I will never cruise with Carnival again, and here's why...

kingpinJK

Go here and scroll to the first food picture for the chips and salsa: http://www.zydecocruiser.net/menus/new/index.htm

That is how the OP knew it was bagged chips... I was appalled just at the picture. If I had been expecting the good stuff from the lido and that came out, I would complain too. But, it won't make me stop cruising Carnival for the simple fact it's the only line we can afford.

I can't believe I saw SPAM on the menu. I know it's considered a delicacy in some cultures, but on Carnival???

Oh my!

These types of posts are absolutely asinine. Is this first grade?

I fail to understand what people don't get about a cruise CRITIC website. He stated what he didn't like, he didn't say everyone should hate it and never sail carnival again. Some cruisers actually like to read good and bad reviews.

Seriously people act like their mother was just insulted whenever someone posts anything negative. :rolleyes:

Have to agree!!! These posts always make me question if I really want to spend a week or more with people with this kind of attitude. :eek:

We love Carnival but I can see what the OP is saying.

We are not hard to please or picky and we always have a great time on our cruises but we notice the steady decline over the years.

The chips and guacamole as a starter is just wrong. Why bother? I have never ordered it but it looked disgusting. It's almost an insult.

It's like they are saying " we'll put this on the menu, they'll eat anything"

We are going on the Spirit in March for the fourth time in a little over a year and if we have the same issues as we did on our Thanksgiving cruise, I think we will start booking other lines for a while.

Again, our opinion and not trying to persuade everyone to cancel their cruises with Carnival. Just speaking for ourselves.

No vacation will ever be perfect , I stayed at a beautiful 5 star hotel all inclusive and was bores the food was nasty and I felt it was a waste.

I go on a cruise for DOD , the fact that I can see different island for little to nothing. If I don't like the food on the boat then I'll grab food at the port. I know what I'm getting Into when I go. I also know when I get on the boat those workers have just finished working to make 3000 other ppl happy so they may be tired. I also know a tip takes you a long way. I also know that I can be home doing nothing but I'm not I'm on a big ship and I'm going to make the best of it. Me and the 22 ppl I came with.

We have been on 3 or 4 Carnival ships. We loved the 1st one when John H. was on it. That's why we went on another. Each time, the food and service dropped a little. "Except the chocholate melting cake!"

The biggest disappointment was on the Dream in 2010. Such a beautiful ship--but far to much for the wait staff to handle. We were moved 3 times from our 1st Seating, to accomodate other people who did not like where they were sitting. The 1st time was fine. The next night they gave us no choice, then they finally offered us and 3 other couples sit in an overflow room, where we missed all the fun from the crew show, and our waiters almost forgot we were there.

We haven't given up hope...we are going on the Ecstasy in May. I'll be sure to check the bedding before sitting down! ha ha--Being a housekeeping supervisor--I always check for dirt and Bed Bugs. We have never had anything but superior cleaning service on all of our cruises and cruise lines.

Just don't sweat the small stuff...

I'll answer it for you myself. I feel that over the last year the quality of product has degraded to a point of where i don't believe CCL is deserving of my hard earned money.

I spent $1700 for our stateroom(balcony, empress, starboard, aft) for both myself and my wife... with tip. Additionally we spent ~$700 on board on jewelry, 2 new watches, an excursion in nassau, and miscellaneous other items. we spent $100 in gas to drive from houston to new orleans and spent another $180(split between us and her mom who sailed in the cabin next to ours) for a hotel room/parking package.

it wasn't a "cheap" vacation, especially since i'm the only one between us who has a job at the moment, but it was something we both needed and we used it to celebrate her receiving her bachelors in december.

I think for the price we paid we would have been able to pull off a better vacation, but hindsight is 20/20.

Congratulations to your wife on her achivement. She should be proud and you deserve to celebrate. I look forward to reading the rest of the review

The Chocolate lunch was disappointing when we were on Conquest also. Actually Conquest was our least favorite cruise and that's saying a lot because on our 1st CCL cruise I suffered a severe heart attack that disabled me. We both hated the layout of the main corridor, after dinner it was almost impossible to navigate, We still had a good time because we cruised with an old military friend we hadn't seen in over 20 years but, we won't do a Conquest class ever again but we will do CCL again.

