Attention Beards....it is time for drink cards for us common people, too!!

mjl1960

Celebrity has two Drink Packages

The Classic comes out to about $50 per day

The Premium is $62 per day

I recently was on the Millennium for a 5 day cruise/western Carib

I pre-purchased the Premium Package because I could include Top SHelf Martinis, which is my drink of choice

Honestly I paid $425 for the cruise...Inside Solo...or $85 per day(150% not double)

The Drink Package was almost as much as the Cruise. Some of my friends thought I was crazy:eek:

This was an R&R cruise...I never got off the ship...been there done that Spent 2 days in the Spa getting pampered :D with a Vitamin Water (incl)

Each morning I began the day in the Cova Cafe with a Cappacino (no booze) and an almond criossant (Cappacino's are $4)

Followed by a Mimosa or Sea Breeze fruity drink with breakfast

Bottled water throughout the day

Frozen Concoctions by the pool (made with Top Shelf of course...ie Silver Patron & Grand Manier Margarita)

Vitamin Water at the spa

Maybe a beer with lunch

*****NAP*******

Martini(s) before dinner...had the opportunity to try Vodkas I had not even heard of that were exceptional

Wine paired with each course at dinner

San Pellegrino with dinner

a couple cocktails wondering the venues after dinner

Courvassier before bed

Did I accomplish my goal of ultimate R & R?....you betcha!!!:D

Was I ever a crazed drunk?.....absolutley not

Did the Drink Package work for me? ABSOLUTELY AND I WOULD PAY THE EXTRA AGAIN!

I DO NOT understand why those who don't want to use this feature fight so hard against it. It's an OPTION folks...if its not for you its KOOL!! but why is it such a strong fight to keep those who WANT to pay the additional $$$ for their OPTION

Drunks are drunks...all inclusive or not Thats what security is for

On the Destiny in April...I called security because of drunks down the hall with at least 20 people, boom box and insanity...It was handled promptly by Security who even followed up with 2 phone calls to let me know if it started back up, just call them...No Drink Package required here.

I think it was a great option and would love to see all cruise lines offer the Option of making my cruise all inclusive, by My Choice:p

JMHO:cool:

You go girl! That all sounds good to me. :)

Not necessarily, Don, if they had a drink package you could purchase, I am sure that people would drink more...but not a lot more probably. I like my bud lite, but I limit it to the evenings on the cruises because of the costs, but if I didn't have to worry about it, I could drink them most of the day, then drink mixed drinks in the clubs at night. It would be an option, like the soda card, for some people it would be worth the cost, some it isn't. It would be up to each person to make that decision for themselves...I am just asking for the option to be offered, which at this point it is but only to large groups, and only if everyone in the group takes it.

I know that Carnival makes a lot of money off half the people that buy the soda card, and I am sure the same would be true on the drink card. I just don't like feeling the ching ching every time I hand them my card during the cruise. If it was prepaid, I wouldn't give it another thought.

I sorta agree, but I think it should be required all adults in the cabin have a card, if any want it. Otherwise it would get abused, just like the soda card does. I know the soda card does, because I get on every cruise, and I get my DW a few drinks off my card every cruise.

But I do think the Idea is good, just make it for the average cabin, not just a large group.

I also think they should let you buy "excursion" dollars in advance, that way you could decide what you want to do when you get on the ship, and it is already paid for, or at least in part paid for.

Celebrity has two Drink Packages

The Classic comes out to about $50 per day

The Premium is $62 per day

I recently was on the Millennium for a 5 day cruise/western Carib

I pre-purchased the Premium Package because I could include Top SHelf Martinis, which is my drink of choice

Honestly I paid $425 for the cruise...Inside Solo...or $85 per day(150% not double)

The Drink Package was almost as much as the Cruise. Some of my friends thought I was crazy:eek:

This was an R&R cruise...I never got off the ship...been there done that ;) Spent 2 days in the Spa getting pampered :D with a Vitamin Water (incl)

Each morning I began the day in the Cova Cafe with a Cappacino (no booze) and an almond criossant (Cappacino's are $4)

Followed by a Mimosa or Sea Breeze fruity drink with breakfast

Bottled water throughout the day

Frozen Concoctions by the pool (made with Top Shelf of course...ie Silver Patron & Grand Manier Margarita)

Vitamin Water at the spa

Maybe a beer with lunch

*****NAP*******

Martini(s) before dinner...had the opportunity to try Vodkas I had not even heard of that were exceptional

Wine paired with each course at dinner

San Pellegrino with dinner

a couple cocktails wondering the venues after dinner

Courvassier before bed

Did I accomplish my goal of ultimate R & R?....you betcha!!!:D

Was I ever a crazed drunk?.....absolutley not

Did the Drink Package work for me? ABSOLUTELY AND I WOULD PAY THE EXTRA AGAIN!

I DO NOT understand why those who don't want to use this feature fight so hard against it. It's an OPTION folks...if its not for you its KOOL!! but why is it such a strong fight to keep those who WANT to pay the additional $$$ for their OPTION

Drunks are drunks...all inclusive or not Thats what security is for

On the Destiny in April...I called security because of drunks down the hall with at least 20 people, boom box and insanity...It was handled promptly by Security who even followed up with 2 phone calls to let me know if it started back up, just call them...No Drink Package required here.

