Attention Beards....it is time for drink cards for us common people, too!!

mjl1960

Maybe what they could do is offer prepaid package deals for set numbers of drinks such as $60 for ten drinks, $110 for 20 drinks. There could be some discounts built in because a certain number of people would forget to redeem a drink or two.

I realize there already are drink coupons available, but if I recall correctly they don't actually provide a discount, and they also seem like a PITA to carry around all week.

And these are the reason we are going to an all inclusive resort in the Caribbean this year rather than on a cruise...the costs other than the cruise fare run a lot for us. Our all inclusive (food, drinks, transportation to/from airport, and golf or tours), ocean front, adults-only, jacuzzi suite will cost us around $1,000 less for the two of us than our Victory cruise last year. And we are going in the summer when cruise fares are astronomical.

And these are the reason we are going to an all inclusive resort in the Caribbean this year rather than on a cruise...the costs other than the cruise fare run a lot for us. Our all inclusive (food, drinks, transportation to/from airport, and golf or tours), ocean front, adults-only, jacuzzi suite will cost us around $1,000 less for the two of us than our Victory cruise last year. And we are going in the summer when cruise fares are astronomical.

The advantages of a cruise without the sea sickness. Have a great time. :)

I just knew I would get flamed for even bringing this up... :) And that is okay. I would just like to see more options for the people that do drink, and want to drink. The people that don't drink shouldn't be affected...or maybe they should. Since I am paying so much for drinking on my cruises, and now being thanked for keeping their cruise prices down, maybe that is evidence enough that it isn't fair to be paying so much for drinking on a cruise? Why should I have to subsidize the non-drinkers just because I want to drink?

If you talk to the bar tenders on the ships, they will tell you that they prefer the shorter cruises because people will drink more on them than they will on say a 7 day or longer cruise. If that is true, then people might start off the cruise partying a little, but then let off after a day or so, because most people aren't used to it...so there goes the theory of having a "frat party" unless it really is spring break, then it don't matter anyway, they are going to party. There goes the theory that Carnival can't make a profit on the drink cards especially on the longer cruises.

I can afford my cruises, but just because I can afford my habits don't mean that I should have to pay a higher price to indulge in them. And maybe I do need to just look at maybe going to another cruise line to get what I am wanting. I like Carnival, enjoy the people that I meet both passengers and crew members, and I like getting up each morning in a different location, I won't get that if I do an all inclusive resort.

I am just asking to have the option to prepay and not have to worry about the end cost, whether I can afford it or not. Is that too much to ask for, especially if it won't adversely affect those that don't drink...unless of course it is true that the drinkers are subsidizing you, then it is about time you pay your fair share anyway?

The example of the person eating several entrees or deserts is a good one...and someone is paying for that...but then there are people that don't eat in the dining room at all, should they not have to pay for the dining room? Maybe those people are wasting a ton of food off the buffet, should I have to pay for their waste? We could go on all day long with these kinds of examples...what is really fair? But what I do know is that there is no way a bottle of beer costs even half of what they are charging for it, and they are probably getting a pretty hefty discount based on volume. Do they want repeat customers to keep coming back? Or do they want to leave them with a feeling of being gouged, just because they like to have a few drinks when they are off.

I don't get to drink when I am working, sometimes several months at a time, so when I go on my cruises, that is when I can relax and throw down a few. But I don't want to be taken advantage of.

The advantages of a cruise without the sea sickness. Have a great time. :)

Thanks so much! I can't wait. We will miss the open ocean but that's ok this time. We went to Maui in 2011 instead of a cruise. We saved about $3,000 :eek: compared to our Liberty cruise in 2010. Both trips included our kids which of course adds to the cost but really we saved a bundle taking a land vacation, even without the all inclusive option. Well we did take a catamaran trip on Maui so we did get to snorkel from a boat like we do on excurisons on cruises ;).

I agree let it be an option. Does anyone know how much Celebrity charges for their drink card?

Copied from the Celebrity Board.

Hi Meena,

The price is $ 44 US per day per person (PLUS 15% Tip) for the Classic Alcohol Package... and will cover beverages up to $ 8.00* as shown on any Celebrity Ship Bar / Restaurant Menu, and $ 54 US per day per person (PLUS 15% Tip) for the Premium Alcohol Package... will cover beverages up to $ 12.00*

*NOTE - Dailing prices work out to be the same for European Sailings, but the base price "per drink" are slightly different as UK sailings show the base amount with the tip included.

