HAL Negative threads

bozemanman

Is anyone else amazed at how many negative comments are coming lately? I have observed it is passengers which are used to other line like RCL or NCL and sometimes Carnival and even some casual HAL passenger. What gives? I'm not a HAL cheerleader with blinders on (at least I don't think I am) but seems like a lot of unfair criticism of issues that other lines experience. I'm talking about vibration, toilets not working, some inexperienced crew members etc.. Just seems like a lot of hits on HAL, when no line is perfect. Anyone else think this is unfair and at an unusual volume?

Is anyone else amazed at how many negative comments are coming lately? I have observed it is passengers which are used to other line like RCL or NCL and sometimes Carnival and even some casual HAL passenger. What gives? I'm not a HAL cheerleader with blinders on (at least I don't think I am) but seems like a lot of unfair criticism of issues that other lines experience. I'm talking about vibration, toilets not working, some inexperienced crew members etc.. Just seems like a lot of hits on HAL, when no line is perfect. Anyone else think this is unfair and at an unusual volume?

Are you reading the other cruise line boards to see if they are getting negative threads as well? I presume this is the norm for any board, and we'll see it come and go as far as frequency. I haven't really noticed it on the Celebrity boards, but I dont really read all the threads on either board.

I also think people might have higher expectations/stress levels during the holiday season - which might attribute to the recent surge of negative posts.

Good question - there could be some trolls out there :eek: but it seems that some people have been very unlucky. I've been on a lot of the competing cruise lines with HAL and frankly, I kept wishing I was back on HAL. My last cruise was so wonderful (despite NORO:eek:) that I booked another on the same ship. Need I say anything more?

Look, if I have a serious issue, I will be the first person to post (as i did on the desserts), but hopefully the service on HAL is not declining. Not from my experience on the last cruise. My only bad experience (and it really wasn't that bad) was on the N.A. Ironically, we had a great time on the Zuiderdam. Impeccable dining room service. Great concierges.

Maybe there are some issues - but ships change as do experiences from week to week. I have always found better experiences on longer cruises, but that's just me probably.

with both of you on the negativity of the HAL boards lately. It seems the blame game is all over CC. It even has me wondering and HAL treated us like royalty on our one and only cruise with them.I even booked two more! I have to wonder, is it the economy, all the negative political ads, OHhh Ggee I spent too much at Xmas now I want to whine? We are scheduled to go on the excessively vibrating Eurodam in March and I am thinking OH Gee maybe I can save some money at the spa and not have to get a massage.;)Post Holiday withdrawal maybe?

I was on the thread for the 30 million countdown and we had a blast. As to what is happening I just don't know. I sure hope it wears itself out

soon. It will be a real downer for groundhog day.

Chris

Good question - there could be some trolls out there :eek: but it seems that some people have been very unlucky. I've been on a lot of the competing cruise lines with HAL and frankly, I kept wishing I was back on HAL. My last cruise was so wonderful (despite NORO:eek:) that I booked another on the same ship. Need I say anything more?

Look, if I have a serious issue, I will be the first person to post (as i did on the desserts), but hopefully the service on HAL is not declining. Not from my experience on the last cruise. My only bad experience (and it really wasn't that bad) was on the N.A. Ironically, we had a great time on the Zuiderdam. Impeccable dining room service. Great concierges.

Maybe there are some issues - but ships change as do experiences from week to week. I have always found better experiences on longer cruises, but that's just me probably.

I agree...been on some others...come back to HAL. The service is not perfect every time (what is in this world?) but is great most of the time. I can tell you overall...the MOST consistent IMHO.

It's not trolls!! There have been some serious issues and some long-time HAL cruisers have noted the same. Would you call Ruth C a troll?:eek: It's great that some people have posted positive comments, but the negatives definitely seem to be valid, and should be dealt with by HAL. It's a floating hotel, and non-working toilets can have a devastating affect your cruise when you can't just switch to another location:rolleyes:

I disembarked the Zuiderdam less than three weeks ago, and will attest that the reported extensive problems in the public restrooms are real. They go far beyond anything I have ever experienced on a HAL cruise (close to 40 cruises). I won't speak to the cabin toilet problem, as I did not have one. (problem that is; I had a toilet. :rolleyes:)

This is not negativity. It is accuracy.

