Great newbie complaint - overheard on the Sky

Sally Forth

As we were sailing away from the private island on day 4 of our 5 day cruise, I heard a guy complaining really loudly from the deck above us. We had an aft cabin on Deck 10 of the Sky, and it was quite private, but this guy was loud and hanging over the railing.

He said that he was sick and m**f*** tired of the same food over and over and he had so looked forward to this cruise and why couldn't they make better food. He was from New York and knew good food and this was just cafeteria food and he was sick of eating off trays.

The guy standing next to him said, "I know some people don't like to pay extra to eat, but have you tried both of the main dining rooms?"

"Whatchootalkingabout?"

"Well you have to pay to eat at Le Bistro or Cagney's or Il Adagio, but the two main dining rooms are free."

"What dining rooms? I only saw this one." [buffet on deck 11]

Turns out the guy only saw the buffet open on the first day and never bothered to see what else was available. He had eaten three meals a day at the buffet.

Viv

LOL

It is only natural for some to experience this. My first cruise was the Jewel and I ate at the buffet upon embarkation. I was impressed but then was so happy to see other restaurants. Some dont read about the ships online or a member of cruise critic.

As hard as it is to believe, some just book a cruise and just walk on board without knowing what to expect. Me and like lots of others here, we have our meals planned 6 months before boarding LOL ;)

It never ceases to amaze me how lazy people can be. I sup pose he never read any of the literature sent him by the cruise line or read the dailies or had any sense of curiosity about the ship. It seems that it would be pretty hard to miss the fact that there are free dining venues other than the buffet! :

I guess he was really glad he hadn't booked a twelve day, huh?

Funny! Poor guy! He should have spent some time wandering around.

That's the first thing I do! We get on the ship as soon as possible and explore until our rooms are ready. It's a cruising tradition! :)

Talk about dumb as a post - we also spend the first few hours exploring the ship. Even on our first ever cruise we knew about the MDRs - in fact we ate at them every night. We were in a suite and had breakfast in the room, lunch at either the buffet or in port. When we took our teenaged kids we tended to eat more in the buffet simply because they enjoyed it more. This is why we like Freestyle - it is all about choice.

Last month on my Panama Canal cruise (on a different cruise line) I met an older lady who had cruised on the Epic earlier this year.

"It was the worst cruise of my life," she told me. "They only have the one restaurant and it was always crowded. Plus you always had to get in line with a plate and get your own food. I don't think it's right having just the one restaurant for so many people."

Well, I've never been on the Epic, but I have read a few trip reviews on this board, so I was pretty sure that there was more than one restaurant on board. I could tell, however, that she knew beyond a reasonable doubt that there was only one restaurant on the ship and was unwilling to consider an alternate view of reality. (After all, she had just eatern 7-days worth of meals in that restaurant.) So I asked her how she liked the entertainment.

"Horrible!" she said, "They just showed the same 2 or 3 old movies day after day!"

Last month on my Panama Canal cruise (on a different cruise line) I met an older lady who had cruised on the Epic earlier this year.

"It was the worst cruise of my life," she told me. "They only have the one restaurant and it was always crowded. Plus you always had to get in line with a plate and get your own food. I don't think it's right having just the one restaurant for so many people."

Well, I've never been on the Epic, but I have read a few trip reviews on this board, so I was pretty sure that there was more than one restaurant on board. I could tell, however, that she knew beyond a reasonable doubt that there was only one restaurant on the ship and was unwilling to consider an alternate view of reality. (After all, she had just eatern 7-days worth of meals in that restaurant.) So I asked her how she liked the entertainment.

"Horrible!" she said, "They just showed the same 2 or 3 old movies day after day!"

Ha Ha Ha :confused: they walk among us! :eek:

You know what would be great? A newbie party on the ship, make sure there is a letter in the cabin like the one Latitudes members get. They could push it during the muster drill, encourage folks to go to a quick get together, if interested.

I love to overhear a newbie asking another newbie a question so I can pipe up! And I do, you can believe it!

It's amazing how often I run into them again, great way to make nodding buddies on a ship. :D

Even with assigned seating on a Royal Caribbean cruise, I had a cousin tell me (when I inquired if she enjoyed her meals) that they only ate in the buffet for the entire seven days because they assumed that the MDR's were extra charge (because they looked so beautiful and intimidating).

I think this may happen more often than we suspect. A newbie get-together after muster would be a good idea.

Archived