Broadway theatre tickets

Broch

We will be spending a few nights in New York before and after our cruise in July. As we are from Scotland I would like some advice regarding the purchase of theatre tickets in New York. Is it better to book at this end and pay the booking fees or wait until we get to New York an purchase them. We will require 11 seats, so this will be very expensive, and we would like to enjoy any discounts that may be available. We are staying at the Marriott Marquis Times Square. Any help would be much appreciated.

We will be spending a few nights in New York before and after our cruise in July. As we are from Scotland I would like some advice regarding the purchase of theatre tickets in New York. Is it better to book at this end and pay the booking fees or wait until we get to New York an purchase them. We will require 11 seats, so this will be very expensive, and we would like to enjoy any discounts that may be available. We are staying at the Marriott Marquis Times Square. Any help would be much appreciated.

The TKTS Broadway tickets booth at Times Square (Broadway & 47th Street) sells tickets at off to 50% off the full price--but only for performances on that day. Further, there's no guarantee that you would be able to get 11 seats for the show of your choice; in any event, they'd probably be in different parts of the theatre.

(I'm not sure, but there might well be restrictions on the number of tickets one person can purchase--in which case, several members of your party might have to queue at the TKTS booth in order to secure the full number of tickets you need.)

For more information, see the TKTS website:

http://www.tdf.org/TDF_ServicePage.aspx?Id=56&do=v

And this page on the NYC Tourist website:

http://www.nyctourist.com/broadway_tkts.asp

Good luck!

Do you have specific shows you want to see??? IF you are very flexable, you can wait out your chances at the TKTS booth.

Playbill.com and broadwaybox.com have the option to print out offers and go direct to the box offices for availability.

IF you don't purchase tickets ahead, you are also going to have to invest a great deal of time gettting tickets, once you get there. Depends how you wish to use your time??

Do you have specific shows you want to see??? IF you are very flexable, you can wait out your chances at the TKTS booth.

Playbill.com and broadwaybox.com have the option to print out offers and go direct to the box offices for availability.

IF you don't purchase tickets ahead, you are also going to have to invest a great deal of time gettting tickets, once you get there. Depends how you wish to use your time??

Yes I really do appreciate your take on this. We do not want to be standing in line for a long time and then still not get enough. We all really want to see the Lion King but I was hoping either a group discount may help ease the pocket a little bit. We are in New York the week before we want the tickets for but it may be a bit of a gamble to leave it so near our date. Thanks for your reply anyway.

Lion King is rarely discounted because it is still very popular. It is worth every penny though. Here is the TKTS booth website and the list of shows that were discounted last week http://www.tdf.org/TDF_SupportPage.aspx?id=68&do=v If you have your heart set on the Lion King, I would order them, don't wait to see if you can get discounted ones, especially for more than one or two persons.

Yes I really do appreciate your take on this. We do not want to be standing in line for a long time and then still not get enough. We all really want to see the Lion King but I was hoping either a group discount may help ease the pocket a little bit. We are in New York the week before we want the tickets for but it may be a bit of a gamble to leave it so near our date. Thanks for your reply anyway.

• 2 weeks later...
And be prepared to wait at the TKTS booth in Times Square. Depending on the time of year and the day, the wait could be up in the hours. Long Lines.

However,this can be sometimes avoided. IF you have several selections possible, I get in line about 30 minutes prior to showtime. This is when the house seats are relaeased. I am in line, at most, maybe 15 minutes, then go direct to the theater. Have really snagged some excellent seats over the years, (acrually have been using TKTS since they opened, in the 70's :) )

My experience is that the TKS booth at South Street Seaport is less crowded than the one in Times Square and the Seaport is a nice place for lunch etc., :cool:

Also, you can buy tix a day in advance there, so if they have only limited quantities of a show, you can get tix there that won't be available the next day at the Times Square location.

Archived