There is a glitch in Celebrity's Website (ooooh, how I wish they'd fix this) that if you order online it will calculate the 15% Tip twice on your order, BUT in actuality they only charge you once on your Credit Card. If you order onboard, this isn't an issue and your Ship Account will be billed for the Package.

You can order the package onboard when you arrive, or several days later, after you see what you are consuming... with an understanding that the package will be pro-rated.

Hope this is helpful,

Cheers!

About $350 or $430 per week per person depending on the package.

Us drinkers and gamblers have been keeping your cruise fares low since the the first cruise ship went in the water. I'd love to see an all inclusive cruise and don't really care if the fares go up. It would be great to see 90% of you complainers not be able to afford to cruise. :)

Imagine how fun the cruises would be without the prudes! I say bring it on!

Imagine how much fun the cruises would be without all the drunks! Some of us enjoy cruising without having to watch people puking in the hallways, or having to be carried to their cabins because of drinking in excess.

If not drinking makes me a prude, then I thank God every day I'm a prude.

Imagine how much fun the cruises would be without all the drunks! Some of us enjoy cruising without having to watch people puking in the hallways, or having to be carried to their cabins because of drinking in excess.

If not drinking makes me a prude, then I thank God every day I'm a prude.

Maybe I have been lucky, but I have not seen many people stumbling around totally drunk or puking their guts out on any of my cruises. Not to say that it don't happen, because I am sure it does, especially around spring break.

I also wouldn't call you a prude just because you don't drink, only if you were to judge those that do like to have a few now and then. I think I will leave that up to God.

If accurate, $700-$860 per week, per couple? No thank you.

Yea that is hefty! But then would you drink ALL 7 days?!?:eek: Like they already offer, prorate per days used. So maybe I use it for two of my seven days. $88 is not so hefty. about 1/3 of my last bill for a seven day on the Triumph. Don't want it, don't buy it. Just like your travel insurance, excursions, slot machine tounraments, beach towels, gold by the inch, bingo cards....:D. Dosen't mean it should not be offered....Or accepted.

If you've been on a cruise before (and even if you haven't), you easily know the average cost of an alcoholic drink on a ship and you know it's NOT included in your stateroom costs.

You mentioned getting a balcony for $799...

Did you know that it costs MILLIONS of dollars to fill up the extremely large gas tank on a cruise ship (and that fuel only lasts approx. 10 days of sailing.). So, let's say 1 million for fuel per 7 day sailing (which is probably low.) Of course, this doesn't include maintenance costs, paying the Cruise Director, entertainment staff, paying to fly in comedians and special performance acts, etc. It doesn't include the approx 500 million dollars spent just to build the ship (or the man hours to do so.)

It doesn't include the wages of the porters, the people that check you in for your cruise and that man the terminals. Or the electricity and rent for those terminals.

It doesn't include the hundreds of thousands of dollars spent to feed you and everyone else for the week voyage.

It doesn't include a gazillion other expenses that I won't type out including the fact that they have to PURCHASE the alcohol.

With the average cruiser spending about 500pp for a 7 day voyage - getting to go to 3-4 different ports of call, have all you can eat food around the clock, get pretty decent entertainment included plus lodging expenses, I'd say it's a great deal and to complain about all of the extra stuff that isn't included and that will sneak up on you is in my opinion, childish.

Don't want to spend over a certain dollar amount? Set a budget for yourself and hold yourself accountable for it. Want to only spend $400 on your 7 day voyage for alcohol? Set a budget of $57.14 per day for yourself. If you go over it on one day, spend less the next. Addicted to drinking? The ship has friends of Bill W. meetings almost daily :D Sorry, couldn't resist.

I don't drink alcohol but in addition to my basic cruise fare, I always spend at least 2k additional on shore excursions, photos, specialty dining, etc.

I LOVE excursions. If I can't afford them or they're out of my budget, I don't go on them. Or I do and cut back on other things in the budget. If it's not in the budget, I don't get mad at Carnival for it. I wouldn't expect Carnival to give me a pass for $300 that would let me go on as many excursions as I wanted for the week. They'd go broke.

