Oasis LIVE (one month later!) Review

Sue- there is a picture of it in this review. Unfortunately, there is no way to post a version that would able to be edited unless we all shared a google doc, and that would still need a password etc. Ive even had my IT hubby look into sharing it on his website etc, but the only way would be as a PDF, still not "useable". So it seems like the option is I email the excel version that folks can edit, or one could just create one on whatever program they like using the photo as a guide. Also, there are apps now that didn't exist even a couple of years ago- like Trip it, but I still use the old fashioned spread sheet;)

Will get it to you soon!

Kathy

Did you find the Compasses ok? I did a check and they are still posted on my DH's site. I hope they are still helpful, I haven't seen a recent Eastern full set, so I guess 6 months is close enough;) Enjoy your cruise!!

Compasses aren't pulling up. I've tried each one.

Compasses aren't pulling up. I've tried each one.

Strange- DH just checked the site and they are still there and we were able to open them. Could CC have altered the link for some reason? It's not a site related to travel in any way, so I can't imagine why. Puzzler!

Ed. Ok, seems the link has expired somehow, not really sure why, maybe because it had been so long since anyone used it. Anyway he has re set them, but I will have to repost them here at the end of the review tomorrow. Bummer that I can't go back and edit them!

Edited by Familygoboston

• 2 weeks later...

I would love a copy of your spreadsheet, sjc2@bham.rr.com

Can't believe you're still helping people over a year later, how sweet! We are going on the Oasis this May, but are doing the Western. Sure wish someone would post some recent Western Compass copies, I can only find older reviews on Oasis Western (but I'm not very computer savy, to do searches for what I need :o) I should be able to start making my dinner and show reservations soon and really need some compass copies :eek: Thanks again for your GREAT review and helping so many people with your spreadsheet emails!!

Irismike-checked it, it seems ok, sorry, might be some incompatibility?:confused:

If you look on CC, someone just posted a v recent Oasis (western I think) from Jan. It appeared to be a photo, so no downloading!:D

Misty and danaps on its way! Queensland, I'd need an email-

For Everyone: DONT put your email on the boards without a disguise!! I just got a spider bot yesterday (an automated spam program that steals your email from publicly available websites (like CC- but mine was taken from one related to my volunteer work) and then the "bot" spams EVERYONE in your contacts list!:eek:

So disguise like this:

Smith AT G Mail (dot) Com or similar to avoid the spider bot from recognizing you address as an email address ( I can figure it out!)

Hi from Australia - going on Oasis in April Eastern Carribean. I would love a copy of your spreadsheed. Thanks Heaps. Cheers Judy

We are also on the Oasis in April, we are going the 20th, when are you going. If it is April 20, please join our roll call.

Great review... we did our first cruise on the Oasis last month and loved it. Enjoy reliving our time on the ship thru your posts. There seems to be alot of things we missed or didn't have time to get to so I guess we have to go back ! Thanks again for the good stories, insights and great pics !!

Sorry for the delay responding...just got boack from WDW...love that place ;) Thanks for all the kind words...I'm glad that you are finding it helpful! I read all the reviews for every trip I take!! I love getting as many ideas as I can, glad i could help!:D

Thanks for the spreadsheet! I looked for the recent Oasis compass post but can't find it, I saw one for the Allure, but not Oasis. Could you be so kind to give the poster's name and the posts title so maybe I could locate it?

Hmm, I can't find it now either ...Sorry!!

I would love it if you could send me your spreadsheet! You're the best.

Krystinap at g mail dot com

Thank you!!!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Will do!

• 2 months later...

Since you have been on both ships, which one would you recommend the most? I've been researching both and they alternate between both eastern and western Caribbean so I'm guessing which itinerary you would like. Is there one that you liked more than the other?

Since you have been on both ships, which one would you recommend the most? I've been researching both and they alternate between both eastern and western Caribbean so I'm guessing which itinerary you would like. Is there one that you liked more than the other?

No doubt Eastern is my choice and would drive my choice for any given week ( I'd go on the ship that was doing Eastern) I don't love Jamaica, I've been to Cozumel a lot on short cruises and love it- but I like to "save" that port for short cruises. We also liked Labadee as a beach day, but given there are only 3 ports in a week, we'd prefer actual "places". On Eastern, we love ST Martin and St Thomas ( well, actually we love the ability to get to St John or Water island or out sailing there- the actual island of St T is not what we usually do there. Nassau is the only "weak" port, but at least there are some things to explore there. But these same reasons may not apply to you. For instance if you don't get to Cozumel much then I highly reccommend it! That makes 2 "good " E ports vs 2 "good" west ports and a wash! We like St Martin best so that's he way we would go.

