Best 1st Cruise for "casual" people?

janeinpa

My sister and I would like to cruise the inside passageway and glacier bay. We thought about going north from Vancouver to Anchorage then tour the interior ourselves. We have not cruised before and are put off by the need to dress up (it sounds like) every night -- and especially on formal nights. Holland lines are highly recommended, but they sound like they are particularly stuffy about dressing. We also aren't keen for a bit party atmosphere. Any recommendations?

We chose NCL for the freestyle and it sounds like it might suit your needs also. Only one formal night, and that is optional. Check it out. Don't be fooled by negative feedback; there is just as much positive on the Cruise Critic boards. Must admit, this is our first cruise; coming up in September, but the more I read, the more convinced that we have made the perfect choice. Some friends of ours have done the ferry trip out of Bellingham, and loved it. They especially liked going in and out of each and every port along the way. Don't know that I would like that, but it may be right up your alley. Good Luck In Your Search!!!! ;)

We're getting ready to go on our 5th cruise. We don't really like to get all dressed up either, and are very casual people. On one of the cruises we went on (RCL) we didn't go to either formal night. On the others, we went to one. The ships are big enough so you can really do what you want. You don't have to get dressed up, unless you want to go to the dining room on formal nights. Other than that, as long as you're not in jeans or shorts for dinner, you should be fine.

We did an NCL and didn't pack anything dressier that khakis and polos (yes even cute girly ones for me) and we never felt out of place- we wore jeans on many nights w/ a nice top. With there "freestyle" atmosphere you can eat and dress how you please-- we loved it! Mind you- we went the mexican rivera (doing our 1st Alaska in 29 days on Princess because of the intenary & price).

I think NCL or Princess as an alternative might be good for a more relaxed atmophere.[/quote

I have not been on NCL for quite a while so I can't comment on their relaxed atmosphere. I have been on HAL and Princess and I would consider both lines to be about equal. The dress requirements are the same for both. And, of course, evening dining in the buffet courts is casual on both lines.

I'd recommend NCL too. We've loved our cruising on NCL -- and went to Alaska last summer on the Sun and had a wonderful cruise. Freestyle cruising really appeals to our family, not only for the relaxed dress code, but also for the "no assigned seating" eating style. We never stick to a schedule when we're home -- why on earth would I want one when I'm traveling?

Particularly for Alaska, with the beautiful scenery, it worked great. If you were going through a particularly beautiful place, just wait and eat dinner 30 minutes later.

Hi janeinpa:

You sound like my kind of person. No foo-foo stuff. <G>

I concur with mukluk. Take the ferry from Bellingham to Juneau than take a smaller ferry to Glacier Bay and spend the night. The next (days/weeks/months) explore Glacier Bay than fly to Anchorage and go exploring.

Another option would be to take one of the smaller ships. Either Cruise West or Glacier Bay Cruiselines.

Rogue

Italy

My experience has been different than yours. I have been on numerous HAL sailings and only one Princess. The Princess trip was much more casual than any of the HAL sailings. The Horizon Court was open 24 hours a day for casual dining while the Lido on HAL had very limited evening hours. This was just my experience.

Anyway, for someone who really wants a casual experience, NCL appears to be the best choice.

My sister and I would like to cruise the inside passageway and glacier bay. We thought about going north from Vancouver to Anchorage then tour the interior ourselves. We have not cruised before and are put off by the need to dress up (it sounds like) every night -- and especially on formal nights. Holland lines are highly recommended, but they sound like they are particularly stuffy about dressing. We also aren't keen for a bit party atmosphere. Any recommendations?

just a suggestion--if you decide to do the northbound trip and choose a balcony, make sure you get one on the sratboard side ( the right side facing the front of the ship ). you will get the most out of the land you pass and be able to see more wildlife and sights along the way.

have a wonderful time and im sure you will pick a ship that will suite your needs.