And let's not pretend like the prices for the alcohol are really that much on board. Perhaps I am jaded by where I live but every time I visit Miami and go to a nightclub and my gf wants a drink, I KNOW I am going to have to suck up the $20 cost for a glass almost no bigger than a shot glass. That's the price of going to a night club in Miami. Oh and the $30-$50 door charge to get into the "good" clubs doesn't include a drink pass.

Want to stumble from your room at the Hilton down to that amazing oval bar with the band playing for some drinks? Think you can have them free because you have a room there? Think again. Although some of them do a 1 hour happy hour where you can have a certain list of drinks (the cheap ones) for free for an hour but with the busy bartender, you may only get 1 or 2.

If they lose money on alcohol, they'll raise the fares. Do I want to pay for you or anyone else to drink? No. Do I think you should have to pay for me to have free bingo tickets or for me to go on the most amazing, most expensive shore excursions? No.

If they can roll out a pass that will make them money, then great. But to expect it, to let it sour the taste in your mouth... especially with your cruising history makes zero sense to me. You act surprised yet it's impossible for you to be surprised based on your cruise count with Carnival.

I am sorry if my honesty makes you feel like I am attacking you. In reality, I am giving some perspective. There are things we all want in life and hate how much it costs. Would I love an airline to give me a free 5 star hotel stay at my destination for flying with them? Absolutely! Will I stop flying with them or complain about them if they don't? Ummm not hardly...

Us drinkers and gamblers have been keeping your cruise fares low since the the first cruise ship went in the water. I'd love to see an all inclusive cruise and don't really care if the fares go up. It would be great to see 90% of you complainers not be able to afford to cruise. :)

Imagine how fun the cruises would be without the prudes! I say bring it on!

Full of ourselves much? I believe that on my 7 day cruise, 4 days of which are ports of call days - that my expensively booked shore excursions are helping keep those costs down since the cruise lines make a large profit margin off of these and buy them in bulk.

I believe that purchase of Spa Passes and waaaay overpriced 8x10 photos (for the quality) are helping to keep YOUR cruise costs down.

Since I used to work in a bar and since I am a photographer, let's break this down.

At wholesale prices, a bar pays on average $25 for a fifth of liquor. Approx. 17 shots in a fifth. (Approx. 1.50 per drink) If each drink costs 7 bucks minus the 1.50, you're left with 5.50. But all of that isn't profit since there are costs for mixes, water bills to clean glasses, replacing broken glasses, cost for napkins, straws, etc which are all given with drink. Profit may be approx. 4.50 per drink.

8x10 photo - cost to print including paper, ink, maintenance breaks down to about 15 cents per photo. Profit for their 8x10 photos ... nearly 20 bucks.

For every 1 photo, someone has to buy 4 drinks. Are more drinks bought than photos? Absolutely. However, I think we're about "quid pro quo" on this category alone.

Do I think I paid for your lower cruise fare prices though? No... guess I just don't have that sense of self entitlement. Sigh.... if only I could aspire to that greatness....

Oh and a "prude" by definition is: a person who affects or shows an excessively modest, prim, or proper attitude, esp regarding sex

Have an awesome day :-)

Do they want repeat customers to keep coming back? Or do they want to leave them with a feeling of being gouged, just because they like to have a few drinks when they are off.

I don't get to drink when I am working, sometimes several months at a time, so when I go on my cruises, that is when I can relax and throw down a few. But I don't want to be taken advantage of.

They sail full so I'm sure they don't care that much about "repeat customers" (and actually there are several long time CCL cruisers on this board who are upset because of the changes that CCL has made and CCL does not care that they are upset). If you don't want to be taken advantage of then stay at home and make your own drinks;). They charge what can do for everything because people are willing to pay it. If people stopped buying drinks then they would lower the prices.

Copied from the Celebrity Board.

About $350 or $430 per week per person depending on the package.

OP, if you are now spending $1000 on a bar bill do you really think CCL would offer you a card that costs $400? If I were a stockholder and they were to do something like that I'd sell my stock;).

The bottom line is that developing a budget and sticking to it sucks, but it's how we make it through life (unless we are a government:)).

