Costa Ship grounded or sinking

cdamion

• Administrators

Hi, all,

Thank you all for participating in our message boards. As our cruise community continues to share thoughts, concerns, and information about the Condordia story, please remember that our guidelines don't permit the reposting of large blocks of copyrighted material on our boards. You may post an url or link to the information, and in the event the material is a press release from a cruiseline the whole thing may be posted as long as the source is clearly identified. For more information, please see the guidelines link at the top of the board.

Like everyone else, my thoughts are with the Concordia passengers and their families, and I hope by later today most of them will be back in their own homes.

I can't even imagine how awful this must be for everyone involved, my heart goes out to them.

How do you get home with no passport, no money and only the clothes on your back?

That is what Embassy's are for. I knew someone who worked at the American Embassy in Rome and they would replace lost/stolen passports and work with people to get them home (often helping family members call home to arrange for money to get home). I assume insurance companies will also be helping individuals to get home.

Many of these individuals were Europeans so they can probably get home with minimal help. The Americans probably have flights already booked within a few days and will need assistance from the Embassy to get passports replaced.

By no means is this an easy situation but Embassy's are here for those who need help and they will assist.

I remember one poster who recommended having a "grab bag" handy with passports, a credit card, medication that you use, things like that. I was also thinking of buying a couple of those metallic blankets and putting that into the bag. I'm not advocating a large carry-on bag or anything like that, just a zip-loc bag that you could grab and go with.

That is just the way the law works with accidents in Italy. Arrest first and decide if that was the right thing to do later.

Someone posted a link to where Italian seismologists were being sued by the authorities because they had not predicted that a severe earthquate was possible. They were not arrested, but it indicates the way laws are implemented there.

It is my understanding that under Italian law the police can hold someone for investigation up to 48 hours without charging them with anything. At the end of that period, they must either be charged or let go. My guess is the Captain and first officer are being held without charge for investigation. Whether they will be charged with anything I think remains to be seen.

I remember one poster who recommended having a "grab bag" handy with passports, a credit card, medication that you use, things like that. I was also thinking of buying a couple of those metallic blankets and putting that into the bag. I'm not advocating a large carry-on bag or anything like that, just a zip-loc bag that you could grab and go with.

We are boaters on the Great Lakes and have what we call a ditch bag. We keep several bottles of water, nuts or some type of food, flashlight, cat food, jackets, small first aid kit and hand held VHS radio, etc. On trips, it is packed and is right next to our life preservers. It is a plastic bag with velcro closure that is airtight, has a large strap so you can throw it over your shoulder and you can get them in different sizes. I had planned to take the smaller one on our last cruise to take on water excursions but forgot. I might make it a point to take it from now on. It could be in the closet with a few things in it and IF you had time to go back to your cabin, open your safe and toss your stuff in it.

I believe this link was posted earlier in the thread, but I'm going to repost it because it seems to have a lot of good info.

http://mikeyscruiseblog.com/2012/01/13/costaconcordia/

It does appear that the captain did abandon ship early and left his crew to fend for themselves. And that the ship was off-course. Whilst that could be a technical fault, it doesn't excuse his conduct. :(

I believe this link was posted earlier in the thread, but I'm going to repost it because it seems to have a lot of good info.

http://mikeyscruiseblog.com/2012/01/13/costaconcordia/

It does appear that the captain did abandon ship early and left his crew to fend for themselves. And that the ship was off-course. Whilst that could be a technical fault, it doesn't excuse his conduct. :(

I don't really see the need to guess what the captain did.

The italian authorities can certainly find out the truth. And,

as there were americans involved, the NTSB / Coast Guard my

assist / observe with the investigation.

Based on the people I've seen on cruises, a lot of them can't

differentiate between the captain, and the staff captain; and

many mistake a head waiter for the maitre d'.

And, the picture posted previously absolutely was the voyage data

recorder on some princess ship -- despite the poster who disagreed.

Here's a link to a company web site, and you can see a picture of

a similar voyage data recorder about 2/3 of the way down the page.

http://www.nauticexpo.com/cat/marine-electronics-navigation/voyage-data-recorders-vdr-for-ships-MA-1381.html

And, directly:

http://www.nauticexpo.com/prod/interschalt-maritime-systems/voyage-data-recorders-vdr-for-ship-31169-191324.html

Having no money or passport would be the least of my concerns about that time. :p

Agreed, but they are going to have to deal with this soon. It's food for thought on how prepared we would be for the unlikely event of an emergency.

Hi All,

Breaking news here is that divers think they can hear noise coming from trapped passengers, they are reporting more than one,

to try and find there way inside a ship on its side must be so hard, these divers are risking their own lives.

lets home this news story is correct. timed at 7.00pm UK time.

yours Shogun

Hi All,

Breaking news here is that divers think they can hear noise coming from trapped passengers, they are reporting more than one,

to try and find there way inside a ship on its side must be so hard, these divers are risking their own lives.

lets home this news story is correct. timed at 7.00pm UK time.

yours Shogun

I'm really surprised that BBC and CNN aren't providing more up to date information. Thanks for passing this positive news along.

Shogun, your post reminds me to take a moment to appreciate all the hard work the divers, rescuers, medical personnel, local citizens etc... have done to help the passengers since the beginning of this tragedy.

Jo

A portion of Costa's most recent statement on the accident appears to place blame squarely on the shoulders of the Captain:

As previously announced, the Judiciary, with which Costa Cruises is working, the detaining of the Commander, to which serious allegations have been made. It seems that the commander has made an error of judgment who have had serious consequences: the route followed by the ship was too close to the coast, and it seems that its decisions in emergency management have not followed the procedures that are in line Costa Cruises and, in some cases go beyond international standards.

Link: http://mikeyscruiseblog.com/2012/01/13/costaconcordia/

Here is what the voyage data recorder on a Princess ship (in this case, the Star Princess) looks like. It is usually found in the area on top of the bridge.

Yep... the data recorders ("black box") that I've seen on Princess ships are cylindrical. I would daresay that the photo posted by Shogun was the actual data recorder being recovered from the Concordia and not a Princess recorder (look at how tilted the deck is!).

Here's a picture of the Sapphire Princess' recorder located atop the bridge.

6660622947_237fd06f41_z.jpg

Sapphire Princess - Mexico - New Year's 2012 221 by RickEk, on Flickr

More voices have been heard from inside the ship.

Another thought: Although the captain may have been at fault initially he may turn out to be a hero in another way. After realizing the extent of the damage and the implications he may have continued to sail to shallow waters rather than fully capsize in deep water with many, many lives lost.

The newest statement from Costa blames the Captain.

You can read it on their website site. Just click the logo and the page about the Concordia will come up.

of course....he took the helm the other day with total intention of ruining the vacations of 3000 people.. :rolleyes:

More voices have been heard from inside the ship.

Another thought: Although the captain may have been at fault initially he may turn out to be a hero in another way. After realizing the extent of the damage and the implications he may have continued to sail to shallow waters rather than fully capsize in deep water with many, many lives lost.

From the current NY Times article:

Asked on television on Sunday about allegations that the captain had left the ship before the last passenger had been rescued, Francesco Verusio, the prosecutor in Grosseto, said that that had happened. “Unfortunately, I must confirm that circumstance,” he added.

Report after report seem to indicate that the Captain left his post prematurely. When all of the information comes to light I am doubtful that his actions will in any way earn him the title of "hero".

Archived