HAL Negative threads

bozemanman

I am no cheerleader, at least I try not to be and I'm sure my recent opinions about the Corporate mindset illustrates that, but a lot of folks are only capable of being miserable; that their happiness is actually misery and actually are incapable of experiencing/reacting/accepting joy. These people are the proverbial squeaky wheels that always got the grease, they are so conditioned that throwing a fit is the process to get their way, which will still not make them happy, or the way to get attention.

When I hear someone whining about the what didn't suit them or meet their preferences, I tune them out as they're exactly what I said above. My X was this, my Y was that, server Z didn't give me 13 minutes of ego stroking @ every dinner seating... I guess the world is ending! :rolleyes:;):D

Or when they whine on rough seas... what dija expect, riding the quarter horse @ Wal-Mart? Shut up and enjoy your vacation, you're riding the Blue!

Now physical problems like a shut down sanitation system, that's a bit of a concern. Would it keep me from going on the HMS Davey Jones? Not if the Davey Jones was going to where I wanted to go, but I'd make note of the cabins that were hindered by the faulty workings.

Derek

DW and I just disembarked from the Oosterdam on Friday. We had been looking forward to cruising with HAL after hearing and reading glowing reports of how good lovely the ships were, how outstanding the service was and how wonderful the food was. On my other laptop I decided to start a list of the things we liked and disliked about HAL and the Oosterdam. I will post this list in the next few days once I edit it. However, while there is no question there were things that we liked, I am afraid the issues we had far outnumbered the good aspects and the cruise, ship and service failed to live up to our expectations. The issues ranged from many fixtures in public restrooms out of order, to cool to cold meals, crowded MDR, slow service in MDR (two hour dinners), closing the MDR on a seaday for the Mariner's lunch, columns in Vista Lounge blocking sight lines, damaged leather trim in elevators, stained bath towels and table linens, mold on shower curtain, dirty and marked cabin chair cushions, and shorts, t-shirts and baseball caps being worn in MDR on smart casual nights. This is not the HAL that we were anticipating and frankly it will be a real hard sell to get DW to cruise with HAL again.

Typically I only read and post on boards representing lines I either am booked with, or recently returned from, which are essentially the HAL and NCL boards. A few years ago I did the Tahitian Princess, but that doesn't qualify me to make any knowledgeable comments on the Princess board, but I did sail the Epic last April so I occasionally take a look at what's going on on that board, but my first cruise was aboard the old Noordam and I consider HAL my preferred cruiseline hence I spend a lot of time reading this board.

I don't disagree that there seem to be more comments critical of the HAL cruise experience recently, many of which come from first time HAL cruisers, or first time CC posters, and some here tend to discount some of those comments. I believe the title, for instance, MS Zuiderdam front desk staff was horrible, could be considered an issue of what happended to a passenger's concerns when their problem wasn't immediatley fixed to their satisfaction. However, I took that as a communication issue between the poster and the front desk staff. What did get my attention was a repetitive issue of a failing sewage system, commented on several other posts over perhaps a four week period. To me, toilets became the issue, and it seemed, according to posts from returning passengers, to be a problem that was getting worse. My impression was, and still is, corporate hadn't focused in on the severity of the problem, perhaps because of the holidays, or perhaps toilet issues aren't passed up the corporate chain.:eek:

This site is called Cruise Critic for a purpose, and if indeed members experience either positive or negative aboard ship, or in the process of selecting a cruise, this is a place to praise, or vent. Personally, based on itinerary, I will choose HAL over any other line if the ship is going my way.;) But, if there is something negative or positive, you can be sure it will appear here!

I dont know if I've ever had a good day in the office. In fact I would rather be on a cruise ship with an engine room fire, than sitting at my desk right now in the office.

I'm SOOOOOO with you on that:D. It's hard to function after 10 days off.

Gosh, we've only been on about 40 cruises, so just possibly I know what high seas are. We had salt encrusted on our balcony railing and deck and sure never had that happen before. The high seas did not bother us but I was simply stating a fact. I think everyone just might be entitled to his or her opinion, doncha think?

<snip>

We are fortunate here on the HAL boards to have a number of folks who are long-time members and consistently provide accurate information to those in need of it. For this we should all be grateful.