jane

When we read our Princess brochure, we also got the feeling that they wanted you to 'dress up' ost nites and THEN there are the two formal nights. The formal nights are just what they are -formal, but you do NOT need high class evening gowns. A dressy pants suit will do fine. As for the other nights, it is a very relaxed dining experience. Regarless of what the brochures say, you can dress as you like in any of the dining rooms, jeans, sweatts whatever, it's all accepted. My wife and I relly like being served, so we rarely did any of thge buffets, but they are very good and if you wanted to skip the formal nights, they are there for you. Really, don't let this worry you, it's your vacatrion, so do your own thing.

jane

When we read our Princess brochure, we also got the feeling that they wanted you to 'dress up' ost nites and THEN there are the two formal nights. The formal nights are just what they are -formal, but you do NOT need high class evening gowns. A dressy pants suit will do fine. As for the other nights, it is a very relaxed dining experience. Regarless of what the brochures say, you can dress as you like in any of the dining rooms, jeans, sweatts whatever, it's all accepted. My wife and I relly like being served, so we rarely did any of thge buffets, but they are very good and if you wanted to skip the formal nights, they are there for you. Really, don't let this worry you, it's your vacatrion, so do your own thing.

"jeans, sweats, whatever, it's all accepted". The MAIN reason we will never take another Princess cruise. A total dumbing down of the cruise experience. And total disregard for your fellow passengers.

To the OP-NCL or the ferry is probably an experience you will enjoy and treasure. And would meet your requirements.

I do have to say, food is a very low priority for me sailing Alaska. If you are considering the Alaska Ferry, then you won't mind at all considering the buffets on a cruise ship. I however, would NEVER show up in the dining rooms in jeans and sweats at dinner. But dress pants and a nice top are certainly acceptable. A black top with a necklace would probably get you though formal night if you have dress shoes. :) Strongly consider many factors- including ports, time in port, glacier, route, price. On one ways I give a big edge to HAL for the Seward port, I'll be sailng RCI in August with Icy Strait a new stop for me. With going on your own interior at all costs try to budget enough time, meaning at least another week. Too many compromises are needed for any less usually. Take some time- hours and read back posts, a good education on Alaska travel. :) Necessary will be a copy of THE MILEPOST- head to your library for an older copy to look at, request visitor guides from each location. The more your know the better. :)

I would never choose the ferry as an alternative to cruising. It's not cheap, for one thing, and everything is extra - the food on board is overpriced and not all that good. You have very little time to spend in ports and the ferry terminals are often well out of town in the middle of nowhere. Without a car, you are stuck. You can't even get to a grocery store to buy extra food. The schedules are also not conducive to touring. When I went from Haines to Junuea last year, the ferry left Haines at midnight and arrived Juneau 4:30 am!

That said, I love the ferries and ride them when I can, but more as a way to get from one place to another than to "experience" SE Alaska. If you want a casual, laidback experience, I would highly recommend one of the small ship cruises such as Cruise West, Clipper, or Glacier Bay Cruise Lines. Many of the shore excursions are included, there may be as few as 15 guests on board up to a maximum of 130, the service is personalized, the food is as good or better than on the cruise lines (IMHO the food quality and choices have declined drastically on cruise ships the last few years), and you tend to get an experience that is more "up close and personal" with Alaska.

Perhaps it is "dumbing down" but I found that cruising in Alaska was quite casual and comfortable. On formal nights there were plenty of people in true formal attire (tuxes and formal gowns) but there were many more in less dressy clothes(suits for men and nice pants and dressy tops or "church" dresses for women). Then there were those who wore jeans and ate in the buffet. Dining in the formal dining rooms was wonderful. It was worth the experience to dress a little in the evenings. It isn't often that we go out to a restaurant where we get the kind of service that you get on the ship. I enjoyed being served and catered to in the dining rooms and I never felt uncomfortable in what I wore (well, except for the time that I found out that the panty hose that I packed were the wrong size!). I am also not a dressy person so I didn't wear anything really formal - just nice. Go. You will love it! BTW, as you can see from my sig file, we went on Princess and are going again in May. Just can't stay away from Alaska.

Kerry,

All of the ship pictures were taken on (or of) the Diamond Princess. There might be some taken from the motorcoach into the Yukon but there are no other ship pictures. In Tracy Arm we came upon several small boats but I don't know their names. At least one was a passenger vessel.

Archived