Oasis LIVE (one month later!) Review

HI Kathy!!

Thank you so much for this review! I've been checking in every day you post, we leave for the Eastern Oasis cruise this Saturday and its been a delight tuning into a fellow Bostonian's review! Did you guys make your MTD reservation on the ship or online before you left??

Thank you!!:)

Kat

Hey Kat...have a great trip! Funny how people have "regional" sensibilities, so we relate to folks who live near us!

We did make our MTD ahead because we like that middle time, 6:30-7:45 or so, and if you walk up, that's the busiest time. We knew when our shows were so we pretty much had to stick with what had booked. It worked out every night except the first formal night. Because they moved our Oasis of Dreams show (due to a cancellation) we had less time to get ready, tried to change the reservation by 1/2 later and they couldn't accommodate us. We probably could have just gone a half hour later, but we might have waited a while.

Ask your husband how he likes the AW100, I am about to buy one for beach use for our up coming cruise. I shoot with a Canon 1d Mark IV, and would like to know what he thinks of the AW100 IQ.

No idea what you just asked:o:p. I will get a response from DH for you!

I believe the limit is 800, unless you purchase items in the USVI or San Juan and then you're allowed up to 1600 before any duty is levied

Correct. However, I also THINK the allowance is per family member living at the same address. So travelling with a spouse and a couple of kids provides for a pretty high spending limit.

Ask your husband how he likes the AW100, I am about to buy one for beach use for our up coming cruise. I shoot with a Canon 1d Mark IV, and would like to know what he thinks of the AW100 IQ.

Ha Ha! Look at this email I just got from DH at work:

"He's asking if we like the water camera (it's model number is the AW100). Yes, love it I was quite impressed with the images that it took. Like most P&S cameras, it's better in bright light (i.e. daytime)"

I think DH is stalking me?:eek:;)

So there's your answer! I forgot that the AW100 is the water camera, but I like the images and it's so easy so much that I plan to bring it on my Jewel Cruise.

Edited by Familygoboston

:D Wow! Great review and beautiful pictures. Thank you for taking the time to write this, and to your DH for his photography. It is nice to get the opinions from an experienced cruiser as we were first timers on our Oasis trip and were like kids in a toy store. Totally in awe of everything. Your summary is right on with the advice about planning before hand. There is something for everyone but you need to decide what you want and where to get it. We don't feel we squandered our premium by not doing any of the amazing activities (we are older and not into zip lines and flow riders). We enjoyed watching others do these (no clothing mishaps) and just being around so many people happy and smiling. After reading other reviews I was pleasantly surprised by how polite and friendly people were. I haven't seen this on land vacatons we have taken.

Thank you for including your before and after planning list. It is a good example of the need to be flexible. Also showed me how to make my list less cluttered...hopefully. I hope to read more reviews from you in the future. You have a talent for this. Wishing you happy sailing and a Happy New Year.

:D Wow! Great review and beautiful pictures. Thank you for taking the time to write this, and to your DH for his photography. It is nice to get the opinions from an experienced cruiser as we were first timers on our Oasis trip and were like kids in a toy store. Totally in awe of everything. Your summary is right on with the advice about planning before hand. There is something for everyone but you need to decide what you want and where to get it. We don't feel we squandered our premium by not doing any of the amazing activities (we are older and not into zip lines and flow riders). We enjoyed watching others do these (no clothing mishaps) and just being around so many people happy and smiling. After reading other reviews I was pleasantly surprised by how polite and friendly people were. I haven't seen this on land vacatons we have taken.

Thank you for including your before and after planning list. It is a good example of the need to be flexible. Also showed me how to make my list less cluttered...hopefully. I hope to read more reviews from you in the future. You have a talent for this. Wishing you happy sailing and a Happy New Year.

Happy, this is so nice of you to say!

I do agree with you about enjoying the others; we had great fun watching the zipline and flowrider too! Im including the shows as part of the "extras" you pay for...I feel if you enjoy those shows, you've easily enjoyed $500+ worth of entertainment!!

Hey I was curious did you try out the windjammer buffet? I've read mixed reviews about it. The biggest complaint seems to be it's too small for such a big ship

We did go to the Windjammer for dinner on embarkation day. I was able to get my strawberry pavlova, which was the only thing I would have missed at the MDR that night. :D

I thought the Windjammer definitely appeared smaller than the one on Navigator (which is my most recent memory). I have never loved the Windjammer, it was for most of my cruises the only option for a quick meal. I loved that Oasis had so many other options. I guess we really took advantage of them and never got back to Windjammer. Also with so many options right on the Promenade, we often grabbed a snack (pizza!) there rather than walk all the way up to the Windjammer when returning from port as we might have on another ship.

I was wondering where your mustard drill was located? Is this for all deck 10? Also (maybe I missed it in the post) but when and where was the meet and mingle?