It's not trolls!! There have been some serious issues and some long-time HAL cruisers have noted the same. Would you call Ruth C a troll?:eek: It's great that some people have posted positive comments, but the negatives definitely seem to be valid, and should be dealt with by HAL. It's a floating hotel, and non-working toilets can have a devastating affect your cruise when you can't just switch to another location:rolleyes:

NO, I'm not calling Ruth C a troll - I would never do that :eek:

Let's see, HAL has 11 ships and in the past few days we are told to NEVER sail at least two of them? 20% of all HAL ships irredeemably flawed? :confused: Don't think so.

And the complaints are specific and often narrow staff-demand complaints. Maybe there is a new level of customer service expectation going on.

Or HAL has oversold their image with their "Signature of Excellence" marketing creating failed expectations, instead of positive enticements? Or a new generation is coming into cruising?

Or, are these paid shills sent out to stir up trouble on the blogs? Guerrilla e-marketing 101. It appears we now have a group of consumers who think one strike and you are out. Wonder how may other cruise lines can meet their exacting standards.

Agree, it does seem to be a hyperbolic trend lately.

I generally follow the HAL, Princess, and RCI forums and out of the 3, HAL generally has fewer complaints on CC. We've greatly enjoyed our HAL cruises over the last year so its hard for us to relate to some of the complaints, even though I'm sure many of the problems reported are valid. The popularity of CC gives a platform for dissatisfied customers to have a megaphone for broadcasting their issues and they are probably more likely to post than the average satisfied customer. We generally use our cruising experience in interpreting what we read on CC which usually means we don't give as much weight to many complaints or to overly glowing reviews either.

Uh, no. I haven't noticed excessive negativity. Good lord, non working toilets would be a disaster on a cruise of more than 6 hours not a minor inconvenience.

I have enjoyed my HAL cruises, in fact have two more booked. But, it is clear to me that there is a slow, constant decline in service, maintainance and food quality. This isn't really surprising as the price of cruising has not kept up with inflation.

I disembarked the Zuiderdam less than three weeks ago, and will attest that the reported extensive problems in the public restrooms are real. They go far beyond anything I have ever experienced on a HAL cruise (close to 40 cruises). I won't speak to the cabin toilet problem, as I did not have one. (problem that is; I had a toilet. :rolleyes:)

This is not negativity. It is accuracy.

Never ever doubted there were problems on the Zuiderdam and never thought Ruth nor anyone else was not being accurate or overreacting...but I DO think there is a rash of HAL won't or doesn't recognize a problem and (worse) won't fix it by Feb or March. I know people want answers whom were affected (I don't blame them) but seems to be a lot of people joining in with the "me too" attitude.

Let's see, HAL has 11 ships and in the past few days we are told to NEVER sail at least two of them? 20% of all HAL ships irredeemably flawed? :confused: Don't think so.

Your numbers are out of whack. HAL has FIFTEEN ships...ergo % is far lower than 20%

Actually, I can remember this question coming up a couple times over the last couple of years (since I joined),

There has never been a real answer because we all kind of calm down and read between the lines or learn who to trust and who not to.

Point of fact; we all pretty much know that RuthC is a font of information about Inside Staterooms and when she speaks, we listen. We all know that Sail7Seas is basically the one to look to for answers about Maasdam. We all know that others have the answers to most things HAL.

But there are always Newbies or Noobs (as our Top Host Laura calls them) who have not done their research or have and go with higher than normal expectations and get dashed because their expectations were not met to what those who've sailed with HAL have told them should happen.

I read a review yesterday from a young mother who had done all her research months in advance, she'd asked all the right questions and knew what to do and what to expect. Well, things did not go as supposed to happen and instead went HORRIBLY wrong!! But di she let these really ruin her vacation?? NO!! She made lemonade out of her lemons (and believe me, she had LOTS of lemons!!!) the review was from 2008 and she made me realize that NOTHING I have read on this HAL section of the boards over the last couple of weeks regarding my favorite ship was even 1/2 as bad as hers!!

Noobs come, old timers come back, and we all kvetch. Life goes on and memories get bette. We all will have many laughs through the years remembering the time when on the DAM ship we had this happen or that happen and we did this to copensate? Lord wasn;t that so funny type of thing... I hope that makes sense??

Wait a couple weeks, things will calm down until the next time:) The last major events that brought this type of negativity out, I think was the A/C on the Ryndam this past summer. Things run in cycles...

Joanie

Never ever doubted there were problems on the Zuiderdam and never thought Ruth nor anyone else was not being accurate or overreacting...but I DO think there is a rash of HAL won't or doesn't recognize a problem and (worse) won't fix it by Feb or March. I know people want answers whom were affected (I don't blame them) but seems to be a lot of people joining in with the "me too" attitude.

