msZuiderdam Front Desk staff was HORRIBLE. Won't be booking HA again

jill_delaware

Back on the 4th of January, I sent a note about this thread and the issues it raised, to a person I know at HAL Corporate. I spoke with him last evening about another issue, but asked him about the email I forward and the answer is nothing yet! Again, I'll keep my eyes open for a reply.

I do find it interesting that the issue of toilets aboard the Zuiderdam has seemed to have dissapated in the last week or so.

Back on the 4th of January, I sent a note about this thread and the issues it raised, to a person I know at HAL Corporate. I spoke with him last evening about another issue, but asked him about the email I forward and the answer is nothing yet! Again, I'll keep my eyes open for a reply.

I do find it interesting that the issue of toilets aboard the Zuiderdam has seemed to have dissapated in the last week or so.

From one Chief to another Chief (thanks for your service) believe me we had a great time on our recent MS Zuiderdam cruise. Everything in our cabin worked as advertised and even though we had a couple of trivial problems it was another wonderful cruise. Enjoy your cruise... You have earned it.

REALLY interesting and I'm glad I asked. REALLY appreciate your response. Thank you.

You're certainly welcome - nice to know the "rest of the story".

Also, agree with the growing board consensus that "toilet" issues on the Z may have been solved. Great news for future Z cruisers.

Fair Winds & Following Seas, Russ

Container Ships going thru the canal have to be less than 110 feet wide and less than 40 feet draft. Modern ships that can fit width-wise can hold 68,000 tons of cargo but only carry 52,500 tons of cargo through the canal due to the shallow canal (40 foot draft). I noted the ship next to us (on the full transit excursion) had a stack of containers removed from the aft of the ship and a stack removed in the middle (midships) and forward. The ship was balanced but many of the easiest to remove containers were pulled off. Did you see that container ship then headed for the rail docks (After the final bridge leading to the Pacific). Basically, the ship pulled off 16,000 tons of containers in Colon in the Caribbean side (easiest to remove but from different locations to keep the ship balanced), shipped them by rail lines and re-loaded them in the Pacific docks. So the ship was fully loaded while at sea (efficient).

Yes I know, pretty geeky but neat to this engineer. The new locks and deeper dredging of the main canal will permit a 60+ foot draft ship in 2014 so problem solved.

That is really interesting...thanks for sharing!

I sent an email in early December 2011 (soon after we got back) and got an initial response . . . . Since then, there has been no response. . . .

However, since we're a bit concerned about HAL service, we decided last week to book another cruise on another cruise line for next year. While we did enjoy our trip to the Panama Canal & Aruba, we decided against booking future cruises with HAL until we hear back. . . .

Russ, good for you!

I've had a similar experience where a cruise line (not HAL) did not perform satisfactorily, and never responded to my inquiry. So, after 15 cruises with that cruise line, I canceled my next two cruises with them and never looked back. It's sad because all they had to do was acknowledge that they dropped the ball (I was overcharged) and offer a reasonable adjustment -- whether it be a refund to my credit card or a shipboard credit on a future cruise.

In this competitive cruising industry, I'm surprised cruise lines don't try harder at customer satisfaction and customer retention.

Woody

Russ, good for you!

I've had a similar experience where a cruise line (not HAL) did not perform satisfactorily, and never responded to my inquiry. So, after 15 cruises with that cruise line, I canceled my next two cruises with them and never looked back. It's sad because all they had to do was acknowledge that they dropped the ball (I was overcharged) and offer a reasonable adjustment -- whether it be a refund to my credit card or a shipboard credit on a future cruise.

In this competitive cruising industry, I'm surprised cruise lines don't try harder at customer satisfaction and customer retention.

Woody

I really feel that Russ' letter will be responded to. I sent one after my Prisendam cruise (but it was complimentary and to highlight certain staff).

I just got an answer from them today - very nice - so wait - and see - and please do report back:)

That is really interesting...thanks for sharing!

My pleasure. BTW, If you're planning on going to the Panama canal cruise with HAL (which included Aruba, Bonaire and CR), let me suggest getting the book or audiobook called "Pathway Between the Seas". It's a long one but really prepares you for what you'll see. If you have Netflix, you can stream or rent a DVD on a History Channel and/or PBS Panama Canal documentaries.

If you do, I hope you'll have the Zuiderdam Excursion speaker that we had. He did an outstanding job of preparing cruisers for CR, Canal and the Island history with several well-researched talks. Best talks I've ever heard for any ship or cruise line. Noted this as a positive (with his name) on my HAL feedback form.

Russ

My pleasure. BTW, If you're planning on going to the Panama canal cruise with HAL (which included Aruba, Bonaire and CR), let me suggest getting the book or audiobook called "Pathway Between the Seas". It's a long one but really prepares you for what you'll see. If you have Netflix, you can stream or rent a DVD on a History Channel and/or PBS Panama Canal documentaries.

If you do, I hope you'll have the Zuiderdam Excursion speaker that we had. He did an outstanding job of preparing cruisers for CR, Canal and the Island history with several well-researched talks. Best talks I've ever heard for any ship or cruise line. Noted this as a positive (with his name) on my HAL feedback form.

