Liberty grand suite room problems

tommyj4

We just returned from the Liberty where we stayed in our first grand suite. When we got in the room we noticed 13 lights were not working, they were fixed that night. Then we saw the lounge chairs on the balcony that should have been thrown out, the paint was all chipped and the fabric was ripped from a bolt that was sticking thru the fabric. We asked our room steward to replace the chairs but he said nothing could be done. We asked everyone for help but only guest services would do anything. The second day they took the chairs to fix them and were returned the last day of the cruise. Then one night the room steward pulled the curtain closed separating the bedroom and pulled the curtain rod half down. We had to tell him about it the next day then maintaince came and screwed the rod back up to the ceiling, but then you could not open the curtain. Back to guest services to report this problem. Two days later the toilet would not flush, back to guest services. We have sailed with RCCL many times before and 4 other times on the Liberty. None of these items ruined our vacation but we thought these items should be fixed. What would you have done?

We just returned from the Liberty where we stayed in our first grand suite. When we got in the room we noticed 13 lights were not working, they were fixed that night. Then we saw the lounge chairs on the balcony that should have been thrown out, the paint was all chipped and the fabric was ripped from a bolt that was sticking thru the fabric. We asked our room steward to replace the chairs but he said nothing could be done. We asked everyone for help but only guest services would do anything. The second day they took the chairs to fix them and were returned the last day of the cruise. Then one night the room steward pulled the curtain closed separating the bedroom and pulled the curtain rod half down. We had to tell him about it the next day then maintaince came and screwed the rod back up to the ceiling, but then you could not open the curtain. Back to guest services to report this problem. Two days later the toilet would not flush, back to guest services. We have sailed with RCCL many times before and 4 other times on the Liberty. None of these items ruined our vacation but we thought these items should be fixed. What would you have done?

I recently returned from Liberty and also had an issue with my GS....there have been several issues posted here on CC in reference to liberty since her return....I think that Royal needs to take a good look at what is happening on this ship....maybe they need to make some personal changes.

When issues occur in my cabin, I never waste time going and standing in line at Guest Services rather place a phone call directly to maintanance and or housekeeping which ever applies. Matter taken care of promptly.

I've noticed a lot of maintenance issues with rooms on various ships lately.

We had 4 burnt out lights in our GS on Navigator this month. It was easy to call and have them replaced. I just wonder why no one ever seems to notice this stuff except for me. Oh, I guess a few of you do, too. Many of my drawers didn't work well - closet door issues, too.

On Adventure, my GS bathroom door hinge was barely hanging on. It was the top hinge so it could have been a problem had it fallen off all the way. Dirt kept falling out of my AC vent over the bed, too, whenever the ship would rock. That issue took me several calls to have someone sent to clean it. That stateroom attendant is the first I had who seemed very simple minded or in outer space somewhere. One of the exposed outlets had the cover and parts hanging loose on the floor with the cords just running through it. I fixed that myself.

There were a few other minor issues with these GSs. I've had a string of little room problems. I though it was the luck of the draw. But maybe it doesn't matter which room anyone gets anymore.

Gina

OP you asked what anyone would have done - I would have very nicely gone to the Conierge for him to take care of all these problems - that is what he is there for - you should not be waiting in lines with a GS. I would not have let this ruin my cruise - however, I would have been very terribly disappointed. Upon my return home, I would have written a very nice letter to Royal Caribbean corporate offices in Miami about all the problems and I would have been specific in asking what they could do for me to make this right. If you used a TA, have the TA write the letter. Then I would wait patiently for their reply.

When issues occur in my cabin, I never waste time going and standing in line at Guest Services rather place a phone call directly to maintanance and or housekeeping which ever applies. Matter taken care of promptly.

You are exactly right. We were on the Liberty recently and the mirrored cabinet door above the desk was literally hanging by a screw. One of us could have been a seriously cut if it had broken off. We called Maintenance and they were there within 10 minutes and repaired it. BUT, the bigger question here is why these kinds of issues are not being addressed proactively by RCI? I thought this ship went through a major update less than a year ago. Very disheartening, to say the least.

OP you asked what anyone would have done - I would have very nicely gone to the Conierge for him to take care of all these problems - that is what he is there for - you should not be waiting in lines with a GS. I would not have let this ruin my cruise - however, I would have been very terribly disappointed. Upon my return home, I would have written a very nice letter to Royal Caribbean corporate offices in Miami about all the problems and I would have been specific in asking what they could do for me to make this right. If you used a TA, have the TA write the letter. Then I would wait patiently for their reply.

I don't know that I would expect compensation for the things that went wrong for the OP, but I agree that asking the Concierge to help would have been the better way to go about it. He would have direct access to the cabin steward's boss if necessary.

You are exactly right. We were on the Liberty recently and the mirrored cabinet door above the desk was literally hanging by a screw. One of us could have been a seriously cut if it had broken off. We called Maintenance and they were there within 10 minutes and repaired it. BUT, the bigger question here is why these kinds of issues are not being addressed proactively by RCI? I thought this ship went through a major update less than a year ago. Very disheartening, to say the least.

