Costa Concordia SINKING

ItalianGuest

Well, with bad weather moving in the area this evening:

She may well go under.

I've been wondering why they can't position two or three tug boats up against her to keep her pushed up on the ledge and prevent her from sliding down into the sea. Would that not work?

I've been wondering why they can't position two or three tug boats up against her to keep her pushed up on the ledge and prevent her from sliding down into the sea. Would that not work?

We all the know the words of Archimedes (with a large enough lever we could move the World)...

I'm afraid in this case a few tugs is simply not enough "lever". The force of the water is not to be underestimated. It's continuous and ever changing. The points the ship is resting upon is also similar with continually changing dynamics. These unknowns make it very difficult to stabilize such a large vessel in a precarious position. Even if the force were strong enough for temporary hold there's no guarantee that she's structurally sound enough to stay in one piece.

The stress(es) must be terrific as well. I'm sure the insides are full of moans and groans of a structure under high duress. Hydrophone equipped ROVs would capture this fairly well under survey.

Cheers,

Norman

So how many different legal proceedings will flow from this disaster? I'm sure my list will be very incomplete:

*inquests on the sadly deceased, both in Italy and other counries

*criminal trials of Schettino and any others accused of ilegality in this event

*possible corporate manslaughter trial facing Cost Cruise Company if found to be complicit (Is there an offence of corporate mansalughter in Italy?)

* A Marine Investigation Inquiry of some kind, ordered by the Italian government

* individual Civil actions for compensation brought by victims and their families (crew and passengers, others?)

*class actions for compensation (notwithstanding any prohibitions built into contacts entered into by crew an passengers.... with more than 4,000 individuals involved class actions seem inevitable?)

* civil action for compensation brought by Giglio township

*civil action for compensation brought by environmental agencies

* law suits arising from conflicts between any of the parties involved in 'mopping up' all these consequences.....salvage companies, haulage companies, etc

* legal representation at Carnival's own enquiry

I guess there will be many other kinds of action? So, the only silver lining in this darkest of clouds is that many lawyers will be rubbing their hands together at the thought of the high fees to come as all this plays out.

Are we allowed to carry those onto a ship? How about those fabulous multi-tools?

I pack the swiss army knife in checked luggage. When returning to the ship in port, I just put the whole vest thru the xray and no one has ever questioned the Swiss Army knife.

Your idea of a multi-tool is a good one but the Swiss Army Knife has a cork screw which I've used many times ashore :D

I found another link, more direct for the Live Streaming video of the Rescue Coverage provided by Aftonbladet Sweden !!

There appear to be all kinds of media there, with their cameras. So I imagine it is outside of a courthouse or an attorney's office. Not sure though....

Here is the link (right now all I see are people milling around in front of some doors. Not sure where they are. http://mypress.se/2012/01/17/costa-concrodia-giglioitaly-live-coverage-rescue-video/

Joanie

So how many different legal proceedings will flow from this disaster? I'm sure my list will be very incomplete:

*possible corporate manslaughter trial facing Cost Cruise Company if found to be complicit (Is there an offence of corporate mansalughter in Italy?)

* A Marine Investigation Inquiry of some kind, ordered by the Italian government

* individual Civil actions for compensation brought by victims and their families (crew and passengers, others?)

*class actions for compensation (notwithstanding any prohibitions built into contacts entered into by crew an passengers.... with more than 4,000 individuals involved class actions seem inevitable?)

* law suits arising from conflicts between any of the parties involved in 'mopping up' all these consequences.....salvage companies, haulage companies, etc

I guess there will be many other kinds of action? So, the only silver lining in this darkest of clouds is that many lawyers will be rubbing their hands together at the thought of the high fees to come as all this plays out.

Yes indeed. Soooo much legal work. Some of it could last 20 years. I love it :D

If it turns out that anyone finagled with insurance coverage, premiums, or payouts, I may have to come out of retirement to make some "walkin around chump change" to augment my retirement funds and pension. :rolleyes:

See there is an upside to this tawdry "affair" (alleged). My profession is "rarin" to go.........YES :p

One whole week since this dreadful disaster and still not everyone is accounted for. My heartfelt thoughts go to all those still waiting to hear news about their loved ones. So very very sad.

YES! Very sad. The search has been delayed again. Bad weather coming to this area. See more below.