Russ

Thanks for the book tip...I'm going to get it for our Kindles so we can both read it at the same time.

Thanks for the book tip...I'm going to get it for our Kindles so we can both read it at the same time.

The first third of the book is tough to get through (French effort, politics, financing, disaster) but it picks up when the US takes over the canal effort (some politics but more engineering, logistics and medical solutions). Those solutions made the canal you'll see.

I just got home from a cruise on the Zuiderdam yesterday and wish to report that I had a very nice cruise. We had occasion to go to the front desk or call them a couple of times and had excellent service from them. First off the first day my roommate could't find her card. She called and the nice lady told her to come to the front desk and they would make her a new card. She put her at ease and told her that it happens all the time. Then we somehow messed up our safe and couldn't get into it. I called and somebody came to our room within just a few minutes and took care of our problem. Another time we went to the desk to report an employee that had very bloodshot eyes, probably "pink eye" and he was working at the buffet on Half Moon Cay. He was handing out plates and silverware to patrons and in between he would rub his eyes with his hand. (talk about spreading germs to people). I noted his name and thought he ought to be reported, so went to the front desk. Told them I didn't want to get the young man in trouble, but he should be treated for his eyes and he shouldn't be working where he could pass his "pink eyes" to others. The next day we received a nice note from the lady at the desk and a plate of candy. Also received a follow up phone call. There were other times we went to the front desk and received pleasant responses. One day I was looking for the news letter and couldn't find one. The lady said she'd print one for me. She came back with a fresh one hot off the press.

As far as the toilets were concerned. I found 3 public toilets that had an "out of order" sign on the door. This wasn't the whole rest room but just individual toilets. We visited quite a few on the different decks and most were in very good working order. Our toilet in our room worked well on the whole cruise until the very last evening. Twice it had a delayed flush, but only for a short interval.

The cruise was very good. Yes, I saw a couple of places where the carpet is starting to show some wear, but most is in great shape. There was a bit of rust at the base of the posts on our patio. No big deal. The boat is due to go in for dry dock in the Fall and I'm sure all the little cosmetic things will be fixed. Zuiderdam is really a beautiful ship and I wouldn't hesitate recommending cruising on the Zuiderdam. :o

;)Thanks for your positive review .....It was good to reaffirm the things that I already felt would be true, HAL tries its best to keep things the way we have come to expect from them, otherwise they wouldnt among the most popular cruiselines consistently... Many, if not most, of their cruises are sold out and we will soon be enjoying them too.....getting VERY anxioous !

I just got home from a cruise on the Zuiderdam yesterday and wish to report that I had a very nice cruise. We had occasion to go to the front desk or call them a couple of times and had excellent service from them. First off the first day my roommate could't find her card. She called and the nice lady told her to come to the front desk and they would make her a new card. She put her at ease and told her that it happens all the time. Then we somehow messed up our safe and couldn't get into it. I called and somebody came to our room within just a few minutes and took care of our problem. Another time we went to the desk to report an employee that had very bloodshot eyes, probably "pink eye" and he was working at the buffet on Half Moon Cay. He was handing out plates and silverware to patrons and in between he would rub his eyes with his hand. (talk about spreading germs to people). I noted his name and thought he ought to be reported, so went to the front desk. Told them I didn't want to get the young man in trouble, but he should be treated for his eyes and he shouldn't be working where he could pass his "pink eyes" to others. The next day we received a nice note from the lady at the desk and a plate of candy. Also received a follow up phone call. There were other times we went to the front desk and received pleasant responses. One day I was looking for the news letter and couldn't find one. The lady said she'd print one for me. She came back with a fresh one hot off the press.

As far as the toilets were concerned. I found 3 public toilets that had an "out of order" sign on the door. This wasn't the whole rest room but just individual toilets. We visited quite a few on the different decks and most were in very good working order. Our toilet in our room worked well on the whole cruise until the very last evening. Twice it had a delayed flush, but only for a short interval.

The cruise was very good. Yes, I saw a couple of places where the carpet is starting to show some wear, but most is in great shape. There was a bit of rust at the base of the posts on our patio. No big deal. The boat is due to go in for dry dock in the Fall and I'm sure all the little cosmetic things will be fixed. Zuiderdam is really a beautiful ship and I wouldn't hesitate recommending cruising on the Zuiderdam. :o

Thank you for your positive comments. May I ask what excursions you did that you would recommend?

Thank you for your positive comments. May I ask what excursions you did that you would recommend?

We did two excursions. At the Panama Canal we went on the ferry boat all the way through the Canal to the Pacific Ocean. Then we were bussed back to Colon to get back on our ship. The Ferry boat served free water and sodas. Beer was $2. They provided a lunch which I thought was pretty good considering the accomodations. We sat on the upper deck on the shady side. People sitting in the sun found it pretty hot. Think the down stairs had A/C. In Costa Rica we took the Aireal Tram in the Rain Forest. Bus trip was a couple of hours each way. They had good facilities there and a fresh lunch. Souvenir shop and rest rooms. Tram ride was 70 minutes plus a walking tour which was like 40 minutes (optional). We didn't tour Aruba or Curacao as we had been there last year. In Aruba we took the city bus to the beach. $2.30 for round trip ticket. In Curacao we just walked around the city and sat and watched the activities with the floating bridge and sipped a couple of cold beers.

