HAL Negative threads

bozemanman

I've learned a lot for CC, and especailly how important it is to bring to the staff's attention any problem that has come up so they can resolve it. AND that there are more people to go to than the Front Desk.

I'm fortuante that we have not had any major problems but if we did I sure wouldn't just keep calling the front desk. There has to be something that they can do even if the ship is full. There have been instances reported here that the cruise line moved staff out of rooms (to bunk with other staff, temporarily) if a cabin was uninhabitable and there were no other cabins. It may not be a suite but there is always an answer if we persue it respectfully.

And I sure hope my room is a reasonably comfortable temperature and the toilet works on our next cruise... something I didn't used to give too much thought to. Those may be very low probabilty events but they are very high consequences to a cruisers comfort. And unless there is an engine room fire or some other catastrophic event I do expect resolution.... suite or inside cabin alike.

And these boards have instilled confidence in me that HAL will respond even if a few have had poor results, many more have have had good results. Thank you CCers!

A lot of subjective complaints (not toilet issues if factual) stem from unrealistic expectations, these mostly the fault of the cruise lines own excessive hype.

A lot of people like to complain, particularly if some form of compensation results.

To me, an enjoyable cruise is the sum of its parts, infrequently will any one aspect such as food, entertainment, etc. be overwhelmingly outstanding or superior to what one might find in a luxury hotel.

Factored together however, an HAL cruise is a truly great value for the fares generally paid. Certainly there are "better" cruises than HAL, but for how many hundred if not thousand dollars higher fare?

Look up an HAL brochure from twenty, even 30 years ago and check the fares for an inside or outside cabin against todays fares, they are the same if not lower. What other consumer product can say that?

Looking at the big picture, if you get a 7 day cruise in a veranda for $799 p.p. - in what major city could you stay in a decent hotel, eat all you want, see a show, etc. for $115 p.p per night?:eek:

Unfortunately, I think cost cutting can have a dramatic effect on the morale of the staff in any organization. It's interesting how complaints can be divided between effects of cost cutting on quality of food or entertainment, etc versus complaints because of staff indifference or rudeness.

HAL wouldn't be the first customer service oriented business who inadvertantly shot itself in the foot cutting costs to such an extent that they put their company at risk due to the erosion of their staff commitment to quality service, specially when a lot of their reputation in the industry is based on the fine service their staff has provided.

HAL should be mindful to make sure they support their staff in their pursuit to provide the high level of service their customers have come to expect.

arwen...could not have said it better. That is exactly how we feel.

The one thing that fascinates us people's loyalty toward their preferred cruise line. Loyalty to the point of making excuses for any obvious issue or calling into disrepute anyone who makes the least bit critical comment towards 'their' cruise line. You would think it was a child.

These criuse lines are, after all, foreign, offshore companies that are in business to make money. Can't see myself having these strong feelings towards any corporate persona-cruiseline, airline, whatever.

A lot of subjective complaints (not toilet issues if factual) stem from unrealistic expectations, these mostly the fault of the cruise lines own excessive hype.

A lot of people like to complain, particularly if some form of compensation results.

To me, an enjoyable cruise is the sum of its parts, infrequently will any one aspect such as food, entertainment, etc. be overwhelmingly outstanding or superior to what one might find in a luxury hotel.

Factored together however, an HAL cruise is a truly great value for the fares generally paid. Certainly there are "better" cruises than HAL, but for how many hundred if not thousand dollars higher fare?

Look up an HAL brochure from twenty, even 30 years ago and check the fares for an inside or outside cabin against todays fares, they are the same if not lower. What other consumer product can say that?

Looking at the big picture, if you get a 7 day cruise in a veranda for $799 p.p. - in what major city could you stay in a decent hotel, eat all you want, see a show, etc. for $115 p.p per night?:eek:

THIS.

In the 80's a friend and I paid $1100 ea for a porthole cabin next to the anchor with two bunk beds and the tiniest bathroom on 7 day NCL (equal to RCI in quality back then). No bathtub, no luxury mattresses, no buffet, no balconies, no room service. Too bad we can't send some people back to cruising in the 80's :rolleyes:.

In comparison I booked an SC suite guarantee for $1599 per person a week ago and could have gotten an SZ cat for the same $1100 I spent in the 80's.