Huh???:confused:

Your numbers are out of whack. HAL has FIFTEEN ships...ergo % is far lower than 20%

Right you are: 4 R class, 4 S class, 4 Vista, Prinsendam NA and EU. My math class flunks.

Has anyone ever stopped to think that the posters on these cruise boards are in a teeny weeny minority of the number of people who actually cruise? We are just off the Oosterdam on Dec. 24 and had a great cruise and outstanding food despite pretty crummy weather and high seas. Just as an example, someone two tables away whined that other people were being served before his table and managed to get a bottle of wine which he figured he was entitled to. And then tried to see if he could make some other ridiculous complaint because he wanted more free wine. A totally obnoxious passenger. The point here is that there are many people who simply think they are more important than anyone else. We had an outstanding dining room waiter and assistant, but some people are always looking to find the negative. A sad commentary. Will be interesting to see any reviews.

I always listen when an answer can be OBJECTIVE.

• Does the LIDO offer sushi?
  • Can you bring wine onboard?
  • Do they offer Hot Stone Massage?

I rarely listen when an answer can be SUBJECTIVE.

1. Do you enjoy the Tamarind?
  2. Is a Suite worth the money?
  3. How is the coffee?

Too much is personal preference... and as much as I've come to love some of the people on this board, our tastes and interests can be quite different.

(And for the recurring toilet issue: I expect most hotels, offices, restaurants, and homes have plumbing issues from time-to-time. Unfortunate, but a reality. I find it remarkably harmful for a person to broadcast the issue on a Board or Facebook without offering the other side an opportunity to explain their version of the story. Be mindful that no reputable business would dare have that discussion in public. It is harmful for any poster to behave in the fashion. If you're not happy, move on to another cruise line, restaurant, or business... but don't pretend it's an epidemic.)

We have sailed on HAL enough to be 4 star. We have had a variety of things that had to be attended to but it was always taken care of promptly. The issue of vibration is something that you just have to live with. We have only encountered that on one ship, I can't remember which one. If that is a major problem for you then you probably want to sail on Royal Caribbean which uses the azipods rather than drive shafts which can cause vibration.

Has anyone ever stopped to think that the posters on these cruise boards are in a teeny weeny minority of the number of people who actually cruise? We are just off the Oosterdam on Dec. 24 and had a great cruise and outstanding food despite pretty crummy weather and high seas. Just as an example, someone two tables away whined that other people were being served before his table and managed to get a bottle of wine which he figured he was entitled to. And then tried to see if he could make some other ridiculous complaint because he wanted more free wine. A totally obnoxious passenger. The point here is that there are many people who simply think they are more important than anyone else. We had an outstanding dining room waiter and assistant, but some people are always looking to find the negative. A sad commentary. Will be interesting to see any reviews.

Hubby has been after me to post that same statement, but I said nope, someone else will:) Thank you for soing so. If I remember hubby's calculations the amount of people who have stated there were problems in November and December on Zuiderdam with the toilets is about 2% of the total amount of pasengers, which would be, let's say average of 2,000 each week for 5 weeks Thanksgiving Day - Christmas Day (I know the Zuiderdam only holds a little more than 1,900 but averaging here:)) anyway that is 10,000 (Not counting crew of just under 1000) using the toilets at least 1 time per day. Well, I'll let you all do the math here.... Aint so bad after all:)

Joanie

... but don't pretend it's an epidemic.)

AMEN!!!

..... If that is a major problem for you then you probably want to sail on Royal Caribbean which uses the azipods rather than drive shafts which can cause vibration.

HAL also has azipods and uses them. The problem is some cruisers are unaware of the way sea currents move and that sometimes there is nothing that can be done about the problems the waves and winds cause:(

As an example our last Caribbean cruise on the Nieuw Amsterdam, we were anchored off of Georgetown, Cayman Islands as was the Ryndam behind us. Man oh Man did our ship literally bounce up and down in and out of the water. I mean it REALLY did!!! the seas were so wierd!!! Krazy Kruizers can verify what we went through. But you know, it was fun!!! I was in an aft stateroom and got the full effect of the aft slapping the seas:D:D The Ryndam was pirouetting around its anchor doing the same slapping that our ship was doing. It was an eerie but yet awesome feeling:)

Did I complain, heck no, I had fun and loved every second of it!! There were a few who did complain but hey, what can HAL do about the seas??

Joanie

Archived