Maybe a dumb question -- safety concern??

umieesa

Hi All,

I'll be travelling on the Ruby for our first cruise in the next couple weeks and just have a safety related question when in the various ports. I have a leather Coach cross-body bag that I usually wear because it's really a great bag for my needs, plus allows me to keep my hands free to tend to my kids! Anyway, everyone and their grandmother has a Coach bag here in North America, so I never feel concerned travelling with it within the US and Canada, but not sure about the various islands we will be stopping at. Can I wear it as normal, should I not even wear a purse in port, or any other suggestions? I swear I thought I had read something on here about not even wearing a backpack in port out of safety reasons, but can't seem to find it, so any and all advice/suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Thanks! :)

Not sure what your ports are, but you should be fine. There are thousands of cruise passengers disembarking everyday in these ports. The brand of bag really doesn't matter to someone who is going to try and mug you, it's what's inside that they are after....

As in any other country or large city, keep your wits, don't flaunt a lot of cash, keep your purse at your side and stay in safe neighborhoods.

PLUS, odds are you'll see hundreds of Coach knock-offs for sale in each port.

Hi All,

I'll be travelling on the Ruby for our first cruise in the next couple weeks and just have a safety related question when in the various ports. I have a leather Coach cross-body bag that I usually wear because it's really a great bag for my needs, plus allows me to keep my hands free to tend to my kids! Anyway, everyone and their grandmother has a Coach bag here in North America, so I never feel concerned travelling with it within the US and Canada, but not sure about the various islands we will be stopping at. Can I wear it as normal, should I not even wear a purse in port, or any other suggestions? I swear I thought I had read something on here about not even wearing a backpack in port out of safety reasons, but can't seem to find it, so any and all advice/suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Thanks! :)

Love the comment about everyone and their grandmother :D A girl can never have too many Coach bags ;) If the cross-body bag isn't conspicuously large, you should be fine. I never carry a purse around the ship but usually take a very small Coach bag ashore with only a few necessities - a credit card, some cash, mini-hair brush, etc. I don't wear much jewelry, either, as that can be hazardous in port. Just remain alert and aware of your surroundings, and you'll be fine.

Sailing on the Crown Princess in 18 days :)

Chris

It depends where you are going. Do you wear it across the front? Should be no problem.

I have carried backbacks many times without problems, but I prefer my colorful Guatemalan cloth shoulderbag carried across the front. In the future. I will probably take my newest acquisition, a flat small shoulderbag (front) that cannot be cut at the bottom.

To answer some of the questions...we will be going to Grand Turk, Princess Cays, St. Martin and St. Thomas, and yes, I wear it across the front, but it's long enough that it falls to the side. It's brown leather and not blatantly "Coach" if that helps.

Sounds like I don't have much to worry about though...thanks for all your answers!

A little off-topic, but I would NEVER wear a backpack in any port. On our Viking Yangtze River Cruise one friend lost all his money and credit cards to a pickpocket (pickbackpacket?) at one stop. (He had to carry his money with him because we were changing from the riverboat to a air flight in that city.) Another acquaintance felt someone trying to go into his backpack at the same stop, knocked the guy down and literally sat on him until security hauled the thief away.

To answer some of the questions...we will be going to Grand Turk, Princess Cays, St. Martin and St. Thomas, and yes, I wear it across the front, but it's long enough that it falls to the side. It's brown leather and not blatantly "Coach" if that helps.

Sounds like I don't have much to worry about though...thanks for all your answers!

Take the same precautions as in any city, and you'll be just fine. Cross-body purses worn in the front are perfect for travel.

Just wait till you see all the Coach knockoffs on the islands. You're going to blend right in!!! LOL

Well I guess my daughters and I are the only people in North America who don't own a Coach bag. Not that I don't think they are nice, but I have never been able to justify paying that much for a handbag on my middle class salary. I couldn't believe how many girls my daughter went to high school with who owned Coach bags - why does a 16 year old need a $400+ purse? I am by no means knocking an adult who budgets their money and chooses to spend some of it on a luxury item, we all have our own ideas and ways to make our money go where it needs to while still allowing indulgences! Hmm, maybe I will have to check out those Coach knock-offs in St. Thomas? ;)

Well I guess my daughters and I are the only people in North America who don't own a Coach bag. Not that I don't think they are nice, but I have never been able to justify paying that much for a handbag on my middle class salary. I couldn't believe how many girls my daughter went to high school with who owned Coach bags - why does a 16 year old need a $400+ purse? I am by no means knocking an adult who budgets their money and chooses to spend some of it on a luxury item, we all have our own ideas and ways to make our money go where it needs to while still allowing indulgences! Hmm, maybe I will have to check out those Coach knock-offs in St. Thomas? ;)

A 16 year old doesn't need one IMHO. As an adult I find they save me money. I trash a cheap ($50 +/-) bag in one season. I have some coach bags for 20+ years. The company will fix them for you too. That's how I justify the cost.

I don't own one either, perhaps we should start a support group :p

Who is up for Monday night meetings, maybe serve a nice wine???? I fit into this too, I love to change purses frequently so I would rather spend $30-50 and be able to change them 3 or 4x a year than keep the same thing for long stretches. Where I am going and what I am doing comes into play too, if I am doing a touristy thing I like a little larger bag that holds water, sunscreen, etc. but if just shopping small bag that does not get too heavy. :rolleyes:

You aren't alone....I don't have one either...for the same reason. I just cannot justify $400+ for a purse.....

Just to repeat what has already been said above, I think a lot of expensive-looking jewelry worn ashore (why??) is going to grab the attention of a thief before a particular purse does. I have no experience to back that up, just observations of the occasional passenger who goes ashore in a casual kind of port wearing diamonds, gold, more diamonds, and then complains that her husband's pocket was picked.

