Costa Concordia sinking (merged threads)

ItalianGuest

and the point is?

I think they are saying that it would be safer if people took the time to show up for the Muster Drill... and when people did, it would be more effective if people took it seriously..

Is that what you meant?

This is such an unimagineable horror that thinking of the injured, deceased, the frightened people and their families and friends who probably are worried sick is all that matters at the moment. I just want to know they are receiving all the help possible and there are no more injuries or deaths.

That is all I can think of in this regard right now.

Babbel Fish Translation of STatement on Costa Website

14 saturdays January

Hours 5.00

It is a tragedy that upsets our company. Our first thought goes to the victims, and wants to express ours cordoglio and our vicinity to their relatives and friends. In this moment all our efforts are concentrated in the last operations of emergency, beyond that in offering attendance to the hosts and the crew who were to edge of the ship, in order to make them to re-enter to more soon to house. The emergency procedures are released immediately in order to proceed to the evacuation of the ship. The inclination that has assumed the ship progressively has rendered the evacuation operations extremely difficult. We want to express a deep one and felt thanks to the Coastgard and the forces from it coordinates, included the authorities and the citizens of the Island of the Giglio, than the rescue operations of and attendance to the hosts and the crew have been prodigate in. The company will collaborate, with the maximum availability, the competent authorities in order to verify the causes of the happened one ".

Hours 1.30

All the hosts who had to embark today on the ship to Savona and in the successive ports will come directly contacted from Coast Cruises.

Hours 1.00

“Coast Cruises confirmation that are in course the operations of emergency evacuation, near the Island of the Giglio, approximately 3.200 passengers and approximately the 1.000 members of crew to edge of Coast Concord. The evacuation operations have been carried out ready, but the position of the ship, than becoming more difficult, is complicating the last operations of disembarkation. Al moment is not possible to define the causes of the been necessary problem. The company is being striven with the maximum engagement for giving the maximum attendance. Coast Concord was carrying out a cruise in the Mediterranean left from Civitavecchia with ports of call previewed to Savona, Marseilles, Barcelona, Palm, Cagliari, Palermo. To edge there were approximately 1.000 passengers of ****onalita' Italian, beyond 500 Germans, approximately 160 French and 1,000 members of crew”.

Original Version

How could the reef not have been charted? Surely they knew it was there?

The news on TV just said it was a 'sandbar," regardless, I am still shocked this has happened. We will be sailing in 20 days or so, and I AWLAYS pay attention during the muster (of course I have always been in a job where disaster preparedness is essential), but I know this ship, crew, and passengers will be on my mind. I plan to say a special prayer for the passengers lost and their families.....

I know this kind of thing can happen, but I have always figured with all the GPS and information these days that it would be very, very, VERY unlikely. My goodness. It's just terrible. My heart breaks for the families of those persons who lost their lives.

Robin

From FoxNews.com at 12:03 CST:

Paolillo said the exact dynamics of the accident were still unclear, but that the first alarm went off about 10:30 p.m. (2130 GMT), about three hours after the Concordia had begun its voyage from the port of Civitavecchia, enroute to its first port of call, Savona, in northwestern Italy.

The coast guard official, speaking from the port captain's office in the Tuscan port of Livorno, said the vessel "hit an obstacle" -- it wasn't clear if it might have hit a rocky reef in the waters off Giglio -- "ripping a gash 50 meters (165 feet) across" on the left side of the ship, and started taking on water.

The cruise liner's captain, Paolillo said, then tried to steer his ship toward shallow waters, near Giglio's small port, to make evacuation by lifeboat easier.

But after the ship started listing badly onto its right side, lifeboat evacuation was no longer feasible, Paolillo said.

Five helicopters, from the coast guard, navy and air force, were taking turns airlifting survivors still aboard and ferrying them to safely. A Coast guard member was airlifted aboard the vessel to help people get aboard a small basket so they could be hoisted up to the helicopter, said Capt. Cosimo Nicastro, another Coast Guard official.

A statement from Costa Cruises, the company that runs the ship, confirmed that the evacuation of the 3,200 passengers and 1,000 crew had begun, "but the position of the ship, which is worsening, is making more difficult the last part of the evacuation."

I realize it's not a HAL ship, so maybe not for this board, but it is an interesting cruise event... so, I am posting.

As read on msnbc.com:

A cruise ship with up to 4,000 people on board ran aground on the island of Giglio, off the Tuscan coast, on Friday night, and UK media reported that at least two people died.

The Telegraph said some passengers jumped from the steeply listing Costa Concordia and swam a short distance to the island. A photo in the Telegraph showed the brightly lit ship teetering just outside a harbor wall.

Sky News quoted coast guard officials as saying two people died.

Sky News quoted passenger Luciano Castro as telling Italian media: ''We were having dinner when all of a sudden the lights went out. It seemed as if the ship struck something and then we heard a load bang and everything fell to the floor.

''The captain immediately came on the tanoy and said that there had been an electrical fault but it seemed very strange as the ship almost immediately began to list to one side. The glasses just slid off the table."

Just saw a report about this on Sky News and hear that the death count is now up to six. How very sad. Our thoughts and prayers are with all involved in this tragic event.

Truly a tragedy. On one hand, amazing that of 4200 potential, their count is currently at 8 deceased. I hope it stays low. Very sad day for cruise lovers everywhere. Never fun to think of this potential - and I agree with all who talk about making sure you attend the drills/muster. It might seem like it's all "fun and games" but you just never know what the seas can do -- after all, it's nature.

Archived