Cruising is STILL the best vacation value around, last year we sailed on Princess with friends and they were astounded at the quality of service, entertainment and food compared with a land based 4-5 star hotel.

A non working toilet is just about the only thing that could ruin a cruise for me and I see a lot of trivial complaints lately. I've experienced some of the same issues on other lines so saying "never again to HAL" is amusing to me. Sometimes things come together perfectly and sometimes there are bumps on ANY cruise line.

I have never sailed on HAL before and we are looking at our first HAL cruise. I have sailed several times on Princess and usually read that board. I will tell you that there are just as many negative threads on there also :) They typically tend to increase at this time of year. The ships sail at capacity during the Holidays with all the families on board. This puts more pressure on the crew that is most likely wishing they were at home with their family. This lends to the crew not being up to par because they are working harder to please more people while their minds are really wishing they could be at home. Many people are first time cruisers during the holidays also and have high expectations and want everything perfect.

I have never sailed on HAL before and we are looking at our first HAL cruise. I have sailed several times on Princess and usually read that board. I will tell you that there are just as many negative threads on there also :) They typically tend to increase at this time of year. The ships sail at capacity during the Holidays with all the families on board. This puts more pressure on the crew that is most likely wishing they were at home with their family. This lends to the crew not being up to par because they are working harder to please more people while their minds are really wishing they could be at home. Many people are first time cruisers during the holidays also and have high expectations and want everything perfect.

Thank you for your perceptions. It is good hear about these reporting trends on other cruise lines too for perspective about what can and does go on here from time to time.

Crystal Cruise lines is notorious for its draconian reject policies where even the slightest hint of criticism not only gets deleted, but the poster gets banished (after being drawn and quartered by the regulars) and even reports that their entire cruise critic account has been closed. HAL website is pretty darn good in comparison.

itzmered. I think you've hit the nail on the head. Very perceptive post.

Holiday cruises are "high tension" affairs all around. The results are these rant postings about how awful everything is.

...and by-the-way, the vacuum toilet systems on board are very sensitive and goodness knows what unfamiliar passengers put in them over the holiday.

IMO

itzmered. I think you've hit the nail on the head. Very perceptive post.

Holiday cruises are "high tension" affairs all around. The results are these rant postings about how awful everything is.

...and by-the-way, the vacuum toilet systems on board are very sensitive and goodness knows what unfamiliar passengers put in them over the holiday.

IMO

There are similar horror stories on the RCCL board right now. Not to minimize the very real problems people had on their Christmas cruises, but issues are definitely magnified when folks have paid top dollar for a long-awaited holiday sailing and then things don't go well.

Methinks there is a difference between being a "cheerleader" and an "apologist." I'm a cheerleader, but I do realize that some things that happen are not acceptable. I've had some fantastic HAL cruises (the longer itineraries), some really good cruises, and, frankly, one that was a major disappointment. It was on the Amsterdam seven years ago and having cruised a lot on HAL, I realized it was not a "happy" ship. I'm saying that from the perspective of having been upgraded on the Amsterdam to a full suite, Neptune, concierge and all! I was invited to several tete a tetes with the captain, special suite luncheons, etc., etc. But the food was not great, the desserts were poorly prepared and unvaried, and the staff was unfriendly (right across the board, including the concierge and the captain). If I had not sailed HAL many times before, I may have given up on the line. By the same token, I've been on "happy" HAL ships that have fought off hurricanes and missed ports and have dealt with a Norovirus outbreak, and I'd sail on the same ships in a heartbeat. If the staff is uncommunicative, untrained and unfriendly and the toilet doesn't work in your cabin, you must voice your concerns to the right channels. But if one steward, or one bad weather day is a problem, you can't let it ruin the entire experience. On the second night of my recent 45-day cruise on the Maasdam a fellow passenger accosted me to tell me how horrible the ship was, how bad the food was in the MDR, and the Lido was like a cheap buffet! She never stopped complaining (and never said "thank you" to anyone who tried to help her...she was on a walker). Two nights before the cruise ended, she was at the Future Cruise Consultant's desk booking herself on another long, long cruise. I believe she lives to complain.

After having said all of that, would I sail on the Amsterdam again. Absolutely. Chances are there is a whole new crew and a new attitude. I've been cruising since 1959, and cruising on HAL since 1976.