Pauls was a great deli, they made one of the best tasting Reubens I've ever had.

Even on the “chocolate lunch” day, the chocolate fountain was bland, as was nearly every sweet I tried that day. It seemed it was all sugar, no flavor. As I stated earlier, my personal favorites were the sushi, the fried rice, and the pizza. I had a hard time finding anything else I really liked, as did the rest of the people in our group. I will note, the deli made me a wonderful pastrami and corned beef sandwich, with mustard and swiss.

Twinkies have a freshness date stamped on the box. Heed it! I was cleaning out a cupboard last month and found an old, sealed box of Twinkies. It had a 2010 freshness date stamped on it. However, I too thought that Twinkies would last forever and tried them. YUCK!:eek: Believe the freshness dates!

"Death by twinkie" As Horatio Crane puts on the sunglasses.... :cool: Cue the CSI Miami music

Seriously?? Get over yourself! I'm glad you're never going to cruise with Carnival again....more room for me to enjoy my cruises!

No need to be rude even though you disagree with the OP's complaints. The OP has a right to their opinion. If this is the reaction that someone will get who is not "rah rah rah Carnival all the way" then I wouldn't want to cruise with them either.

We love Carnival but I can see what the OP is saying.

We are not hard to please or picky and we always have a great time on our cruises but we notice the steady decline over the years.

The chips and guacamole as a starter is just wrong. Why bother? I have never ordered it but it looked disgusting. It's almost an insult.

It's like they are saying " we'll put this on the menu, they'll eat anything"

We are going on the Spirit in March for the fourth time in a little over a year and if we have the same issues as we did on our Thanksgiving cruise, I think we will start booking other lines for a while.

Again, our opinion and not trying to persuade everyone to cancel their cruises with Carnival. Just speaking for ourselves.

I'm surprised any of us remember anything from that Spirit cruise.:p

I was fine with the menu. But I was eating what I knew to be good. The Indian & the babyback ribs. Chips, salsa and guacamole aren't necessarily a bad appetizer. But on Carnival these were an insult to any other chips, salsa & guac out there.

Doesn't guacamole literally translate into avocado sauce?

It is really unbelievable how one thread can cause such a stir.

I have been on Royal caribbean, Princess, Norwegian and Carnival....and you know what...we had a great time on all of them. A cruise is what you want it to be. We just returned from a New Years cruise on the Pride....and had a blast. Was everything perfect, no, but just think for a second or two about this.

We paid nearly $2400.00 for a balcony cabin which included tips, we only got to use it maybe 2 days because it was cold. We didn't do any tours, had some drinks and spent just an additional $260.00 total.

Where on the planet are you going to get lodging for 7 nights, all the food you can possibly eat, a show, no, nearly 2 shows every night and almost unlimited activities for $380 a couple. Not Disney World, Not Las Vegas, not any major city or any all inclusive resort for New Years Week. We could of went 2 weeks later and got the same for less, but we really didn't care.

Before you start to gripe about the quality, think about the quantity. You want quality, take a Crystal Cruise, you then have to take out a second mortgage to pay for that one!!!

I agree 100%! We live close to Myrtle Beach. Trust me, you cannot rent a condo for a week, purchase meals (much less snacks), and pay for entertainment for what a cruise will cost. My family has a condo in Myrtle Beach. In season, we rent it for $230 per night. That's $1610 for a seven night stay. We do not and I mean do not provide meals, snacks, free room service, movies on a big screen and entertainment!:D Soooo cruising, especially Carnival, is a great vacation bargain!:p

DH had the chips and salsa every single night as his appetizer. I couldn't believe it - they were the same tostitos and jarred sauce I had at home - which he wouldn't eat! When I asked him why he kept ordering them, he said "they were light, and that is what he wanted to eat - so mind my own business!" (said in a loving way!) And you know what - he is right. If you don't like them on the menu - don't order them. We don't like lobster- should it be off the menu? BTW- we paid more than the op paid for his balcony - times it by 2 for 2 cabins during a Christmas sailing. We know what we get when we use CCL, and still feel that - for us - it is good value for the money, and the food is acceptable considering the number of people they are catering to.