Perhaps an alternative to your "drink card" would be a punch card similar to the type that certain businesses have. I'm sure you've seen them. Buy ten car washes, get one free. Get ten haircuts and your next one is free. Maybe Carnival could have something similar. Buy six beers, get one free. Oh wait, that won't work, because people that buy soda cards would want the same offer. Without raising prices somewhere else, the cruise line would lose money on giving out all of those free beers and Cokes. Hey, here's an idea! Rather than complain about not having a drink card for alcohol, why not put $xx.00 on your Sign&Sail account (after embarkation) that would be specifically for booze? Sort of pre-pay your bar tab. Then drink like a fish until the money is gone. While I agree that buying an alcoholic beverage on a cruise ship is not cheap, drinks at a land-based nightclub aren't cheap either. So either accept the price and buy the booze without complaing, or drink water (it's FREE!).

ATTN BEARDS AT CARNIVAL!!! It is way over due to have a drink card for everyone, not just those large groups. It really sucks paying $799 pp for a balcony for a week, and then having no idea that by the time your done, that $799 cabin pp really is going to cost you more like $1600 by the time you add on drinks, soda card, and excursions (oh yeah and those taxes). And that is not even considering the air fare for those of us that don't live near the port and have to fly in, or the hotels and ground transportation. I for one am going to start looking very seriously at the cruise lines that do have the all inclusive drinks included up front. I would rather know going in that I am going to pay $1000 more for my cabin for two people and not have to worry about the cost of drinks every time I order one at a bar or at dinner.

Buy a calculator, it's pretty easy to add it all up.

Go ahead and look into an all inclusive cruise, there are not many of them, and they will be WAY more than +$1000 what you are paying on CCL right now....

We had the drink package in December with a group. Our balcony and open bar card came out to roughly $1,000 per person for seven days. I don't think that was outrageous. There was no contemplating if we could "afford" a drink like other people were doing. No worrying about bottled water (ship water was nasty). No one from our group got out of hand (ages 29-50). It was a great time and I don't think I'd ever do a cruise without it.

ATTN BEARDS AT CARNIVAL!!! It is way over due to have a drink card for everyone, not just those large groups. It really sucks paying $799 pp for a balcony for a week, and then having no idea that by the time your done, that $799 cabin pp really is going to cost you more like $1600 by the time you add on drinks, soda card, and excursions (oh yeah and those taxes). And that is not even considering the air fare for those of us that don't live near the port and have to fly in, or the hotels and ground transportation. I for one am going to start looking very seriously at the cruise lines that do have the all inclusive drinks included up front. I would rather know going in that I am going to pay $1000 more for my cabin for two people and not have to worry about the cost of drinks every time I order one at a bar or at dinner.

Carnival already has this on their sister ship Seabourn, they run about $5000 per person per week, so go for it!

I just knew I would get flamed for even bringing this up... :) And that is okay. I would just like to see more options for the people that do drink, and want to drink. Agreed, computer simulations allow them to run endless scenarios - something has to make sense once in a while.The people that don't drink shouldn't be affected...or maybe they should. Since I am paying so much for drinking on my cruises, and now being thanked for keeping their cruise prices down, maybe that is evidence enough that it isn't fair to be paying so much for drinking on a cruise? Why should I have to subsidize the non-drinkers just because I want to drink?Law of averages my friend, the "wills" and the "will nots" have to balance to make a profit, you just fall on the "wrong" side of the equation.

I can afford my cruises, but just because I can afford my habits don't mean that I should have to pay a higher price to indulge in them. And maybe I do need to just look at maybe going to another cruise line to get what I am wanting. I like Carnival, enjoy the people that I meet both passengers and crew members, and I like getting up each morning in a different location, I won't get that if I do an all inclusive resort.

I am just asking to have the option to prepay and not have to worry about the end cost, whether I can afford it or not. Can't you prepay with cash your ship card, if so then do that and when it runs dry, so do you. Is that too much to ask for, especially if it won't adversely affect those that don't drink...unless of course it is true that the drinkers are subsidizing you, then it is about time you pay your fair share anyway? I don't drink enough to care about your situation, but I do like excursions at every port, and I book through the ship because I don't cruise enough to feel comfortable booking myself and dealing with schedule/missed port headaches. I'm pretty sure I pay a hefty premium doing so, when I do compare to self-booked excursions, so when I book an excursion, I'm pretty sure I'm subsidizing somebody that bought their own. And like Italianfemmy said, if I buy a picture I'm paying for those that don't buy any.