I think it was a great option and would love to see all cruise lines offer the Option of making my cruise all inclusive, by My Choice:p

JMHO:cool:

Now that sounds like my kind of vacation!!

ATTN BEARDS AT CARNIVAL!!! It is way over due to have a drink card for everyone, not just those large groups. It really sucks paying $799 pp for a balcony for a week, and then having no idea that by the time your done, that $799 cabin pp really is going to cost you more like $1600 by the time you add on drinks, soda card, and excursions (oh yeah and those taxes). And that is not even considering the air fare for those of us that don't live near the port and have to fly in, or the hotels and ground transportation. I for one am going to start looking very seriously at the cruise lines that do have the all inclusive drinks included up front. I would rather know going in that I am going to pay $1000 more for my cabin for two people and not have to worry about the cost of drinks every time I order one at a bar or at dinner.

Just order a bottle and have it waiting in your cabin -

Listen, you have to look at it as CCL as a business, not as a buddy trying to help you out.

If CCL DID do an all inclusive card, it would do so in a way that made CCL as much $ as before, if not more. Than means that some people would get their money's worth, some would pay more than they would have paid buying drinks piecemeal, and a few outlayers would come up on top and save money(by drinking a ton). But either way, CCL would not do it in a way that would lose them money, because then why do it?

I guess my point is, if you drink enough to make it worthwhile, good for you. But it's gonna cost you. CCL isn't going to implement a card program that would take $ out of their pocket.....that just doesn't make business sense.

Copied from the Celebrity Board.

About $350 or $430 per week per person depending on the package.

To be fair that also includes, coffee (fancy non-free), soda, bottled water, beer, wine, alcohol. We did this on a celebrity cruise recently. When we got back I calculated everything I had drank - daily - 2 coffees, 1 or 2 beers, soda, wine at dinner, and a cocktail while waiting on the wife shopping. I came within a few of the cost of the card. So I lost a little money, but I pre-paid it, didn't have to sign slips, or worry about any running totals. For people that are going to drink on the cruise, I believe, it's a great deal.

I'm going on a Carnival cruise in July with an open bar card. It's my second time (first was on the EPIC last March) and it was well worth it IMO. No watching how much you spend or unexpected huge bill at the end of the cruise. :D

I'm going on a Carnival cruise in July with an open bar card. It's my second time (first was on the EPIC last March) and it was well worth it IMO. No watching how much you spend or unexpected huge bill at the end of the cruise. :D

You sign a receipt for every drink you purchase, therefore, your bill shouldn't be unexpectedly huge. Keep your receipts, balance back to the TV (if you have that functionality on your ship) or get a print out of your charges from the Purser's Desk.

You sign a receipt for every drink you purchase, therefore, your bill shouldn't be unexpectedly huge. Keep your receipts, balance back to the TV (if you have that functionality on your ship) or get a print out of your charges from the Purser's Desk.

I tend not to watch or worry about what I'm spending while I'm on vacation. It takes the fun out of vacation worry about keeping track of what I'm spending. Therefore, yes it is unexpected and well worth it for me.

My two cents: Someone mentioned if you are staying at the Hilton & go to the bar the drinks are expensive. At the Hilton they don't search your bags & confiscate any booze. You can have a drink in your own room without paying bar prices. At least you have the option.

However those of us who don't drink do not want to pay an increased amount for those of you who do :)

How about those of us without kids don't want to pay for the kids club for those with kids. Those of us that dont go to the shows, dont want to pay for that for you those that do. those of us that dont use use the germ infested pools and hot tubs to pay for those that use them too..... its all relative to what we want to pay for or not..... and those of us that dont practice gluttony to pay for the 2-3 entrees in the MDR and heaping plates of food int he buffet...... whats your point.....???? Everyone on the cruise has different priorities and likes.

What kills me is that they add a 15% gratuity on each drink, then look at you with cursed eyes when you don't add a dollar or two to the tip line. Oh, and if you don't add the extra tip on top of the tip, you will get ice, water and a "splash" of whatever you ordered. :mad::mad::mad:

I just plan for $100 a day per person when I book my cruise, yes, that's after pre-paid tips and excusions, if I come home with money, GREAT, if I spend what I planned, terrific, I just wish there was a drink package for Budweiser so my hubby would get off my BV Absolut. $5 + dollars a bottle drives him nuts.

I thought Carnival didn't have the open bar card. Did I miss something?

They still have one but not widely allowed. Currently it is only allowed for affinity groups (business functions). Three are minimum numbers of people (may be a max as well, but I don't know it if there is) and everyone in the group must participate. RCCL rolled out on last year as a trial and quickly pulled it back.

Actually 30 is the minimum group size, not three.
I did not see where someone had posted the minimum count as three, but you are correct it is thirty, and it is adults only toward the count, not people in your cabin (read that as minor, as in your children).

We drank close to $1500 so it was totally worth it for us.

We drank $200 in bottled water alone!

Wow! Love you LOVE YOU!

Thanks to people who consume the amounts you do

Carnival gets to subsidise the higher cost of fuel, these last two years

and not go the fuel surcharge route instead! ;)

Brilliant! Works for me!

Archived