I'll answer it for you myself. I feel that over the last year the quality of product has degraded to a point of where i don't believe CCL is deserving of my hard earned money.

I spent $1700 for our stateroom(balcony, empress, starboard, aft) for both myself and my wife... with tip. Additionally we spent ~$700 on board on jewelry, 2 new watches, an excursion in nassau, and miscellaneous other items. we spent $100 in gas to drive from houston to new orleans and spent another $180(split between us and her mom who sailed in the cabin next to ours) for a hotel room/parking package.

it wasn't a "cheap" vacation, especially since i'm the only one between us who has a job at the moment, but it was something we both needed and we used it to celebrate her receiving her bachelors in december.

I think for the price we paid we would have been able to pull off a better vacation, but hindsight is 20/20.

I'm sorry OP that your cruise wasn't good. As hard as we all work for our money, spending what is a large amount for us on a vacation that is less than stellar sucks. :(

Everyone has different points of view and what may upset me about a cruise wouldn't bother you, and vice-versa. You feel you how feel, and nobody should be beating you over the head because of it.

I'm wondering if its just particular ships that are the issue, because I haven't experienced issues like this on our two previous cruises. We are new to cruising and new to Carnival also, but so far it has worked out ok for us. Has it been perfect? No. But compared to other vacations I have taken in the past (Florida, AI, Maine, etc) it has been very enjoyable overall.

Considering how full Carnival ships cruise week after week (even with the addition of three large ships) I don't see them making strides to go back to the old days. From what I have been reading, all the cruise lines are cutting back and reducing costs to increase profits.

If people are that upset at how Carnival is doing things (amazing what I have been reading on CC lately), it may be time for them to move on to another cruise line or another type of vacation. I know that if I became unhappy with how Carnival is doing things in the future, we will find another way to spend our vacation dollars. Right now, Carnival is the place we will do it. Their product is the right fit for us for now.

To be honest, Carnival wants high ratings for their cruiseline, but when people abandon Carnival, NCL or RCCL, someone else is always there to take the cabins available. They go on and don't even blink.

It is really unbelievable how one thread can cause such a stir.

I have been on Royal caribbean, Princess, Norwegian and Carnival....and you know what...we had a great time on all of them. A cruise is what you want it to be. We just returned from a New Years cruise on the Pride....and had a blast. Was everything perfect, no, but just think for a second or two about this.

We paid nearly $2400.00 for a balcony cabin which included tips, we only got to use it maybe 2 days because it was cold. We didn't do any tours, had some drinks and spent just an additional $260.00 total.

Where on the planet are you going to get lodging for 7 nights, all the food you can possibly eat, a show, no, nearly 2 shows every night and almost unlimited activities for $380 a couple. Not Disney World, Not Las Vegas, not any major city or any all inclusive resort for New Years Week. We could of went 2 weeks later and got the same for less, but we really didn't care.

Before you start to gripe about the quality, think about the quantity. You want quality, take a Crystal Cruise, you then have to take out a second mortgage to pay for that one!!!

I agree 100% with you.

The problem is that Carnival markets to the masses...and the masses cannot afford to cruise elsewhere.....yet, many have the expectations of "a cruise of a lifetime", complete with 5 star dining and servants at their beck and call.

It's these same people that don't get the economic concept....that the Carnival price has remained the same, yet their expenses have gone up.

If someone chooses a balcony, to buy watches and to take excursions....that's their choice. But, they'll get the same food and service as the person who books an inside lowest deck cabin.

The bottom line is that if you want an "upscale" experience....you have to pay more for it.....exclusive of personal extras.