From the New York Times this morning, they have this headline: "A Hyperbolic Tale of Two Captains, One a Hero, the Other a Villain" by their correspondent in Rome with these highlights: "In Gregorio Maria De Falco, the until recently unknown head of operations at the Port Authority in the Tuscan coastal city of Livorno, Italy found itself not just a national hero, but the anointed foil to Capt. Francesco Schettino, the reckless and apparently cowardly captain of the cruise ship Costa Concordia. Easily adapting to the national propensity for dualism, Italians have got themselves a hero to play against their antihero, a champion to their villain. Though knowledge of the personalities of the two men is perfunctory at best, the Italian news media easily tagged them as distinctive Italian stereotypes: Captain Schettino as the flashy daredevil and rule-breaker; Captain De Falco as the upholder of duty and respectability, who is often overlooked in a nation easily taken in by more boisterous — and usually sneaky — behavior." Interesting summary item on how these tragedy is playing in Italy.

From the AP newswire within the past 15 minutes, they have this headline: "Grounded ship shifts overnight, rescue ops halted" with these highlights: "The cruise ship grounded off Tuscany shifted again on its rocky perch Friday, forcing the supension of diving search operations for the 21 people still missing and raising concerns about the stability of the ship's resting place. It was not clear if the slight movements registered by sensors placed on board the Costa Concordia were just vibrations as the ship settles on the rocks off the Tuscan island of Giglio or if the massive ocean liner is slowly slipping off the reef."

From the below newspaper in Australia, they have this headline "Ship's captain 'drinking with dancer on night of tragedy' " with more details and questions on what the Captain was or was not doing that evening. The 25-year-old former ballet student in Paris who is from Moldova, believes the Captain was a "hero". Other passengers on the ship are quoted on what the observed of the Captain and this woman earlier in the evening.

Full stories at:

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/20/world/europe/italians-embrace-a-hero-after-cruise-ship-accident.html

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5i7veXM6S1RW6I47vT_n8AmD5QBCQ?docId=21d55c981c3944b7acce344a386155c0

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/in-depth/costa-concordia/ships-captain-drinking-with-dancer-on-night-of-tragedy/story-fnbvduqy-1226249803146

THANKS! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 58,153 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

So, as someone who has an upcoming Costa cruise currently booked (Atlantica/Caribbean/March), I've been waiting and watching my email inbox for some sort of communication. It came today:

Dear XXX XXXX,

I have a moral duty at this time to write to you, since you have placed your trust and confidence in us.

The terrible Costa Concordia accident has affected us all very deeply, involving our Guests, our employees and one of our splendid ships.

Our thoughts and prayers go out to those impacted by this tragic incident and to their families. Around 1.100 Costa Cruises staff members worldwide have been working tirelessly since Friday night to deal with this emergency: providing support for the ongoing search and rescue operations, assisting Guests and crew, and making the necessary arrangements so they can return home safely.

This dramatic and exceptional event, which appears to have been caused by a human error, should never have occurred and no such incident must ever happen again.

At this time we are aware of acts of heroism on the part of crew members who saved other people's lives regardless of the risk to their own safety.

The crew of the Costa Concordia acted bravely and swiftly in an extremely difficult situation and succeeded - despite the terribly demanding conditions - in evacuating more than 4.000 people in the shortest possible time: we are proud of our commitment and dedication to your safety.

Anyone who knows us is aware that Costa Cruises operates in full compliance with all safety regulations and that our internal procedures are in line with - and in some cases even stricter than - those laid down in international standards.

All our crew members under go specific training on dealing with an emergency and assisting Guests in the event of an order to abandon ship. Each member of our crews holds a BST (Basic Safety Training) certificate and all perform fortnightly ship evacuation drills. Roles, responsibilities and duties are clearly defined and assigned to handle any such emergency. The level of preparedness of Costa Cruises' crews is also periodically verified by Coast Guard authorities and independent classification societies to ensure that it is in line with the requirements specified in the SMS (Safety Management System).

All our cruise Guests take part in a muster/lifeboat drill within 24 hours of sailing, as required by international law. Costa Cruises has a computerized system enabling us to check that all Guests participate in the safety drill.

Also, in order to guarantee maximum safety, the number of lifejackets, lifeboats and life rafts on each Costa ship is determined based on the maximum number of persons that can be carried on board plus an additional percentage as a safety margin. Lifeboats carry survival kits with food and water, first aid supplies and signaling and communication devices. Lifeboats are regularly inspected both by Costa personnel and by certification bodies. All Costa Cruises ships are certified by RINA (Italian Shipping Register), built to the highest standards and equipped with state-of-the-art technology. We are fully aware of our responsibility to those who place their trust in us; the many expressions of appreciation that we have received over the last few days from Guests who have sailed on our ships and know our people are a great encouragement to us at this time.

The maintenance of your trust and confidence in us will be the best reward for our efforts.