I think that the major update was limited to Oasisizing and spiffing up the public areas and nothing was done to the cabins.

I don't know that I would expect compensation for the things that went wrong for the OP, but I agree that asking the Concierge to help would have been the better way to go about it. He would have direct access to the cabin steward's boss if necessary.

I am not one to ask for compensation, however, knowing what a GS costs and reading this post - it sounds like this suite had some major issues. I wouldn't be happy paying the GS cost and finding all this. Others have requested compensation for far less. I don't think I would request anything specific, just a what can you do to make this right?

Wow. Now I'm getting apprehensive about our February Liberty cruise. We're taking two first time cruisers who are a little leery about the whole experience to start with so I'm hoping we don't have any problems with our balcony rooms.

I am not one to ask for compensation, however, knowing what a GS costs and reading this post - it sounds like this suite had some major issues. I wouldn't be happy paying the GS cost and finding all this. Others have requested compensation for far less. I don't think I would request anything specific, just a what can you do to make this right?

You should get what you pay for. When you do not, compensation should be provided.

With all these problems on various ships and I can agree with problems with the Liberty. It makes me wonder do the room stewards walk around with their eyes shut. Surely it should be part of their duties to check the cabins as standard. If we see the loose mirror, broken things then surely they must!

Do you know the address of corporate offices or an email address? I did speak with both the diamond conceirge and the suite concierge but got more results when I talked to guest services. This did not ruin my cruise but people I have talked to said for what we paid for a GS the condition of the room was unexceptional.

Wow. Now I'm getting apprehensive about our February Liberty cruise. We're taking two first time cruisers who are a little leery about the whole experience to start with so I'm hoping we don't have any problems with our balcony rooms.

We were on the Liberty (balcony rooms) twice this past month. There were no problems with our staterooms. Problems with the grand suite doesn't mean problems on the whole ship. Relax and have a good time with your friends who are new to crusing.

With all these problems on various ships and I can agree with problems with the Liberty. It makes me wonder do the room stewards walk around with their eyes shut. Surely it should be part of their duties to check the cabins as standard. If we see the loose mirror, broken things then surely they must!

This is what I've wondered. They even check every drawer for items left behind, don't they? In this case they would know when drawers don't pull out or when closet door hinges are loose. I can see they might not notice one light bulb. But multiple bulbs?

I did have a broken glass soap dish. It was just sitting there and could have been switched out. It's probably considered a safety hazard with the rough edge.

Little things.

Gina

Do you know the address of corporate offices or an email address? I did speak with both the diamond conceirge and the suite concierge but got more results when I talked to guest services. This did not ruin my cruise but people I have talked to said for what we paid for a GS the condition of the room was unexceptional.

AGoldstein@rccl.com

This is what I've wondered. They even check every drawer for items left behind, don't they? In this case they would know when drawers don't pull out or when closet door hinges are loose. I can see they might not notice one light bulb. But multiple bulbs?

I did have a broken glass soap dish. It was just sitting there and could have been switched out. It's probably considered a safety hazard with the rough edge.

Little things.

Gina

Those little things shouldn't happen. It's strange but if a picture on the wall isn't level at home I notice it and straighten it up because it's not how it should be. The stewards know what each cabin should look like so why don't they contact maintenance. I thinks it's called pride. I bet they noticed the tip envelope!!!!!

Royal Caribbean

1050 Caribbean Way

Miami Florida 33132

Attn: Guest Relations

Will probably take 10-14 days for a response

I was on Liberty this spring , shortly after the ship arrived in Europe from the US, shortly after it came out of drydock. I was shocked to see , how run down and shabby the ship looked partly in some public spaces as well as corners , railing, and especially staterooms. GS did not have a lounger, which I think is unacceptable too, the balcony on both GS and RS (!!) looked like it hadn´t been taken care of properly for a long time. Tv´s not working, lightning issues etc etc etc.

This is no exception, unfortunately I noticed this on many RCL cruises. Room stewards don´t have the time and can´t be bothered, management does not care and does not look/inspect and/or listen either. Concierge does not really care either and besides, he is not in charge of public rooms and cabins, so he is excused in my opinion. It´s clearly hotel management that doesn´t do their jobs!

If you want to experience the opposite, try NCL. I have done 3 NCL cruises in the past 15 months, different ships and can´t praise their hotel management enough. Everything is in much much better shape on NCL ships and they struggle just as much as RCL with costcutting and everything. The difference is : NCL management obviously cares (and inspects), RCL management does not. Unfortunately. Hope they wake up soon!

RCI had better start paying attention to this type of issue. First of all, many of the posts about these sorts of issues are coming from long time cruisers and members of CC who have mutiple cruises under their belts. They are not unknow posters who just show up here to complain. If RCI starts getting a reputation for having poorly maintained ships, it is going to be very difficult for them to turn that around. Even if they suddenly start meticulously taking care of their ships the reputation will be hard to turn around. When I started cruising with RCI I never read this sort of stuff about the cruise line here at CC. And my experience aboard the ships was that they were very well maintained.

Pay attention RCI. It is your reputation that is on the line.

Archived