Pacific Coastal aft cabin on Zuiderdam?

canadianbear

Thinking of doing the 4 night Pacific Coastal aboard the Zuiderdam from San Diego to Vancouver in May. We've tried a deluxe verandah suite, a superior verandah suite and now thinking of trying an aft (possibly deck 5 regular balcony). I'm wondering if there will be a lot more "movement" if the seas are rough or would it be "fun"! Touch wood, but I haven't gotten sick from rough seas yet but have always been mid ship.

Another reason I want to try this 4 night cruise is because of all the complaints about the ship lately-especially the washrooms. We have booked a 22 day Panama Canal cruise for 2013 on the Zuiderdam and thought maybe we'd get a feel for this ship and then make a decision on whether to cancel the 2013 and book something else.

We had an aft cabin on Celebrity Millenium cruising from Hawaii to Vancouver and it was awesome. Didnt feel any extra movement, and will always try and get an aft cabin from now on. In fact we are on the Oosterdam cruise Vancouver to Hawaii and back in April, and we booked an aft cabin. It's a great view, and the balconies tend to be much larger.

Thinking of doing the 4 night Pacific Coastal aboard the Zuiderdam from San Diego to Vancouver in May. We've tried a deluxe verandah suite, a superior verandah suite and now thinking of trying an aft (possibly deck 5 regular balcony). I'm wondering if there will be a lot more "movement" if the seas are rough or would it be "fun"! Touch wood, but I haven't gotten sick from rough seas yet but have always been mid ship.

Another reason I want to try this 4 night cruise is because of all the complaints about the ship lately-especially the washrooms. We have booked a 22 day Panama Canal cruise for 2013 on the Zuiderdam and thought maybe we'd get a feel for this ship and then make a decision on whether to cancel the 2013 and book something else.

I am on the same costal, so I was wondering how you are able to select your cabin on this cruise? I was only able to get a "guarantee".

DaveOKC

Thanks Barrick-I have read people either love them or hate them. I would hate to be on a long cruise and hate it!

DaveOKC: have you done this Pacific Coastal before or is this your first? You are right-it's only guarantees available but I thought I might ask our TA to put in a request for an aft-whichever deck instead of a request for midship. I was dreaming....a girl can dream can't she!

Thanks Barrick-I have read people either love them or hate them. I would hate to be on a long cruise and hate it!

DaveOKC: have you done this Pacific Coastal before or is this your first? You are right-it's only guarantees available but I thought I might ask our TA to put in a request for an aft-whichever deck instead of a request for midship. I was dreaming....a girl can dream can't she!

It is possible.... I'm on the ship for the whole 22 days, and some who have the aft cabins booked are leaving in San Diego. So you just never know! A few people doing the coastal have joined our roll call... come on over.

I have been on two coastals from San Diego to Vancouver. The frist one we somehow were able to pick our cabin (it was about 5-6 years ago). The second (2 years ago) we could only get guarantees (but ended up with a great location for our S). That second one was a 6 day and I sure wish they had that option again!

DaveOKC

We have started getting aft corner cabins and have learned that is a big mistake....because now thats all we want....also have found that we would prefer to be on the 5th deck aft corners as the decks and suites are larger than the others but the others sure arent anything to complain about. :rolleyes: We are doing a Panama Canal cruise again soon and cant wait to enjoy .... We havent noticed any more motion or noises in the aft than other areas...

I'm booked on the same coastal cruise, and have an SC guarantee. I know the conventional wisdom here at Cruise Critic is to select a mid-ship cabin, but I've loved every aft cabin I've had, regardless of ship or cruise line.

Roz

Thanks for the opinions everyone....we have in fact canceled our 4 day cruise at this point but if it turns out we can go it would be last minute and would join the roll call for sure. Thanks again and maybe see you on the ship if things work out for us.

Curious how you think you may get one of those corner aft cabins on the Zuiderdam:confused: Every single cabin category for the 4 day repo is Guarantee, I know because I am already booked on this and also doing the 7 day Alaska as a B2B. A few weeks ago if you placed in that you needed a triple cabin for a SC then there were three different cabins showing available but as of today they are all gone and if you state there are three people it states there are no cabins available.

But back to your original questions we were on deck 8 SB Corner aft for the Hawaii cruise on the Oosterdam and we thought it was great with very little movement. I have sailed in the corner afts more times than I can count and have never felt that there was any more movement.

Curious how you think you may get one of those corner aft cabins on the Zuiderdam:confused: Every single cabin category for the 4 day repo is Guarantee, I know because I am already booked on this and also doing the 7 day Alaska as a B2B. A few weeks ago if you placed in that you needed a triple cabin for a SC then there were three different cabins showing available but as of today they are all gone and if you state there are three people it states there are no cabins available.

But back to your original questions we were on deck 8 SB Corner aft for the Hawaii cruise on the Oosterdam and we thought it was great with very little movement. I have sailed in the corner afts more times than I can count and have never felt that there was any more movement.

