Getting on and off ship-how crazy is it?

scarlett81

May Med cruise with Celeb's Equinox.

Just when I thought I had everything planned and set-we're rethinking things.

First time cruisers. Know nothing about how it will all work. Hubby is really turned off to the idea of insane long lines to get back on the ship after a long day...so much so he's considering the possibility of a smaller ship line.

I don't know what to say to him as far as this goes. I would imagine that Celeb has everything organized to a t, but I want to go into this with realistic expectations.

Will we be facing long lines to get off the ship in port? Getting back on the ship? Etc...What's it really like and how can you avoid standing in line for 11 days with 2 kids and a special needs adult???!

Have taken 20 cruises....5 on Celebrity..never ever waited even 10 minutes to get on or off a ship when docked at a port...usually just walk off and getting back on maybe a 5 minute line due to security screening which is usually quite quick, sort of pre like pre 09/11 at airports.

The key to getting off the ship at your ports of call is to delay your exit for just a few minutes. There is no reason to rush off. There will always be herds booked on ship excursions who will be traveling in great numbers, usually 40 or so at a time. Then there are those who will push and shove to be off first for whatever reason. By taking your time and holding up 15-20 minutes you will not encounter great crowds.

As far as returning to the ship, you must be back on board 30 minutes prior to sail away. Usually (30+ cruises) there is never much of a delay on checking back in. Security scanning will be the only hold up and it will be minor.

While you are sailing on a large ship the crew is very experienced in handling the passengers. They will make everything run as smoothly as possible.

I hope you tell your dear hubby there are many other things to worry about, this is not one of them.

Happy planning and have a wonderful cruise.

We have done a number of Medeterranean cruises over the years -- mostly on large ships, the smallest was the old Royal Princess around 45,000 tons.

For most ports there are not long lines to get on and off the ship. The cruises do have things organized. If you are on a tour, they will you meet at a specific time and place and then the group will leave the ship at the same time.

Folks returning to the ship, generally do so throughout the day, so there aren't long times, only exception may be when a number of tours returned at the same time or a group waits to the last 1/2 hour before the ship departs. But even these lines move along well.

In all the cruises I have done the Mediterranean, once there were very long lines on a tender port, Monte Carlo specifically, because seas were rough and so it took more time to get each tender back to the ship.

Have seen a similar situation in Cabo San Lucas Mexico and the Caribean because of weather changes.

You can generally avoid lines all together if you do independent tours and do not rush to be off the ship when you get to port and return ahead of time. That is what we do generally.

Hope this helps.

ogh iyogorup

Scarlett 81,

I did a Med cruise on the Equinox in Sept.

As everyone said in above posts, coming and going are not an issue.

The best part for me is returning after a long hot day in port, you will be greeted in the Equinox tent, with cold towels, cold water and juice, and a smiling attendant. As you enter the ship you have your sea pass scanned. The guy reading the passes always say, "Welcome back, patricia".

It those little things that I love about Celebrity.:)

Scarlett 81,

The best part for me is returning after a long hot day in port, you will be greeted in the Equinox tent, with cold towels, cold water and juice, and a smiling attendant. As you enter the ship you have your sea pass scanned. The guy reading the passes always say, "Welcome back, patricia".

It those little things that I love about Celebrity.:)

Ah yes. :-) Memories, memories. They would also say "sunglasses off please!!" lol :-) They like to see who they are welcoming back home.

It was a nice touch to have the cold towels when it was a hot day, for sure!

Scarlett 81,

The best part for me is returning after a long hot day in port, you will be greeted in the Equinox tent, with cold towels, cold water and juice, and a smiling attendant.

Love getting those towels. Such a nice, and appreciated, gesture.

getting on/off at the terminal zippidee do da zippade day. super fast.

getting on/off at port well uh hmm, yes depending on the port, ships in/out, fast. I blame the cruise lines for this as they combine 4 ships to one line for a security check to ship.

getting on the ship, yeah srtip your metals, shopping stuff , and on in a less than however fast it takes you to do it a sec to 10 secs, whole process under a minute.

getting back from a shore excursion, ship leaves at 6pm arguement sakes. 5pm you return , our tour ended at 5:50Pm the guide recieves call, at 5:30Pm, at 5:45Pm. and ship is held. at 6pm a walk from a long peir winds 40 plus mph, no problem rushing the ship is held.

so to see why worry bout something that you have control of your time,

Be smart wise up, and take a few extram minutes to be early. try it one day you'll see a different World.:rolleyes:

relaxe , enjoy and leave the worrys to others

Ports where you tender will have longer waits than those where the ship docks. Just plan for extra time in these situations and you shouldn't have a problem. Same goes for final embarkation day. Plan your post cruise arrangements so that you don't need to be off the ship until the herd is already off and you'll greatly reduce your DH's stress levels. We always try to be on the tail end of the group to avoid any lines.

The key to getting off the ship at your ports of call is to delay your exit for just a few minutes.

So true. There is no need to bum rush off. Also try to not wait until the last minute to get back on the ship. I usually get back on board about 1 or 1.5 hours before departure and I never run into any lines.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=54dx8dlr8jM

video truely speaks for itself.

I kid you not, that simple. I made a grand entrance going on my trip, and did not film, wished I could have caught it on tape. that is how Cruisen life is.

no crouds, no lines and most relaxing. 3000 people and where are they.

rate comment your choice

I kid you not, that simple. I made a grand entrance going on my trip, and did not film, wished I could have caught it on tape. that is how Cruisen life is.

rate comment your choice

Loved your video! Will be showing it to my hubby to help convince him. Driven through Ft. Lauderdale so many times post flight, saying to my daughter 'look at the big ships!'-Can't believe we're actually going to go on one!

Loved your video! Will be showing it to my hubby to help convince him. Driven through Ft. Lauderdale so many times post flight, saying to my daughter 'look at the big ships!'-Can't believe we're actually going to go on one!

thank you, glad you enjoyd it. too many critters onboard here LOL

rate comment your choice

LOVED your video, but wonder:What kind of mind dreams up such a theme? Hahaha

LOVED your video, but wonder:What kind of mind dreams up such a theme? Hahaha

ha ha ha

always editing. left my software home, and had to online trial, rushed the whole Job.

As I just go with the flow. building nerves up to do what I do thank you. Doing it solo is HARD, with a group its time consuming. rather miss the shot I just go with the flow

Archived