RCCL Refund Policy

cathylene

I am currently scheduled on the Jewel of the Sea for January 26. Right after my final payment was made, the cruise price dropped. I immediatle called my TA expecting to hear of a refund for the price difference. She told me that RCCL had a new policy. No refunds would be given after final payment was made. She is also sailing on that cruise and is out $750 from the price change. She can not get a refund either.

This is RCCl's new policy. I am very disappointed. Just wanted to share.

I am currently scheduled on the Jewel of the Sea for January 26. Right after my final payment was made, the cruise price dropped. I immediatle called my TA expecting to hear of a refund for the price difference. She told me that RCCL had a new policy. No refunds would be given after final payment was made. She is also sailing on that cruise and is out $750 from the price change. She can not get a refund either.

So you are mad because you booked a cruise at a good deal, and when they change the price you cant get a better deal?

You can upgrade if a higher category is lower than what you paid. No refunds or OBC after final payment date.

Since you said the price drop was "immediately" after you made final payment, I am sure your TA informed you of Royal Caribbean's Best Price Guarantee, and told you how to get 110% of the difference in price applied to your reservation as onboard credit. In fact, I'm sure she just went ahead and took care of that for you.

Right?

OP, I sympathize. This has happened to me so many times I have lost count.

Unfortunately it seems to be the industry standard now. The only exception that works on a regular basis is the Early Saver rate with Carnival. It allows downward price adjustments up till 2 days before sailing; however it has so many other restrictions I personally do not like it.

Anyway, happy cruising!

too bad your travel agent didn't tell you about the policy when you booked...or at least before final payment. Or you might have checked the RCI website. he policy changed 17 months ago. Oh, well. Have the prices of higher level staterooms also dropped? If so, you MIGHT be able to get an upgrade at a low cost.

Did the prices also drop on higher categories? If so, you can upgrade to the higher category. This is often what I do when the prices drop after final payment.

Since you said the price drop was "immediately" after you made final payment, I am sure your TA informed you of Royal Caribbean's Best Price Guarantee, and told you how to get 110% of the difference in price applied to your reservation as onboard credit. In fact, I'm sure she just went ahead and took care of that for you.

Right?

The best price guarantee is only good if you catch a price drop within 48 hours of booking.

It's not a new policy, but as others have said, if by "immediately," you mean within 48 hours after you booked, then you should have gotten the price drop (unless it was a Tuesday, which usually doesn't qualify). Or you could have upgraded to a better category if the price had dropped to what you paid for your cabin. Sorry you lost out - it's been happening to a lot of us for about 18 months now.

No mainstream cruise line refunds after final payment. I was amazed that for several years, RCI did do so. Not new, as posted above, since May of 2010.

Sorry, but I believe nearly all cruise lines no longer give price drops after final payment. They need to fill ships, and if only a couple of months out they still have significant inventory, they have to drop the prices to get new bookings.

In the UK RCI/X/ACC still give refunds after final payment.....at the moment...

Right?

Only if they booked and had to pay final payment immediately.

Right?

Has nothing to do with OP's situation.

In the UK RCI/X/ACC still give refunds after final payment.....at the moment...

But don't you forfeit your deposit if you cancel the cruise? We still get ours back in full.

Has nothing to do with OP's situation.

Oops, you're right. Somehow I was thinking that the OP had purchased the cruise within final payment so paid the whole thing right away. So OP, sorry you didn't know the rules, but they've been in place for 18 months, and your TA certainly should have known. Try to enjoy your cruise, anyway.

But don't you forfeit your deposit if you cancel the cruise? We still get ours back in full.

Yes, that right, in the UK you forfeit your deposit if you cancel or if you cancel closer to sailing time it can be a lot more, and they charge us to move to another cruise, however, we can get price drop's refunded after final payment although some UK TA's are not happy about doing this which is why I prefer to book direct with RCI and it avoids any other issues.

If you were happy with the price of the cruise when you booked, you shouldn't have any issues now with feeling you weren't treated right. The policy has been in effect over a year. And other lines do the same thing.

Those people who booked when the price went down at final payment didn't get the choice of cabins you did when you first booked, either. SO there is good and bad when booking early.

It always makes me laugh when I hear about people complaining about this.

Think about it. In which other case do you get a refund for a price dropping in travel? Any airline I've worked with certainly doesn't refund for a difference if the price drops. Hotels won't. No other cruise line does to my knowledge.

So why do people feel like they're entitled to a reduction/refund?

It always makes me laugh when I hear about people complaining about this.

Think about it. In which other case do you get a refund for a price dropping in travel? Any airline I've worked with certainly doesn't refund for a difference if the price drops. Hotels won't. No other cruise line does to my knowledge.

So why do people feel like they're entitled to a reduction/refund?

Some airlines do indeed issue credits when the price drop. If you book a hotel at a certain rate and the price drops, they will adjust the rate.

Carnival's Early Saver program will adjust the price up to 2 days prior to sailing.

Archived