Yes! :D

are from people who are new posting on CC. Those regulars rarely make strong negative comments and we all have had some problems but nothing that would make us say we would never sail on a HAL ship again. HAL is different from most other lines as it is more traditional and doesn't have all the bells and whistles. I find the staff very accomidating although they sometimes have to contact Seattle to solve a problem.

We do not get very exited about complaints about service, food, entertainment, etc. Apart from being subjective at times, we understand that their can be a huge variance between sailings, ships, and cruise lines. HAL can provide absolutely top notch in all three categories...they can also be medioce at times. Just like other cruise lines.

What we find helpful is information on the physical aspects of the ship...especially AC, plumbing etc as well as basic items like food quality (not preparation or presentation), and the value of the pay as you go venues. THe HAL board, and other boards, as well as ship reviews can provide insights into this if you sift through the comments. We often use these comment to select or deselect specific ships or specific venues on a ship.

I am no cheerleader, at least I try not to be and I'm sure my recent opinions about the Corporate mindset illustrates that, but a lot of folks are only capable of being miserable; that their happiness is actually misery and actually are incapable of experiencing/reacting/accepting joy. These people are the proverbial squeaky wheels that always got the grease, they are so conditioned that throwing a fit is the process to get their way, which will still not make them happy, or the way to get attention.

When I hear someone whining about the what didn't suit them or meet their preferences, I tune them out as they're exactly what I said above. My X was this, my Y was that, server Z didn't give me 13 minutes of ego stroking @ every dinner seating... I guess the world is ending! :rolleyes:;):D

Or when they whine on rough seas... what dija expect, riding the quarter horse @ Wal-Mart? Shut up and enjoy your vacation, you're riding the Blue!

Now physical problems like a shut down sanitation system, that's a bit of a concern. Would it keep me from going on the HMS Davey Jones? Not if the Davey Jones was going to where I wanted to go, but I'd make note of the cabins that were hindered by the faulty workings.

Derek

Please add.

"The Captain Didn't Put The Stabilizers Out,To Save Fuel"

"The Captain Said It was Too Rough To Tender into XYZ "But It Looked Fine To Me"

Yea the authorities on stabilizers and Captains decisions,

it's downright laughable I tell ya:)

Is anyone else amazed at how many negative comments are coming lately? I have observed it is passengers which are used to other line like RCL or NCL and sometimes Carnival and even some casual HAL passenger. What gives? I'm not a HAL cheerleader with blinders on (at least I don't think I am) but seems like a lot of unfair criticism of issues that other lines experience. I'm talking about vibration, toilets not working, some inexperienced crew members etc.. Just seems like a lot of hits on HAL, when no line is perfect. Anyone else think this is unfair and at an unusual volume?

I'd noticed that too and was thinking about posting similar, but you beat me to it.:)

It does appear that HAL are not responding or even listening to complaints. I remember last year when there was some conjecture about an aspect of an NCL cruise, that someone from NCL posted a response here on CC thus putting us all out of our misery. That really impressed me and shows they read these boards and care enough to do something about it.

I also wonder whether all the cheerleaders for HAL are shooting themselves in the foot (feet?) because so many have said they will sail HAL regardless. That must be music to the ears of those in Seattle - they don't need to work so hard to keep their passengers.

Don't get me wrong, I DO want to see both positive and negative reviews and I want to see what people liked and what concerned them. It helps me as someone who is new to cruising know what to expect so it doesn't come as an unpleasant surprise. But I agree that some of the complaints you see can be downright head scratching with those every popular words "did they really complain about that?"

Keeping in mind some younger generation's only impressions about cruising came from watching First Class passengers as portrayed in the movie Titanic. For us older ones, we remember the bunk bed cabins and the bathrooms down the hall even on the "good" ships.

The Queen Mary did not even have fully en suite cabins. For some of us, things are pretty darn good today. And for others, their expectations may have become inflated with the intensely competitive marketing imagery out there. C'mon who has ever been on a HAL (or any other line) ship that looks like the people in the ads? Even Crystal was a hearty mix of chic and old shoe comfort.

