Oasis LIVE (one month later!) Review

I see you were in a junior suite? How was it? I'll be in one on Oasis, deck 7 on the hump

Hey Bugsie- we were actually in D1 ...so the cabin is exactly the same size as all the other Ds, but we had a larger balcony. (80 sq ft vs 50 sq ft) I know the Jr Suites are larger in the cabin, plus bigger closet and a tub, as well as the bigger balcony. So your cabin will be larger than pictured here;) Hope you will enjoy that! Looks like your first Royal cruise...great way to start! Have fun!

Hey Bugsie- we were actually in D1 ...so the cabin is exactly the same size as all the other Ds, but we had a larger balcony. (80 sq ft vs 50 sq ft) I know the Jr Suites are larger in the cabin, plus bigger closet and a tub, as well as the bigger balcony. So your cabin will be larger than pictured here;) Hope you will enjoy that! Looks like your first Royal cruise...great way to start! Have fun!

Yeah I figured what better way to experience RCCL by being on the world's largest cruise ship :D

thanks for the review, I always enjoy a new point of view.

Can't wait for my trip!

Think you will love it! Just avoid Atlantis;)...you've hooked me...I gotta check that one out!

Thanks so much for the review and the spreadsheet. Will definitely be using that for our first cruise on the Oasis next year.

I found it helpful, although as you can see from the photo, it didn't really stay the way it started, ;) but I never missed a show and when we left I felt like I got to do everything I wanted to, and didn't leave feeling like- oh, I missed that. (well, there were still things I didn't get to do, but at least I actively chose that!)

Have fun!

Think you will love it! Just avoid Atlantis;)...you've hooked me...I gotta check that one out!

I found it helpful, although as you can see from the photo, it didn't really stay the way it started, ;) but I never missed a show and when we left I felt like I got to do everything I wanted to, and didn't leave feeling like- oh, I missed that. (well, there were still things I didn't get to do, but at least I actively chose that!)

Have fun!

karens1971 at hotmail.com

• 4 months later...
Thanks!! Can you tell its my first? Finally figured out how to get the photos lined up;)

We did enjoy that big balcony, but probably not as much as on another ship or itinerary where you might have more scenic views. We are taking a regular ocean view next time because we are taking the kids and they have Boardwalk Balc booked. Im fiduring we will have less time to linger romantically on our big balcony, and we will probably use both balconies so all 4 of us can enjoy whatever is going on i.e. sailaway or runners on our OVB and the action in the Aquatheater from their BB. Im sure I'll miss it!

Yes, It was hard for me to picture in my head what they would look like...you can tell the two that are suites 'cause they have the fancy furniture! The public one has the plain old loungers!:p It think its nice that such prime real estate is public when you look at the dough those suites pull in! :eek: We spent more time than I expected on them, even with our own balcony.

Thanks everyone for your encouragement! I have a busy afternoon, but will defiantely get back to it around 3 ish or 4.

I can see this was a lot of work.. But you can see a year later it's still helping others including me, whom will sail mid March, so thank you for great tips, photos, and ideas.

Deb P.

We briefly considered a going to the gym for a workout and rejected it on the basis that the Flowrider might be considered hard work. And we decided that with all there is to do on the ship, we could work out when we got home! Time for a nap, and to get cleaned up for formal night and an early dinner. Our MTD reservation was at 6:00 PM to accommodate our 8:30 Come Fly With Me show. The dinner was excellent tonight, our favorite...lobster night! Though the guys went with turf instead to surf! Everything was excellent.

After the dinner we went to the Opal Theater and waited in the line for a few minutes before they opened the doors. We selected mezzanine seats for this show, which is my recommendation, based on how much of the show happens in the airspace above your seats! This was the most crowded show we saw, and when they let in the standby folks they were definitely having to search a bit for a seat. Again, this was the earliest and first one of the week, so that may explain its popularity, but also it is reviewed by everyone as "don't miss". In addition to the superb singers and dancer, the acrobats and some special aerial artists are involved in this show. As a preview to the show, Amy shows her "A Day in the Life of A Cruise Director" video, which I found hysterical! It definitely belongs here near the end of the cruise, so folks are in on all of the jokes having lived aboard most of the week! I think Amy excels at this sort of self deprecating humor, rather than the witty wise cracking you get from other Cruise Directors, and that may be what people are responding to when they criticize, but that's just speculation! In keeping with my strategy of not spoiling the show, I'm only posting one photo.

(photo of Come Fly With Me)

140781119.jpg

After the show we had enough time to stroll through Central Park to take some group photos. DC and I wanted to do this because during our stay in Nassau they brought aboard poinsettias and added them to the foliage in the park. It looked so Christmassy and the night atmosphere is just beautiful here. Will you indulge me a few personal photos? I think they do show what a lovely setting this is for your photos, so it does have some purpose!

(photos in Central Park)

140781117.jpg

140588180.jpg

(photo of the bar in Central park at night)

140588120.jpg

Love love love your dress .. just lovely!!

Thanks! It's from Victoria Secret, of all things, and I think they still make them! Super comfortable knit jersey, easy to wear and easy to pack and I like how it has a little "breathing" room for going to dinner.;)

Edited by Familygoboston

FamilyGoBoston: I have a question. We never got a balcony but got D5. Any input? Thanks.