OA vs AL- if you've never done either, it simply won't matter, both are so similar I barely felt different! One main issue would be the broadway show- Chicago is more " adult" (scantily clad dancers, murder etc) so if I were traveling with kids or Tweens, I'd go for hairspray ( OA). We found he shows comprable- he aquatheater show on AL better, the ice show on OA a littlr better.

OA has the seafood shack while AL has Rita's, the food at both is only fair, so I wouldn't make my choice on that. The AL has the boardwalk dog house- great for a quick lunch but again- choose a whole cruise over hot dogs?

We found the sr staff (cd, group coordinator etc,) generally more out and available for chatting on AL, but I'm sure this varies by who is Capt and Hotel Director and the tone they set, and those professionals move around a lot.

Honestly, if you have net done either pick he cheapest with the itinerary you like, the differences are too few to matter! Happy cruising!

• 2 weeks later...

So happy to find your review. I live with my older daughter, son-in-law, and 22-year-old granddaughter. The four of us sailed on the Oasis in November 2012. SIL is wheelchair-bound, and he LOVED the ocean-view balcony in their accessible cabin. It is his 3rd cruise, but the first with built-in ramp to allow him to wheel out onto the balcony. Because the accessible cabins are larger than others, the balcony was also larger, and the four of us hung out there every afternoon, ordering snacks & drinks from room service. (GDD & I stayed in a connecting cabin, which was also quite handy for all of us.)

I came into a bit of unexpected $$ last month :), and I decided to book my second cruise on the Oasis for this coming November - this time a two-person vacation with my younger daughter. I hadn't heard about the "Secret Decks", and was delighted to see your picture showing clearly how they look from the side. To fit the budget, we're staying in an interior cabin on deck 14, forward. You can bet that finding the secret balconies will be one of my top priorities.

Even though I was on the Oasis just 5 months ago, I have gathered many "new" ideas from your review and a few others I've read here on CC. I love all your little hints about best places to sit for various shows, etc. I'm not good at spreadsheets, but my SIL is a whiz. I'm going to show him yours, and ask him to make one for me.

I never got around to checking out the Solarium Bistro last year, but I'll definitely give it a try for breakfast and/or lunch this trip. (Although the four of us dined together in the MDR every evening, my GDD & I often ate breakfast or lunch by ourselves, and she found lots of things to like in the Windjammer.)

I did the zip line. (I thought it was pretty gutsy for this 200 lb. 72-year-old). I hope to drop 15 or 20 lb. before this upcoming trip, and will zip line again. I may even try the rock wall climb. I've done it twice here at home, and made it about 2/3 of the way up the wall. I have good upper body strength, but rock climbing requires more leg strength than I currently have. Time to go get some training at the local gym. I'm also a little anxious about the automated belaying ropes. Not sure I'll feel as safe as I did with a trained belayer standing down below urging me on.

Reading your review and seeing your pictures made me realize how excited I am to get back on the Oasis, which is already somewhat familiar to me. When we got off the ship last year, I never dreamed that I would be able to get back on her again so soon.

My only other cruise experience was a two-week Caribbean trip on a German ship, the Bremen, 45 years ago - which I took with my (then) husband. I won a one-week cruise on the TV game show "Concentration", but by opting for a lower priced inside cabin, and paying a bit more, I was able to extend it to two weeks, with ports as far south as Aruba and Venezuela. Cruising has certainly changed a lot over the past 4-1/2 decades - at least on the Oasis. :D

Thanks again for all the time you took to post your review. You really are a very good writer, and everything was interesting for me to read. Although I wouldn't dream of trying the flowrider, you can bet that I'll be observing it this trip - something else I didn't get around to doing last time.

Joanna in Virginia

Thanks Joanna,

I think you'll be amazed at how much more " relaxed" subsequent trips on this class are;). It is a lot to take in the first time around, but both DH and I really felt at home on our Allure cruise after having cruised once before on Oasis.

Well, you did the zip line...yeah! So you never know, you might like the flow rider:p. I know my days on it are over, but it was fun to try and I do enjoy watching folks on it!

Enjoy your cruise! :D

• 1 month later...
Sorry for the delay responding...just got boack from WDW...love that place ;) Thanks for all the kind words...I'm glad that you are finding it helpful! I read all the reviews for every trip I take!! I love getting as many ideas as I can, glad i could help!:D

Hmm, I can't find it now either ...Sorry!!

Will do!

Im also interested in your spreadsheet. My email is MAAlvarez18 at bellsouth dot net