. You very well may be able to upgrade at little to no cost. The same thing has happened to me and I was REALLY mad. :mad: But it all worked out in the end due to price drops. I had booked a D category and about a week later it dropped a LOT. A couple of weeks later the JS dropped below what I had paid so I moved up but was still paying more than others were paying for the JS. And then the upgrade fairy came along and I ended up in a GS. So don't panic or feel bad. Just keep watching. You may find in the end that you get a better value than you thought you would.

People may say you should be happy because you were willing to pay a certain price. I say to that...you thought you were getting the best price possible. When you see a major price reduction done the way RCI does it - right after final payment - it creates bad feelings. I know. Hopefully things will work out. Don't let your TA do the price watching for you. Watch the prices yourself and call the TA immediately if you see a better price for a better cabin. Hopefully your TA is available 7 days a week.

Gina

It has EVERYTHING to do with the OP's situation. OP wrote:

"Right after my final payment was made, the cruise price dropped. I immediatle called my TA".

That is a CLASSIC example of when to take advantage of the Best Price Guarantee. I'm sure the TA was right on top of it, explained it to the OP, or even went the extra mile and took 2 minutes out of his/her day to go ahead and take care of it right then and there.

Right?

Since it had been booked for a while... the only thing the TA could have done is to say, this category or that one now matches what you paid .. do you want to upgrade?? And gotten them upgraded if there was a significant price drop.

If the TA also doesnt know the policy regarding price drops, shame on the TA for not explaining it better.

• 3 weeks later...

cathylene, I have no idea what category you have booked. But there is a whole lot of availability on that cruise. Prices may drop more. Keep your eyes open for a reduction in a category higher than you are booked. You very well may be able to upgrade at little to no cost. The same thing has happened to me and I was REALLY mad. :mad: But it all worked out in the end due to price drops. I had booked a D category and about a week later it dropped a LOT. A couple of weeks later the JS dropped below what I had paid so I moved up but was still paying more than others were paying for the JS. And then the upgrade fairy came along and I ended up in a GS. So don't panic or feel bad. Just keep watching. You may find in the end that you get a better value than you thought you would.

People may say you should be happy because you were willing to pay a certain price. I say to that...you thought you were getting the best price possible. When you see a major price reduction done the way RCI does it - right after final payment - it creates bad feelings. I know. Hopefully things will work out. Don't let your TA do the price watching for you. Watch the prices yourself and call the TA immediately if you see a better price for a better cabin. Hopefully your TA is available 7 days a week.

Gina

Bumping this thread instead of starting a new one because I find myself in the same boat of just wanting to vent to other regular cruisers. I'm totally accepting of the price drop that happened after making my final payment, and I still plan on having a great cruise, but it is frustrating to have this happen for the first time. Like a lot of you, I am a price-watcher, and this is making me a little :eek:.

I really don't begrudge them needing to fill the ship, but am surprised that there were enough people who actually monitored their prices and took advantage of price drops that made this necessary.

It is what it is though. I'll deal. :p

Now to see if the JS drops as well. Then I'll have to decide if that's worth giving up my deck 10 D1 aft.

Bumping this thread instead of starting a new one because I find myself in the same boat of just wanting to vent to other regular cruisers. I'm totally accepting of the price drop that happened after making my final payment, and I still plan on having a great cruise, but it is frustrating to have this happen for the first time. Like a lot of you, I am a price-watcher, and this is making me a little :eek:.

I really don't begrudge them needing to fill the ship, but am surprised that there were enough people who actually monitored their prices and took advantage of price drops that made this necessary.

It is what it is though. I'll deal. :p

Now to see if the JS drops as well. Then I'll have to decide if that's worth giving up my deck 10 D1 aft.

I have had cruise prices drop after final a couple times now (frustrating) I have also had cruise prices rise and rise more after final payment (either making me happy if I booked early or unhappy if I waited to book hoping for a drop). I feel like I have been on all sides of the pricing issue now. anyway, I hope the JS price drops so you can make your choice.

Archived