Great points made by everybody on this thread. I agree that it does seem like every cruise line that is talked about on here has it share of "cheerleaders" that the minute anyone posts any comment that is the slightest bit critical these people will show up to tell the OP that their complaint is trivial, or that they need to quit whining, etc. When I posted my final thoughts on my HAL cruise, I had maybe 5 relatively minor concerns/complaints listed and one person sent me a private message and said "You look like a constant complainer, you'll never be happy." Seriously???

What I have gotten from the various threads is.... cabin toilet not working? - stop whining. Public bathrooms out of order? - stop whining. Make lemonade out of lemons. Stop complaining about trivial things. Let's attack the person who had the nerve to report back on these things.

Well HAL cheerleaders, for the first time in many years I am so put off of this forum, and HAL itself after seeing the comments ignored on their facebook page that it leaves me with a very uncomfortable feeling. The rudeness of some of the comments and attacks on the people reporting the problems have been offensive at times.

I will be on the Zuiderdam for 22 days. I will not be cancelling my cruise. However, if there are still plumbing problems 4 months after all these reports, no way in hell will I be booking another HAL cruise. And I have been a HAL fan for a very long time and loved every cruise. The crews are phenomenal. But there have been times when broken loungers and shabby areas and lack of maintenance, amongst other things, have shown the standards have dropped. I also spent a day on the Zaandam with a non-working cabin toilet, but at least it was fixed by dinner-time, so no complaint there. (And no, we did not put anything in the toilet that we should not have). If, however, it had gone on longer and the public toilets were out of order, I would definitely not have been a happy cruiser.

I appreciate all feedback from all cruisers, whether it be positive or negative. To denigrate the negatives as "whining" and labelleling them as first-time posters or newbies to somehow try to explain why they are posting something negative is offensive. Some of the people who reported plumbing issues are long-time cruisers and well-respected on this forum. But the nay-sayers choose to ignore that fact.

Yes we can all make the best of a cruise where the plumbing does not work. But why should we have to? It's a floating hotel and maintenance should be top-notch considering we cannot just relocate elsewhere. One cruise with problems - OK, ship happens. But when it continues into subsequent cruises, there's no excuse for that.

Now flame away.

What I have gotten from the various threads is.... cabin toilet not working? - stop whining. Public bathrooms out of order? - stop whining. Make lemonade out of lemons. Stop complaining about trivial things. Let's attack the person who had the nerve to report back on these things.

Well HAL cheerleaders, for the first time in many years I am so put off of this forum, and HAL itself after seeing the comments ignored on their facebook page that it leaves me with a very uncomfortable feeling. The rudeness of some of the comments and attacks on the people reporting the problems have been offensive at times.

I will be on the Zuiderdam for 22 days. I will not be cancelling my cruise. However, if there are still plumbing problems 4 months after all these reports, no way in hell will I be booking another HAL cruise. And I have been a HAL fan for a very long time and loved every cruise. The crews are phenomenal. But there have been times when broken loungers and shabby areas and lack of maintenance, amongst other things, have shown the standards have dropped. I also spent a day on the Zaandam with a non-working cabin toilet, but at least it was fixed by dinner-time, so no complaint there. (And no, we did not put anything in the toilet that we should not have). If, however, it had gone on longer and the public toilets were out of order, I would definitely not have been a happy cruiser.

I appreciate all feedback from all cruisers, whether it be positive or negative. To denigrate the negatives as "whining" and labelleling them as first-time posters or newbies to somehow try to explain why they are posting something negative is offensive. Some of the people who reported plumbing issues are long-time cruisers and well-respected on this forum. But the nay-sayers choose to ignore that fact.

Yes we can all make the best of a cruise where the plumbing does not work. But why should we have to? It's a floating hotel and maintenance should be top-notch considering we cannot just relocate elsewhere. One cruise with problems - OK, ship happens. But when it continues into subsequent cruises, there's no excuse for that.

Now flame away.

No flames from me startwin - I just wanted to wish you a good trip on the Zuidie. I would certainly like to think that the plumbing issues will have been addressed long before you sail on her. If not, I can't blame you for your statement at all :eek: I, too would be extremely disappointed if these issues are still around in 4 months:eek:

Now flame away.

I agree with you 100%. No flame here. There are definitely whiners and complainers where things have to be near perfect and even that likely would not be good enough. A CC'er has every right to post about an ongoing issue with a cruise line here on the boards without being demeaned or ridiculed by other members. And I would hope that HAL and the other Cruise line CEO's would be interested in reading the boards and see that there is a need to repair serious plumbing or a system's problem like A/C quickly and to keep a few staterooms available to move pax who are experiencing unacceptable problems.

