What will you do to to make your next cruise safe in an emergency?

geocruiser

I've always gone but now I know why it is important.

as far as a go to bag. In a true emergency I am going to the life boats

and if everyone has a bag then there might not be room for the people.

So just get off the ship .

I've always gone but now I know why it is important.

as far as a go to bag. In a true emergency I am going to the life boats

and if everyone has a bag then there might not be room for the people.

So just get off the ship .

We're not talking about a suitcase here---just a small bag that will fit on your lap or between your feet to hold absolute essentials--especially vital medication and passports, money etc. It isn't as though you would be able to walk to the nearest drugstore and pick up the prescription you need once you get ashore. Some people get very sick quite quickly if they can't have access to their meds.

My DH and I have very different interests and are usually in different places on the ship. We will need two go bag so that each of us has one.

You really don't need two bags and we're only talking a very small 'pouch' of the most critical things...... passport, credit card, cash, a few days ziploc with must have medications .... at least that is all I'm talking about. (I'm not thinking hats and gloves and wool socks and whatever.) These few small things are not going to weigh anything nor take up room that is so needed for all the people. If I had pockets, I could stuff it in a jacket pocket, preferably one that snaps or zips closed.

Though you might be separated at the time of an emergency, you would join up wherever you are taken after evacuation.

Bleakly thinking here, maybe asking for passengers to honor formal dress codes is a way to find out who the trouble makers are who don't like to follow "rules" or orders on a ship. Huh? :confused: Maybe ships need to know who will be the good passengers in case of an emergency and which ones they have to keep under closer watch.

Flaunt a little request here may mean breaking rules there later. Okay, dark thought but this sort of incidence does make one take a closer look at those around oneself on any next cruise. Will they be helpful or hurtful in any given situation we may all be asked to face?

This has to be possibly the rudest and most offensive post I've ever seen here on CC. I can't say what is in my mind because I'm sure my membership here would be revoked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tend to agree with some of the posters, if there were an actual emergency, do we all really believe that we would have to provide ID to show which life boat we would be allowed to board and sent around the deck to the correct one while the situation worsened ? I would hope not but also hope that there would be enough room on all the life boats to accomodate everyone, and they would be able to get TO them....and they would be useable......Its very important to attend the muster drill and learn all we can, and do what we can to learn how to maneuver around the ship, so we could get where we need to go without adequate lighting etc. We are cruising in less than a month too, and while we will have this sad event in our thoughts, Im sure, we dont want to dwell on it and have it ruin our experience. Our hearts go our to all of those involved in this Costa tragedy.

We often cruise with our two children--ages 8 and 12--and will be on the Ryndam next month. HAL issues kids bracelets with their names and lifeboat numbers, and they NEVER take them off until the cruise is over. If the kids are in Club Hal in an emergency, staff will take your children to your lifeboat. You aren't supposed to try to get your kids yourself. That makes perfect sense.

However, today my husband and I discussed how you would really react. My overwhelming instinct would be to get to my children, but there are so many ways that could backfire. I can also see my son trying to get his little sister to safety on his own. And the children's life jackets are in the cabin--more are supposed to be available on deck.

This has always made me nervous. I know can't freak out as a parent and never let my kids out of my sight, and I know HAL stuff are well trained...and yet. We'll be asking a few questions next month and discussing emergency plans as a family. At least my children take muster drill very seriously--one of the few times they are both silent at the same time!

And to think that last cruise my main worry was dousing the kids in Purell because we were under Code Red.

I tend to agree with some of the posters, if there were an actual emergency, do we all really believe that we would have to provide ID to show which life boat we would be allowed to board and sent around the deck to the correct one while the situation worsened ? I would hope not but also hope that there would be enough room on all the life boats to accomodate everyone, and they would be able to get TO them....and they would be useable......Its very important to attend the muster drill and learn all we can, and do what we can to learn how to maneuver around the ship, so we could get where we need to go without adequate lighting etc. We are cruising in less than a month too, and while we will have this sad event in our thoughts, Im sure, we dont want to dwell on it and have it ruin our experience. Our hearts go our to all of those involved in this Costa tragedy.

No, of course, you wouldn't need ID to get in a life boat. But you would need one to fly home. You cannot fly internationally without a passport. You'd need a credit card/cash to buy a ticket home.

Good suggestions. We are going to be looking for Plan B escape routes. And carry wool socks, gloves and hat an at least one layer of wool clothing as emergency duds.

Bleakly thinking here, maybe asking for passengers to honor formal dress codes is a way to find out who the trouble makers are who don't like to follow "rules" or orders on a ship. Huh? :confused: Maybe ships need to know who will be the good passengers in case of an emergency and which ones they have to keep under closer watch.

Flaunt a little request here may mean breaking rules there later. Okay, dark thought but this sort of incidence does make one take a closer look at those around oneself on any next cruise. Will they be helpful or hurtful in any given situation we may all be asked to face?

What about those that flaunt smoking rules? Or smuggle alcohol on board? Or non-Mariners going to lunch on embarkation day?