No, I do not agree we HAL fans love getting abused. Unfounded observation. We do like value for money and HAL continues to deliver this surprisingly well in today's harsh economic realities. And also one reason we are seeing more and more international passengers who do have discretionary income that in many cases well exceeds our own retirement nest eggs.

We have loved cruising on Hal for a number of years . But , no toilet is unacceptable.

All the Hal cheerleaders and all the math about percentages won't mean a thing when it's your toilet that doesn't work , ( or AC for that matter ) for 10 or 11 days ? Ridiculous.

QUOTE]

Thanks for posting this. I was going to make the identical post, Frank, but you beat me to it!!

AG

I for one do not mind the negative posts, why would I only want to read all the good news and cheerleading on a cruise "critic" board? If I was only interested in reading all the good stuff, I would stick to only reading cruise line company brochures, and the Mariner magazine.

But when is it a "cheerleader" and when is it just someone posting their positive/opposite experience?

There is a vast difference from someone posting positive experiences, and being a cheerleader. To me a cheerleader is someone who will brush off valid complaints, and wave the HAL flag regardless. A cheerleader will always find excuses on behalf of the company etc...

I obviously like HAL as I've sailed with them 4 times, and have a 5th cruise booked in April. However companies like HAL can change for the better or worse, which is why I want to see and read all opinions from cruise critic members in regards to HAL, or any other cruise line.

Gosh, we've only been on about 40 cruises, so just possibly I know what high seas are. We had salt encrusted on our balcony railing and deck and sure never had that happen before. The high seas did not bother us but I was simply stating a fact. I think everyone just might be entitled to his or her opinion, doncha think?

I was in in an aft wrap around balcony on this cruise--it was really big --and saw no sea salt crusted on the balcony--nor were there any high seas that would cause this--you are really stating non facts about high seas. Maybe you should have had the steward clean your balcony if the seas salt bothered you.

Doncha think you should not over state your concern??

BG

With all of these "never will book HAL again" threads, there should be plenty of room for those of us that enjoy them:).

I am definately not a HAL cheerleader, but I sure don't waste time looking for stains on carpet, checking the temperature in rooms or compaining about a splatter of paint or salt on a balcony. A broken toilet, of course a valid complaint.

I just don't get how small things bother some people so much on a cruise. I think it is still the best vacation deal out there!

With all of these "never will book HAL again" threads, there should be plenty of room for those of us that enjoy them:).

I am definately not a HAL cheerleader, but I sure don't waste time looking for stains on carpet, checking the temperature in rooms or compaining about a splatter of paint or salt on a balcony. A broken toilet, of course a valid complaint.

I just don't get how small things bother some people so much on a cruise. I think it is still the best vacation deal out there!

Exactly. We had one person on our cruise who one night in the MDR sent his meal because he actually complained that there was not enough oregano in it. Funny how he was the only one that complained about something like that. And he made a very big deal out of it to the point that everyone who was seated at his table were dining somewhere else the rest of the cruise

We enjoy HA (will soon be doing a 42 day HA cruise) but must admit that there are quite a few negative issues with the line. Some involve very poor ship design (such as a single pool on the Rotterdam and sister ships) and some obvious cut-backs in the cuisine area. On a HA cruise in the past 2 years (being vague to protect the guilty) a popular cruise director even complained to me that the line had cut-back on the budget for lecturers (very important for those who take longer cruises) and suggested that some pressure applied by good customers might have a postive impact. To be really honest, we were shocked at the big difference we encountered (last year) when we did a back to back on the Prinsendam and Rotterdam. The Prinsendam had its usual great service, engaging crew, great food prep, etc. As soon as we got on the Rotterdam it was like a different cruise line (most of the changes were not for the good). You also see quite a few negative comments regarding the Volendam....and lots of the comments come from very experienced HA cruisers not know as whiners.

Hank

CD on last cruise said HAL cut back on the male dancers so they could spend more money for the rest of the entertainment staff. Vocal quality of the lead singers was very high on this trip (Maasdam TA) with many passengers saying it was the best they had heard on any of their HAL trips.

Entertainment is not very high on our own reasons for picking a cruise so while this did not matter one way or the other to us, it was a conscious decision by HAL to make some changes and save money here to allegedly spend it over there.

