Favorite Caribbean Excursions?

cruiseapril

Our favorite Caribbean excursions are "no excursion." It is quite easy to get around any of the islands on our own whether it be by local bus, taxi, rental car, or our feet. The thought of being stuck with a group is enough to keep me on the ship (not a bad thing). Despite the fact that the various islands try to organize excursions and turn relatively routine places into "sites" the reality is that the Caribbean is about beautiful water, nice beaches, many good snorkeling places, and diving. In simple turns this is a part of the world that attracts folks for sun and sand....and you certainly do not need to spend the big bucks to go to a beach (or multiple beaches).

As to the islands, one of our least favorites is St Thomas which has become a high crime island with a main city (Charlotte Amalie) full of tacky jewelry stores and T shirt shops. There was a time when this city had many nice shops and boutiques, but most of thsoe have been replaced by touristy places. Our favorite islands would be the so-called ABC islands (Aruba, Curacao and Bonaire) and St Maarten. The best islands are probably St Barts and Anguilia (both near St Maarten) but these are not ports for mass market cruise ships (they would ruin these gorgeous islands). We also like visiting some of the relatively unspoiled British Virgin Islands (unlike the US Virgin Islands the Brits seem to keep crime well under control).

Hank

P.S. We expect to be flamed by many for being so negative about St Thomas....but it is the way it is! The 14 years old female cruise passenger who was shot and killed (last year) while near Coki Beach (a popular excursion destination) is just one symptom of the decline of this island.

The ABC islands are our favorites also.

We've been to Aruba and Curacao many times- do our own excursions now.

We like St. Thomas but are very concerned about the overcrowding now. In April, we didn't even consider going to town as there were so many ships in port. We did go to Magen's Bay Beach and the swimming was great- but the beach was full as compared to other times.

Next time in St. T., we are going over to Trunk Bay in St. John.

Hi- We are always looking for good excursions at the Caribbean ports.

What are some of your favorite excursions?

St. Martin, America's Cup Yacht Race

St. Thomas, Fury sailboat excursion and snorkeling

San Juan, Segway tour

Thanks for this thread, it made me remember many fun and exciting excursions. I guess three of the best we have ever done is like Marco said Trunk Bay on St Johns but not on a tour just grab the water taxi and go on your own, number two would be hand feeding sharks and our first scuba experience on Curaco years ago, and third would be Bio Luminecent Bay on San Juan if you can catch it on a moonless or cloudy night.

One of our most memorable ones was in Barbados. We did an "Echo Challenge":) Got to hike through rain forest and then the fun began. We put on helmets with lights and then propelled down a rope to a cave. We got to walk through the cave. We were very dirty by the end of the day, but it was well worth it. Lots of fun.

Hmmm, so many to choose from.

St. Maarten - America's Cup Yacht Race.

St Lucia - Land and Sea to Soufriere (half day touring the island followed by lunch and a catamaran sail back to the ship. 7.5 hours).

Grenada - anything that goes to Grand Anse beach.

St. Thomas - just take a taxi to Magen's Bay

St. Kitts and Nevis - catamaran sail and snorkel was fabulous.

For me, any excursion with the words "catamaran" and "snorkel" will be perfect.

I dont do a lot of excursions in the Caribbean but in Mexico (mainland) the Xscrat park is by far the best it so unique it is hard to tell you what it is but it's a Zoo,and theme park, underground river, great beach, ruins and much more I have recomended this to many friends and coworkers all loved it .(I think I spelled it wrong,Sorry is it Excrat) ether way it is great.there used to be some u tube vids if you want to look it up.

We loved the waterfalls/swimming in the gorge/hot springs tour we did in Dominica--one of the best ever.

We also enjoyed just going to Water Island (just off Charlotte Amalie, St. Thomas) on our own --take a water taxi--and spending time at a beautiful almost empty beach.

Dune buggies in Cozumel, cave-tubing in Belize, zip-lining in Costa Rica, Dunn's Falls and river tubing in Jamaica, Jolly Pirates in Aruba; all great fun.

But, sometimes we just like to walk around the town or find a nice beach.

Hi- We are always looking for good excursions at the Caribbean ports.

What are some of your favorite excursions?

Snorkeling is always nice (sea conditions permitting). A PADI discover SCUBA dive is even better. After touring too many wineries/breweries the rum distilleries are kind of a bust - except for Bacardi.

We read the port forums all the time, but it is interesting to read the individual answers to the question.

Nebr.- Water Island sounds fun- have not considered that before.

It was a great, relaxing day. We were docked right across from it; a short walk to where the water taxi was.

I think you could rent bikes if you wanted, or hike around the island, but we just walked up the pretty big hill and then down a very steep hill/road to the beach. Perhaps there were 10 or so people, total, water was clear and lovely, there was shade if you wanted it.

There was a portable lunch stand there (it's not always there) though we didn't use it. I thought it was really neat when a live-aboard type sailboat anchored off-shore and the people on it jumped in and swam ashore.

One of my favorite laid-back days on a gorgeous small beach. If I knew how to attach pics, I'd do it. I can never get it too work.

If I knew how to attach pics, I'd do it. I can never get it too work.

First thing to do is set up an account with Photobucket or Shutterfly (both are free).

After you upload your photos there, it is simple as copy from there and paste to your post here.

There is a photo gallery board on CC if you have any questions or are interested in photography.

First thing to do is set up an account with Photobucket or Shutterfly (both are free).

After you upload your photos there, it is simple as copy from there and paste to your post here.

There is a photo gallery board on CC if you have any questions or are interested in photography.

Yeah, I know--I use mostly Snapfish. Every time I try it says the file is too big. I've gone to great lengths to get the mp down, but nothing seems to work. I guess it's just me.

I'm going to try it again.

Yeah, I know--I use mostly Snapfish. Every time I try it says the file is too big. I've gone to great lengths to get the mp down, but nothing seems to work. I guess it's just me.

I'm going to try it again.

Hmmm. Never had that problem. Try the edit feature, and save the pic as a smaller file.

Archived