With thanks,

Pier Luigi Foschi

Chairman & CEO Costa Cruises

This Costa letter leaves me cold. Of course there can be no 'mea culpa' as that would be a legal disaster for the company. But this letter, well it could have been written by the company that owned the Titanic.

My expectation now is that every cruise company will take its safety standards to a higher level and own up to the reality that there is quite probably room for improvement. From this letter I don't believe Costa agrees with me!

CNN has posted the youtube video showing water rushing down stairs. I thought this video was discussed on here to NOT be the Concordia but of some pool issue on another ship.

The videographer goes through stateroom hallways and up stairs. There is nobody to be seen, no people in a panic, which I would assume would be the case if this were the Concordia.

Does CNN have this wrong?

Sorry if this has been discussed before.

http://www.cnn.com/video/?hpt=hp_t3#/video/world/2012/01/19/wr-new-video-from-inside-concordia-amid-chaos.cnn

CNN has posted the youtube video showing water rushing down stairs. I thought this video was discussed on here to NOT be the Concordia but of some pool issue on another ship.

The videographer goes through stateroom hallways and up stairs. There is nobody to be seen, no people in a panic, which I would assume would be the case if this were the Concordia.

Does CNN have this wrong?

Sorry if this has been discussed before.

http://www.cnn.com/video/?hpt=hp_t3#/video/world/2012/01/19/wr-new-video-from-inside-concordia-amid-chaos.cnn

This is a video from the carnival paradise in may of 09. you can look it up under you tube.

This is a video from the carnival paradise in may of 09. you can look it up under you tube.

Here!

People uploading this on youtube and calling it "Concordia flooding" etc. is one thing but CNN featuring it as new footage is another. Shame on them. :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Norman

Hi

yes I agree,we sailed on Classica a couple of years back just after she had been in a collision in Shanghai harbour leaving a 16 ft hole in the side,this had been covered over,but we were allowed to sail into hurricane force winds. "lifeboat" drill was conducted in many languages at one (instead of seperating us accordingly) with people who's languages it wasn't talking very loudly. The whole experience was very un nerving.

regards

Josie:eek:

Got something against academics? Yes, Deckhand veers off the topic at times but he's not the only one. It's also something that happens widely on the Internet.

We also have the same questions being repeatedly posted, links to videos not of the CC being posted and so on. Why not rant about those as well?

DiunghyRacer, I have nothing about academics, as long as they apply to the situation at hand. I think that deckofficer (Bob) and I came to that understanding last night.

It would be nice, rather to take something out of context (many politicians and attorneys do that...for a living) the the entire quote be brought to life. Thanks for shariing.

I also realize that your second paragraph has nothing to do with me.

Rick

Can you say $$$$$$$$$$$$$ ?

Can you say Cruise Industry at a crossroads as big as the Titanic event?

Here!

People uploading this on youtube and calling it "Concordia flooding" etc. is one thing but CNN featuring it as new footage is another. Shame on them. :rolleyes:

Cheers,

Norman

I've contacted CNN reporting their inaccuracy and showing them the original youtube posting. It is just a shame.

More footage from BBC of divers and a crew member telling people to go back to their cabins or the lounge.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-16646639

Go to the CNN link and click the feedback link on the top right of the screen. Maybe if enough of us send feedback, someone will get a clue. Doubt it though since that CNN link was posted here almost 12 hours ago.:rolleyes:

Are we allowed to carry those onto a ship? How about those fabulous multi-tools?

I had my Leatherman multi-tool confiscated from my checked luggage while embarking in Southampton because it had a locking blade, which I was told is illegal in England. I successfully negotiated to have it held on the bridge by the Security Officer and returned at the end of the cruise, but apparently if they had wanted to keep it, there would have been nothing I could have done to prevent them from doing that. It's one more useful thing that stays home now.

When the wreckage of the Air France flight that went missing between Paris and Rio in June 2009 was recovered in the Atlantic Ocean, there has been footage supposedly taken inside the cabin when the plane crashed that were shown by many prominent information channels. This footage was later identified as a fragment of the first episode of Lost (the TV series!). :eek:

I guess "checking and double-checking your information" is not a requirement anymore for journalists...

Have you read this?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-16638399

Don't get hung up on the headline...that's for sensationalist purposes and doesn't have anything to do with story.

Interesting, thank you.

Sooooo, what about the stories about the Captain of the Serena taking over? Even if the Bosio we read about was "just" an officer on the Concordia, not the Captain of the Serena, the impression given was that he was a senior officer. :confused: The only officer mentionned here is a young junior officer.

I think it will be a long time before a full true picture emerges...if it ever does.

Archived