Iris mike, I'm confused...a D5 is a balcony cabin...maybe your first time having one:confused:

All the D cabins are exactly the same size. The cabin we had, a D1 has a slightly larger balcony (80 sq ft) . All the other Ds2-8 have the same size balcony( 53 sq feet), the D # only indicates the price differences between what deck its on (higher decks command prices) and how many people the cabin can accommodate (for instance a D7 and D8 will be right next to each other, but the D7 will accommodate more than 2 and probably cost a tick more than the D8 even if you only have 2 people using it)

So sounds like you have a D balcony cabin likely on deck 7,8 or 9...which is a great location vertically, easy to walk up or down to get anywhere. You will have two upright chairs and a higher table good for having breakfast ( unlike other Royal ships, which have a low table)

Some say a balcony is not needed on this ship, as it is so busy, but I loved having a balcony on this ship because there are so many bustle-y places (I won't say crowded, cause thats not it, so much as busy and music going on) so it's nice to have a retreat that's all your own where you can see and here the ocean ( it's calling you know!;)

Enjoy...hope you have a great cruise!

Thanks so much for your quick reply. We usually stay in a promenade room and like that but the balcony rooms were on sale when we booked. We were on the allure and loved it so decided to go on the Oasis. Any tips you have would be greatly appreciated. I have to go back and read your reviews.

We are doing the Explorer of the Seas in March. Will have to get used to this ship after being on the Allure.

Take care. Iris

Just letting you know how great your review was. I'm looking forward to our cruise in December. BTW, we just got back from IOA Harry Potter 1/19-1/22. Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks, KD! This review actually got bumped somehow, but we cruised Dec 2011- so we did WWHP LAST February. It happens to me all the time.:o (I did a review under this same screen name on the sister site)

Wasn't it great!:D We just loved the theming and since my girls had read the books and we'd all watched the movies, we had such fun with it. My dad who had not done either was completely lost;)

This year, we are going to WDW to see the new doings in the New Fantasyland and have dinner at the Beasts Castle. Should be fun!

Thanks so much for your quick reply. We usually stay in a promenade room and like that but the balcony rooms were on sale when we booked. We were on the allure and loved it so decided to go on the Oasis. Any tips you have would be greatly appreciated. I have to go back and read your reviews.

We are doing the Explorer of the Seas in March. Will have to get used to this ship after being on the Allure.

Take care. Iris

You are welcome! I have lots of planning tips in my review, especially around scheduling shows and meals- but you've probably mastered all of that having been on Allure! I guess as far as enjoying the balcony- it's nice to pick a few mornings to have breakfast on the balcony (port day) and we enjoyed ordering room service and having a little nosh before dinner while watching the sail away out there. If things got to frenzied elsewhere, we'd just sit out on a sea day and enjoy!

Allure is up next for us, we booked on our NC we bought while on Oasis. We decided we had to take the "kids" ( young adults really!)

I think you will have a great time on Explorer, I really like that class of ship- the Royal Promenade is there, not as big, but still a fun feature I think. Also, I like how "manageable" the crowd is, I feel like you run into people here and again, and that can be fun! On Oasis, I had to make dates to find the people in my own sailing party or miss them entirely!!:eek:

Hope you enjoy both your cruises!

what is CC sister boad. I would love to read your entire review. I love the Allure and Oasis but we have to fly to Florida. Decided to do the Explorer so we can drive to Bayonne and save on the airfare and hotel and they are doing a 10 day cruise. Allure only does 7. Take care. Have a great weekend and THANKS AGAIN.

what is CC sister boad. I would love to read your entire review. I love the Allure and Oasis but we have to fly to Florida. Decided to do the Explorer so we can drive to Bayonne and save on the airfare and hotel and they are doing a 10 day cruise. Allure only does 7. Take care. Have a great weekend and THANKS AGAIN.

It's not a review of Explorer! It's the Wizarding World of HP, and it's on another huge review site where you can review your Trips, that sounds like Travel Agent abbreviated, don't know if we can mention it; maybe it sells cruises? Anyway, I reviewed the attraction, and the hotel where we stayed on site. It's not as much fun to review there, you really can't add as many photos! I reviewed my Galapagos trip there, but the folks searching on that site all came here for the photos;) I keep the same screen name in all the places I review, so it's all pretty searchable on google!

I keep thinking Id like to take a cruise out of Baltimore or NY, but I never actually do it! I'd like to take my MIL back to Bermuda.

What a great review of Oasis, even though it's from over a year ago, it still has been so helpful for planning for this May! I would really appreciate a copy of your spreadsheet, to lmnm77ATgmailDOTcom if you can still do that. Thanks so much!

OMG thanks for the awesome day by day. It was also great reading it all at once since it was originally posted some time ago. My little cut and paste word document is now a lot larger! :)

This will be my first cruise with my teenager and 26 others. Heading on the Oasis on March 9th.

I thought I was excited before but after reading 17 pages of tips, reviews, feedbacks, and insights.... I just want to leave now!! Especially since we just spend a week in the -42'C.

Thank you so much for all of your time and effort!!!

Chase, Iris and Terre- DH is doing our financial "cut over" to the new fiscal year this weekend. What this means for you is that he is a big computer hog and i wont be able to send the spreadsheet out till Monday:p. I will shoot out the empty Xcel spread sheet to you. If you don't have a version of MS Xcel on your computer, you may not be able to open it and customize it. If that's the case you could try trip it or one of the other mobile apps available today. I invented my spreadsheets years ago, before apps, and cell phones and all that other new fangled stuff;) Or you can just use the picture of mine to crib the " categories" into whatever worksheet you do have. Anyway, promise to send it along Monday!

Misdragonette- thank you for your kind comments...I like to think a good review should have "some legs"...I know the ones I've read with helpful tips last a good long time after one has sailed...I'm glad this one is still helpful!:D The cut and paste doc, is so helpful! I keep them for every cruise now and I never have to go back and think, " now, whose review was that? Where did I see that tour operator name? What deck was that secret balcony on?" It's all on the doc!

Enjoy your cruise! It is such a fun ship...hope you will love it...but wow! What a gang...hopefully you don't need to herd all those folks;) Stay warm!

Edited by Familygoboston