Your not paying for gourmet food and over and above service with carnival. There prices havent changed barely at all in the last 10 years where the cost of all the food,fuel and wages have all gone up. Am average car price was $21k 10 years ago, now its $29k. I like to read reviews, but any reasonable person can understand that for the price Carnival and most other cruise lines still offer a very exceptional value for your vacation money. The food is mass quantity food made to serve 2000-4500 guests....how good do you really want it to be....me personally think Its just fine but I take it for what it is. I am not making excuses, but just kind of tired listening to people bitch about all the cutbacks, but nobody seems to bitch that the prices havent risen over the last 10 years...

Our first 5 cruises were on Carnival, RCI and Princess. I'm no expert on gourmet food but I'll say this much, the food was THE best food I've ever eaten anywhere in my life. Presentation was excellent, quality was excellent and service was excellent. The last 2 Carnival cruises I was on the food was barely passable and in fact 3 meals were unacceptable for various reasons. I was terribly disappointed that they would serve flat iron steak in the MDR; it was the worst cut of meat I've ever had in any restaurant anywhere. Cold food, soggy wet scrambled eggs, ice cold toast - the list goes on.

Carnival has reached a point where they have cut too far. They need to decide to either dip into their profits a bit and give people a better product or charge more. You hear more and more people complaining about this line and their cutbacks then any other line. You can read about RCI or Princess or NCL and people do complain about cutbacks but not to the extent they do here. So what happens is people (like me) who have cruised Carnival 5 times in the last 12 years say, "enough". time to take my money elsewhere until Carnival improves their product.

It is the advent of the specialty restaurants on all the cruise ships that has doomed the food in the MDR. You can still get great food on a cruise ship (CCL, RCI, NCL), but you have to pay extra for it. As a for profit company, it makes sense to offer average food in the MDR so that people are forced to pay more in the specialty venue. Pure business. It won't change until people, in sufficient numbers, refuse to cruise or spend the extra bucks.

As I have said before, it doesn't bother me. I'm not on cruise for the food. I won't go hungry and I'm in the Caribbean baby!!!!

It is the advent of the specialty restaurants on all the cruise ships that has doomed the food in the MDR. You can still get great food on a cruise ship (CCL, RCI, NCL), but you have to pay extra for it. As a for profit company, it makes sense to offer average food in the MDR so that people are forced to pay more in the specialty venue. Pure business. It won't change until people, in sufficient numbers, refuse to cruise or spend the extra bucks.

As I have said before, it doesn't bother me. I'm not on cruise for the food. I won't go hungry and I'm in the Caribbean baby!!!!

WOW! That is exactly how I feel. And I refuse to pay extra for food on a cruise because of this. Like you, I have never went hungry on any cruise. And given my culinary skills the food in the MDR is still better than what I am eating at home :p . I eat to live, not live to eat but to each their own.

I just went on my 8th Carnival cruise, so I do love Carnival, but I couldn't agree more about the chips and guacamole. The guacamole was more like avocado sauce and I would agree about the salsa too. To top it off, the chips were stale! I didn't believe my husband, so I had to taste them for myself. It was awful. We didn't order that again. In all fairness, there were some great things on the menu too! :)

Must be the "norm". Chips were stale on my last cruise as well!

You raise a good point and its one I've mentioned before. If Carnival is that serious about continuing to degrade MDR food (it sure appears apparent) then do away with the MDR all together. I'd like to see a new ship from Carnival that gives you two options for dinner - buffet or one of 6 or 7 specialty restaurants. The specialty restaurant food should be gourmet quality. That way if a customer chooses buffet style food then they can have it for the price included in their cruise fare otherwise they pay $25 or $30 for guaranteed gourmet quality food.

You raise a good point and its one I've mentioned before. If Carnival is that serious about continuing to degrade MDR food (it sure appears apparent) then do away with the MDR all together. I'd like to see a new ship from Carnival that gives you two options for dinner - buffet or one of 6 or 7 specialty restaurants. The specialty restaurant food should be gourmet quality. That way if a customer chooses buffet style food then they can have it for the price included in their cruise fare otherwise they pay $25 or $30 for guaranteed gourmet quality food.

I've never cruised with them, but I think that is what NCL offers. I guess you will find out in a few weeks. Have fun!

Archived