CD on last cruise said HAL cut back on the male dancers so they could spend more money for the rest of the entertainment staff.

Indeed -

From my experience, the number of young boys dancing around on a stage has never been shown to improve a singer's vocal skills.

:cool:

Hubby has been after me to post that same statement, but I said nope, someone else will:) Thank you for soing so. If I remember hubby's calculations the amount of people who have stated there were problems in November and December on Zuiderdam with the toilets is about 2% of the total amount of pasengers, which would be, let's say average of 2,000 each week for 5 weeks Thanksgiving Day - Christmas Day (I know the Zuiderdam only holds a little more than 1,900 but averaging here:)) anyway that is 10,000 (Not counting crew of just under 1000) using the toilets at least 1 time per day. Well, I'll let you all do the math here.... Aint so bad after all:)

Joanie

And the number of pax who are CC members is what? About 2/3%?

Hubby and I have taken 11 cruises, 9 with HAL, and 2 with Celebrity. We took our first cruise to Alaska 8 yrs ago with HAL on the Amsterdam.

I can say I can go with the flow when minor things pop up. I am not a complainer by nature, especially when vacationing. I love experiencing other cultures, seeing other countries and feel it is a waste to get upset over the little stuff.

At one time, hubby and I would only choose HAL. Now, we look at itinerary, city and date of departure, cost, etc. to choose a cruise. I don't feel that HAL offers a superior product any longer.

This is what I have experienced and why I don't consider myself strictly a HAL cruiser:

1. When a systems issue occurs aboard ship like the A/C or a cabin toilet issue, I don't find it is reasonably and quickly resolved We had one cruise aboard the Ryndam two years ago when our toilet for most of our 10 day trip refused to flush. Granted, when I called, the plumber showed up promptly to unplug the toilet with a plunger, but a permanent fix didn't happen until close to the end of the cruise.

2. We had an A/C issue on our 33 day cruise (when the Rotterdam has been out of drydock for about two months) (freezing cold, cold enough to store meat :eek: But, we were the lucky ones as there were a number of cabins on Navigation Deck that had no A/C for 19 days when we were in the South Pacific.

3. I have a special diet, gluten free. Lately, on the past three cruises, the MDR "lost" my specialty menu that had been filled out the night before. This never occurred on previous cruises because the Maitre'D' always was careful to make sure that my menu was filled out the night before and he personally took care of it. Also, HAL asks that I fill out a GF menu 60-90 days before sailing. This allows me to mark down the number of servings I desire for cake, cookies, pastas, bread, etc. My desserts and specially marked items used to be available in the MDR at dinner and the servings were always generous and impressive. Now, I am lucky to get even one GF dessert that was pre-ordered. Yes, I can live without dessert, but HAL should just chuck that GF menu since they do not look at it, nor order according to what I request.

As a comparison, Celebrity doesn't issue a pre-cruise GF order menu for desserts or pastas or bread. That's fine. I prefer that to promising something that cannot be filled. Don't promise something to your customer that you cannot or will not provide.

The cruise lines attempt to be competitive and price in a manner that is appealing to their main market. I understand that. But, since I now don't consider HAL superior in any way to say, Celebrity, I let other factors dictate which cruise line I sail with. On my last survey, for the first time, I marked that I would not recommend HAL to friends or family.

And despite, that I will continue to choose HAL when it fits our particular needs. I know what to expect and can live with it, but I cannot in good conscience recommend HAL to those I know. For them, I might suggest to pay more and try the higher end cruise lines.

Hubby has been after me to post that same statement, but I said nope, someone else will:) Thank you for soing so. If I remember hubby's calculations the amount of people who have stated there were problems in November and December on Zuiderdam with the toilets is about 2% of the total amount of pasengers, which would be, let's say average of 2,000 each week for 5 weeks Thanksgiving Day - Christmas Day (I know the Zuiderdam only holds a little more than 1,900 but averaging here:)) anyway that is 10,000 (Not counting crew of just under 1000) using the toilets at least 1 time per day. Well, I'll let you all do the math here.... Aint so bad after all:)

Joanie

And the number of pax who are CC members is what? About 2/3%?

Archived