The example of the person eating several entrees or deserts is a good one...and someone is paying for that...but then there are people that don't eat in the dining room at all, should they not have to pay for the dining room? Maybe those people are wasting a ton of food off the buffet, should I have to pay for their waste? We could go on all day long with these kinds of examples...what is really fair? But what I do know is that there is no way a bottle of beer costs even half of what they are charging for it, and they are probably getting a pretty hefty discount based on volume. Do they want repeat customers to keep coming back? Or do they want to leave them with a feeling of being gouged, just because they like to have a few drinks when they are off.Yes, we can quote examples until we're blue in the face, but my comparo is this: Stepping back and doing the math, how much do you think it would really cost to: Put your happy butt in a decent room that is cleaned multiple times/day, feed you three times a day, and drag you to a new location every day, etc. etc. Betcha more than $100/day. A "few drinks" at a resort cost the same as what CCL charges - you seem to be talking more about substantial drinking on a professional scale.

I don't get to drink when I am working, sometimes several months at a time, so when I go on my cruises, that is when I can relax and throw down a few. But I don't want to be taken advantage of.I don't explore caves, scuba dive, or climb ruins when I am working, so I do when I cruise. I understand I have to budget for what I want to do. We just pick our poisons - you picked yours and I picked mine.

I don't think your being flamed, you asked for comment and seems pretty civil... my .02

Make a Business Case.

Obviously someone was able to examine the Celebrity passenger demographic and come up with a price point for an all-inclusive card that either increased overall bar revenue or was revenue neutral, while attracting new business.

Making things cheaper for the customer, whilst decreasing overall profit is never an attractive option for a business.

If you've been on a cruise before (and even if you haven't), you easily know the average cost of an alcoholic drink on a ship and you know it's NOT included in your stateroom costs.

You mentioned getting a balcony for $799...

Did you know that it costs MILLIONS of dollars to fill up the extremely large gas tank on a cruise ship (and that fuel only lasts approx. 10 days of sailing.). So, let's say 1 million for fuel per 7 day sailing (which is probably low.) Of course, this doesn't include maintenance costs, paying the Cruise Director, entertainment staff, paying to fly in comedians and special performance acts, etc. It doesn't include the approx 500 million dollars spent just to build the ship (or the man hours to do so.)

It doesn't include the wages of the porters, the people that check you in for your cruise and that man the terminals. Or the electricity and rent for those terminals.

It doesn't include the hundreds of thousands of dollars spent to feed you and everyone else for the week voyage.

It doesn't include a gazillion other expenses that I won't type out including the fact that they have to PURCHASE the alcohol.

With the average cruiser spending about 500pp for a 7 day voyage - getting to go to 3-4 different ports of call, have all you can eat food around the clock, get pretty decent entertainment included plus lodging expenses, I'd say it's a great deal and to complain about all of the extra stuff that isn't included and that will sneak up on you is in my opinion, childish.

Don't want to spend over a certain dollar amount? Set a budget for yourself and hold yourself accountable for it. Want to only spend $400 on your 7 day voyage for alcohol? Set a budget of $57.14 per day for yourself. If you go over it on one day, spend less the next. Addicted to drinking? The ship has friends of Bill W. meetings almost daily :D Sorry, couldn't resist.

I don't drink alcohol but in addition to my basic cruise fare, I always spend at least 2k additional on shore excursions, photos, specialty dining, etc.

I LOVE excursions. If I can't afford them or they're out of my budget, I don't go on them. Or I do and cut back on other things in the budget. If it's not in the budget, I don't get mad at Carnival for it. I wouldn't expect Carnival to give me a pass for $300 that would let me go on as many excursions as I wanted for the week. They'd go broke.

And let's not pretend like the prices for the alcohol are really that much on board. Perhaps I am jaded by where I live but every time I visit Miami and go to a nightclub and my gf wants a drink, I KNOW I am going to have to suck up the $20 cost for a glass almost no bigger than a shot glass. That's the price of going to a night club in Miami. Oh and the $30-$50 door charge to get into the "good" clubs doesn't include a drink pass.

Want to stumble from your room at the Hilton down to that amazing oval bar with the band playing for some drinks? Think you can have them free because you have a room there? Think again. Although some of them do a 1 hour happy hour where you can have a certain list of drinks (the cheap ones) for free for an hour but with the busy bartender, you may only get 1 or 2.

