Will the recent tragedy change your decision to cruise?

I was wondering how people felt about cruising after this tragedy? I know I always have (in the back of my mind) a possible rogue wave hitting us, BUT it doesn't change my mind about cruising. I AM however afraid to fly, SO, if I was booked on a flight and then before I was to fly there was a disaster, I am that afraid that I would cancel my flight. TO be honest, I have cancelled (and lost my money) a flight before. I never cruised on Costa, was planning one once but didn't read very good things about them so I went with others.

(my prayers are with all those on the costa cruise and their families)

I love it to much to stop.

It might my decision to cruise that cruise line anytime in the next 5-10 years, but to be honest, the odds were probably 1 in 100,000 I would have cruised that cruise line anyway. The situation with Carnival last year, Elation was it?, would have had more affect that this situation would, but it didn't.

It might my decision to cruise that cruise line anytime in the next 5-10 years, but to be honest, the odds were probably 1 in 100,000 I would have cruised that cruise line anyway. The situation with Carnival last year, Elation was it?, would have had more affect that this situation would, but it didn't.

You mean the Carnival Splendor when it was adrift at sea while doing the Mexican Riviera?

I had no intention of ever sailing Costa after the little bits here and there I'd read about them. I don't take most negatives reviews too seriously. But what I'd read about Costa never impressed me.

Now Thomson or Aida - maybe. A very slight maybe. Just because I'd like to go on the old Song of America with Thomson or because I just think Aida looks interesting.

Costa - not a chance, not then, not now, not ever.

Gina

No, I've always believed in waking up knowing that this could be the day I die and every day I don't is a bonus.

Just as I said at work when everybody at work was joking about it because i'm going on a cruise on Sunday, there's more chance of me dying on the coach down to Southampton than anything happening on the cruise.

Not at all. I will be more alert during the muster drill and that is about it.

The only time a disaster changed my mind about travel were the Florida Air disasters in the early 80's. We'd flown on them shortly before the plane crashed into the Potomac and later into the Everglades. After the Potomac and the deicing problem I decided I didn't want to use them again.

I'm pretty loyal to Royal and they seem to take safety pretty seriously. I would have thought other mainstream cruiselines would also, guess I was wrong on that count.

Like others, I believe my drive to the port from SC will be more risky than what will possibly happen to the ship

OK, I'll admit that it has freaked me out. I think we will cruise again, but not until my kids are old enough to fend for themselves. My 4-year old doesn't swim well yet (she's just now starting to do some basics!) and my 7-year old can swim about 25 feet, but then gets tired and needs to stop. I've had a very visceral reaction to hearing the stories that involve kids: about the 5-year old girl that is still missing, how people were pushing kids out of the way, and how the mom of a 3-year old was trying to get her son out, when the ship had already listed to the side. Because of the listing of the ship and the delay in getting the lifeboats down, there weren't enough lifeboats for everyone. If they had not been so close to land or of the water would have been colder, many of those who survived would not have made it. So, yes, it will take a bit of time for me to feel comfortable enough to get my family on a cruise again. Now, the funny thing is that my son is still asking to go back to a cruise. He absolutely loved the Adventure Ocean (kids club) and wants to go back to it.

My family and I were on the Crown PRINCESS 7-11-2006.

While nothing to compare to the Costa incident, the human error Listing event put 28 passengers in the hospital and I seem to recall 1 or 2 employee deaths. The event only lasted for approx 30 seconds but the aftermath of damge was astounding. :eek:

After that event we were not reluctant to cruise again. In fact our thinking is that we are probably pretty safe as to have something like that happen twice would be remote (i've never won the lottery so not sure how lucky I actually am). :cool:

So, we'll keep cruising as long as we have the funds and time to do it.

(I can't wait until we can do more cruising than we have):D

I think the entire fault for this tragedy is due to the incompetence of the Captain.

In summarizing the various stories I have read online:

1. He deviated from the approved route.

2. He used coordinates given to him by another captain.

3. He was more intent on his Modolvan love interest than his ship.

4. He should have stopped the vessel after it hit and called the main office to consult on the proper procedures.

5. He did not call a Mayday to the Coast Guard, but passengers called the police on their cell phones.

6. He dropped anchor and swung the ship around which increased the list angle and swamped the ship.

7. He did not direct the evacuation, but left it up to crew members.

8. He left the ship before it had been evacuated.

My wife and I have two cruises booked for this year. If I read stories which might indicate the Captain or the Crew on these cruises might not be competent, I will not hesitate to book another ship.

I think the entire fault for this tragedy is due to the incompetence of the Captain.

In summarizing the various stories I have read online:

1. He deviated from the approved route.

2. He used coordinates given to him by another captain.

3. He was more intent on his Modolvan love interest than his ship.

4. He should have stopped the vessel after it hit and called the main office to consult on the proper procedures.

5. He did not call a Mayday to the Coast Guard, but passengers called the police on their cell phones.

6. He dropped anchor and swung the ship around which increased the list angle and swamped the ship.

7. He did not direct the evacuation, but left it up to crew members.

8. He left the ship before it had been evacuated.

My wife and I have two cruises booked for this year. If I read stories which might indicate the Captain or the Crew on these cruises might not be competent, I will not hesitate to book another ship.

Keep in mind that this captain had no record of any "misbehavior" prior to this incident. :eek:

It does make me think.

