Asiana air info??

alexandra cruiser

Posted this questions under another and not answered..so..anyone flown Asiana air? Is it assoc.with AA?? They have best fares for Orlando to Hanoi and back from Ho chi minh,but never heard of them.Did look up review,but need personal feedback PLEASE>:confused:

One of my good friends is a Star Alliance frequent flier and goes to Busan, South Korea for business almost monthly, and always flies Asiana. He loves them (albeit in Business Class)...he speaks of their friendly crews, comfortable cabins, good food. Almost always on time, and luggage has always made it.

Korea is blessed with two fine airlines. Of the two, I prefer Asiana slightly but am more than happy to fly either one. The Seoul airport is easy for connections, also.

Please bear in mind that my comments are not based on experience flying economy class for long flights.

Did look under seatguru for business class seat,,and looks fine.Asked about AA because the US portion was booked on that airline. Glad to hear positive comments..;)

Then you must have booked this ticket on a third party site, correct? Not directly through Asiana?

Korea is blessed with two fine airlines. Of the two, I prefer Asiana slightly but am more than happy to fly either one. The Seoul airport is easy for connections, also.

I assume poster meant the Incheon airport, the newer international airport that largely replaced the old Seoul airport (which I believe is still used, presumably for domestic and some regional flights).

Here are some more reviews of Asiana: http://www.airlinequality.com/Forum/asiana.htm. And some reviews of "Seoul Incheon" airport http://www.airlinequality.com/Airports/Airport_forum/icn.htm

If you are still thinking of this, please make sure you understand that there is no "China Air".

And also that you understand the difference between "Air China" and "China Airlines".

and "China Southern" and "China Eastern".

Add to that "China Airlines" is a Taiwanese carrier, the other three listed are all [mainland] Chinese airlines.

I assume poster meant the Incheon airport, the newer international airport that largely replaced the old Seoul airport (which I believe is still used, presumably for domestic and some regional flights).

Here are some more reviews of Asiana: http://www.airlinequality.com/Forum/asiana.htm. And some reviews of "Seoul Incheon" airport http://www.airlinequality.com/Airports/Airport_forum/icn.htm

Since the poster is flying from the US to Hanoi, I didn't see any point in confusing the issue. He/she/they will never see the old airport.

and "China Southern" and "China Eastern".

Add to that "China Airlines" is a Taiwanese carrier, the other three listed are all [mainland] Chinese airlines.

And that there's only one of those four for which I would willingly buy a ticket - it makes it very important to know which is which!

• 1 month later...

Now feel much better about this airline,,,did book thru online travel site,,but called and got seat reservation myself,,and to double check I was indeed booked.

Will be flying business,,and will transfer at above airport,,,only 4 hrs to kill,,hopefully business lounge is nice with comfortable chairs and food..No mention of this one was made that I could find.;)

Since the poster is flying from the US to Hanoi, I didn't see any point in confusing the issue. He/she/they will never see the old airport.

Actually it's a reasonable thing to mention. There are lots of tickets that are issued START-LHR/LGW-END or START-JFK/LGA-END and people don't realize there's a change of airport in them.

Connections through Tokyo often require an airport change between NRT and HND. HND has most of the domestic flights and many of the regional flights (Korea, Taiwan, etc). For a country with advanced infrastructure the transfer between the airports isn't quick or inexpensive.

Connections through Tokyo often require an airport change between NRT and HND. HND has most of the domestic flights and many of the regional flights (Korea, Taiwan, etc). For a country with advanced infrastructure the transfer between the airports isn't quick or inexpensive.

Often times, there are domestic flights from Narita that are timed to meet blocks of incoming international flights. They may charge a bit more for domestic flights out of Narita versus Haneda, but the time and cost of transfer is saved...so in my mind, it's definitely worth it!

On a significant note, DL has service from LAX to both NRT and to HND. They also will sell flights from LAX to Asian destinations using the HND flights with onward departure from NRT. They do NOT highlight that there is a significant ground transfer involved, and the unwary could easily be in a bad situation.

The HND situation is because DL feels that there is demand for service into the much "closer-in" airport for traffic only going to Tokyo. But the computer still sees that as an available flight option.

At least at this time, Kimpo (old Seoul airport) does not get any TPAC service from the USA.

On a significant note, DL has service from LAX to both NRT and to HND. They also will sell flights from LAX to Asian destinations using the HND flights with onward departure from NRT. They do NOT highlight that there is a significant ground transfer involved, and the unwary could easily be in a bad situation.

We were caught short with this very problem last year. Used FF to get from DFW to Bangkok business class. Had to make a change in Tokyo. Found out we were booked into HND. $200 cab fare to get over to Narita for the continuing flight. Train service wasn't available after 11pm as I remember. Agent told us it was an alternate airport in Tokyo and we just assumed it was in the metro area. Ha! as we discovered, it was halfway to Yokahama! Wish I'd known about this board back then.

Lately I find myself checking into "Cruise Air" here before I look at anything else and have picked up some excellent suggestions.

Often times, there are domestic flights from Narita that are timed to meet blocks of incoming international flights. They may charge a bit more for domestic flights out of Narita versus Haneda, but the time and cost of transfer is saved...so in my mind, it's definitely worth it!

True, but quite often those flights are on smaller Regional Jets and sell out quickly. Another issue is most of the seats are at full-fare Y to cater to business travelers. If you're flying LAX-NRT-HIJ (Hiroshima) for example at less than an unrestricted Y fare, there is often no availability on the NRT-HIJ leg, forcing LAX-NRT//HND-HIJ.

Another headache is the transPac flights arrive around 4-6pm...just in time for the wonderful Tokyo rush-hour. Either you and your luggage must negotiate the Tokyo transit system (an experience in itself), or your bus or taxi may sit in traffic while the ample inter-airport transfer time drains away. On our last trip we purchased the bus tickets at NRT. The employee warned we might not make it in time due to a wreck on the freeway. There was really no other choice than to try...the bus driver detoured south to the "Aqua Line" (a bridge-tunnel that crosses Tokyo Bay). We made it to HND just in time, and got to see the Aqua Line as a bonus. It's a typical Japanese engineering marvel that has lost money since it opened. Must have cost the bus company hugely, since Aqua Line toll for a car is about $40.

We were caught short with this very problem last year. ....Lately I find myself checking into "Cruise Air" here before I look at anything else and have picked up some excellent suggestions.
We are here to help. I almost got caught in the HND vs NRT issue myself. Wanted to fly on DL 777s TPAC, as I like the pods up front. Makes it worth going down to LAX first for the better TPAC experience (plus I can have breakfast in the AS boardrooms). Almost bought a NRT-HND connection until I looked at it closely. So, it can catch the unwary, whomever it may be.

Feel free to come by anytime and ask a question...the stranger the better. (In other words, we get weary of "can I make the....")

• 10 months later...

Just flew business class on this carrier and it was wonderful. Seats converted to lay flat beds on plane we were on from Chicago to Seoul.Good food and great flight attendants.Planes on time(and even early on return).

Would fly with them again if going to Asia. Lounges were very nice with showers,good food,massage chairs,etc.:)

Archived