Enjoy your cruise, and your shore time.

Some ladies love shoes, some love formal wear, etc. I happen to be a bag addict. Yes I admit it, no 12 step program needed. I have bags in all sorts of colors and brands, all of them are cross body, 3 of them are Coach but lots of others also. I don't give a flip about shoes, I live where it is warm, so it's sandals or flip flops 99% of the time. I don't care about dresses either, don't even own one. When I retired I said goodbye to dress shoes, heels, panty hose, dresses, suits, skirts, etc. A battered women's shelter received a whole lot of very nice things, and the director of the shelter was very happy. It was liberating for me!! Different strokes for different folks. :p

Some ladies love shoes, some love formal wear, etc. I happen to be a bag addict. Yes I admit it, no 12 step program needed. I have bags in all sorts of colors and brands, all of them are cross body, 3 of them are Coach but lots of others also. I don't give a flip about shoes, I live where it is warm, so it's sandals or flip flops 99% of the time. I don't care about dresses either, don't even own one. When I retired I said goodbye to dress shoes, heels, panty hose, dresses, suits, skirts, etc. A battered women's shelter received a whole lot of very nice things, and the director of the shelter was very happy. It was liberating for me!! Different strokes for different folks. :p

Well, like I said, I wasn't trying to knock anyone for choosing to buy designer bags, just that they aren't my cup of tea. Well, actually, they probably would be my cup of tea if I had the spare money! :) I think I am pretty thrifty in every area of my life, but one person's "thrifty" is another person's luxury, and vice versa. My husband thinks I am addicted to vacations, and I have to admit I can usually find a way to justify them! ;)

A little off-topic, but I would NEVER wear a backpack in any port. On our Viking Yangtze River Cruise one friend lost all his money and credit cards to a pickpocket (pickbackpacket?) at one stop. (He had to carry his money with him because we were changing from the riverboat to a air flight in that city.) Another acquaintance felt someone trying to go into his backpack at the same stop, knocked the guy down and literally sat on him until security hauled the thief away.
Usually my husband brings a backpack as his carry-on, and I bring a tote bag. When we go ashore, we usually bring one of these two bags as our shore bag.

We don't hesitate to carry the backpack, if it suits the day's needs; however, no matter which bag we carry, there's no cash or ID in it. The bag is just for towels, sunscreen, etc. If it were stolen or slashed, we'd be upset, but we wouldn't be in trouble.

Incidentally, the one time I have been robbed, I was carrying a shoulder purse. As we huddled under a bus stop in the rain, someone came behind us, cut our purses and took the wallets out. None of us even noticed 'til we were on the bus. Just for the record, it was Mexico City.

A 16 year old doesn't need one IMHO. As an adult I find they save me money. I trash a cheap ($50 +/-) bag in one season. I have some coach bags for 20+ years. The company will fix them for you too. That's how I justify the cost.
I didn't know Coach bags'd been "a thing" for 20 years. Are 20 year old bags still in style? The only handbag I can remember from 20 years ago was that wooden-handled purse with interchangeable button-on covers. Oh, I loved that thing. Anyone else remember those?

If you love them and can afford them, you don't need to justify the cost.

I personally wouldn't pay it. First, I don't particularly like them. Second, I just noticed that my winter-purse is starting to look a big raggedy. It cost $35 and is on its third season; thus, from a cost stand-point, it's a bust for me.

I'll join your support group, I don't own one, either. Don't really want one as I'm not crazy for logos...anyones. I prefer a neutral leather bag, it can be by a well known maker as long as there isn't an obvious logo on it.
Sounds like my taste for winter bags, though I prefer something cloth for summer.

Coach makes nice purses out of great quality materials and it will last forever. It doesn't really matter what she wants to spend her money on, she just asked if it would draw unwanted attention.

To answer your question, you will be just fine wearing your purse. The ports you are visiting are as safe as any North American city(In my opinion). There are so many fakes out there, you could have a LV and no one would care. It is how easy you make it for people to steal or if you have a hand full of cash sticking out of the top.

Relax and have a good vacation!

Between my daughter and I we have 14 of them...and not one was more than $92.00. ( many were in the $30-$50 range ) . We have a local Coach outlet store, plus you can now buy outlet online if you shop their outlet stores as they will sign you up for e-mails )

My real Coaches are cheaper than knockoffs!:D

That said, I am " over" them...much prefer a Michael Kors from TJMaxx or a nice Italian handbag from Marshalls.

I bought a Pac Safe bag for travel. We are spending time in Rome and pickpocketting is bad there. :mad:

Coach makes nice purses out of great quality materials and it will last forever. It doesn't really matter what she wants to spend her money on, she just asked if it would draw unwanted attention.

Sorry if our comments offended you (and I mean that seriously). What prompted them was the OP saying everyone and their grandmother had a coach...we were simply stating that not everyone did have a coach and our reason for not having one. I (and I assume the others) was in no way criticizing her for spending her money on a coach purse. As you say, it's her money and she can spend it as she wants. Just as it is my money and I can spend as I want...or not want....

Again, no intent to offend.

Between my daughter and I we have 14 of them...and not one was more than $92.00. ( many were in the $30-$50 range ) . We have a local Coach outlet store, plus you can now buy outlet online if you shop their outlet stores as they will sign you up for e-mails )

My real Coaches are cheaper than knockoffs!:D

That said, I am " over" them...much prefer a Michael Kors from TJMaxx or a nice Italian handbag from Marshalls.

I bought a Pac Safe bag for travel. We are spending time in Rome and pickpocketting is bad there. :mad:

What do you think of it?

Archived