The point isn't that the captain was having some kind of meltdown or delusion that made him unable to act properly, or in a timely fashion. The thing that scares me is that out of all the auxiliary officers and crew, it still took way too long to get a rescue underway, and the evacuation that did happen was incredibly chaotic and haphazard. That is something to think about, even to those who love cruising and currently feel invincible.

It's not about worrying over a loopy captain; it's about the idea that the entire emergency system seems to be flawed, and that is not acceptable for ships that are carrying thousands of people.

I'm sure that most of the people who boarded Concordia that day felt invincible as well.

Keep in mind that this captain had no record of any "misbehavior" prior to this incident. :eek:

I read that he did not have a spotless record, but can't remember what news story I saw that in. Obviously nothing as horrible as this event.

I did find this: http://articles.businessinsider.com/2012-01-18/news/30638248_1_ship-captain-ferrari

No, have a May, 2012 Italy/Med cruise tour books and will be there. Will also book a December, 2012 out of NY on the Med cruise.

Accidents/Negligence can occur anywhere, am I to seal myself up in a cocoon and not enjoy life.

I pray for God's protection and that is all I can do.

It does make me think.

The point isn't that the captain was having some kind of meltdown or delusion that made him unable to act properly, or in a timely fashion. The thing that scares me is that out of all the auxiliary officers and crew, it still took way too long to get a rescue underway, and the evacuation that did happen was incredibly chaotic and haphazard. That is something to think about, even to those who love cruising and currently feel invincible.

It's not about worrying over a loopy captain; it's about the idea that the entire emergency system seems to be flawed, and that is not acceptable for ships that are carrying thousands of people.

I'm sure that most of the people who boarded Concordia that day felt invincible as well.

====

Had this incident not caused the ship to list over to it's side and if the captain had stayed aboard and gave the proper orders things would have went smoother.

Of course if the Captain had just stayed on the correct course nothing would have occured.

That fire on Carnival a while back off of Mexico was handled in about as professional of a manner as possible given the situation of no power.

The worst non wartime disasters in maritime history have been largely due to negligence.

Titanic was 100% negligence and so was this latest one.

I was wondering how people felt about cruising after this tragedy? I know I always have (in the back of my mind) a possible rogue wave hitting us, BUT it doesn't change my mind about cruising. I AM however afraid to fly, SO, if I was booked on a flight and then before I was to fly there was a disaster, I am that afraid that I would cancel my flight. TO be honest, I have cancelled (and lost my money) a flight before. I never cruised on Costa, was planning one once but didn't read very good things about them so I went with others.

(my prayers are with all those on the costa cruise and their families)

Nope. My prayers are also with the victims, their families and friends, and those who survived.

Not "misbehavior" but recklessness. It was brought out that he had done the exact thing once before - though I guess he didn't get that close the last time. His crew didn't think too highly of him. One even went as far to say "he 'drives' the ship like he would drive a Ferrari. This guy was jut too full of himself. I mean, come on, what "idiot" would say on national television (Italy) that he was on board til the end. Passengers and crew proved that to be a lie. Also, Coast Guard De Falco also exposed him for what he is during his radio conversation with him. If I had to take a Costa Cruise, I would only do so if De Falco were the captain.

Being ex-Navy, that really sticks in my throat.:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

====

Had this incident not caused the ship to list over to it's side and if the captain had stayed aboard and gave the proper orders things would have went smoother.

Of course if the Captain had just stayed on the correct course nothing would have occured.

If if if. There should be a system in place for when the ifs happen. What if the captain got knocked unconcious? Nobody else on board is equipped to manage an emergency?

The captain, for all intents and purposes, seemed to lose his ability to think clearly, and it seems like there was no backup plan in place to accommodate this situation.

4000 people should not be depending on 1 person in a dire emergency. That's what scares me. We should feel secure knowing that there is a system in place that takes into account deviations from what is expected or probable in any emergency situation.

If if if. There should be a system in place for when the ifs happen. What if the captain got knocked unconcious? Nobody else on board is equipped to manage an emergency?

The captain, for all intents and purposes, seemed to lose his ability to think clearly, and it seems like there was no backup plan in place to accommodate this situation.

4000 people should not be depending on 1 person in a dire emergency. That's what scares me. We should feel secure knowing that there is a system in place that takes into account deviations from what is expected or probable in any emergency situation.

Maybe not, but they should be able to depend on the one person who is in charge and ultimately responsible for a ship and the souls onboard. He didn't lose his ability to think. He's a coward and obviously lacked a real sense of responsibility. Sorry, but the backup plan isn't the issue, it's someone who wasn't really the right person for the job.

For everyone who says they would have done the same thing (and I've seen and heard this a few times), they are not trained Captains in the maritime industry. It's supposed to be a different mindset than your average traveler. BTW, most maritime academies are also training individuals for the military and this behavior would never be tolerated there either. What he did is inexcusable and says more about his lack of accountability and his self-serving than anything else.

My family loves cruising and this tragedy hasn't changed our minds. We are frequently in different parts of the ship and have all agreed that if there is an emergency, we'll go to the nearet muster station WITHOUT looking for each other. The precious time spent tracking each other down could mean life or death for us. We'll meet up after evacuating.

This discussion was a direct result of the Costa accident.

I'll also be purchasing small waterproof flashlights.

Archived