First time turkey cruiser with special needs and kids

Hi!

Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to read this! Hope I'm posting in the right place. :o

We have a unique travel party. It is myself who has cystic fibrosis-very active and healthy, but needs occasional medicine stops/and hubby and our 5 yo and then 1 yo, plus my active mother and my dad who has had 2 knee replacements and requires breaks from time to time also. For these reasons, we have decided to not do any group tours. This way we can maximize our time, plus not inconvenience others. :)

Ephesus/Kusadasi is the most important port to my parents. Istanbul is the most important to me and hubby. We really want to maximize our time at these places. We're willing to spend a bit extra $ towards these ports over the others on our tour if we must. Fortunately we have an overnight in Istanbul-but how much will that help us? We leave at 1pm so I'd imagine we'd have to be back on the ship quite early. How much could we really do that morning in istanbul?

How would you personally go about arranging these tours? For my peace of mind, I'd prefer to prearrange everything and not just wing it once we're there. Any suggestions?

I really appreciate any and ALL help offered!

I think you have the right idea in wanting to get something figured out in advance. Istanbul and Kusadasi/Ephesus are both very interesting ports. (I love Turkey, it's one of my favorite countries.) There are a number of private tour companies that can arrange to provide tours for you in both Istanbul and Ephesus and luckily such tours tend to be less expensive in Turkey than in some other countries (e.g., Italy, France, Greece).

Many ships now overnight in Istanbul but I agree that you rarely get much more time there than you would with a 10-12 hour long single day. It's important to know what days of the week you'll be there, as Topkapi Palace is closed on Tuesdays and Haghia Sophia is closed on Mondays (both are must-sees). It's pretty easy when you are self-sufficient to get around Istanbul using public transportation there, but in your situation it may be best to make it easy on everyone and arrange a tour. You can see at least a couple of things in the morning of the day you depart -- most ships won't require you to be back aboard until 30 minutes before getting underway, and the port is not far from the sights.

Ephesus -- best and easiest way is definitely a private tour. You can see the Ephesus ruins in a half day, with possibly one other stop. Like everywhere else, the ruins will involve some walking on uneven surfaces (not stroller friendly).

I see you've posted similar questions for other ports too. Overall, keep in mind that you need to pace yourselves. Consider half-day tours rather than full day in some places and try not to overdo it, tempting as it is.

As to recommendations, I've used Ekol twice for tours in Ephesus and have been very happy with them. They can also arrange tours in Istanbul. Just start reading these boards and you'll find other recommendations as well.

Yep, Cynthia always is right !

Turkey is also one of our favorites too (after Italy)

Istanbul is nice in that most of the main sites are very close together. The only place I can think of that really has any steps is the Basilica Cistern. But for those that can do them - it is a "not to be missed" in my opinion. Both times we have been there we have overnighted and it does add a good chunk of time. You should plan to be back on the ship by noon for a 1:00 departure. We did Topkapi palace and the Spice market on our morning of departure last trip.

We also used the tram but understand why you would want a driver instead.

Depending on the time of year you are going ( you didn't say) it could be very hot. In Istanbul there are many outdoor cafes and park areas with benches/chairs where you can rest and still take in the "flavor" of the area.

In Ephesus that could be a problem. Not a lot of shade and if the crowds are thick it is difficult to use an umbrella for shade. There are no benches but lots of rocks/pieces of antiquity to take a quick sit on ;) Take lots of water. Your driver can drop you off at the top and you walk through going downhill and pick you up at the end (after a small walk up a moderate hill)

We have used Ekol both trips and they are a wonderful highly professional company.

Hope this info helps.

In Ephesus, the normal touor is to be dropped at one end of the city and walk thru it (generally down hill) to the other end for pick up. As I recall it was a mile or so. As mentioned it is not a smoothe walkway. You are on ancient Roman streets. Be sure everyone can make the walk before setting out.

Go Private will help, we used EKOL and where happy.

No question there is walking and if summer can be hot. As much as the walking and heat was Istanbul and Ephesus where hits with the young and old.

As others noted walking is required, but my 80 old dad managed. My kids loved the many stray cats they saw and tried to friend. It was hard for us to tell them not to get too close or handle

Hi!

Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to read this! Hope I'm posting in the right place. :o

We have a unique travel party. It is myself who has cystic fibrosis-very active and healthy, but needs occasional medicine stops/and hubby and our 5 yo and then 1 yo, plus my active mother and my dad who has had 2 knee replacements and requires breaks from time to time also. For these reasons, we have decided to not do any group tours. This way we can maximize our time, plus not inconvenience others. :)

Ephesus/Kusadasi is the most important port to my parents. Istanbul is the most important to me and hubby. We really want to maximize our time at these places. We're willing to spend a bit extra $ towards these ports over the others on our tour if we must. Fortunately we have an overnight in Istanbul-but how much will that help us? We leave at 1pm so I'd imagine we'd have to be back on the ship quite early. How much could we really do that morning in istanbul?

How would you personally go about arranging these tours? For my peace of mind, I'd prefer to prearrange everything and not just wing it once we're there. Any suggestions?

I really appreciate any and ALL help offered!

433193032_0990_KusadasiWildcatsofEphesus.jpg.c0835411db3e8513abe7676ea83de87b.jpg

414291067_1220_IstanbulStrayCatStrut.jpg.4548149a057ebe8571bc12e89ec44da5.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

We would add our personal recommendation to "Chipmaster's" about using EKOL (just Google "EKOL and Turkey"). This is an excellent private tour company and you can arrange to have your own van/driver/guide which allows you to dictate your own pace. EKOL does work throughout Turkey so you could arrange to have them meet you at both Kusadasi and Istanbul. You would probably be wise to explain your situation at the time you book

Hank

Archived