Will the recent tragedy change your decision to cruise?

I was wondering how people felt about cruising after this tragedy? I know I always have (in the back of my mind) a possible rogue wave hitting us, BUT it doesn't change my mind about cruising. I AM however afraid to fly, SO, if I was booked on a flight and then before I was to fly there was a disaster, I am that afraid that I would cancel my flight. TO be honest, I have cancelled (and lost my money) a flight before. I never cruised on Costa, was planning one once but didn't read very good things about them so I went with others.

(my prayers are with all those on the costa cruise and their families)

No, it doesn't impact my desire to cruise at all. It just reminds us that these accidents CAN happen and it is proof that we should take the muster drills seriously.

I am also afraid of flying. I have flown twice in my life, but do not have the desire to EVER do it again. If I can't drive there or take a ship/boat to get there, then I don't go. LOL

*Plus I hope this will make my next - and your next cruise that bit safer.

kind of what I am thinking too........I imagine ALL cruiselines will learn from this one

of course when you factor in as many cruiseships that are cruising and the number of passengers yearly vs. the number of incidents, cruising is already really safe anyway for the most part.

absolutely not :) I totally agree with the OP above........the odds of getting hurt or killed from driving to the store are much much greater than being hurt or killed on a cruise ship

I agree, my DH keeps on me about that because he wants me to fly to tahoe with him or to Italy. I don't know where my fear comes from it is just there. MY dear mother in law was terribly afraid of the water and would never ever go on a cruise. She had no good reason for her fear either. I am not afraid to drive but I am afraid to be in a car with certain drivers;) my point of the thread is I know there must be people out there who are hesitant to cruise and if that ill-fated cruise made up their mind not to go. Our job is to convince them that they will be ok...Now if someone could help me get on a plane again...:o

Absolutely no fear. I have no issue whatsoever. I figure it's somewhat a law of averages--how many ships, large and small cruise ships--are on the ocean at any given time, and if you factor in how long it's been since a tragedy of this magnitude, the chances of getting into this kind of trouble is so minute in the grand scheme of things...

It WILL however, make me rethink what I will pack, more from a standpoint of what I'm willing to lose, as strange as that may seem. Hard to explain... but am wondering if some of those people will ever see anything from their cabins again, especially the ones underwater... :(

but am wondering if some of those people will ever see anything from their cabins again, especially the ones underwater... :(

I'm almost willing to bet that when the salvage divers get on board, they find all the watertight doors open, can't think of any other reason why she sank the way she did. I'd also be willing to bet that when they get the doors shut, they'll be open to use pumps and compressors to blow many of the watertight compartments dry, and between that and salvage barges, they'll refloat the ship and take her to drydock.

As i watched the first images on Friday night and it sent a chill down my spine i did think maybe we need to re plan our Summer holiday. However then i reminded myself that i got back on a plane after swearing i'd never fly again after being on a flight from Italy where an engine blew and we had to make an emergency landing. My point is that those initial fears fade when you think about things logically. I hope some of those folk that were on the concordia allow themselves the joy of cruising again one day in the future. :)

Archived