Future of Formal Nights

TeamBozo

E bound TA on Nieux Amsterdam, W bound on QM2- in between flying Barcelona-Geneva-London on Easy jet (20 kilo limit). Could get by with a sports jacket on HAL but definitely need a black suit or tux on QM2 for their 3 formal nights as well as sports coat for 4 casuals. Suit and tux weigh the same.-

Just bought a new Samsonite 29" spinner that weighs 10#- about 5# less than current luggage- that should help.

As long as Cunard is the only alternative to go TA were stuck

Ev

Sounds like it - perhaps they have tuxedo rental if you don't want to pack? Most ships do;)

We go with the flow on this topic.

As long as HAL has formal nights, we will dress according to their description as a minimum.

If they discontinue them, we will 'roll with it.'

We admittedly have done so many formal nights for so many years and as we've gotten older, we are less interested in them than we used to be.

However, we are respectful of crew/Officers/staff/fellow guests and would never be so rude to not abide by dress code as long as we choose to sail HAL.

Agree with you Sail, 100%. :)

It appears formal nights are going the way of the rotary phones; disappearing.

Yes, it will happen sooner or later. Some folks will miss them. Some folks will not. Some folks can accept change. Some folks can not.

And before folks lock and load, I do wear a jacket and tie on formal nights and I packing one for our Noordam cruise which is just 13 days away!;)

E bound TA on Nieux Amsterdam, W bound on QM2- in between flying Barcelona-Geneva-London on Easy jet (20 kilo limit). Could get by with a sports jacket on HAL but definitely need a black suit or tux on QM2 for their 3 formal nights as well as sports coat for 4 casuals. Suit and tux weigh the same.-

Just bought a new Samsonite 29" spinner that weighs 10#- about 5# less than current luggage- that should help.

As long as Cunard is the only alternative to go TA were stuck

Ev

Or use BA instead of easyjet - weight allowance is 23 kg.

As I understand it, we dress formally ( a gown for me and a dark suit with a tie and cufflinks for DH), but have the choice to dress down and dine in the lido. I guess I am too traditional and respectful to think about doing anything different. I am happy to suffer an evening in nylons for better food, nice company, and better ambiance. I am struggling with why this concept is so difficult. (ok, bring on the blow-torches);)

We plan to eat in the Lido restaurant on the formal nights. I work 5 days a week and have to dress nicely so when I'm on vacation I don't want to worry about getting my formal wear to the ship, I like to dress in my capri's or shorts. We have done enough formal nights and now enjoy not doing it. :)

Every night can be formal night if you make that choice!

From everything I've heard/seen, it is usually 1 or 2 less than the docs mention. Is that a worry? If you bring 9 outfits and there are only 7, sure is as that was wasted space.

Luckily us fellas can get away with same suit! ;) We can roll in with a bit of style and color, always looking good!

Something like

MensFashion-Suit-Luxurious-Luxurious-Wool-Feel-Palace-Blue.jpg

or

image8717.jpg

That all said, it isn't the clothing that makes the person. It only accentuates the quality of person.

A tuxedo wearing lout or a gown wearing harridan are still just that, a lout or a harridan... just in a tux or a gown.

Derek

As I understand it, we dress formally ( a gown for me and a dark suit with a tie and cufflinks for DH), but have the choice to dress down and dine in the lido. I guess I am too traditional and respectful to think about doing anything different. I am happy to suffer an evening in nylons for better food, nice company, and better ambiance. I am struggling with why this concept is so difficult. (ok, bring on the blow-torches);)

Nylons? Jeez, does anyone wear "nylons" these days? Are you also struggling with the concept that people can opt in or out of formal?:eek:

Is anyone watching "Downton Abbey" on PBS? This is where the concept of formal dinner dress began: the English aristocracy "dressed" for dinner every night in their own homes (castles) and when they traveled on ships, they continued that tradition. Of course, they traveled with a contingent of valets, ladies' maids, laundresses, and other staff (can't bring myself to use the word "servants.")

In any case, "dressing" for dinner didn't negatively affect them in any way. They didn't have to contend with baggage allowances, TSA restrictions, and returning from shore excursions late in the day since they were traveling trans-Atlantic and there were none.

But on the other hand, I am one of those people who think its unacceptable to dress really casually (shorts on men; torn jeans, baseball caps are examples) in the MDR dining room for dinner. So where does that leave us? I really don't know but I would be happy to give up formal nights if everyone would agree to not dress for dinner as though you were going to clean out your garage or paint your house. I don't think that's going to happen anytime soon.

Every night can be formal night if you make that choice!

From everything I've heard/seen, it is usually 1 or 2 less than the docs mention. Is that a worry? If you bring 9 outfits and there are only 7, sure is as that was wasted space.

Luckily us fellas can get away with same suit! ;) We can roll in with a bit of style and color, always looking good!