I think you are 100% spot on with your assessment.

Now flame away.

Agree 100%. I'm quite sure the cheerleaders would be VERY upset if it happened to them. I just don't get some people that post on here. Thanks for saying what I'm sure a lot of people are thinking but are bullied by some into not responding. I hope you have a wonderful cruise.

Methinks there is a difference between being a "cheerleader" and an "apologist." I'm a cheerleader, but I do realize that some things that happen are not acceptable.

Excellent point, and thank you for making it. Some posters toss the word "cheerleader" around as if it were a dirty word. There is nothing wrong with being a "cheerleader".

It's being an "apologist" that isn't right. That's the word to describe posters with a "HAL can do no wrong" attitude. Yes, of course HAL can do wrong. It's what they do about it, and how quickly, that matters.

Now flame away.

Startwin - Thanks for being the voice of reason. I was so shocked at how one poster was attacked that I had considered leaving the board and have been a member for a long time. We always appreciate the comments posted (good and bad) and then make our own decision. I thought that was the purpose of this board but somewhere along the way that seems to have changed. Thank you again for saying what many of us were thinking.

Now flame away.

I do NOT agree 100%, but do respect your right (and all others) to speak your mind on this forum. I do agree some standards have gone downhill on HAL (ie more work for less crew), but personally believe that is the price we pay (or actually don't pay) in this McDonalds society we have created. There are to me 2 distinct issues here. One is the physical plant (condition, maintainence) of the ships...the other is the people on the ship...crew. I DO believe ship happens and it is how the line responds to that breakdown which matters. I don't know the reason the plumbing broke (neither do you) on the Zuid, but I can't imagine it would be something ongoing for months...if so come back and flame me. The people side of things...well I gotta say I am a small business employer with less than 100 employees, we do our very best to train and track employees and their progress. Most of our employees are excellent and follow training well etc, but we are not perfect and neither is any business. I believe HAL does an exceptional job with there employees, yes I said EXCEPTIONAL...I can only imagine how they do it with so many service oriented employees. The ships will show wear from time to time, that is why they have a scheduled drydock to handles a thorough going over.

As far as anyone going on a future Zuiderdam cruise I hope you have an exceptional experience and hopefully they fix the problems before you board.

Hope the flailing of my pom-poms hasn't bothered anyone! lol ;)

There's also several posters that for whatever reason just don't like HAL period. (some even though they still sail on the HAL ships)

They whine and complain constantly, yet still sail on the ships. For those that don't sail on the ships,why are you posting?

It's like joining a Chevy forum and bashing their cars every moment you can.

Why not try a Dodge or Oldsmobile? Or keep coming to the Chevy forum and whining bashing and complaining. Sounds like a very frustrating life.:confused:

Excellent point, and thank you for making it. Some posters toss the word "cheerleader" around as if it were a dirty word. There is nothing wrong with being a "cheerleader".

It's being an "apologist" that isn't right. That's the word to describe posters with a "HAL can do no wrong" attitude. Yes, of course HAL can do wrong. It's what they do about it, and how quickly, that matters.

Bravo! Well stated!:)

There's also several posters that for whatever reason just don't like HAL period. (some even though they still sail on the HAL ships)

They whine and complain constantly, yet still sail on the ships. For those that don't sail on the ships,why are you posting?

It's like joining a Chevy forum and bashing their cars every moment you can.

Why not try a Dodge or Oldsmobile? Or keep coming to the Chevy forum and whining bashing and complaining. Sounds like a very frustrating life.:confused:

There was one such person on here yesterday. I can't refer back to the specific posts, because they have disappeared. The same poster is now over on the RCCL board doing the same thing.:(

Now flame away.

Amen!!!!!

(And for those of you that don't understand, that means that I totally agree.)

great point, of cource we need a bathroom and a/c that works, but you get a lot for the dollar on a cruise. Also in most cases ( but not all ) they will do anything they can to help you have a great vacation ( just took my 54th cruise ).

Thanks for your perception on this subject. I, too, think you have "hit the nail on the head".

We'll continue to enjoy the holidays with family and friends, and cruise during the winter to get a breakf from the cold!

Archived