Tonights chat between the captains was great loads of info

Captain one was going to use less thrust as not to affect other ship

2nd captain was going to put on his thrusters so that he would stay in position

talked about loading

talked about a captains meeting

great to hear captains just chatting to each other

yours Shogun

Hi All,

Yesterdays chat was great between the ships, even down to the port asking them about family when they were going to get back to them, are they coming onboard etc,

so a question do you think the ships know we can hear what is being said.

yours Shogun

Check out the FLL webcam today, Sunday Jan 8 - There are 8 beauties in port all scheduled to sail this afternoon. Gorgeous to watch at sunset and then to hear the ship horns go off. Always makes me wish I were sailing somewhere!

See today's article in the Sun Sentinel (Fort Lauderdale's local newspaper): http://www.sun-sentinel.com/fl-port-everglades-full-house-20120107,0,2389276.story

This is the 3rd day in a row with 8 cruise ships at Port Everglades - a new record!

Several years ago, I thought we had 12 ships on December 24th which supposedly set a record. Though it was just one day, not 12 ships each day for 3 days. 24 ships in 3 days in definitely a lot. No wonder hotel prices are up in FLL.

It was so bad when we got off the ship that there were no taxis to be found. It was one of those days in which I wish I had taken Princess's transfers.

Hi Coarl,

Was it around 22500 passengers boarding that day, we were on a turned around doing b2b we got of the ship saw the clues thousands of folks and went straight back on again.

yours Shogun

It must have been record number of people. Looking back - we disembarked on December 23rd as there had been record snow in Denver (which had closed the airport for several days) and the airport just opened up that day and I talked UAL into an earlier flight which saved me as my original flight was cancelled and I would have been stuck there for days as there were thousands of passengers who would have priority over me as their flights had been cancelled days earlier.

OK - found the PR:

http://www.porteverglades.net/articles/index.cfm?action=view&articleID=704&menuID=998

And, on December 23, 2006, Port Everglades expects to break its previous world record with an estimated 46,666 embarking and disembarking passengers. The previous record of 44,108 passenger moves was set in December 2003.

Then I found this: http://www.porteverglades.net/articles/index.cfm?action=view&articleID=656&menuID=998

When the final count was tallied, Port Everglades officials learned that they had broke their own two-year-old world record on Saturday, January 3, 2009, when 49,234 cruise passengers sailed in and out of the South Florida cruise port in a single day. The last record was set on December 23, 2006, with 47,229 passengers.

I found this interesting from wikipedia:

December 22, 1996, Port Everglades had a record 13 cruise ships in port on a single day. The port broke its own record on December 21, 2003 with 15 cruise ships.[2] No other port in the world has hosted this many cruise ships on a single day. The closest competitors are: Port of Miami with 8 ships and Port of New York with 7 ships on a single day.[citation needed]

Granted, these ships were smaller but 15 ships is a lot!

Here is one more:

Port Everglades broke its own world record on March 20, 2010, with more than 53,365 guests passing through the Port in a single day. The previous record was set on January 3, 2009, with 49,234 passengers.[3]

Now the strange thing about this is the United Airlines pulled out of FLL (in 2008) due to lack of passengers I believe (and fuel prices soaring, etc..)

Love the shot of the Behemoth of the Seas :D

I've been checking the bridge cam daily in anticipation of a Crown sailing in three weeks. It looks like an absolutely gorgeous sunny day in Fort Lauderdale :)

21 more days!

Chris

Have heard it called by someone on Princess, "The Monster of the Seas" either name is well suited! Many Princess cruises out of Fort Lauderdale will be last to go, and they let this one go first. It's the size of the apartment blocks at the entrance to the port.

Have heard it called by someone on Princess, "The Monster of the Seas" either name is well suited! Many Princess cruises out of Fort Lauderdale will be last to go, and they let this one go first. It's the size of the apartment blocks at the entrance to the port.

Captain Nash called them the "Monstrosity of the Seas"...

Mike

Mammoth of the Seas. Gargantuan of the Seas. Humongo of the Seas.

By any name, the RCI Allure and Oasis are BIG ships :D

Yes we did, but didn't have much luck. We were booked on the first cruise (trans-Atlantic) on the Grand after she got out of dry-dock and instead of sailing as scheduled around 5PM, the ship had to undergo some tests for the Coast Guard prior to departing. Consequently we didn't sail until dawn the following day. Of course our "wave away" which had been meticulously planned, including a banner, was a wash-out. The guys who run the live cam are terrific and have promised to catch us next time. Good luck and definitely have a go!

Mammoth of the Seas. Gargantuan of the Seas. Humongo of the Seas.

By any name, the RCI Allure and Oasis are BIG ships :D

Others I've heard include Displacement of the Seas, Obesity of the Seas and Ridiculousness of the Seas...

Shogun- we've made the wave photos 2 times without requesting to bs on them. DH has phoned the guy who runs the webcam, just to see what his story is. He's retired, and is there most of the times on the weekends, but sometimes does have to be away when the ships sail, and so doEsnt zoom in on individual people. We hold up a flag and stand right under the ship name on Deck 16. We stood once outside the back of Skywalkers when it was raining and we didn't get zoomed in on.

OMG we're on the Emerald Princess leaving on March 17th out of Ft.Lauderdale. Check out Cruisetimetables and see how many ships are going that day!! :eek: No wonder Princess emailed and said they were moving our ship up an hour to leave. Get us OUT of there!!

Oh my poor cruise newbie friends; they won't know what hit them that day!:p

Actually, the Princess ships are almost always the first ones out, and the Allure/Oasis are next to last (a HAL is usually last).

OMG we're on the Emerald Princess leaving on March 17th out of Ft.Lauderdale. Check out Cruisetimetables and see how many ships are going that day!! :eek:

Port Everglades has said that a single day record for number of passengers in/out of the port will probably be set on March 17th. See the Sun Sentinel article in post #12 on this thread.

Have a wonderful cruise!

Archived