Something like

MensFashion-Suit-Luxurious-Luxurious-Wool-Feel-Palace-Blue.jpg

or

image8717.jpg

That all said, it isn't the clothing that makes the person. It only accentuates the quality of person.

A tuxedo wearing lout or a gown wearing harridan are still just that, a lout or a harridan... just in a tux or a gown.

Derek

Yuck!

But on the other hand, I am one of those people who think its unacceptable to dress really casually (shorts on men; torn jeans, baseball caps are examples) in the MDR dining room for dinner. So where does that leave us? I really don't know but I would be happy to give up formal nights if everyone would agree to not dress for dinner as though you were going to clean out your garage or paint your house. I don't think that's going to happen anytime soon.

it will never work.

they'll dress however they want to dress. torn jeans, tshirts, shorts.

same arguments you use against formal nights are those that theyll use for not having to bring things other than shorts and tshirts.

Nope, it will not work.

On the other side of the coin, there are many, many ladies who attend formal evening in the MDR who are not dressed in a formal fashion-far from it. They seem to think that a pair of slacks, a shiney top, and a string of 'Sunday beads' suffices for formal wear.

They are as guilty as someone who is wearing jeans, ie they are not dressing to code. There is a tendency to point out the jeans issue etc. but not the many others who really skirt the rules and pretend that they 'comply'. They don't.

Not that it bothers me in the least, because it does not. I just find it a little amusing that some posters pick and choose their examples to suit their personal opinion.

...On the other side of the coin, there are many, many ladies who attend formal evening in the MDR who are not dressed in a formal fashion-far from it. They seem to think that a pair of slacks, a shiney top, and a string of 'Sunday beads' suffices for formal wear.

LOL I always wonder what all the ladies who post here that they wear a "sparkly top" on formal nights think makes their "sparkly top" formal wear. Do they tuck it into their slacks?

It was my DW who actually put me on to this. We were at a table some time ago dressed properly (but wishing we had just gone informal to the buffet) when a busybody at the table made a rude comment about another guest who happened to walk by our table. DW started snickering and trying to hide her smile when she realized this busybody did not come close to meeting the rules. I leaned over to ask what was so funny and of course she told me.

We had one or two formal evening after that but always scanned the tables and voila.... Never mind the men, you would be surprised at how many women do NOT meet the rules. They look just fine to me but they are not complying. If DW had not told me, I would never have know...or cared. I still don't.

People in glass houses should not throw rocks I guess.

Nope, it will not work.

On the other side of the coin, there are many, many ladies who attend formal evening in the MDR who are not dressed in a formal fashion-far from it. They seem to think that a pair of slacks, a shiney top, and a string of 'Sunday beads' suffices for formal wear.

They are as guilty as someone who is wearing jeans, ie they are not dressing to code. There is a tendency to point out the jeans issue etc. but not the many others who really skirt the rules and pretend that they 'comply'. They don't.

Not that it bothers me in the least, because it does not. I just find it a little amusing that some posters pick and choose their examples to suit their personal opinion.

I didn't mean to only comment on men - I have seen women at dinner who in fact look like they just came from cleaning the garage or painting the house! Torn, dirty and ripped jeans can be worn by both sexes!

It was my DW who actually put me on to this. We were at a table some time ago dressed properly (but wishing we had just gone informal to the buffet) when a busybody at the table made a rude comment about another guest who happened to walk by our table. DW started snickering and trying to hide her smile when she realized this busybody did not come close to meeting the rules. I leaned over to ask what was so funny and of course she told me.

We had one or two formal evening after that but always scanned the tables and voila.... Never mind the men, you would be surprised at how many women do NOT meet the rules. They look just fine to me but they are not complying. If DW had not told me, I would never have know...or cared. I still don't.

People in glass houses should not throw rocks I guess.

Actually HAL's RULE for Formal Night Attire is not really considered True Formal Attire..

To be truly formal, men would wear a TUX & ladies would wear a long gown, or ladies tux, with Nylons (YES NYLONS) & strappy shoes...Draper's & Damon has an elegant ladies tux with either pants or skirt in their catalogue..:)

However, IMO Ladies who wear sparkle tops with dressy Pants or Long Skirts & strappy shoes do meet HAL's Rules for Formal wear even if they are sans nylons... And men who wear a dark suit w/tie or even a Blazer with tie, instead of a tux also meet HAL's rules for Formal night..

One poster in this thread was flabbergasted & wondered if ladies still wore Nylons...I'm one of those who do still wear Nylons when I dress up...;);)

I would miss Formal Nights as we don't get to dress that much since moving to Fla..DH who has always worn his tux decided on the last few cruises to wear a dark suit instead, much to my disappointment..But he felt he was in the minority wearing a tux.

Only 17 days 16 hours & 42 min. till our next cruise on the NA..I can't wait!:)

Cheers...Betty

Archived