Great newbie complaint - overheard on the Sky

Sally Forth

As we were sailing away from the private island on day 4 of our 5 day cruise, I heard a guy complaining really loudly from the deck above us. We had an aft cabin on Deck 10 of the Sky, and it was quite private, but this guy was loud and hanging over the railing.

He said that he was sick and m**f*** tired of the same food over and over and he had so looked forward to this cruise and why couldn't they make better food. He was from New York and knew good food and this was just cafeteria food and he was sick of eating off trays.

The guy standing next to him said, "I know some people don't like to pay extra to eat, but have you tried both of the main dining rooms?"

"Whatchootalkingabout?"

"Well you have to pay to eat at Le Bistro or Cagney's or Il Adagio, but the two main dining rooms are free."

"What dining rooms? I only saw this one." [buffet on deck 11]

Turns out the guy only saw the buffet open on the first day and never bothered to see what else was available. He had eaten three meals a day at the buffet.

Viv

:eek:

That's a first....

dang.

This reminds me of my dad on his first cruise, he was 78. We went to the buffet for our embarkation meal. All of us were seated and eating except dad. I went looking for him and found him wandering around looking for the cashier. He didn't want to eat until he had paid! Trust me, dad, you have already paid;)

He loved the idea of a "free" all you can eat buffet so much it was all we could do to get him to try a different restaurant each day. :)

I love the concept of a first time cruiser orientation. But if they can't find more than one restaurant in four days, how are they going to find orientation on the first? :eek:

If they cannot find a restaurant, how could they be expected to find anything else? Like, say,....hmmmmm, something a lot of people cannot find with both hands..........

Hey I know these people!

They stand by the elevator landings staring hard at the sign that has a dot with text "YOU ARE HERE" and they look around and shout "HOW DO THEY KNOW I AM HERE!?" :D

Cheers,

Norman

LOL:D

Why don't people read the "dallies":confused: Gee-there is a list of restaurants:rolleyes:

It never ceases to amaze me how lazy people can be. I sup pose he never read any of the literature sent him by the cruise line or read the dailies or had any sense of curiosity about the ship. It seems that it would be pretty hard to miss the fact that there are free dining venues other than the buffet! :

I guess he was really glad he hadn't booked a twelve day, huh?

LOL! I can just imagine how sick he'd be of the buffet on a long cruise. I for one could eat breakfast at the buffet every day. In real life, I never eat sausages or corned beef hash. On a cruise, every breakfast is the same - a small roll with cream cheese and lox, two sausages, and corned beef hash - and I never get tired of it.

Viv

"Latitudes members get letters ?"

what's that all about ?

I thought we all get the SAME fricken sales pitch mail!

please elaborate on this Latitudes stuff ! as some of us are from other cruise lines and are used to how it's done over there (over there over there)

thanks

It's truly both an individual problem and one the cruise line seriously needs to address if only for the simple reason that these people will go home and tell everyone they know how horrible their cruise was...

Not exactly the best ambassador for NCL...

Maybe they should offer a contest on the first day that is kinda like a scavenger hunt.... Find all the free restaurants and get a prize!

I won on Princess a free bottle of wine doing there 1st cruise hunt!

Also:

I agree with Tea Baggers - put towel in bin Too - gives the rest of us a chance to sit down

I'm tired of those towels reserving the deck chairs - VERY BAD PRACTICE

regards

Princess cruise line actually does that on 1st day of cruise. You win prizes, etc

Really? If they did it on the Sapphire Princess in 2007, I totally missed it.

They should have some sort of contest for people to see if they are aware of the various contests.

On one of our RCI cruises, there was a very ticked off man next to us at the service desk. He was flipping out on the poor customer service employee. He was mad that his family of 4 had been assigned the wrong room. How could the 4 of them possibly sleep in a room with only 1 queen bed. He would not shut up long enough for the lady to explain that the couch became a bed and that another bed came down from the ceiling. I would guess that this was his first cruise too...of course judging from his behavior, everyone might be better off if it was his last cruise too.

Jess

I actually sympathize with the guy. Sometimes what experienced cruisers take granted are not obvious to newbies unless taught. Especially when a cruise is booked last minute, newbies may not even have time to realize they need to do research, never mind doing the research.

I booked my very first cruise at last minute (the day before) and had no time to do research. Nobody I knew had ever cruised. No idea the existence of CC. I didn't even know MDR was free and I almost left a tip there on the table until I realized nobody else did. The MDR was closed during the day when I had time to explore the ship. I did figure out some venues were free and some were not but I didn't know which one was which and I always had to ask. I missed all but the very last show because I didn't know there were shows.

After I got home, I began to do research and found CC. And all is history.

I think a well advertised first time orientation is a good idea.

Archived