This is one of the silliest posts I have seen relating to the Concordia sinking. :rolleyes:

I was a few blocks away from Ground Zero on 9/11 (I got into my office building about 10 minutes before the first tower cam down). There is no way of knowing beforehand how someone is going to react in a real emergency. I saw someone usually calm, collected and level headed become hysterical. Others unexpectedly were calm and organized. You just never know.

I like the Baggallini brand for travel wallets. I like and use the Teenee Bagg Crinkle Nylon every day, I like it because it fits in my purse, or I can just carry the wallet without my purse.

http://www.ebags.com/product/baggallini/teeneebagg-crinkle-nylon/47361?productid=510085

I just got the Ticket Organizer Bagg Rip Stop for my next cruise, but I am not sure if that will be the one I carry around, or my Teenee Bagg. The other reason I like these is I can put them across my shoulder to carry.

http://www.ebags.com/product/baggallini/ticket-organizer-bagg-rip-stop/47391?productid=790209

Just some suggestions!!

Agreed... I'm trying to put together my "plan" for our next cruise. The telephone number will be in our "emergency" bag. It's a different number than the number to credit card customer service, although I'm sure customer service could provide it.

I just wonder how helpful the service really is.

Thanks.

:)

1) I will keep my Smart Phone with me at All times, well except while I am in the pool. I have installed a "flashlight App" so I always have a light source.

2) I have aleady stored online in the cloud a scanned copy of my passport, perscriptions, credit card numbers, medical directive, trust agreement and emergency contacts.

3) The "go bag" ? Yea, I think I will have one, but it will be a fannie pack so I will my hands free to crawl, climb, etc.

I hope these ideas are helpful.

The point that Swiss Myst was making is that there are plenty of people out there that don't believe that rules or guidelines for some situations apply to them. Regardless of how trivial they think they are. And the type of rule or guideline is irrelevant. I can see where someone might believe that if someone disregards the smoking rules (or whatever), who knows whatever other rules they think don't apply to them. I see it happen all the time. I manage a full service restaurant in the hub terminal at a major airport. The airline's guideline is to arrive for your flight two and a half hours before departure. But, all the people who don't think that this guideline applies to them are the ones who bxxxxx and moan when their order isn't at their table three minutes after ordering. Don't follow the "rules,' don't expect something to go your way. These people are examples of troublemakers, regardless of degree.

Hi this is my first post I just had to reply. My husband and I are sailing with HAL for the first time on the 27th of January and are really looking foreward to it. With the Costa tragedy this weekend I know my first thought was to put our passports, cash, credit card and debit card in a zip lock bag with the life jackets just in case. Being with out ID and money has been very hard on all the passengers.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Excellent idea. Adding a zip lock bag to the safe is easy enough since thats where all the valuables ( and now maybe medicine ) should be.

Then I would get those PFD's ( life jackets ) off the shelf and try them on and lay out the cords the way it is easiest for you . Remember , a life "jacket" should be put on in just that way , as a jacket, and secured tightly so it won't pull over your head .

Enjoy the cruise , probably 100 years before another ship sinks , and I think the Hal crews are a lot better from what I've seen.

Has anyone had first hand experience with the 24 Hour Service Assistance coverage provided by many credit cards and by travel insurance? They say they will assist with travel document replacement, emergency cash transfers, language interpretation, etc. in the event of an emergency.

While we all hope we aren't in need of this type of assistance, has anyone used the service and was it useful?

Thanks.

B

Unfortunately I have - many years ago. I had replacement credit cards in 48 hours (but i was in the U.S.) I don't know how you could get replacement cards to Europe as quickly

I must admit I can not go to the Costa board, especially after what Sapper1 had to say about the posts. I also agree with the PP who said you never know how you will react in an emergency situation until you have been in one. As someone who manages risk and emergencies for the government, I know how I react personally but since I travel with my non-swimmer DH and my two kids I can't say that I know how I would have reacted in this emergency. So every situation is unique.

I do know that I may not book another cruise until the kids are older. I have already talked this over with DH and we have the plan of what we would do if it was just the two of us. We agree with all the helpful hints but I am not sure I could leave the kids up to Club Hal to evacuate. It is a question I have to answer for myself and until I can answer "yes I trust Club Hal with the lives of my two kids" we can not cruise again as a family. Or if we do, we will stay together.

I wonder if culture plays a role in how we react. Do Europeans (generalizing here) react differently than North Americans? After Sapper's comment regarding the posts on the Costa board I wondered if this may have played a role for this disaster.

I also don't think how you dress on formal nights plays a role in how you would react. I remember reading some articles that some tux-wearing men from first class made it onto the live boats nearly 100 years ago when the Titanic struck an iceberg.

The Costa tragedy got me thinking how I can keep safe on our cruise. What will you do to to make your next cruise safe in an emergency?

For me:

1. I will make sure I really know the lay out of the ship. Know how to get to the life boats.

2. Have a plan where to meet my husband if we are not together.

3. Will keep our meds handy in the cabin along with our passports,some money and a credit card.

4. Keep flash light in our cabin.

5. Have copy of passports in my wallet.

What will you do?