We talked to others that took different tours and they found them interesting. Just depends on what your interests are. Anyhow this is what we chose to do.

We did two excursions. At the Panama Canal we went on the ferry boat all the way through the Canal to the Pacific Ocean. Then we were bussed back to Colon to get back on our ship. The Ferry boat served free water and sodas. Beer was $2. They provided a lunch which I thought was pretty good considering the accomodations. We sat on the upper deck on the shady side. People sitting in the sun found it pretty hot. Think the down stairs had A/C. beers.

We talked to others that took different tours and

We took the Ferryboat excursion, as well. Excellent excursion. On the Zuiderdam, you go through the locks from the Caribbean to Gatun Lake and have a "big ship" experience. The Ferry is much smaller (few hundred) and you get a very different experience on your way through the locks to the Pacific. You also get to see the newly constructed canal on the starboard side of the ferry (the new channel pathway for the new lock system which is visible just after the Pedro Miguel locks). Lastly, you see the worst sections that gave canal designers troubles like the Culebra Cut. Be up close to the front on the starboard side for the best viewing locations.

We're going in March and just have a few questions for those that did the Ferry. I've read some reviews where they found it a bit boring saying once you've been through one lock, etc. but you both seemed to really enjoy it!!!

How was the bus ride back since I read it is about 1 1/2 hours? How are the bathroom facilities on the Ferry? You also mentioned the lunch was good...what did they give to eat?

Thanks for any input and info!

Eileen

We're going in March and just have a few questions for those that did the Ferry. I've read some reviews where they found it a bit boring saying once you've been through one lock, etc. but you both seemed to really enjoy it!!!

How was the bus ride back since I read it is about 1 1/2 hours? How are the bathroom facilities on the Ferry? You also mentioned the lunch was good...what did they give to eat?

Eileen

I did not find the trip boring in the slightest. Bathroom facilities are no problem on the ferry and the lunch was adequate. One thing we did not take advantage of and should have, is the glassed-in air conditioned area where you can go for relief of the intense heat. I paid for my mistake with a major migraine the next day. This year when we do Panama I will be taking breaks from the heat.

I have one piece of advice for the bus ride back. Do NOT sit in the front where you can see what is going on. :eek: People all over the road, cars and trucks passing when they shouldn't, and the bus does not slow down for any of them. I told myself that if we arrived safely in Colon I would never get on a bus in a third world country again. The bus is followed by an empty back up bus in case the one you are on breaks down. That also inspired confidence. The bus ride aside, the trip through the canal was one of the great thrills of my life and it is well worth it. Go to sleep on the ride back or something and you won't know what you missed.:D:D

Eileen

You asked some great questions:

- Ferry ride would be interesting if you know what you're looking at. Recommend reading or watching a program on it's construction.

- Locks traversed via a big ship is different than a smaller Ferry (different perspective).

- Marine Bathrooms on the Ferry were okay. Wife said ladies room was clean.

- Lunch had meats, salads, fruit but was not memorable (okay). But for a third-world country, to get a meal that doesn't make you sick is fantastic.

- Bus ride was long but showed the dense jungle that the original canal builders had to contend with. Some interesting sites & buildings but only a few.

For me (an Engineer and amateur Historian), it was the best excursion on the cruise. BUT you have to know what you're looking at. PBS and History Channel has documentaries on the canal (rentable from NetFlix) plus the ship has an excellent presentation on the canal. Best to view both documentaries & ship's presentations on the canal to prepare.

I finally got a response to my January 9th email via HAL's facebook page, in which I asked why they are not responding to the negative postings on the HAL facebook page about the plumbing on the Zuiderdam. They now say they will contact their "technical supervisor" on the Zuiderdam to find out what is going on and if it has been rectified. Hmm. So, these reports started early last November, they are acknowledging them in late January - everything will be fixed by the time I cruise in April:D Maybe.

I finally got a response to my January 9th email via HAL's facebook page, in which I asked why they are not responding to the negative postings on the HAL facebook page about the plumbing on the Zuiderdam. They now say they will contact their "technical supervisor" on the Zuiderdam to find out what is going on and if it has been rectified. Hmm. So, these reports started early last November, they are acknowledging them in late January - everything will be fixed by the time I cruise in April:D Maybe.

Sometimes I think their attitude is ; "Oh , those dam passengers , they want to know everything ".

I cruise in March and will report back , hopefully a good report , would really like it to be a great report .

Glad to hear that you got a response from HAL. Unfortunately, I am still waiting for a response to my email that I sent in mid-December (for issues with a Nov 25th sailing). While I got a receipt acknowledgement for my email in late December (we'll look into it) but no HAL response since then on the issues themselves. I'll wait a few more weeks (until mid-February) and then move on. I had a good time on the cruise (canal & snorkeling were amazing) but I just wanted to raise some service issues (which you can read in the Zuiderdam cruise review if interested).

Archived