We were port side forward deck 10, and our station was in Studio B. Each quadrant of a deck has it's own color, and I'm not sure if the whole deck 10 was there or if it was all the same color from several decks:confused:

It says right on the cabin door where to go, and most were( probably all?) indoors with a video.

received the spreadsheet. thanks so much. also thanks for the info re: the shoes. i really enjoyed your review and look forward to many more!

You are welcome! I hope you do one after your sailing too! My next one will be Jewel of the Seas with my DD, CruisEm...she's going to try to give a teen perspective while I do the grownup side of things...should be fun to work together!

We sail in a month, but it may take us a couple of weeks to get our photos together!

I'm not sure where we will post our Galapagos cruise; the ship we sail is not here on CC:(

My Paul Gaughin cruise is on another board, so I will post that one there next fall.

Day 7 Fri, Dec 9 Sea Day: We Race Around Trying to See Everything We've Missed, So Far, on This Ship.

Well, because of the other couple to commiserate with, we had a blast! One of our most fun cruises ever. We would meet every evening at sunset for "sundowners" club on the pool deck and have a drink before our late seating, so we could face our dining companions. One day we were sitting down there and we looked up and noticed that because of the angle of the sun, we could see every single person who was having a sunset drink in the Viking Crown Lounge through the windows...but just their lower halves. And I mean everything, we could see straight up ladies skirts. Right then and there, we dubbed it the "Crotch Bar" and vowed not to drink there at sunset. The name has stuck all these years and many cruises later. So if we ever sail with you and you hear us invite you to join us for drinks in the Crotch Bar, don't panic, because we do slip up occasionally!

When we sailed on Carnival, the Supper club was all the way on the top deck. The stairs up to the supper club were elegantly made out of glass, allowing for a similar view to anyone standing under them.. They had to be designed by a bunch of frats, saying there is no way they will approve this!!

Loved your review, as we are sailing on her for Spring Break.. Thank you soo much, it was very helpful..

When we sailed on Carnival, the Supper club was all the way on the top deck. The stairs up to the supper club were elegantly made out of glass, allowing for a similar view to anyone standing under them.. They had to be designed by a bunch of frats, saying there is no way they will approve this!!

Loved your review, as we are sailing on her for Spring Break.. Thank you soo much, it was very helpful..

Too funny! I guess this is where it makes sense to "live" the design, not just "design" the design;) It's been a running joke of ours for years!

Enjoy your Oasis cruise...she's a beautiful ship!

Fantastic review, thank you to you both. You have raised the bar for those of us who enjoy doing trip reports, both in writing and illustrating :) I must try harder and take my DSLR next time, but I have a small percentage of the talent your DH has as a photographer!

You have left me more curious to try one of the monster ships, but I am still unpersuaded that they are worth the premium (especially for a solo cruiser) and for business reasons I am unable to book as far out as you suggest to get the best rates. Perhaps I'll wait until CC posters are complaining about how small, old and worn out they are, in about 5 years time.

Thanks again - I will certainly look out for your reviews in future.

Fantastic review, thank you to you both. You have raised the bar for those of us who enjoy doing trip reports, both in writing and illustrating :) I must try harder and take my DSLR next time, but I have a small percentage of the talent your DH has as a photographer!

You have left me more curious to try one of the monster ships, but I am still unpersuaded that they are worth the premium (especially for a solo cruiser) and for business reasons I am unable to book as far out as you suggest to get the best rates. Perhaps I'll wait until CC posters are complaining about how small, old and worn out they are, in about 5 years time.

Thanks again - I will certainly look out for your reviews in future.

Thanks for your kind words...I forget that you don't have as generous cancellation policies as we do in the States:( I look forward to reading YOUR next review! Have a many happy travels.

awesome review . looking forward to messing up my spreadsheet like you . i have copied it whited out your stuff zeroxed the blanks and start filling in my own planned activities . thank you so much . i dont do excel or any other stuctured programs lol. not even in life

awesome review . looking forward to messing up my spreadsheet like you . i have copied it whited out your stuff zeroxed the blanks and start filling in my own planned activities . thank you so much . i dont do excel or any other stuctured programs lol. not even in life

I can send you a blank one!! That must have been a ton of work!:eek:

Thanks for the great review - I almost blew my Coke Zero out of my nose when I read about the FlowRider and the "Carnival of the Seabass!" I can't wait until your next review :)

Thanks! I just knew there would 2 or 3 people out there who could appreciate my whacky sense of humor!;)

Make that four :D

Thank you!:)

I'm not buying one word of the flowrider stuff until I see pictures.:rolleyes:;):p

I am eternally grateful that there were no photos:D

BTW for anyone interested...at the time, I could not find the weekly planner, but as I was organizing for my upcoming Jewel cruise, I did find it. I'll try to get my DH to scan and upload it so I can post it here between football games this weekend!

Thanks for taking the time to put this review together. I really enjoyed the story about the flowrider :D

We will be on the Oasis in April and I'm thinking I will enjoy the flowrider much better from the viewing stands than on a board.