Celebrity Infinity a better ship after dry dock?

travelberlin

Today I have read on Cruise Critic home page some details of what has changed in Celebrity Infinity after the apparently 30 million investment. I have also seen 14 slides that show before and after situation of some venues.

We have sailed with Celebrity Infinity twice. Once around Cape Horn and once through the Panama Canal just before it went to be renovated. We have both times enjoyed the elegant ambiance of the ship and of the different venues. Just to mention one, we found the Michaels bar to be very inviting for an after dinner or show drink. Apparently it has become now a sports bar:( I am interested to know your opinion fellow cruisers about those changes. Do you think that Celebrity Infinity is a better ship after the investment? Did the same happened to the Constellation? It is going to happen the same to Summit and Millenium?

Celebrity's intent on the M class ships was to bring the most popular features of the S class ships and place them on the M class platform. Since the S class ships have been really popular, I would think their investment will pay off since the M class ships needed to be updated anyway...As far as Michaels Club, its like anything else, you can't please everyone..

Potentially.....

We were on the "inaugural" crusie on the "new" Infinity. We were also on her in 2009 [which we loved] and have also been on the pre- and post-Solsticization Constellation.

On our last cruise, there were still too many problems to appreciate the "new" ship but we loved the refurbished Constellation. Overall, the changes are for the good but filling the "hole" makes the Rendezvous Lounge very dark. [i know that the "hole" was filled on Infinity some time ago.] We also miss the Champagne Bar but, otherwise, the changes are for the better in the public rooms.

The "new" Celebrity Suites with the balconies are great. Celebrity do need to do something about the Royal and Penthouse Suites on Infinity, though. Both have lost a number of amenities which were retained on Constellation. Basic maintenance had also been neglected. Our Royal Suite on Infinity also looked tired despite new carpets, furniture and soft furnishings.

Sue

My wife and I have cruised on all the M class ships, some more than once, and we strongly favor the M over the S class. Your description of "elegant ambience" is a perfect description of our feelings toward the M class ships and I would add that when we board any of those ships we feel at home as opposed to a relative "sterile" feeling on S class. Bottom line is that personal preference is the most important aspect of deciding which ship you most enjoy. One concern of ours is that Celebrity might relegate the M class ships to short and secondary itineraries which we believe would be a serious mistake.

One concern of ours is that Celebrity might relegate the M class ships to short and secondary itineraries which we believe would be a serious mistake.

Aren't the S-class ships too big to fit through the Panama Canal?

If so, then we will continue to see two-week canal cruises by M-class ships.

Aren't the S-class ships too big to fit through the Panama Canal?

If so, then we will continue to see two-week canal cruises by M-class ships.

Yes the question here is if the M-class ships are nicer or at least remain as nice after the "solsistization". I am sure that the renovated cabins are probably better. I am not so sure about the public venues. What it really called my attention was the sports bar, which apparently is there now instead of the Michaels bar. I find it difficult to imagine an elegant atmosphere in a sports bar. May be I am wrong.

Does anybody know in which venue elite members meet for the activity hosted by Celebrity every evening?

Does anybody know in which venue elite members meet for the activity hosted by Celebrity every evening?

It varies from sailing to sailing, as does the site of the Elite breakfast, depending upon how many Elite guests are aboard... There will be a letter from the Captain's Club Host/ess outlining those details in your stateroom upon embarkation...

It varies from sailing to sailing, as does the site of the Elite breakfast, depending upon how many Elite guests are aboard... There will be a letter from the Captain's Club Host/ess outlining those details in your stateroom upon embarkation...

Where is the current meeting place when similar number of elites are onboard that had the elite hour in Michaels?

Meaning for e.g. on our last cruise on summit there were 50 or so elites and we had our happy hour in Michaels...If that many are on future cruise where would the typical happy hour be held??

Where is the current meeting place when similar number of elites are onboard that had the elite hour in Michaels?

Meaning for e.g. on our last cruise on summit there were 50 or so elites and we had our happy hour in Michaels...If that many are on future cruise where would the typical happy hour be held??

I am also interested to know this, since the Michaels bar is apparently after "solcistization" a sports bar.

I am also interested to know this, since the Michaels bar is apparently after "solcistization" a sports bar.

DH and I are really looking forward to the "new" Michaels Club:D http://www.cruisecritic.com/blog/index.php/2011/07/22/live-from-celebrity-silhouette-64-bottles-of-beer-on-the-wall/

We don't object to Michael's Club being used as a "sports bar" part of the time, if it is now no longer a piano bar. But we STRONGLY urge Celebrity to use Michael's, for at least two hours nightly, for karaoke. This is a woefully neglected activity aboard "X" ships, as there may be only two or three brief karaoke sessions even on a two-week cruise. Some cruisers are avoiding Celebrity and using other lines, on which karaoke is scheduled almost daily (and even sometimes twice a day).

Many guests would attend karaoke sessions in Michael's Club, would participate, would be entertained, and would spend money (drinking). If Michael's is a full-time sports bar, we think that it will often be vacant, or nearly so.

We don't object to Michael's Club being used as a "sports bar" part of the time, if it is now no longer a piano bar. But we STRONGLY urge Celebrity to use Michael's, for at least two hours nightly, for karaoke. This is a woefully neglected activity aboard "X" ships, as there may be only two or three brief karaoke sessions even on a two-week cruise. Some cruisers are avoiding Celebrity and using other lines, on which karaoke is scheduled almost daily (and even sometimes twice a day).

Many guests would attend karaoke sessions in Michael's Club, would participate, would be entertained, and would spend money (drinking). If Michael's is a full-time sports bar, we think that it will often be vacant, or nearly so.

You are kidding, right:eek: Or is it just me!