Sounds like a good plan.

I must admit I can not go to the Costa board, especially after what Sapper1 had to say about the posts. I also agree with the PP who said you never know how you will react in an emergency situation until you have been in one. As someone who manages risk and emergencies for the government, I know how I react personally but since I travel with my non-swimmer DH and my two kids I can't say that I know how I would have reacted in this emergency. So every situation is unique.

I do know that I may not book another cruise until the kids are older. I have already talked this over with DH and we have the plan of what we would do if it was just the two of us. We agree with all the helpful hints but I am not sure I could leave the kids up to Club Hal to evacuate. It is a question I have to answer for myself and until I can answer "yes I trust Club Hal with the lives of my two kids" we can not cruise again as a family. Or if we do, we will stay together.

I wonder if culture plays a role in how we react. Do Europeans (generalizing here) react differently than North Americans? After Sapper's comment regarding the posts on the Costa board I wondered if this may have played a role for this disaster.

I also don't think how you dress on formal nights plays a role in how you would react. I remember reading some articles that some tux-wearing men from first class made it onto the live boats nearly 100 years ago when the Titanic struck an iceberg.

I think that we have all been jolted out of complacency to one degree or another. We have been forced to think about eventualities that we always glossed over in the past as we went about enjoying our cruises.

You raise good points about your comfort level with leaving small children at Club Hal even though I am sure the staff is very competent and trustworthy. They are, after all, YOUR children and you have to do what you are comfortable with at the moment.

As to the order of loading lifeboats, it just makes common sense to load people as they arrive at their assigned station and not worry about holding back men until all women and children are aboard. That just wastes time. There is enough space on the lifeboat for everyone assigned to that station. I would not get on a lifeboat without my husband and would wait until he was allowed to board. Add all the like-minded wives and you get an unnecessary delay in boarding. Mothers of young children would most likely have to make the decision to board with their children and hope their husband is able to follow later. Children change everything.

I realize that conditions on the Concordia did not permit a guidebook style evacuation and that it was not possible to get to one's assigned life boat station.

Investigations will show that there is a great deal to be learned from this disaster and will no doubt lead to industry wide changes in the way of doing things.

We will still cruise but the rose coloured glasses are off.

I realize I have addressed issues from two different threads as there is a life boat loading thread going as well. The thoughts on this situation just come so quickly.

Thanks so much for the excellent suggestions here re: disaster preparation.

Some of them I'd never thought of; others I had not implemented with the same level of efficiency as proposed. My family laughs at what they consider my over-preparedness, and I'm learning new ways to better and more unobtrusively achieve the desired security.

Don't remember if it's already been mentioned, but in terms of flashlights my TA wisely packs the type that fit on headbands. In normal circumstances useful for reading; in more challenging circumstances they leave your hands free.

As far as the need to identify potential "troublemakers" aboard via the dress code, I've worked with some "troublemakers" and, in an emergency requiring bold action, they would be the first I'd turn to.

A couple years ago when we renewed our passports I also got the passport cards so I would have something that would make it easy to replace our passports if for any reason we ever got stuck in port and watched the ship sail away with our passports. I'm in the habit of taking those cards, a major credit card, and some cash ashore with me in a Ziploc bag. Now I will probably start keeping the baggie with me on the ship. I always carry a small purse, and the Ziploc will easily fit in the inner zip pocket of that purse.

After the Splendor fire, I added a small but powerful flashlight to our cruise supplies. I just added a flashlight app to my iPhone. I tested it in a closet...it works great!:D

Good ideas being passed along here. One question for those who are keeping a few essentials in a bag. Are you going to tote this with you everywhere you go during the cruise? or perhaps leave it in your cabin, med's passport, extra cash. When the announcement to abandon ship comes and you are at the far end of the ship from your cabin. While you are fighting your way back to your cabin I will be boarding one of the first lifeboats.

People in case of an emergengy do not let personal effects cost you your life. This being at home or on a plane, train auto or cruise ship.

Swissmyst if you are on my lifeboat and we are not picked up for many days. People are starving and we have to resort to unimaginable measures. Sure hope you are not to tough and stringy, because there will not be any drawing of straws. You would probably wish that the low class riff raff would quit cruising.:rolleyes:

A couple years ago when we renewed our passports I also got the passport cards so I would have something that would make it easy to replace our passports if for any reason we ever got stuck in port and watched the ship sail away with our passports. I'm in the habit of taking those cards, a major credit card, and some cash ashore with me in a Ziploc bag. Now I will probably start keeping the baggie with me on the ship. I always carry a small purse, and the Ziploc will easily fit in the inner zip pocket of that purse.

After the Splendor fire, I added a small but powerful flashlight to our cruise supplies. I just added a flashlight app to my iPhone. I tested it in a closet...it works great!:D

I'm going to look for a flashlight app. The best ideas I've seen: the flashlight app, and carrying copies of vital documents in one's wallet, because those are things you would have on your person at all times. I think the comments that remind us that the only important issue should be getting off the ship and saving your life, not your passport or credit card are spot on.

Archived