Princess Cay-Through the Fence????

teacherman

As you leave the tenders, there is a small first aid station. Behind it, there is a gated fence that leads to several "stores". We started to go over there, but were told we had to have our passports, which were on the ship. Have any of you done this? We will return there in March, and may want to "take a look".

I have been through the fence many times this past year to take my long (2-5 miles) walk along the local roads and I have never needed, nor been asked for, my passport. No islands in the Caribbean require passports to reboard the ship, or to enter into the ships secure areas, that I know of, just a picture ID, such as a drivers' licence, and your sea pass card. Maybe this was just a suggestion on his/her part and not a requirement.

When did this change? We were there last week and walked back there and in the past only needed the cruise card. We didn't look at the info in the patter saying you needed a photo ID, and didn't take one with us. I wonder why they are now requiring a photo ID to go back there....

Mike

My guess is that once you go thru the gate/fence, you have left the private Princess Cays area of the island ... so re-entry to the Cays area would be much like re-entering the pier area of any other ports on the itinerary. And, generally, a photo ID is required in those other ports. The passport requirement does seem odd, tho.

We've done it 3 times in the past 3 weeks. Definitely photo ID (not passport) is required to be shown. Two days ago, I had to show it to get OUT, because the guard wanted no issues on my return. Then, when I came back 4 1/2 hours later, he just waved me in, saying, "I know you, I know you".

If you have ever OD'ed on beach days, and like a good hike (more than just a walk, because the "roads" are in deplorable conditions), it's just over 3 miles to the last beach on the Caribbean side of the southernmost tip of Eleuthera, and another half a mile or so to the beach on the Atlantic side. There are gorgeous caves carved out over eons on the Atlantic side, the remains of a lighthouse on a cliff, and long stretches of beaches on both coasts. When we were there 12 days ago, we saw NO ONE, no cars, nothing for 4 1/2 hours. It's a nice change from the ship.

We've done it 3 times in the past 3 weeks. Definitely photo ID (not passport) is required to be shown. Two days ago, I had to show it to get OUT, because the guard wanted no issues on my return. Then, when I came back 4 1/2 hours later, he just waved me in, saying, "I know you, I know you".

If you have ever OD'ed on beach days, and like a good hike (more than just a walk, because the "roads" are in deplorable conditions), it's just over 3 miles to the last beach on the Caribbean side of the southernmost tip of Eleuthera, and another half a mile or so to the beach on the Atlantic side. There are gorgeous caves carved out over eons on the Atlantic side, the remains of a lighthouse on a cliff, and long stretches of beaches on both coasts. When we were there 12 days ago, we saw NO ONE, no cars, nothing for 4 1/2 hours. It's a nice change from the ship.

Do you turn right or left from the gate as you exit? I'm looking for a 5-6 mile run next month when we are on the Emerald and figure Princess Cays is about the only port I would feel comfortable doing that. Hopefully I will be with some ships staff since my step daughter is an entertainer on board.

Do you turn right or left from the gate as you exit? I'm looking for a 5-6 mile run next month when we are on the Emerald and figure Princess Cays is about the only port I would feel comfortable doing that. Hopefully I will be with some ships staff since my step daughter is an entertainer on board.

Go straight down the road that is the entrance to Princess Cays to the well. Turn right, then take the next "road" that turns left. It's about a 10-15 minute walk further to where that dead ends into a "road". Turn right. Take this about a 30 minute walk to the Caribbean beach. Then continue further, over a small hill, to the Atlantic beach.

Except for the road into Princess Cays and the first road on which you turn right, these are 4 wheel drive roads at best, trails at worst. You can run it, but you'll have to place your steps carefully.

Have fun!

I have also read on here that if you take a right down the beach, you can follow it around the corner where there are two graves. It is a bit of a walk and you will need something on your feet for protection.

I was yhinkinh of doimg this in April with family; but the road trip also looks good. A few questions; do you come out on a clif, or are the beaches and caves accessible? Do you have any pictures? Would you have time to do this and then get something to eat at the b-b-q?

Thanks.

No time to eat at the BBQ. Spending just a little time exploring the caves and lighthouse makes it easily a 4- 4 1/2 hour endeavor. We take one of the first tenders over, and plan to start our return by 1:30pm when last tender is at 3:15. This give us 20-30 minutes leeway. A tumble or sandal failure could mean a missed ship. There is no Bahamas Tel service from the southernmost point.

Both beaches are accessible. Caves are accessible. You can reach the lighthouse from either beach; it's more of a cliff-climb from the Atlantic side.

There is a VERY cool small beach between two cliffs that you can get to by scaling some minor cliffs. Watch the tide here...you could get caught scurrying up a rock to avoid the water.

This hike has injected a lot of enthusiasm on DH's part for Princess Cays. He needs to keep moving; a day on a lounger holds little thrill for him.

No time to eat at the BBQ. Spending just a little time exploring the caves and lighthouse makes it easily a 4- 4 1/2 hour endeavor. We take one of the first tenders over, and plan to start our return by 1:30pm when last tender is at 3:15. This give us 20-30 minutes leeway. A tumble or sandal failure could mean a missed ship. There is no Bahamas Tel service from the southernmost point.

Both beaches are accessible. Caves are accessible. You can reach the lighthouse from either beach; it's more of a cliff-climb from the Atlantic side.

There is a VERY cool small beach between two cliffs that you can get to by scaling some minor cliffs. Watch the tide here...you could get caught scurrying up a rock to avoid the water.

This hike has injected a lot of enthusiasm on DH's part for Princess Cays. He needs to keep moving; a day on a lounger holds little thrill for him.

Thanks for all of the information. Sounds like it could be an envigorating day!

Sounds like a great adventure! Did you feel safe in the isolated areas?

Archived