It wasn't a corner one it was a VA guarantee and was hoping just to have the TA put in that we'd like to try an aft if possible-it's like any other request-they can ignore it or some times the magic fairy happens. Doesn't hurt to ask but we have had to cancel now anyway.:(

I was asking opinions because we are booked for the 22 night Panama in 2013 and was trying to decide between the VA aft (currently we have an SY booked) and had hoped just to try out a VA aft if possible for the 4 nighter. I am happy with the cabin we have chosen for 2013 but am really interested in trying an aft on a short cruise first. Will try it another time I'm sure.

I just wanted to add my 2 cents worth on this type of cruise. I've done a few of them and they all have been very rough so it wouldn't matter what type of cabin you were in. One time we had 30 foot waves. If you do decide to take this cruise go into it knowing that you could possibly have a rough go. I'm sure others will tell you it can be smooth as glass. This has not been my experience.

Lorekauf: Thanks for your honesty-I have heard that before and I guess it's hit or miss with the weather-I don't mind a bit of rough seas (have had 25' but nothing more thank heavens). We shall see what happens closer to the cruise if we can go and if there is still space available.

25 feet is bad enough:eek:. I just like to mention it in case some don't know. The 2nd from the last last time I did it was the 30 foot waves. There were newbies on that cruise. I felt so bad for them because I'm pretty sure that was their first and last cruise. Thankfully, in my 26 cruises that's as bad as it's been.

25 feet is bad enough:eek:. I just like to mention it in case some don't know. The 2nd from the last last time I did it was the 30 foot waves. There were newbies on that cruise. I felt so bad for them because I'm pretty sure that was their first and last cruise. Thankfully, in my 26 cruises that's as bad as it's been.

It was like that in September. Usually it's really calm then - we always do Alaska at the end of the season, but this year was a real adventure, LOL.:eek: You just can't tell what it's going to be like. I'm on all the way from FLL to Vancouver, and I already know, thanks to this year's Alaska cruise, that we can handle rough seas. We've never had it bad between Vancouver and LA or San Diego before...... but that's not to say it won't be:(.

• 1 month later...

We are back and can go on this 4 day cruise-just found out today and went ahead and booked it-signed up on the roll call too! Yahoo...I can hardly wait.

I just wanted a chance to check out the Zuiderdam before our 2013 cruise. Doesn't even matter to me if the seas are calm or rough-bring it on!

Enjoy your cruise! Please come back and share your thoughts on the Zuiderdam. DH and I are booked on her trans-Panama repo going the other direction in October, and I'd love to hear what your experience was like.

We are back and can go on this 4 day cruise-just found out today and went ahead and booked it-signed up on the roll call too! Yahoo...I can hardly wait.

I just wanted a chance to check out the Zuiderdam before our 2013 cruise. Doesn't even matter to me if the seas are calm or rough-bring it on!

YES!!!!!!!!! Awesome to read this my friend!!!!!!! You need it and will truly enjoy it:)

Joanie

O2B@C: I will certainly come back and let you know how we liked it. I'm pleased that we got our VA aft that I wanted to try. Figured I could survive a 4 day cruise to try an aft just in case I hate it :rolleyes:

Joanie: You are so right-we need just a little break in more ways than one :o

O2B@C: I will certainly come back and let you know how we liked it. I'm pleased that we got our VA aft that I wanted to try. Figured I could survive a 4 day cruise to try an aft just in case I hate it :rolleyes:

Joanie: You are so right-we need just a little break in more ways than one :o

You got an aft? Well done - I thought they were sold out and here was I waiting and hoping for an upsell:(- been booked for the past 14 months for the full 22-days cruise! Hope to see you onboard at the 2nd M&G.

All categories are saying "call for price and availability" so I guess that means its not sold out after all.

You got an aft? Well done - I thought they were sold out and here was I waiting and hoping for an upsell:(- been booked for the past 14 months for the full 22-days cruise! Hope to see you onboard at the 2nd M&G.

All categories are saying "call for price and availability" so I guess that means its not sold out after all.

On the website it showed a couple of VA afts available (not a deluxe aft!!) ...at least it did last time I checked-guess some people weren't continuing to Vancouver so they finally opened up the cabins for sale for the 4 day trip.

I will be going to the M&G-never been to one before and it sure sounds like there are a lot of you that are staying on board the whole time....Can I hunt you down and pick your brain?!!

On the website it showed a couple of VA afts available (not a deluxe aft!!) ...at least it did last time I checked-guess some people weren't continuing to Vancouver so they finally opened up the cabins for sale for the 4 day trip.

I will be going to the M&G-never been to one before and it sure sounds like there are a lot of you that are staying on board the whole time....Can I hunt you down and pick your brain?!!

email on it's way to you.:)

Question are you requesting a Triple cabin?

My sister and I were in an aft cabin on the Crown Princess from Quebec to Ft. Lauderdale and then to the Caribbean - 21 days. We liked it enough that we have aft cabins on our upcoming Vancouver - Hawaii return cruise in April on the Oosterdam.

The only difference that we noted that was because of the configuration of the cabin, your bed rocks from head-to-toe rather than side-to side as in a port or starboard cabin. We were bucking gale force winds almost as far as NYC so there was some extra motion, but it wasn't much of an issue.

I understand the seas can be rough across the Pacific for the first few days so we'll see. I had the same cabin for an overnighter with my grandson last year and because the balcony was so deep, we were able to enjoy being outside without getting wet.

Archived