Goodness me I do hope you are joking and just trying to wind us all up. Karaoke, surely, would not be something I would expect to see/hear on the daily program on any Celebrity ship.

I have been on quite a few Celebrity cruises and, fortunately, never have had the misfortune to come across karaoke.

I would not characterize the changes in Michaels as making it into a "sports bar.". To my mind, that would mean multiple TVs broadcasting a variety of sporting events and a sports memorabilia as part of the decor. The welcome addition of craft beer offerings has nothing to do with sports but rather a wider variety of beer styles for beer aficionados (and there are many).

I read that there would still be live entertainment in Michaels, just not on a piano. We found Michaels on Eclipse to be seriously underutilized as an entertainment venue, which is a shame as it is a lovely venue.

Be assured DH will be there for the beer and doesn't need TVs or entertainment to enjoy the beer.

Goodness me I do hope you are joking and just trying to wind us all up. Karaoke, surely, would not be something I would expect to see/hear on the daily program on any Celebrity ship.

I have been on quite a few Celebrity cruises and, fortunately, never have had the misfortune to come across karaoke.

Surely you don't mean to sound so snooty. I love karaoke! To each his own, I guess. Perhaps you can make sure you don't quite so judgmental against those who enjoy the things you don't. Because we are all different, after all...

You are kidding, right Or is it just me!

We are not kidding. Please keep an open mind and have respect for others' preferences. Celebrity is not a line that is open only to "aristocrats" -- some of whom apparently think of karaoke as an activity for the "unwashed masses" who are denizens only of "budget cruise lines."

Goodness me I do hope you are joking and just trying to wind us all up. Karaoke, surely, would not be something I would expect to see/hear on the daily program on any Celebrity ship. I have been on quite a few Celebrity cruises and, fortunately, never have had the misfortune to come across karaoke.

We are not joking. You are NOT interested in karaoke. We ARE interested in it. Your opinion does not trump ours! You say that you do not "expect to see/hear" of karaoke "on the daily program," but you must not be sufficiently observant, because it has been on some of your programs. (As stated by "dkjretired," below, "Karioke has been on Celebrity ships for years.") It is not a "misfortune" for any of us "to come across karaoke," unless all of those participating are terrible singers -- which is a very rare occurrence. We have observed karaoke being greatly enjoyed by many (singers and viewers) aboard the Millennium. Perhaps you didn't intend for it to happen, dear "hapicruisin," but your post came across as obnoxiously snobbish. We recommend that you read and edit ("soften") your posts before you hit the "Submit Reply" button.

Michaels is not a bar, it is a room and Karioke would not be appropriate in the Club.

We disagree, "dkjretired." Michael's Club (much to our regret) is no longer a piano venue, but something else, at least on M-class ships. But it always has been a sort of "bar," because it contains a bar from which drinks are served. On M-class ships now, there is no more appropriate place for daily karaoke [note spelling] than Michael's Club. The Rendezvous Lounge (which we have seen used for karaoke) is too big, and not sufficiently intimate, for this activity. We have seen fantastic karaoke sessions in a "pub" -- of about the size of Michael's -- on a non-X ship.

Surely you [hapicruisin] don't mean to sound so snooty. I love karaoke! To each his own, I guess. Perhaps you can make sure you don't quite so judgmental against those who enjoy the things you don't. Because we are all different, after all...

We thank you, "kath00," for your extremely reasonable response. We look forward to hearing you sing (and singing for you)!

I would not characterize the changes in Michaels as making it into a "sports bar.". To my mind, that would mean multiple TVs broadcasting a variety of sporting events and a sports memorabilia as part of the decor. The welcome addition of craft beer offerings has nothing to do with sports but rather a wider variety of beer styles for beer aficionados (and there are many).

I read that there would still be live entertainment in Michaels, just not on a piano. We found Michaels on Eclipse to be seriously underutilized as an entertainment venue, which is a shame as it is a lovely venue.

Be assured DH will be there for the beer and doesn't need TVs or entertainment to enjoy the beer.

Actually when I have read about the changes, it came to my mind exactly your description of a sports bar. Multiple TVs running all time. I do not mind beer or any sort of drink, I was mainly concerned with loud sporting events running the whole day. If it is just certain hours broadcasting major sport events I guess is OK.

Play nice kids!

We were on the Silhouette and Michael's Club is just as quiet and relaxing as it was in the past. Unless you're on the Connie listening to Perry Grant, most of the entertainment in Michael's was under-attended. It has 3 TV's (Silhouette) and they alternate between news and sports, depending on what's on, and the volume is practically NIL unless you ask to make it louder. I assume they have carried this concept on to their M class makeovers. It is still stately and elegant and comfortable. There is just more nice beer/ malts/ciders now!

They do hold "advertised" (in the daily news) sporting events, at which they provide wings, etc. Really good from what I have heard.

Depending on the number of Elite guests, the morning gathering and evening cocktail hours are still held there. Cocktail hour is now from 5-7 instead of from 4-6.

Hope this helps.

Play nice kids!

We were on the Silhouette and Michael's Club is just as quiet and relaxing as it was in the past. Unless you're on the Connie listening to Perry Grant, most of the entertainment in Michael's was under-attended. It has 3 TV's (Silhouette) and they alternate between news and sports, depending on what's on, and the volume is practically NIL unless you ask to make it louder. I assume they have carried this concept on to their M class makeovers. It is still stately and elegant and comfortable. There is just more nice beer/ malts/ciders now!

They do hold "advertised" (in the daily news) sporting events, at which they provide wings, etc. Really good from what I have heard.

Depending on the number of Elite guests, the morning gathering and evening cocktail hours are still held there. Cocktail hour is now from 5-7 instead of from 4-6.

Hope this helps.

Thanks very much for your answer. I have a better idea now.

Archived