P&O getting very mean with Duty Free prices onboard ship

rkmw

we did the xmas cruise cruise onboard the Pacific Jewel to the South Pacific and p&o decided to raise the prices of their onboard duty free smokes for this cruise....the cheapest price was for B&H 200 for $64.99 and the dearest price got to $79.99 per carton.....we bought our supply in Vila from Kung Fei for $30 for Winfield carton of 250....the other duty free shops had similar prices...........even the smokes from the bars were $14 for a pack of 30

we bought a 2 litre of Jim Bean for $20 in Kung Fei and they had a 700 mil for $11, 1125 bottle for $16 but on the ship the price for 2 litres was $35

When we went on the Pearl (a few weks back), if you bought your duty free in the first couple of days you got the good deals (2 litres for $25 and cigarettes were around $35 a carton) and everything else was 10% off (there was a brochure in the cabin advertising it). After that, the 2 litres went up to $35 (not sure about the cigarettes) and the 10% off finished.

P&O duty free prices are better than Princess. :)

Aus Traveler i tend to disagree there...Princess cigarette prices are so much cheaper, onboard princess you get a pack of 40 for $10 compared to p&o pack of 30 for $14.....Vila is so much cheaper than the ships prices

Aus Traveler i tend to disagree there...Princess cigarette prices are so much cheaper, onboard princess you get a pack of 40 for $10 compared to p&o pack of 30 for $14.....Vila is so much cheaper than the ships prices

I didn't look at cigarette prices, but I know that alcohol prices on Princess are much higher than on P&O. Vila has always been cheaper than any ship I have been on. :):)

Last September we had good deals on alcohol on Pacific Dawn. There were two going - 2 x 2l for $25 and 2 x 2l for $35. I forget just what they were, but there was a limited range to choose from. Overall, Vila was much better. We weren't going to buy any this time, however a litre bottle of Bombay Sapphire was on special for just $16 at Fung Kuei - of course that was too good to resist.:)

Pacific Dawn's deals on NZ cruises have not been as good in our experience, but then we've not found good duty free prices in NZ, either.

i have noticed recently that p&o and princess dont seem to worry about dropping their duty free prices to compete with Vila's prices....they have a notice in the duty free shop that they will compete with the prices ashore but you need to provide proof....i suppose you could buy a couple cartons of smokes or some alcohol and show them the receipt and buy some more off them at Vila's prices

with the cruises to NZ they dont have to compete with anyone as i know of one duty free shop and its in Auckland but i dont know their prices

I went on the Pearl twice this year, the first cruise went to Noumea and not Vila, the 2nd cruise visited Vila. There was quite a big price difference on P&O's duty free between the 2 cruises. The one that visited Vila was a lot cheaper than Noumea cruise. The lady in the Pearl's duty free shop freely admitted that they had different price schedules depending on the ports you visit :rolleyes:.

And the WINNER is........ P&O UK -- with 1125 ml bottles of Gin/Whiskey/Rum/etc at 7.5 Pounds Sterling (approx $$11.50) .. AND - you can take it to your cabin for consumption!!!!!!!! :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Barry

Now that's a thought! Nah, too much stress.........I'd buy an apartment on The World! :rolleyes:

No ...you would not like that either. Its far too quiet ,and just think of all the hassle trying to get all the residents to decide on the next destination.:D

No ...you would not like that either. Its far too quiet ,and just think of all the hassle trying to get all the residents to decide on the next destination.:D

Oh nooooooooooo, I didn't think of that. Well, I'll just have to buy the whole kit and caboodle and make all the hard decisions :mad:;)........but I'd be a benevolent dictator and let them put in their requests. :D

Any suggestions for duty free grog on a NZ cruise? Are there any shops in any of the NZ ports. Wasn't intending on buying onboard

Di

I looks like you are going on the Pacific Dawn. I think the best option is to buy on board at the start of the cruise when there is an extra discount available.

If you were going on a Princess ship I would suggest you buy at Dan Murphys and leave the drinks at home. :D

I looks like you are going on the Pacific Dawn. I think the best option is to buy on board at the start of the cruise when there is an extra discount available.

If you were going on a Princess ship I would suggest you buy at Dan Murphys and leave the drinks at home. :D

Funny! But true, I guess. Luckily, we don't need any this time.

we did the xmas cruise cruise onboard the Pacific Jewel to the South Pacific and p&o decided to raise the prices of their onboard duty free smokes for this cruise....the cheapest price was for B&H 200 for $64.99 and the dearest price got to $79.99 per carton.....we bought our supply in Vila from Kung Fei for $30 for Winfield carton of 250....the other duty free shops had similar prices...........even the smokes from the bars were $14 for a pack of 30

we bought a 2 litre of Jim Bean for $20 in Kung Fei and they had a 700 mil for $11, 1125 bottle for $16 but on the ship the price for 2 litres was $35

Do what I do!

I buy my duty free smokes before sail day and take them aboard,there is no regulation or rule on taking aboard and keeping duty free cigarettes like there is alcohol. You buy them before you sail from a duty free shop in Australia and they are given to you by the shops customs agent at port. (dont buy with Alcohol as they go in the same sealed bag )

In Perth there is still 2 duty free shops in town that let you take them with you as soon as you pay (like the old days) Over East I dont think they have shop stocks but if you buy they will deliver.

P&O are just being greedy by keeping an amount of profit on onboard smokes sales that would usually include over 60% govnt tax shore side so in essence P&O are robbing the tax payer as well.

Some will say "P&O need to make a profit" But their cigarette prices for which they pay no duty or tax on are now daylight robbery.

When the majority start buying ashore before they sail P&O will come up with some fairytale "Responsible Smoking Rule" to hide their blatant consumer robbery and take them off you as with alcohol

Den

Hi,

We're new to cruising going on our first one in July 2012 - did you get your smokes there and then in Kung Fei or are they delivered to the ship for you to get on the last night?

I'm a smoker, hubby's not and I was planning to take what I think I'll need for the cruise in our luggage, just chucked in - I smoke Horizon so often it's not available overseas - might have to change my brand to save a buck!!!!:)

Cheers

Frognut

Hi,

We're new to cruising going on our first one in July 2012 - did you get your smokes there and then in Kung Fei or are they delivered to the ship for you to get on the last night?

I'm a smoker, hubby's not and I was planning to take what I think I'll need for the cruise in our luggage, just chucked in - I smoke Horizon so often it's not available overseas - might have to change my brand to save a buck!!!!:)

Cheers

Frognut

just take enough smokes to get you onboard and it depends what ship you are on....p&o smokes onboard are $14 for a pack of 30 and on princess its $10 for a pack of 40.....they dont have Horizon on the ship or duty free so you'll have to buy something else

in Port Vila at Kung Fie we paid $30 per carton of Winfield 250 and we could take them back to the ship and smoke them.......a little tip if you buy your supplies else where make sure they seperate the smokes from the alcohol as the alcohol is delivered to the ship and you wont see that until the last day

On Rhapsody just gone, I bought 2 bottles of 1.125L Jim Beam for $32 at Fung Kuei. It was $37 for 2 bottles of 1L on the ship.

Rhapsody doesn't have the delivery service so you have to cart it around and bring it back yourself and hand it in at the booze check-in desk after you get on the ship. Interestingly enough, this desk was to the left......the stairs were to the right. I went to the right, up the stairs and had the Bourbon with me in the cabin for the rest of the cruise. Pity I don't drink LOL So there's a tip if your sailing soon on Rhapsody. :p

They have crap cigarettes on Rhapsody. I brought mine at Vila. Heaps cheap!!!

Archived