If they lose money on alcohol, they'll raise the fares. Do I want to pay for you or anyone else to drink? No. Do I think you should have to pay for me to have free bingo tickets or for me to go on the most amazing, most expensive shore excursions? No.

If they can roll out a pass that will make them money, then great. But to expect it, to let it sour the taste in your mouth... especially with your cruising history makes zero sense to me. You act surprised yet it's impossible for you to be surprised based on your cruise count with Carnival.

I am sorry if my honesty makes you feel like I am attacking you. In reality, I am giving some perspective. There are things we all want in life and hate how much it costs. Would I love an airline to give me a free 5 star hotel stay at my destination for flying with them? Absolutely! Will I stop flying with them or complain about them if they don't? Ummm not hardly...

Bravo and well said.

JH asked this question on his page just last week.. and got 529 replies.. said he sent around 300 replies to the beards... guess its a wait and see now...:rolleyes:

I knew I saw this issue somewhere. I was one of the 529 replies on John's blog and requested a package offering be made available. :D

Yea that is hefty! But then would you drink ALL 7 days?!?:eek: Like they already offer, prorate per days used. So maybe I use it for two of my seven days. $88 is not so hefty. about 1/3 of my last bill for a seven day on the Triumph. Don't want it, don't buy it. Just like your travel insurance, excursions, slot machine tounraments, beach towels, gold by the inch, bingo cards....:D. Dosen't mean it should not be offered....Or accepted.

Once you buy any drink package on Celebrity it goes from that day until end of cruise. You do not get to pick just any two days during a 7 day cruise.

You can also do a stateroom bar set up but it is a little more costly than the Bon Voyage on Carnival.

Since I am not a drinker, an unlimited beverage package dcoesn't interest me in the least bit. I also do not see why my cruise fees should be higher because many like to drink. I do not condemn you for your pleasure but it also should be your cost, not mine.

I do not ask you to pay for my excursions, the Steakhouse or the Chef's Table why should I pay for your drinking?

I agree let it be an option. Does anyone know how much Celebrity charges for their drink card?

Celebrity has two Drink Packages

The Classic comes out to about $50 per day

The Premium is $62 per day

I recently was on the Millennium for a 5 day cruise/western Carib

I pre-purchased the Premium Package because I could include Top SHelf Martinis, which is my drink of choice

Honestly I paid $425 for the cruise...Inside Solo...or $85 per day(150% not double)

The Drink Package was almost as much as the Cruise. Some of my friends thought I was crazy:eek:

This was an R&R cruise...I never got off the ship...been there done that ;) Spent 2 days in the Spa getting pampered :D with a Vitamin Water (incl)

Each morning I began the day in the Cova Cafe with a Cappacino (no booze) and an almond criossant (Cappacino's are $4)

Followed by a Mimosa or Sea Breeze fruity drink with breakfast

Bottled water throughout the day

Frozen Concoctions by the pool (made with Top Shelf of course...ie Silver Patron & Grand Manier Margarita)

Vitamin Water at the spa

Maybe a beer with lunch

*****NAP*******

Martini(s) before dinner...had the opportunity to try Vodkas I had not even heard of that were exceptional

Wine paired with each course at dinner

San Pellegrino with dinner

a couple cocktails wondering the venues after dinner

Courvassier before bed

Did I accomplish my goal of ultimate R & R?....you betcha!!!:D

Was I ever a crazed drunk?.....absolutley not

Did the Drink Package work for me? ABSOLUTELY AND I WOULD PAY THE EXTRA AGAIN!

I DO NOT understand why those who don't want to use this feature fight so hard against it. It's an OPTION folks...if its not for you its KOOL!! but why is it such a strong fight to keep those who WANT to pay the additional $$$ for their OPTION

Drunks are drunks...all inclusive or not Thats what security is for

On the Destiny in April...I called security because of drunks down the hall with at least 20 people, boom box and insanity...It was handled promptly by Security who even followed up with 2 phone calls to let me know if it started back up, just call them...No Drink Package required here.

I think it was a great option and would love to see all cruise lines offer the Option of making my cruise all inclusive, by My Choice:p

JMHO:cool:

Archived